Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Do you bring your helmet on long tours?

Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 01-22-05, 04:17 AM
motion5447
Chief Wheelfoot

Bikes: kona jake, dahon boardwalk, Surly LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Im trying to decide if i should bring my helmet on my first extended tour. Im riding an adventure cycling route, and hope that they have picked safe routes. I really dont want to get out there and be the only one on the road, and end up lugging my helmet around.

I always wear mine when im commuting, because of the risk of manuvers and the stop and go of cars. It seems if i get hit on a 55mph road, my helmet might not do to much good.

Any advice on this?
Old 01-22-05, 04:33 AM
royalflash

Bikes: Lemond Alpe d´Huez, Scott Sub 10, homemade mtb, Radlbauer adler (old city bike), Dahon impulse (folder with 20 inch wheels), haibike eq xduro

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just take the helmet

Plato

(well if he was alive today he would have written it)
Old 01-22-05, 05:19 AM
Tug

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ditto. Take the helmet...and...don't forget to wear it!
Old 01-22-05, 05:27 AM
-=solewheelin
go go go go

Bikes: 2000 Trek 7000 - Bontrager wheels - '79 Brooks B17 - RockShox Post - wellgo shoes and WAM717 pedals - Azonic riser bars - Jandd Racks , Custom Surly Cross Check in bean green , Trek 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, see what Adventure Cycling says.
If you feel youre a concious enough cyclist and you must save the weight, leave it.
But anyway you look at it, at least its SOME kind of insurance. Itll ''put your mind at ease'' so to speak.
Maybe you find your helmet fit to be a hassle?
find what brand fits you best because they all fit diferently:

Bell (fits me best)
Giro (ive owned but found a Bell that was so much more comfortable, so i gave the Giro away)
Garneau dosnt fit me well

also if you didnt know, as a much better absorbant substitute for that shabby foam padding, you can use regular maxi-pads for helmet pads.
They're far superior in that they don't spritz all the sweat into your eyes when you hit a bump, and they just make it a more comfortable fit for touring.
Just put one in the forehead position, otherwise
there's no room for your head.
Old 01-22-05, 05:34 AM
-=solewheelin
go go go go

Bikes: 2000 Trek 7000 - Bontrager wheels - '79 Brooks B17 - RockShox Post - wellgo shoes and WAM717 pedals - Azonic riser bars - Jandd Racks , Custom Surly Cross Check in bean green , Trek 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
so just take it, and enjoy looking like a dork.
it will only make you calmer cooler and more collected being this IS your first tour (congratulations).
To be honest, i dont think youll be the only one.
wearing a helmet is common.
because it just might save your brains.
Old 01-22-05, 06:05 AM
meanderthal

Bikes: Schwinn Voyageur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is a question for the 1970s. Nowadays, helmets are the rule, not the exception; your fellow travelers will chide you if you don't wear a helmet, not if you do.

Your helmet, though it may not protect against cars traveling at 55mph, will serve you well when you yourself collide with a fixed object, skid on loose gravel or just fall for some reason. And it sure is good in a hailstorm. It also marks you as a serious cyclist, and you'll likely enjoy more respect from drivers. Do it for your own safety and don't be concerned with appearances. The only raised eyebrows will likely be for those who ride bare-headed.
Old 01-22-05, 08:05 AM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
On my first cross-country tour I was so busy watching the scenery that I didn't see a sandy spot in the road and crashed all by myself - fortunately I had my helmet. Plus I wear a cap under my helmet so it makes a nice bowl for little things I want to be sure to keep track of while camping. Safe riding - J
Old 01-22-05, 09:19 AM
stokell

Bikes: Custom built tourer, custom electric bike, beaters everywhere

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was road touring and ran into a manhole...sorry, a septic grate cover. The wheel went down 6 inches, I went over the bars. I had a few scratches, my bike was stuck in the grate. Later in the day, I checked my hemet and it has a little damage on the plastic cover, but the foam inside was cracked right through. That's where it hit the curb. I wouldn't be alive today if it was not for my helmet.

Take it and wear it and come home alive.
Old 01-22-05, 10:36 AM
acantor
Macro Geek

Bikes: True North tourer (www.truenorthcycles.com), 2004; Miyata 1000, 1985

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wear a helmet at all times when riding a bicycle.

Wearing bicycle helmets reduces the risk of head injury by as much as 85 percent and the risk of brain injury by as much as 88 percent. (Source: http://www.neurosurgerytoday.org/what/usa/think.asp)

Many people on bikeforums.net have reported head injuries, brain injuries, and close calls. It does happen. It's more common than you might think. About 140,000 incidents per year are recorded in the USA -- and that's just the count for young cyclists, not adults. I think of it this way: that's 1.5 million cyclists every decade, 3 million every 20 years -- the population of a big city. Hundreds of thousands of brain injuries would not have happened if all cyclists wore properly fitted helmets.

Traumatic brain injury is not pretty. I personally know someone whose brain was permanently fried as a result of a bicycle accident. (He was involved in a low-speed accident and dinged his unhelmeted head.)

