Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

24/26 1984 cannondale SM

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

24/26 1984 cannondale SM

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-19, 08:31 PM
Buellster

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
24/26 1984 cannondale SM

What do I have here? Not really an appraisal because I'm not looking to sell it, but knowng it's worth and history is always fun. If it turns out out to be something special I wouldnt want to go changing too much. (I don't think it is, but somone might haha)

This thing is really interesting.
May be SM500 or perhaps 300 not sure. Bottom bracket says BB as first two letters, vintage Cdale says that's an 84.

It's from that brief and wonderous time they did the 24 on the rear and the 26 on the front. The rear 24 rim is branded cannondale so I'm thinking it's the orginal which is suprising.
The RD is likley a replacement as its Shimano AceraX and everything else is Suntour.
Fd is a suntour XC comp
Cranks are sugino GT
BB is also suntour, looks to be orginal

planning in fixing up, putting some city tires on it and riding the hell out of it.

Those bars though!

Love the shifters

Sugino crank

That 24\" rim though.

Very intersting rear brake.

Replacment RD

Did not onow Cannondale made rims

Front brake Old school shimano canti?

Newer looking seatpost

Rear brake is some mind of Weinman with a knob that says "Weinmam Semi-Automatic"
Front brake is a center pull cantilever over a 26 front tire, also orginal cannondale branded rim.
The handlbars are all awesome bullmoose style
Brake levers say "Magura" which I've never heard of
And
Perhaps my favorite part, other than the bullmoose bars, are the suntour bar mounted thumb shifters. They have that one way clicky style that's so lovley on the old bar ends.
Old 06-09-19, 09:02 PM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
They are unique and considered the first mass produced Aluminum MTB (before Klein even). Both wheels should be CDale, Sun I believe with Specialized sealed hubs. Bars Specialized "Mountain Bike".

Unfortunately it appears they removed or sold some nice parts. SR BMX seatpost and Deerhead Derailleur. Good to see MX rear brake is still there.
Old 06-09-19, 09:46 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Very cool, and very tall, too. 👍 I call dibs, in case you decide you hate it. 😁😉
Old 06-09-19, 09:47 PM
Buellster

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikerider007
They are unique and considered the first mass produced Aluminum MTB (before Klein even). Both wheels should be CDale, Sun I believe with Specialized sealed hubs. Bars Specialized "Mountain Bike".

Unfortunately it appears they removed or sold some nice parts. SR BMX seatpost and Deerhead Derailleur. Good to see MX rear brake is still there.
I was told the guy who had it before seller rode it around as a daily so I am imagining they where replaced as needed.
I'm impressed as much stuck around as did on a bike that was getting used. I'm messing with the rest wheel now and was amazed to find it in tru haha
Old 06-09-19, 10:29 PM
Buellster

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by stardognine
Very cool, and very tall, too. 👍 I call dibs, in case you decide you hate it. 😁😉
That's why I was interested! I figured it would be a 22" with that head tube but it measures closer to a 20". Still workable for me though which is rare!
I'm kind of loving the weirdness. If I did part with it it would probably just be the frame I'd sell. I'm not letting go of the bullmoose bars or the shifters anytime soon Haha