Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Chain ring bolts

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Chain ring bolts

Old 05-20-20, 04:12 PM
Voltan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Chain ring bolts

hi all

ive recently changed from a 3x9 to a 1x9 and im loving it but i had one question. when i tighten up the chain ring bolts they still spin even tho there tight is this ok or do i need some sort of small washers to stop this?

the single chain ring has a little wobble so i just wanted to check in with the comunity xx

ps i have a 32t

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod109723

Last edited by Voltan; 05-20-20 at 04:16 PM.
Old 05-20-20, 04:39 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
If you reused the bolts that came with the double chainrings, you need to buy specific shorter single chainring bolts.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 05-20-20, 04:55 PM
Voltan

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
thansk Hill

i got some raceface ones but they were the same and tbh pretty horendous as a normal chain ring nut wrench dident fit them oddly. do you please have any suggestions on the bolts i need to get please x ?
Old 05-20-20, 05:26 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Here are the "Problem Solvers" single chainring bolts. This is Performance Bike's listing: https://www.performancebike.com/prob...SABEgJ2LfD_BwE
Old 05-20-20, 05:35 PM
Voltan

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
cool cheers found some here x

https://www.superstarcomponents.com/...ts-uk-made.htm
Old 05-21-20, 08:57 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Any bike shop will have kit from which you could choose. Washers can work too, but need to be in right size. Again, a bike shop would have them, but the shorter bolts, indicated before, are preferred.
Old 05-21-20, 12:36 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
When I converted my double Grey Shimano Exage crank to a single crank and the local shops didn't have single crank chainring bolts in stock I just cut down the female portion of the existing crank bolts. They work fine. Here's an image of the converted and polished crank on the bike.

Oh, if you get single crank chain ring bolts, they might be for a 1/8" thick ring and a derailleur chain ring is 3/32" so you might need a thin spacer or file down the bolts a bit.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 05-21-20, 02:11 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4331 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
I recommend the Wolf Tooth Components bolts I have used them on several bikes and they have held up quite well plus if you like different colors they are great. Instead of using a chainring spanner it is a double hex so it is super easy to tighten without an odd tool that doesn't do much else.
Old 05-21-20, 02:35 PM
Voltan

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I recommend the Wolf Tooth Components bolts I have used them on several bikes and they have held up quite well plus if you like different colors they are great. Instead of using a chainring spanner it is a double hex so it is super easy to tighten without an odd tool that doesn't do much else.
Vegan i drool over having colour options trying to find excuses to get more red on it

i legit hate the chain ring tool tbh feels sketch and easy to **** ur hands on the chainsaw ring. i am a total beginner tho so guessing thats 90% of it

what tool do you mean Vegan ? that isent a chain ring tool?
Old 05-21-20, 08:31 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by Voltan
Vegan i drool over having colour options trying to find excuses to get more red on it

i legit hate the chain ring tool tbh feels sketch and easy to **** ur hands on the chainsaw ring. i am a total beginner tho so guessing thats 90% of it

what tool do you mean Vegan ? that isent a chain ring tool?
Yeah color is nice and quality bolts are nice as well. I have a set of the red and purple as well as black and they all look and perform quite well. I am not a lightweight rider but haven't had issue one with them even though they are a lighter weight material.

I would recommend wearing some thick gloves when you work on chain rings just in case. No need to get hurt. If you are ever installing pedals I recommend making sure the chain is on the largest chainring and I might still wear those gloves.

The tool is the chainring spanner as you have described. The WTC bolts use a hex on both sides.

As always for any metal on metal contact make sure to use grease or anti seize. Trying to remove a stuck chainring bolt is no fun.
Old 05-22-20, 07:44 AM
Voltan

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah color is nice and quality bolts are nice as well. I have a set of the red and purple as well as black and they all look and perform quite well. I am not a lightweight rider but haven't had issue one with them even though they are a lighter weight material.

I would recommend wearing some thick gloves when you work on chain rings just in case. No need to get hurt. If you are ever installing pedals I recommend making sure the chain is on the largest chainring and I might still wear those gloves.

The tool is the chainring spanner as you have described. The WTC bolts use a hex on both sides.

As always for any metal on metal contact make sure to use grease or anti seize. Trying to remove a stuck chainring bolt is no fun.
Oh I see double hex that's awesome miles better than the ****ty standard ones. Thanks for the info x
Old 05-23-20, 11:47 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by Voltan
Oh I see double hex that's awesome miles better than the ****ty standard ones. Thanks for the info x
Yeah it is quite awesome. I don't understand why we didn't do that in the first place? I could understand if non of the bolts are hex doing odd tools but the front of the bolt is hex why not double hex? Ah well at least WTC and some others have figured it out.

Happy to help and ride safe.
Old 05-23-20, 12:56 PM
Voltan

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah it is quite awesome. I don't understand why we didn't do that in the first place? I could understand if non of the bolts are hex doing odd tools but the front of the bolt is hex why not double hex? Ah well at least WTC and some others have figured it out.

Happy to help and ride safe.
Cheers man got the red ones in the end should be in the post x