Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

In what case are you not repainting vintage bike?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

In what case are you not repainting vintage bike?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-21, 04:55 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Markeologist
Original paint AND decals are also highly prized as they confirm the pedigree of the bike. Look how many posts we have here on C&V asking for help in identifying a frame. Its easy to repaint and then put new decals on a frame that may not accurately reflect what the bike actually is. Keep the original paint AND decals and just ride it.
I've been turning this over in my mind, and I think maybe it provides a useful tipping point. Let's say I have some classic bike from a well-known made with Reynolds 531 tubing. With the original decals that information is preserved. In some cases the color of the paint even provides a clue as to what year it was made. Without the decals, it's almost impossible to recognize and prove Reynolds 531 tubing. Without pantographs the brand is usually impossible to establish. Once the bike has been repainted, the decals become meaningless except as decorations.

So when does that matter? If a bike has pantographs or other uniquely identifying characteristics, there is a second path to demonstrating what it is. If it's made with Columbus SLX tubing, there are even internal characteristics to establish that fact. So there's a point where refinishing a bike in very rough condition might be more acceptable than average. At the other end of the scale, Let's say the bike is a mid-tier model from a less sought after manufacturer, such as the OP's Motobecane. There's really no perceived value added by making another bike of similar construction look like this one, so there'd be little reason to question re-applied decals. Most of us seem to like knowing exactly what a bike is, so knowing it's a Motobecane D2 is somewhat better than just knowing it's a well-constructed mid-tier bike from the 80's, but there's not a lot of differentiation there, and not a lot would be lost by not knowing that.

That doesn't change my answer from earlier in any way in the final analysis, but it provides some useful data points for making the decision.
Old 02-24-21, 06:05 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,795 Times in 2,281 Posts
Thinking back, I've only repainted frames that have undergone torchwork.

My rattiest bike is this one. No way it's getting repainted.

photo courtesy of Velocult, RIP
Old 02-24-21, 07:43 PM
Markeologist

Bikes: Since new: 86 Rodriguez Tandem, wife's 87 Gitane Team Pro, 92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, 85 Fisher Comp, 88 Puch Pro, two 92 Bridgestone X0-1s; later: 66/67 Gitane Champion du Monde, 70 Gitane Super Corsa, 70 Carre, 87 Gitane Team Pro, 77/78 Ritchey Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 366 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
I've been turning this over in my mind, and I think maybe it provides a useful tipping point. Let's say I have some classic bike from a well-known made with Reynolds 531 tubing. With the original decals that information is preserved. In some cases the color of the paint even provides a clue as to what year it was made. Without the decals, it's almost impossible to recognize and prove Reynolds 531 tubing. Without pantographs the brand is usually impossible to establish. Once the bike has been repainted, the decals become meaningless except as decorations.

So when does that matter? If a bike has pantographs or other uniquely identifying characteristics, there is a second path to demonstrating what it is. If it's made with Columbus SLX tubing, there are even internal characteristics to establish that fact. So there's a point where refinishing a bike in very rough condition might be more acceptable than average. At the other end of the scale, Let's say the bike is a mid-tier model from a less sought after manufacturer, such as the OP's Motobecane. There's really no perceived value added by making another bike of similar construction look like this one, so there'd be little reason to question re-applied decals. Most of us seem to like knowing exactly what a bike is, so knowing it's a Motobecane D2 is somewhat better than just knowing it's a well-constructed mid-tier bike from the 80's, but there's not a lot of differentiation there, and not a lot would be lost by not knowing that.

That doesn't change my answer from earlier in any way in the final analysis, but it provides some useful data points for making the decision.
Andy K...wholeheartedly agree....a high end frame with clear indications of manufacturer like Colnago or De Rosa embossing on seat stay caps and fork crowns that is in very poor condition should be saved from deterioration which may require stripping and repaint. Also, I see nothing wrong in stripping and repaint in any fashion the owner sees fit on the many mid-level bikes we see on BF.... no harm (except perhaps a poor place to put money), no foul.