Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Clicking/creaking carbon saddle rails -- best solution?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 07-14-20, 09:05 AM
ljsense

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts

I've got a saddle with oval carbon rails clamped into a Thomson seatpost. It clicks when my weight shifts on it.

The rails are in good shape, no cracks or damage. There's just enough micro movement to make a noise.

I had the two seatpost bolts torqued to 5 Nm. I increased that to 6 Nm, and that helped. I could keep tightening, but there is no torque rating on the rails, and before I did, I wondered if anyone has other approaches, like putting a paste or goop on the rails, or can provide a good max torque.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 07-14-20, 11:22 AM
canopus 

Bikes: Road, Touring, BMX, Cruisers...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 111 Posts
A thin film of grease or oil usually takes care of creaks and such... Now, I am sure someone will come along a say that that stuff on carbon will eat away at whatever and cause your seat to disintegrate and cause you to crash and die, so...

The thing to determine is, is it the rails/clamps? or is it the seat? or is it the seatpost in the frame? You have to isolate each thing too determine the cause of the clicking.
1984 Trek 760
1981 Trek 710
Pics
Likes For canopus:
Old 07-14-20, 11:48 AM
frankenmike 
mechanically sound

Bikes: Indy Fab steel deluxe, Aventon cordoba, S-works stumpy fsr, Masi vincere, Dahon mu uno, Outcast 29 commuter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 53 Posts
A light film of carbon assembly paste between the rails and the post would be a good thing to try.
Old 07-16-20, 12:16 PM
ljsense

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I was contemplating grease or carbon assembly paste, but I wondered if anyone had tried something else. A thin layer of tubular glue or barge cement came to mind, as did Loctite. I just thought in this interface, it might make sense to have something that acts more as a rubbery binder.
Old 07-16-20, 12:20 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I have no real issues with my steel rail bike saddles, but then again at my age my hearing is less than acute..

have access to a vacuum pump ? Vacuum Bagging gets air bubbles in carbon fiber lamination out ,
while the resin has yet to cure..

So would pull your rubbery compound into air voids between saddle & frame , One presumes..

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-16-20 at 12:33 PM.