Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

My new Zozzi Liberte steers to the right.

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

My new Zozzi Liberte steers to the right.

Old 08-27-20, 08:38 AM
tubesocksFred

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by john m flores
I’ve got a Liberte too. They’re a bit of a challenge to ride no-handed compared to a larger-wheeled bike but I can do it for short stretches. I’d never try taking a wind shell off or putting one on while riding though; just too unstable.

Have you checked the headset? Mine has need adjustments twice in 9 months. Otherwise, it’s been a great bike. I’ve gone on 30 mile rides with it and it was fine.
This wasn't whether I can ride no-handed. It is as soon as I open my palm while it still hovering right above the handlebar grips, the bike veers very quickly to the right to the point I have to grab the grips again. I have to pre-shift my weight to the left before taking my hands off, its like perpetually doing a left turn w/o hands, where its a constant balance to just stay on that line.

I did notice the headset loosening up after a couple of week in which I had to tighten it.

Originally Posted by FolderBeholder
I dont think this bicycle has been verified to have been misaligned, and the offer to return has been made by the manufacturer....seems like a no-brainer. If we're going to speculate on manufacturing/design shortcomings without basis of fact or verification there's an interesting post on this thread https://www.bikeforums.net/folding-b...g-bike-94.html about a cracked seat tube not far from this post that makes for some interesting reading and the opportunity for speculation as well.
I don't think I would be praising the mfg if my bike cracked during normal use. I had an already old Raleigh touring bike with Columbus tubing that I rebuilt for cyclocross to be used during off season training with my team. After a few years mud/dirt/snow riding, the rear triangle sheared off. I wasn't praising the bike on how well it lasted, especially when every other team member just threw on knobbies on their current or alternate race bike.
Old 08-27-20, 09:00 AM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 768 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by tubesocksFred
This wasn't whether I can ride no-handed. It is as soon as I open my palm while it still hovering right above the handlebar grips, the bike veers very quickly to the right to the point I have to grab the grips again. I have to pre-shift my weight to the left before taking my hands off, its like perpetually doing a left turn w/o hands, where its a constant balance to just stay on that line.

I did notice the headset loosening up after a couple of week in which I had to tighten it.
Whether or not you can ride no-handed was never questioned, it's about whether or not there's a manufacturing defect that's causing the behavior or if other factors (wheel size, geometry, mechanical issues, etc...) are involved. Could the smaller wheels be more affected by the crown in the road? Have you tried riding on an empty street in the opposite direction?

Regarding my headset, it actually tightened - feeling more resistance off-axis - after a couple of month. I've never experience that before.
Old 08-27-20, 03:58 PM
tubesocksFred

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by john m flores
Whether or not you can ride no-handed was never questioned, it's about whether or not there's a manufacturing defect that's causing the behavior or if other factors (wheel size, geometry, mechanical issues, etc...) are involved. Could the smaller wheels be more affected by the crown in the road? Have you tried riding on an empty street in the opposite direction?

Regarding my headset, it actually tightened - feeling more resistance off-axis - after a couple of month. I've never experience that before.
I tried riding in all directions on the straight path I usually ride, usually to offset crosswinds, and in empty parking lots so that I can have as wide a path as I need. I have a 20" mtn bike that I can ride for miles, which I frequently do to create a draft for a fellow rider. I can do the usual things like steer around potholes, counter strong crosswinds, go around bends, turn around and look back to make sure I didn't drop my wheelsuckers, etc.

That is strange for the headset to feel more resistance off-axis. Either the bearing race are not seated properly or indentation formed in the race.
Old 08-28-20, 08:32 AM
FolderBeholder

Bikes: 1963 Schwinn, EuroMini Urbano, Magnum Premium 48, Brompton S6L, Tokyo Bike Mini-Velo

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by tubesocksFred

I don't think I would be praising the mfg if my bike cracked during normal use. I had an already old Raleigh touring bike with Columbus tubing that I rebuilt for cyclocross to be used during off season training with my team. After a few years mud/dirt/snow riding, the rear triangle sheared off. I wasn't praising the bike on how well it lasted, especially when every other team member just threw on knobbies on their current or alternate race bike.
Did you read the thread I linked? Go to it's most recent (latest) activity. It's about a Downtube brand bike, cracking for what appears to due to a design element....yet the owner of that very bike company has provided his input on YOUR issue on this thread, that he doesn't understand why your issue "isn't a warranty item...." from a bike company which is a competitor to his own.

But as has been mentioned throughout this thread, I believe Zizzo has a 30 day MBG.
Old 08-28-20, 09:29 AM
tubesocksFred

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by FolderBeholder
Did you read the thread I linked? Go to it's most recent (latest) activity. It's about a Downtube brand bike, cracking for what appears to due to a design element....yet the owner of that very bike company has provided his input on YOUR issue on this thread, that he doesn't understand why your issue "isn't a warranty item...." from a bike company which is a competitor to his own.

But as has been mentioned throughout this thread, I believe Zizzo has a 30 day MBG.
I did read that thread, which is where I see the owner of the cracked frame thanking the bike for providing so much enjoyment, and it is probably his fault. The owner of that bike company was asking the exact same question that I was asking, even to Zozzi.
Old 08-28-20, 10:38 AM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 768 Times in 372 Posts
Zizzo monitors an owners group on Facebook and will often provide assistance and answer questions. You may want to try there.
Old 09-03-20, 04:57 PM
tubesocksFred

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I got another Zozzi Liberte and it rides a world of difference. Riding it with hands on is just like a regular bike, where I can just rest the palm on the handlebar instead of having to grip it tight and my shoulder/arm tensed. Getting off the saddle to climb a hill doesn't require me to constantly keep the wheel straight, which prevents me from rocking the bike. I don't have to stay so focused going up a hill while on the saddle in order to prevent me from wobbling my way up. In all those handling attributes, I assumed it was due to the short trail, but with this bike, I realized it is not. The last test of riding with no hands, it was almost like second nature (I said almost).

My wife is not sure about the improvement, although she has been riding it for a while with the front wheel offset to one side in order for it to ride straight. I only get on the bike once in a while to perform tests, so I myself haven' got use to any of the old bike's attributes, thus it is easier for me to remember how the old bike felt, even though I did not do back to back comparison.
Likes For tubesocksFred: