Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

AliExpress orders

Old 05-09-20, 11:05 AM
biker222

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
AliExpress orders

Ordered some bib shorts in early March and their tracking showed left China by air 4/4/20
5/1/20 showed arrived in San Bruno,CA awaiting USPS transfer
No tracking updates as of 5/7/20 and no bibs show up in mail.
Buyer Protection was to expire in 3 days so I submitted a dispute on order.
They reviewed and are issuing a full refund in 5-20 days.
Look at reordering bibs shipping costs are now $25 for cheapest method and expected delivery 7/1/20
I think I hold off for awhile and watch pricing.
Kind of bummer on timing. Covid-19 strikes back.
Old 05-09-20, 11:11 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Or maybe ante up and buy from somewhere closer, like REI.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-09-20, 12:31 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I recently sent a small packet to Texas and another to Massachusetts. Canada Post told me that parcel delivery is swamped (much higher volume due to Covid_19) and might take a fair bit longer than normal. Perhaps that's whats happened in your case?

Cheers
Old 05-09-20, 12:43 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 247 Posts
It is USPS that is the bottleneck now. Domestic shipments get lost and stuck and even circle around. Small items seem particularly vulnerable.
Likes For 2_i:
Old 05-09-20, 02:30 PM
SlvrDragon50

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
It is USPS that is the bottleneck now. Domestic shipments get lost and stuck and even circle around. Small items seem particularly vulnerable.
USPS has been very bad recently. Lots of packages going in the wrong direction or they aren't being scanned at all. Luckily, all my packages have arrived at the destination, but I am shipping everything with insurance because of it.
Old 05-09-20, 02:54 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50
USPS has been very bad recently. Lots of packages going in the wrong direction or they aren't being scanned at all. Luckily, all my packages have arrived at the destination, but I am shipping everything with insurance because of it.
I have had the exact opposite experience. USPS has been great.

Too many people are drinking the short-sighted Kool-Aid of the politically driven privatizers, who want to reward their contributors, capital management firms, and big business buddies who allege they will make it better and cheaper. Yep, cheaper for a little while, until they fix the prices and it ends up more expensive, with more folks out of decent jobs. SInce they will not be able to offshore production and delivery, costs well still go up, and there will be no oversight. Then they will ask for and get a bailout. which will go to management bonuses. Sound familiar?
Likes For Bill in VA:
Old 05-09-20, 04:24 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill in VA
I have had the exact opposite experience. USPS has been great.

Too many people are drinking the short-sighted Kool-Aid of the politically driven privatizers,
Our regional distribution center is in an area particularly hit by the pandemic. People show up with dedication to work in spite of the dangers, but it is what it is. There is no political tint to this. Many other centers are in the suburbs of big cities and face similar situation.

https://www.mlive.com/public-interes...e-workers.html
Likes For 2_i:
Old 05-09-20, 05:09 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Oh no some cheap no-name stuff from multi billion dollar corporation didn't show and now it costs a few bucks extra to order. I could have gone to my local shop and bought some cycling wear or at least found a brick and mortar with an online presence. Sure I might pay more but I am getting higher quality stuff that is a known quantity. Not just the "NUMBA 1 BAHGIN BEST PRICE SUPER BIB"

Things are going to take a bit longer to ship these days there is a major pandemic going around. That is why now more than ever it is important to shop locally and help our local businesses stay afloat.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-09-20, 07:11 PM
Twang -O- Doom

Bikes: Cadex CFM-1

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
USPS has been doing pretty good getting stuff here.
FEDEX on the other hand has been nothing but poopoo
Ordered some tires from bike24 so will see how shipping from Germany is...
Old 05-09-20, 08:16 PM
SlvrDragon50

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Oh no some cheap no-name stuff from multi billion dollar corporation didn't show and now it costs a few bucks extra to order. I could have gone to my local shop and bought some cycling wear or at least found a brick and mortar with an online presence. Sure I might pay more but I am getting higher quality stuff that is a known quantity. Not just the "NUMBA 1 BAHGIN BEST PRICE SUPER BIB"

Things are going to take a bit longer to ship these days there is a major pandemic going around. That is why now more than ever it is important to shop locally and help our local businesses stay afloat.
Not everyone has local access nor do the local shops have everything that we want. And just as businesses are hurting, so are people.
Old 05-09-20, 09:30 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Originally Posted by Twang -O- Doom
USPS has been doing pretty good getting stuff here.
FEDEX on the other hand has been nothing but poopoo
Ordered some tires from bike24 so will see how shipping from Germany is...
If its DHL, I've had 3 packages show up within 2 days, one was literally 38hrs after the order.

In 25 years of having my own postal address I spent 22 of those years never having any real complaint at all, in the last 3 since loving to this area of Long Island the service has absolutely sucked and been atrocious. We had a "snow storm" that resulted in them being too lazy to deliver my mail for 5 days straight. My sidewalks and driveway were clear and they were delivering to the church next store but the postal workers didn't feel it was safe to deliver. I get texts alerts so I can chase down the mail truck when it claims something is delivered and they left it on a different street altogether, this has happened twice now that I've caught and another 3 times they've had to redeliver the next day. I've had to bring the neighbors up the street their meds and I've found mail that wasbeing shipped out in my yard from streets far enough away the postal worker just dropped it. I've complained to the postal center for the island to no effect and been told its me. The virus has actually managed to make things worse which is fairly impressive considering how bad things were before.
Old 05-10-20, 10:22 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,742 Times in 1,499 Posts
good balance between price and made in USA https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/ and voler https://www.voler.com/store/

