Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Any must see/do in Italy?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-06, 12:38 PM
paddlerx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We're heading over next week to a road camp at the Hotel Dory near Bologna. Doing that for 7 days then going to the western coast and then south for an additional 10 days. First time ever in Europe. Any comments on what we (as cyclists/hikers/paddlers etc) shouldn't miss seeing/doing/eating/drinking?

thanks.
Old 04-11-06, 12:40 PM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
If you go anywhere north, ride the Stelvio.
Old 04-11-06, 01:15 PM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Italy is full of art and culture and history. Read up on your favorite subjects and try to track them down in real life. If you like bicycling, then study some of the old Giro routes and climb the same passes. Food varies a lot between the north, central, and south, so try them all. If you like art, Michelangelo, DaVinci, Bottacheli, and many others did their best work in Italy and most of it is now housed in various famous museums.
Old 04-11-06, 01:46 PM
Avalanche325

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze / GT Avalanche

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I haven't been there for quite a few years, and this is not coming from the cyclist perspective. I spent some time in Sardinia and got to the mainland a few times. So here is some general stuff:

Rome - be prepared for sensory overload. All of the well known tourist things are ACTUALLY worth it. The Vatican (the little staircase on the left when you enter takes you up to the roof and inside and outside of the main dome-must see), Vatican musium (on the right side of the Vatican - must see). There is a castle just down the street (Castile Angelo?? or something like that - must see), the Colosium and Ancient Rome are all worth it if you are into any kind or art, history, or architecture.

If you get to the Naples area one of the big things there is the cameo factory.

I remember there being a little place near the docks whose sign read "OHT DOGS & AMBURGERS". Give it a try and let me know. I never got brave enough.

Naples area MUST SEE - The Isle of Capri. Take a ferry or hydrofoil to the island. There is a town at the bottom and a tramway to the town at the top. Stunning place.

Sorento - the city on the cliff. Another beautiful place.

Pompeii and Mt Vesuvius, definately good to see. There might be a good climb in there.

Food - It varies quite a bit between areas. Thy the local specialties. I always liked finding out where the locals eat. Ask shop owners, etc. If you don't speak Italian, you my have to guess and point at the menu. But, that's half the fun. Calzones are always great for lunch.

General hints. In the main areas, most people speak some, if not fluent, english. But, if you don't try a few words in Italian, they won't try their english. Make an effort, and they will shift to english for you if they can.

BE CAREFUL IN NAPLES it is not the safest place. Those nice little kids are pickpockets! My "city mode" includes wallet in front pocket, and hand on wallet. I have never had a mishap, but know people that have.

Driving is a whole different thing. Some sidewalk driving seems to be allowed.

Crossing the road - If you make eye contact with the driver, he expects you will take care of yourself and get out of the way. Here is the procedure: Look down, use your peripheral vision, step into street. If you hear brakes squeeling, procede. If not, jump back.

It is a great country to see. I am sure you will enjoy it.
Old 04-11-06, 04:08 PM
botto 

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
if it's your first time, then don't be a philistine: forget the bike and spend your time steeping yourself in Etruscan, Roman and Italian culture.

Originally Posted by paddlerx
We're heading over next week to a road camp at the Hotel Dory near Bologna. Doing that for 7 days then going to the western coast and then south for an additional 10 days. First time ever in Europe. Any comments on what we (as cyclists/hikers/paddlers etc) shouldn't miss seeing/doing/eating/drinking?

thanks.
Old 04-11-06, 04:42 PM
johnny99

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by botto
if it's your first time, then don't be a philistine: forget the bike and spend your time steeping yourself in Etruscan, Roman and Italian culture.
I enjoyed the museums and churches in Italy, but I would get bored stiff doing that every day. Mix it up. Go climb a mountain one day, then see a museum and a church the next day. One nice thing about Italy is that stuff is close together, so you could even visit a museum in the morning (when they are least busy), then climb a mountain in the afternoon. Or go for a long ride out to a series of remote churches and hilltowns that are off the standard tourist track. Days are long during the summer and Italians don't eat dinner until 8pm or later, so you have a lot of riding time in the long afternoons.

In 17 days, you'll have time to see a lot of stuff, but don't try to see everything or you'll turn your brain into mush.
Old 04-11-06, 04:52 PM
fmw
Hoosier Pedaler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go visit Venice, at least for a short while. There is nothing else in Italy quite like it - or in the world for that matter. If you happen to get South into Campagna province, throw them a kiss for me. I lived along the Amalfi drive for some months many years ago. That's on the South shore of the Bay of Naples. Also don't be afraid to befriend the Italians. They are very friendly and they love to practice their English on Americans. You'll find a lot of anti-Americanism in Europe but not much of it in Italy. The Italians tend to get along with everybody. You won't be able to shut them up if you give them a chance. Mostly, have a great time.
Old 04-11-06, 04:56 PM
Nubie

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Diverge Carbon Comp, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert, 2020 Specialized Creo Expert

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I went to Rome and Florence last winter with my family, and there are 2 things that we couldn't eat enough of: Gelato (like ice cream but oh so much better!) and panini. But pretty much everything was fabulous. Get a good guide book - we liked Rick Steve's better than Lonely Planet, but YMMV. As mentioned above, pickpockets are everywhere, especially Naples. We heard a story from an American tour group that one of their party was pickpocketed by 2 little kids - one of them punched him in the nose while the other lifted his wallet when he reached his hands to his face. Invest in a money pouch that you can hang around your neck, wear under your clothes around your waist, or that clips onto a belt loop and stuffs into your pocket. LL Bean makes some that are multi-functional.

Be ready to crave gelato when you come back to the states.

Last edited by Nubie; 04-11-06 at 05:43 PM.
Old 04-11-06, 05:28 PM
Sapper89

Bikes: Look 586, Look 566, Ghost SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You gotta see the Campy factory.
Old 04-11-06, 08:28 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by paddlerx

thanks.
If you have to ask, give me your ticket.

Koffee

P.S. If you're going to be able to pick me up a Giro d'Italia jersey, then drop me a PM.

Old 04-11-06, 08:53 PM
Al1943

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
You could spend the rest of your life trying to experience the "must see/do" elements of Italy. Next month we're going over for the third time and will follow a part of the Giro d'Italia. Go to Florence and climb the 600 steps to the top of the Duomo, and to Rome to see the Colosseum, two of my favorites.

Al
Old 04-11-06, 09:02 PM
Mike552
Padovano

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take some time in the north of the country. Like some people mentioned, Florence (Firenze) is beautiful and a must see. If you're heading down to Pisa, don't forget to check out Livorno and Lucca, and if you ride the alps... Vicenza, Padua (Padova), Mestrino, etc. are must sees. Venezia obviously. Go ride your bike through the Asiago mountain range for a mind cleansing experience!!!

BTW... I almost forgot Cortona. No words can describe this city frozen in time. There's a "Trattoria" there to die for. I think it's the only one in the town. It's such a beautiful secluded paradise with a panoramic view.
Old 04-11-06, 09:03 PM
Az B
Fattest Thin Man

Bikes: Miyata 610, Vinco V, Rocky Mountain Element

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I'll second the trip to Rome, it's amazing.

Two tips I haven't seen posted here yet:

If you need a cop, go to the Carabiniere. Forget the Polizia. The Polizia are a joke, the Carabiniere are like superheroes by comparison. Don't be intimidated by the submachine guns that most of them carry, they are usually really nice and very helpful.

Never use gypsy taxis in Rome. They will generally rip you off. If you use a real taxi, ask the driver how much it costs to get where you're going before you get in. Most times they will give you a price, never turn the meter on, and charge you exactly what they stated earlier. When this plays out, you generally just saved about half your normal fare. When you don't ask what the cost is, they will turn on the meter and the ride will cost more. And stay away from the gypsy cabs.

Az
Old 04-12-06, 08:33 PM

Third tip- don't take a taxi. Period. They will rob you blind. If you have your bike, ride there. Or take the trains. You'll be fine.

Koffee

Old 04-12-06, 08:43 PM
Al1943

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
We had very good experiences with Taxis in Rome, lucky I guess.
Old 04-12-06, 09:30 PM
oilfreeandhappy

Bikes: Shasta Kiliminjaro, Optima Dragon Recumbent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fmw
Go visit Venice, at least for a short while. There is nothing else in Italy quite like it - or in the world for that matter. If you happen to get South into Campagna province, throw them a kiss for me. I lived along the Amalfi drive for some months many years ago. That's on the South shore of the Bay of Naples. Also don't be afraid to befriend the Italians. They are very friendly and they love to practice their English on Americans. You'll find a lot of anti-Americanism in Europe but not much of it in Italy. The Italians tend to get along with everybody. You won't be able to shut them up if you give them a chance. Mostly, have a great time.
I second the Venice opinion. It really is like being on another planet. You just don't realize how loud cars are, until you visit this city where cars are only allowed at the train station.

