Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Do you normally trust a Shimano hub to be good out of the box?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 12-04-20, 06:29 AM
MyRedTrek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts

Got delivery of a Shimano Deore 36h hub. It's new, seems to be okay - when I turn it with my fingers it's at the point of being just slightly crunchy/notchy. Do you normally trust new hubs to be lubricated and tensioned correctly?
Old 12-04-20, 06:56 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
If it's cup and cone I always check grease and readjust. I'm not sure why you wouldn't.
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 12-04-20, 07:06 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
New hubs very often have a bearing adjustment that's tighter than ideal. Why? I don't know. Maybe they do it that way because it'll get closer to optimal as things wear and settle in.

It's probably cup-and-cone, so you can adjust yourself. That's what I'd do.
Old 12-04-20, 07:09 AM
dmark 

Bikes: 68 SS, 72 Fuji Finest, 72 PX-10, 77 Pana Pro 7000, 84 Pinnarello Treviso NR, 84 Trek 520, 88 Project KOM, 90 Trek 750, 91 Trek 930

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 141 Posts
I don't trust anything to be adjusted properly. I have seen overly tightened hubs frequently (especially in recent years; machine assembly?)
Old 12-04-20, 07:28 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
New hubs very often have a bearing adjustment that's tighter than ideal. Why? I don't know. Maybe they do it that way because it'll get closer to optimal as things wear and settle in.
I've noticed the same and attribute it to the factory workers being forced to do them up quickly. I know when I adjust hub cones it always takes several lockdowns before I'm satisfied with the end results and I've been doing them for decades. OP, take a little time and get the adjustment as good as it can be!
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 12-04-20, 07:38 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Hubs and pedals always seem to be a bit tight and need some adjustment.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 12-04-20, 08:36 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,230 Times in 851 Posts
Considering it gets even tighter when you clamp the QR.....
My T-610 was well greased. RM-30's I bought weren't.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 12-04-20, 09:00 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
I have always found the grease level in new Shimano hubs to be fine but, as noted above, they tend to be adjusted a bit too snug. I always adjust the bearings before using them.
Old 12-04-20, 09:12 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,148 Times in 1,312 Posts
I always disassembly, re-grease, re-assemble any cup cone hub.

But, not until I lace it up. It’s not going anywhere before that, and it is a lot easier.

John
Old 12-04-20, 09:21 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
test it after you lace it up. supposedly outward tension from the spokes can pull on the hub just enough to affect bearing preload. I've built hundreds of bikes from the box, and almost all of them had cup-and-cone hubs (some Shimano, some generic) and almost all of them came out of the box with the cone nuts decisively too tight.
Old 12-04-20, 09:47 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by mack_turtle
test it after you lace it up. supposedly outward tension from the spokes can pull on the hub just enough to affect bearing preload. I've built hundreds of bikes from the box, and almost all of them had cup-and-cone hubs (some Shimano, some generic) and almost all of them came out of the box with the cone nuts decisively too tight.
I have found this to be the case with hubs and pedals, too tight and skimpily lubricated.
Old 12-04-20, 10:25 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
If you buy a hub and build a wheel, checking grease and pre-load is a small time delta.
Old 12-04-20, 10:40 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,148 Times in 1,312 Posts
test it after you lace it up. supposedly outward tension from the spokes can pull on the hub just enough to affect bearing preload.
Thank you for this information.

It had never occurred to me that spoke tension effects preload.

John

Edit Added: Nevermind, but thanks anyway.

Last edited by 70sSanO; 12-05-20 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-04-20, 11:30 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
I may not disassemble and re-grease them when new, but certainly I fiddle with the adjustment. Doesn't matter how high quality or trustworthy the source.

As far as
when I turn it with my fingers it's at the point of being just slightly crunchy/notchy.
then if a skewer type hub, QR, then it'll only be worse when clamped. On a thru-axle, I'd still tweak it. And all of this is only to be fiddled with at the time the wheel is ready for installing on the bike. Who knows what's going to happen in the ten or twenty years it might take to get your wheel built. <grin>
Old 12-04-20, 04:01 PM
mrrabbit 

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
Fixed.

=8-|

Disclaimer:

1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
5. My all time favorite book is:

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
Old 12-04-20, 10:02 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
I've never liked shimano's grease, always feels too sticky, I always replace with white lithium and the hubs feel smoother.
Old 12-05-20, 09:13 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 392 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
Hubs and pedals always seem to be a bit tight and need some adjustment.
+1, especially pedals. Some of them you nearly can't turn by hand out of the box.
Old 12-05-20, 09:45 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4171 Post(s)
Liked 3,789 Times in 2,269 Posts
Finally thought of a good analogy... Do you wash your meat before cooking it? Or do you trust the food industry to do that for you?

