Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Touring On A Trike

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Touring On A Trike

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-05, 05:37 AM
ctbent

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Touring On A Trike

I am thinking of touring from Florida to Connecticut on my trike starting next April. I feel comfortable riding my trike in New England and have done several short 3-4 day tours on 2 wheel recumbents. Can anyone share there experience touring on a trike and in states along thr route on a trike? Thanks ,Gary
Old 10-15-05, 05:23 PM
jnoble123

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Trek 520, Giant VT1, Norco Scrambler, Norco Unicycle, Dirtsurfer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi.

Jay Singer wrote an excellent article about touring using his trike. The article is called "Touring Cycle Case Study - Why I Tour on a Recumbent Trike" and can be found at https://www.bicycletouring101.com/Tou...mbentTrike.htm

Jay also included his email address in the article. He is very approachable and would likely try to answer the questions that you may have.

~Jamie N
Old 10-15-05, 05:34 PM
NoReg
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Some of the places I went, it would have been useful to have a pair of casters on one side so you could have pushed it along the ridiculous bike allowances provided on some "the only way to get there from here" bridges.

I came across a new surface I don't remember from the past. Is is just some asphalt that is compressed but not all the way to the edge. It all looks the same, so when you wander a little over to the right, you run into stuff like gravel. Staying far enough over on that stuff would effectively block your lane.

Of course your question is whether there are any such hazzards on your proposed trip, can't help with that. I would sure prefer a trike on hills, compared to my 2 wheel recumbent.
Old 10-16-05, 07:52 AM
denisegoldberg

Bikes: Peter Mooney (touring), Bike Friday Pocket Rocket (road), Bike Friday Air Glide (touring)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are a number of journals by folks touring on trikes in crazyguyonabike.com.

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/journ...category_id=22