Also, the Trenitalia (Italy's part of Eurail) was very nice. If you take the trains, go out of your way to start conversation with some of the Italians. They probably won't say anything, unless you initiate the conversation. Once you open the door though, they will be your long lost friend!

The train going to Sicily is incredible also. They actually load the train on the ferry! Visit Taormina, it just may be the most beautiful place on the earth.
Old 04-12-06, 10:27 PM
RockyMtnMerlin

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lots of good advice here. I second the advice on Naples and Sorrento(and agree with the contrast) - the Almafi coast is fabulous (and sometimes crowded). If you have time to see the Dolomites up north, it worth the trip. They are truely beautiful mountains. But the best advice is eat the food and drink the wine!
Old 04-13-06, 01:09 AM
dorkypants

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Campy factory visits?

Originally Posted by Sapper89
You gotta see the Campy factory.
How did you manage to arrange a visit? I was told Campy doesn't do factory visits (except if you have connections, of course).
Old 04-13-06, 04:04 AM

If you do go to Venice, I wouldn't stay there if you're on a budget- it's expensive. But... stay in Padova or Vicenza for much MUCH cheaper, then take the train in to Venice.

It is difficult to get into Campy without connections, but it's located in Vicenza if you can secure a walk through.

Koffee

Old 04-13-06, 04:52 AM
pdxtex
Portland, OR, USA

Bikes: kona paddywagon, trek 2.1, lemond nevada city, gt zrx

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OMG, go to Naples and get the OG slice of pizza. Go up to San Martino for a view of the city, buy a "Bud" (Italian packaged Budweiser is just called Bud), but watch out for the locals that like to chuck their beer bottles on the roofs below the parking lot. Rome is fun but Naples is the real deal.
Old 04-13-06, 09:48 AM
johnny99

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by koffee brown
If you do go to Venice, I wouldn't stay there if you're on a budget- it's expensive. But... stay in Padova or Vicenza for much MUCH cheaper, then take the train in to Venice.
I would rather stay in a cheap hotel in Venice than a fancy one outside of town. Venice is magical early in the morning or late at night when the day tourists are gone. Bikes are not allowed in Venice, though, so that may limit your options.
Old 04-13-06, 12:27 PM
Ostuni
Guinea Hood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Al1943
We had very good experiences with Taxis in Rome, lucky I guess.
same here, but it's not luck: recent reforms and regulations have improved the taxi service and cleaned up a lot of the abuse and corruption...
Old 04-13-06, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by johnny99
I would rather stay in a cheap hotel in Venice than a fancy one outside of town. Venice is magical early in the morning or late at night when the day tourists are gone. Bikes are not allowed in Venice, though, so that may limit your options.
You must not have been to that part of Italy. Either that, or you just spend your time in the tourist traps, which is a shame.

Vicenza and Padova are old cities with rich culture- and even the hostels there in Venice are expensive. However, just 45 min out of Venice (or less, if you go to Padova), you can stay in a quaint albergo with air conditioning and right in the city central, and you can leave the hotel and stroll around some of the most beautiful parts of Vicenza and Padova, meet wonderful locals, stop by the Campy factory (if you can get the invite, of course), and if you're lucky and it's opera season, a lot of the cast stay in Vicenza and Padova and then commute into Verona for their performances. So you can lay in bed at night and listen to all the opera singers there practicing in their room.... man, I would take that experience rather than spend the same amount to stay in a hostel with 16 to a room, with a soggy bun and watered down cocoa for breakfast, plus 35 bucks a day to get around Venice. There's just no point to it. You can actually extend your visits to Venice, do more, and buy more (because of course,when you get to Murano, you're going to buy lots and lots of glass products), and your experience will be so much better.

Or you can do like the other tourists who are just like a herd of sheep following some nerdy guidebook and waste your money staying in some overpriced, overbooked hostel in Venice.

Koffee

Old 04-14-06, 12:25 AM
dorkypants

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by koffee brown

Koffee
The Lido island is only about 15 minutes away by water bus (vaporetto) and has more choices of affordable hotels (as well as very pricy ones on the beach).

Venice is a completely different place at night, when the daytime tourist crowds have gone home. When the fog rolls in you can just about feel the intrigues which used to go on, Casanova prowling about...

It's still sinking, while the Venetians continue to debate endlessly how to protect the city. Visit it before it's too late.