I usually set the hubs a bight tight when wheel building then after the wheel is completed I revisit the bearing adjustment. Yes, the strain of the spoke tension does expand the hub shell a tiny bit and thus a bearing adjustment can loosen a tad, just like when mounting and inflating a tire on that wheel will slightly reduce the spoke tension. Andy
Old 12-05-20, 10:21 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
on second thought, spoke tension affecting cup-and-cone hubs makes almost no sense. extremely unlikely because those hubs are almost always aluminum with steel cups pressed into them. never a bad idea to recheck something like that, but the effect should be minimal. I was thinking of spoke tension affecting some sealed bearing hubs. there were documented issued with some Zipp and G-Sport hubs at one time, but it may have been a fluke.

definitely a good idea to take tension provided by the QR or thru axle into account when you adjust hubs, as the inward pressure will add just a bit of pressure to the preload.
Old 12-05-20, 12:32 PM
mrrabbit 

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Finally thought of a good analogy... Do you wash your meat before cooking it? Or do you trust the food industry to do that for you?

I usually set the hubs a bight tight when wheel building then after the wheel is completed I revisit the bearing adjustment. Yes, the strain of the spoke tension does expand the hub shell a tiny bit and thus a bearing adjustment can loosen a tad, just like when mounting and inflating a tire on that wheel will slightly reduce the spoke tension. Andy
Fixed.

=8-|

Disclaimer:

4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
Old 12-05-20, 12:33 PM
mrrabbit 

on second thought, spoke tension affecting cup-and-cone hubs makes almost no sense. extremely unlikely because those hubs are almost always aluminum with steel cups pressed into them. never a bad idea to recheck something like that, but the effect should be minimal. I was thinking of spoke tension affecting some sealed bearing hubs. there were documented issued with some Zipp and G-Sport hubs at one time, but it may have been a fluke.

definitely a good idea to take tension provided by the QR or thru axle into account when you adjust hubs, as the inward pressure will add just a bit of pressure to the preload.
Nice to see someone has a clue...

=8-)

Disclaimer:

Old 12-05-20, 01:54 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,091 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by dmark
I don't trust anything to be adjusted properly. I have seen overly tightened hubs frequently (especially in recent years; machine assembly?)
Bingo! I can’t say for sure but I suspect that the hub is overtightened so that it doesn’t spin as freely in the wheel building machine.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-05-20, 02:55 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 392 Posts
Originally Posted by mrrabbit
Nice to see someone has a clue...

=8-)
In theory, one can think that as the spokes pull the hub flanges toward the center (they are not at 0° angle) the hub should compress and that could affect the adjusting. In practice, I never had that happen, an if it does it's so infinitesimal that it can't be measured IMO.
Old 12-05-20, 04:53 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4171 Post(s)
Liked 3,789 Times in 2,269 Posts
I have seen both cup/cone preload change as well as the press fit nature in a cartridge bearinged hub change with spoke tension. It was Chris King that told me that I had too much spoke tension with the 36 spoked hub of theirs that could never stay in adjustment. (I had finally sent the complete wheel to them after trying all sorts of efforts to keep a bearing adjustment , They stated the slop I was feeling was the drive side bearing moving in it's seat due to too much expansive force from the spoke. I never had this issue with Phils...) Andy
Old 12-06-20, 03:06 PM
mrrabbit 

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I have seen both cup/cone preload change as well as the press fit nature in a cartridge bearinged hub change with spoke tension. It was Chris King that told me that I had too much spoke tension with the 36 spoked hub of theirs that could never stay in adjustment. (I had finally sent the complete wheel to them after trying all sorts of efforts to keep a bearing adjustment , They stated the slop I was feeling was the drive side bearing moving in it's seat due to too much expansive force from the spoke. I never had this issue with Phils...) Andy
For a three piece steel hub, if the flanges come loose, that's a manufacturing defect, not a spoke tension problem.

For loose ball bearing alloy hubs, the races are cups pressed in.

And they are pressed in very very very tight . . . try to remove one sometime . . . it ain't easy.

If they come loose on their own, that is a manufacturing defect - not a spoke tension problem.

Despite Shimano's early durability quality early on, I have never seen a cup come loose all by itself on a Shimano hub. Shimano has had excellent production QA even on their cheapest products - even back in their early days.

You will see loose cups on Sansin, Suntour, Atom, Maillard, Chosen, Joytech, Quando, among others.

For the Chris King hub, are you sure that the drive side bearing moving in wasn't the result of poor machining or a ratchet ring being driven in under extreme torque? For ALL CARTRIDGE BEARING HUBS, all axles, axle seats, bearing seats, cartridge bearings must be super tight tolerance-wise or you will get axle end play.

It's very easy for a Manufacturer to point somewhere else as the problem instead of admitting a hub left the factory a little "off".

=8-|

Disclaimer:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.