Enjoy your tour. Wearing a helmet might muss your hair, but a brain injury could ruin your life.
Old 01-22-05, 10:59 AM
MsMittens
Virtulized geek

Bikes: Modified Davinci (single speed) and custom Gunnar Rock Tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would wear it. Additionally, you may not have much of a choice since many nations have laws that require it.
Old 01-22-05, 11:04 AM
Schumius
senile member

Bikes: 1 mtb converted for commuting (actually, collecting dust in the garage), a LHT with "durable components"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no i don´t. but if you normally wear helmets i don´t see why you should leave it home and go on a trip by yourself.

Last edited by Schumius; 01-22-05 at 11:19 AM. Reason: correction
Old 01-22-05, 11:18 AM
drcrash

Bikes: Atlantis, Bleriot, Waterford,Steamroller, Big Dummy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I take and wear mine. Have fun.
Old 01-22-05, 01:17 PM
Judyrans
Cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stokell
I was road touring and ran into a manhole...sorry, a septic grate cover. The wheel went down 6 inches, I went over the bars. I had a few scratches, my bike was stuck in the grate. Later in the day, I checked my hemet and it has a little damage on the plastic cover, but the foam inside was cracked right through. That's where it hit the curb. I wouldn't be alive today if it was not for my helmet.
While I've worn a helmet for 25 years, and have long advocated that cyclists wear helmets, I think you are jumping to a conclusion that may not be justified. You have no way of knowing if you would have been killed. Damage to the helmet and potential damage to the head are not necessarily related. Please do not make such unjustified claims. A description of the helmet damage is fine.

Originally Posted by acantor
Wearing bicycle helmets reduces the risk of head injury by as much as 85 percent and the risk of brain injury by as much as 88 percent. (Source: http://www.neurosurgerytoday.org/what/usa/think.asp)
The study referred to consisted of a biased (self-selected) sample. In 1989 cyclists who wore helmets probably rode more often, probably were more skilled, and probably were more safety conscious than cyclists who didn't wear helmets. These factors may also have reduced their risk of head injury and brain injury.

Furthermore, because helmet-wearing cyclists were more aware of the dangers of head injuries, they were more likely to run to the hospital to have any bump on the head checked out. Non-helmet wearers only came to the hospital in an ambulance or if they (or someone else) became aware that a significant injury had occurred. At least part of the reduced risk of brain injury was due to these differences.

Unfortunately, the actual risk rates may never be known because the medical establishment would prefer to see people who do not understand sampling repeat the bogus number over and over to help scare people into wearing a helmet, rather than do continuing research to establish a more accurate risk estimate. Shame on them!

Personally, I will continue to wear a helmet even if the risk differences are only 10 percent or maybe even smaller, because I value my head.

Originally Posted by acantor
Enjoy your tour. Wearing a helmet might muss your hair, but a brain injury could ruin your life.
I agree!

Judy Murphy
Old 01-22-05, 02:28 PM
stokell

Bikes: Custom built tourer, custom electric bike, beaters everywhere

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Furthermore, because helmet-wearing cyclists were more aware of the dangers of head injuries, they were more likely to run to the hospital to have any bump on the head checked out. Non-helmet wearers only came to the hospital in an ambulance or if they (or someone else) became aware that a significant injury had occurred. At least part of the reduced risk of brain injury was due to these differences.

Unfortunately, the actual risk rates may never be known because the medical establishment would prefer to see people who do not understand sampling repeat the bogus number over and over to help scare people into wearing a helmet, rather than do continuing research to establish a more accurate risk estimate. Shame on them!
I normally do not respond to post by members who set themselves as subject matter experts, but as this is a matter of public safety, I would like to remind everyone that one member’s opinion bears no more weight than any other member, even when it takes the form of an omnibus missive.
Old 01-22-05, 07:27 PM
hotwheels

Bikes: Trek7300, GT Palomar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Helmet, all the way.
Old 01-22-05, 07:55 PM
motion5447
Chief Wheelfoot

Bikes: kona jake, dahon boardwalk, Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i guess i will bring it with me, if i really dont like it i can always mail it back home.

I own a helmet now, but hardly wear it due to its size. Does anyone have experience with in-mold helmets? It seems like this would be the way to go, if i was going to have it on the back of my bike part time.

One helmet i was looking at was the lazer millenium @ nashbar. Any experience with this model?
Old 01-22-05, 08:31 PM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Quoted: 1259 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't ride across the parking lot without my helmet. I have lost control and fell over at 5 mph and cracked my helmet..I never go w/o...Could have been my head...In fact. I do not understand the controversy...I get so used to wearing helmet they feel a part of me..I have been known to get into the drivers seat with a helmet on..Soon realized you likely don't need such in a car..

Last edited by cyclezealot; 01-22-05 at 09:22 PM.
Old 01-22-05, 09:06 PM
jharte
Long Live Long Rides

Bikes: 1988 Specialized Rockhopper Comp, converted for touring/commuting. 1984 Raleigh Team USA road bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take it. You will be glad at some point you did.
I rode a little over 430 mi last year on an self supported tour. Much of it on the Katy trail. A couple of times I got tired of wearing it so I took it off. I felt wierd without it so I put it back on. A couple of minutes later I was turning onto a road from the trail and my front tire slid out on gravel and I went down. My helmet hit the pavement. Boy was I glad I had it on! Maybe just a fluke. Either way I was glad I had it.
Old 01-22-05, 09:13 PM
supcom
You need a new bike

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Although Adventure Cycling routes try to select safe roads, there will undoubtably be plenty of rough roads, dogs, construction, dogs, high speed roads (even if low traffic), dogs, urban intersections, dogs, wet pavement, dogs, etc. to contend with. You may even get the odd beer bottle tossed at you by rednecks in pickup trucks.
Old 01-22-05, 09:20 PM
DocF
Older Than Dirt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The first part of getting on a bicycle is putting on ones helmet.

I sounds to me like you need a helmet that fits properly. The suspension harness used in many newer helmets makes this easier to achieve. It is much easier to get the right helmet if one goes to his/her LBS and tries on helmets until a comfortable one is found. More expensive helmets usually have more bells and whistles and a marginally lighter in weight.

Doc
Old 01-23-05, 01:44 AM
Judyrans
Cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stokell wrote: "I wouldn't be alive today if it was not for my helmet."

and, "I normally do not respond to post by members who set themselves as subject matter experts,"

Where did I claim I was an expert?

Returning your snottiness: normally, I don't waste my time on people who claim omniscience but...

I repeat, you have no way of knowing if your helmet saved your life or not (unless you're omniscient). You may say, "I think my helmet saved my life," or "My helmet may have saved my life." But you cannot claim "My helmet saved my life." Nor could the emergency room staff make such a claim, although they often incorrectly do so. On the other hand, if you are willing to repeat your crash precisely as it occurred (very difficult) WITHOUT wearing a helmet, and you die, then you will prove you were right. Please, don't do that!

And, regarding the 85%/88%, repeating an inaccurate statistic over and over does not make it accurate.

Stokell wrote: "but as this is a matter of public safety, I would like to remind everyone that one member’s opinion bears no more weight than any other member, even when it takes the form of an omnibus missive."

Why are you saying this? My opinion was that he should wear a helmet, even if the risk reduction was much less that the bloated 85/88 percent.

Fun reading:

Huff, Darrell. How to Lie with Statistics. This little gem, originally published in 1954, can still be found on bookstore shelves and in libraries around here.

Best, Joel. Damned Lies and Statistics: Untangling Numbers from the Media, Politicians, and Activists. Published 2001.

Best, Joel. More Damned Lies and Statistics: How Numbers Confuse Public Issues. New, 2004, lots of nifty current examples.

Really, they are fun to read. Check them out on Amazon or Barnes & Noble.

Don't believe everything you hear on TV or read in the newspaper....

So, motion5447, take your helmet and wear it, even if it's not needed to save your life, it will provide shade for your head, help keep your head warm on cold days, and, if it has a visor, help keep the sun and rain out of your eyes. And, if you value your brain, you don't need an 88% risk reduction, a much smaller risk reduction is plenty.

Judy Murphy
Who has worn a helmet for 24 bicycle tours from one to eight weeks in length, as well as over 99.9+% of the miles when on the bike. Hey, once, in the days before cell phones, my husband drove off with my helmet on the back seat of the car. I had to ride home without it. I was so embarrassed. I hoped noone I knew would see me...

Retired, but used to have a job where she used random and judgmental samples, and who now reads only "fun" books about statistics. Nope, not an expert, just a competent user.
Old 01-23-05, 02:09 AM
JimboTrek
Thru-Hiker/Biker

Bikes: Raleigh MT-400

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Motion, hello again!
You NEED to read my post below. Last August, I crashed and my helmet probably saved my life.

"Why you need to wear a helmet -- NOW!" http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=73912
Old 01-23-05, 02:24 AM
KrisPistofferson
Immoderator

Bikes: Gary Fisher Simple City 8, Litespeed Obed

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't see what the big deal is about wearing helmets, anyway. They're very comfortable and light, the only time I realize I've got one on is when I put it on and take it off. These people act like they're being asked to strap lead weights to their head!
Old 01-23-05, 03:27 AM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Quoted: 1259 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by krispistoferson
Don't see what the big deal is about wearing helmets, anyway. They're very comfortable and light, the only time I realize I've got one on is when I put it on and take it off. These people act like they're being asked to strap lead weights to their head!
I agree...Can't see how someone finds them uncomfortable..And the time I crashed at 6 mph..If not save me from an Emergency visit, at the very,very least It saved me from one hell of a headache...
I hit right on my temple just above my left ear.Head to concrete curb..The helmet cracked totally through and about 2 inches long...
Old 01-23-05, 03:30 AM
Camel
Caffeinated.

Bikes: Waterford 1900, Quintana Roo Borrego, Trek 8700zx, Bianchi Pista Concept

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear mine whenever I ride. I also have a rear view mirror attached to the visor (eg. if didn't wear it-no mirror either). I take a ball cap with me if I feel self conscious about "helmet hair" not being presentable off bike (eating-siteseeing-around camp).

The few times I've fallen/crashed no cars were involved.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.