Old 05-10-20, 11:04 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Not everyone has local access nor do the local shops have everything that we want. And just as businesses are hurting, so are people.
If the OP could order from where he did, he could likely order from somewhere like REI, a brick and mortar store with on on line presence, as was suggested by the post you quoted. Last I checked, shipping was free. Used to be you had to purchase something like $100 worth of stuff for free shipping.
Old 05-10-20, 12:11 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
One of my lessons learned from this pandemic is to buy local. Even better if domestically manufactured.
Likes For Toadmeister:
Old 05-10-20, 03:07 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Toadmeister
One of my lessons learned from this pandemic is to buy local. Even better if domestically manufactured.
As much as I like to try, when the local bike shops are closed or locked down, it is harder to buy local.

I have to admit that since there is no traffic on the roads, I have actually noticed 3-4 bike shops I never knew existed while I was driving for food. You really do see more when there is not congestion.
Old 05-10-20, 06:58 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Of course but there are still at least legitimate online stores some of which even have a brick and mortar shop attached to them. People are hurting for sure but buying cheap stuff that will fall apart or crappy knockoffs is not the way to go.
Old 05-10-20, 08:36 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
my amazon order took a month to get here!
Old 05-19-20, 11:27 PM
frizzen

Bikes: 1955 Hercules Royal Prince Fixed Gear

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Aliexpress orders are coming really late these days. They say the item shipped, then 6 weeks later they send an email saying it just shipped and extend the buyer protection another 60 days. I've had the buyer protection run out on four orders. I asked the sellers to extend the protection 30 days, but none have. Does it cost them money? Who knows. I disputed a couple of them and got a refund, then one of those orders showed up weeks later. A couple of them were inexpensive, so I'm just taking my chances that they will show up eventually.
Old 05-20-20, 05:26 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
I had some supplements from a weightlifting website get scanned by FedEx in Memphis and lost there for about 3 weeks. I filed a claim and got my money back and a claim was made against FedEx by the vendor. Lo and behold it showed up Saturday.

PSA... Never buy anything that says "Made in China" if you can at all help it.
Old 05-20-20, 06:07 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
I have ordered from Ali, so-so on what I think of them. But, Amazon as of more recently has not been any better. I have ordered items, including non-bike, which I thought was coming from the US, nothing indicated it wasn't. The order(s) took forever to process, no tracking on the shipping other than stating it was shipped (hello, first indicator!). Finally 2-3 weeks later things show up. I don't have an anti-Asia thing, it is more of dealing with the standards of shipping and another method/standard of doing business. While I have always supported locals, many things I regularly use/need are not available and need to be ordered. However, I am increasingly looking at the company from which it is purchased and where they are located.
Old 05-20-20, 09:30 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I have many sets of shorts, bibs, jerseys, etc - bought from local brick and morter shops..... Lo and behold, they all have tags "made in china."

Lately, shipping from just about any shipper, is just plain garbage! Even Amazon's own!
Old 05-20-20, 11:56 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,742 Times in 1,499 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanderer
I have many sets of shorts, bibs, jerseys, etc - bought from local brick and morter shops..... Lo and behold, they all have tags "made in china."

Lately, shipping from just about any shipper, is just plain garbage! Even Amazon's own!
repeat but good balance between price and made in USA https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/ and voler https://www.voler.com/store/

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 07-24-20, 12:59 PM
Rorysmith

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by biker222
Ordered some bib shorts in early March and their tracking showed left China by air 4/4/20

5/1/20 showed arrived in San Bruno,CA awaiting USPS transfer

No tracking updates as of 5/7/20 and no bibs show up in mail.

Buyer Protection was to expire in 3 days so I submitted a dispute on order.

They reviewed and are issuing a full refund in 5-20 days.

Look at reordering bibs shipping costs are now $25 for cheapest method and expected delivery 7/1/20

I think I hold off for awhile and watch pricing.

Kind of bummer on timing. Covid-19 strikes back.

I think your problem might arise as you chose wrong shipping company for your shipment. Tracking is always an important aspect of shipping. I always prefers safe shipping agency over cheap shipping agency. As that will eventually cost you more than what you are aspect.

I just want to say whenever you ship your shipment make sure you review about them. Check their Trustpilot reviews.

And to cut your shipping cost if you can then you should wait some days.
Old 07-24-20, 02:45 PM
frizzen

Bikes: 1955 Hercules Royal Prince Fixed Gear

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
aliexpress disputes

You can open a dispute with aliexpress for up to 15 days after the purchase protection runs out. I put the date on my calendar because I've had several orders show up within that window. I just got one item yesterday that was 5 weeks past the dispute window. I already got a refund - should I offer them payment?

It's not getting much press, but much of eastern China is now underwater. Worst floods in over 400 years. They are blowing up levis and all the dam floodgates are wide open. The 3 Gorges Dam (biggest dam in the world) has distorted. >80% of all food supplies destroyed and now they are getting a plague of locusts. Major manufacturing cities are underwater. I'm not going to be ordering anything more from Aliexpress or GearBest or ... for a while.
Old 07-27-20, 08:11 AM
zebra6331

Bikes: 2020 Verve 3

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Only good thing about ordering from Aliexpress lately is that most things have been taking so long, I dispute, get refunded, then weeks later things show up. But now, I think I'm going to try to buy American.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.