Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

I got to quit buying $50 crap -- aka poor shiny Schwinn

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-21, 05:41 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts

I release some of my ocd buying watching the usual local bike listings, like many of us. You always see the same flipper stuff, mixed with the occasional enterprising tweaker and the occasional good deal. I've become adept at looking at the vibe of the seller's other products and if the pictures look like everything was in the same place. I've been gravitating to those rusty, crunchy bikes that have so obviously not been on the road in some time. This presents dangers as you don't really want to dicker over a $50 project and the seller is in the back of semi-sketchy trailer park. Sometimes everything is fine, but my average is starting to drop. 3 of the last 5 have had frame damage with today's purchase *likely* suffering from a cracked seattube. I'll clean it up tomorrow and see what happens when I try to remove the seatpost and post some pics.

Old 02-24-21, 05:57 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 665 Posts
This looks like it could be a good project if you want to put the time into it. These LeTours ride nice. The problem that I see aside from the welded by rust chain, is the frame rust by the seat cluster. If you are willing to paint it, it should come out looking good. You could retain the chrome at the dropouts up to 1/3 of the way up the seat stay and chain stay and the same with the fork. The head lugs don't look so bad either. Then pain the rest.

What were you thinking of doing with it? Edit: Assuming that the frame is not cracked.

Last edited by Velo Mule; 02-24-21 at 06:00 PM.
Old 02-24-21, 05:59 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 665 Posts
Those locks are easy to pick. It just takes a little patience.
Old 02-24-21, 06:17 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,285 Times in 1,278 Posts
Have some fun with this one. If you can get the chrome to shine up it would be a half decent rider.
Old 02-24-21, 06:41 PM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked 1,736 Times in 957 Posts
I like your it looks a lot like my World bike. The Shimano hubs on it are so good. I hope it works, my brother's friend had the white with red trim. Stunning and dependable.
Old 02-24-21, 07:04 PM
justcynn

Bikes: Lots of Schwinns

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 114 Posts
Originally Posted by Dylansbob
I release some of my ocd buying watching the usual local bike listings, like many of us. You always see the same flipper stuff, mixed with the occasional enterprising tweaker and the occasional good deal. I've become adept at looking at the vibe of the seller's other products and if the pictures look like everything was in the same place. I've been gravitating to those rusty, crunchy bikes that have so obviously not been on the road in some time. This presents dangers as you don't really want to dicker over a $50 project and the seller is in the back of semi-sketchy trailer park. Sometimes everything is fine, but my average is starting to drop. 3 of the last 5 have had frame damage with today's purchase *likely* suffering from a cracked seattube. I'll clean it up tomorrow and see what happens when I try to remove the seatpost and post some pics.

this is my favorite kind of crap. If that is an Altus group is worth your investment or more.

the 12.2 designation is 12.2 kg. Very light for a late 70’s Schwinn. The Voyageur 11.8 followed in about 1980. I have two. They are some of the best riding bikes in my fleet.

Google jay Leno’s Garage chrome polish. Quick Glo chrome polish may clean that frame right up. If it has a clear coat on it, take that off with a mile paint stripper.
Old 02-24-21, 07:11 PM
justcynn

1980 Voyageur 11.8, restored to mostly original condition with 700c wheels

1980 Voyageur 11.8 with 2020 type parts
Old 02-24-21, 07:13 PM
justcynn

One more comment. Those locks take about a minute or two to cut with good cable cutters or bolt cutters. With cable cutters just cut a few strands at a time. Easy peasy

good luck.
Old 02-24-21, 07:43 PM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 869 Times in 416 Posts

Good luck with that seatpost, that could be as bad as you suspect. It is a nice riding bike, although the original FD really wasn't that good. Supposedly, the derailleurs were the first of the Shimano 600's. The original FD is Shimano 60 and I upgraded mine. My SLT 12.2 is a NOS I picked up last year. Other than the FD I only replaced bar tape, tires, and brake hoods.

Old 02-24-21, 07:48 PM
niliraga 

Bikes: 1970s Coppi/Fiorelli beater, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1972 Bob Jackson, 1970 Cilo Sprint-X, 1985 Fuji Touring Series IV, 1969 Legnano Roma

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 129 Posts
looks like you could ride the whole thing into a lake of Oxalic acid and leave it there for a day or four! The best thing about rust stains and a ratty old clearcoat mess is how good it all is at deterring other buyers...
Old 02-24-21, 08:02 PM
Straightblock
Fast Old Guy

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
Those locks are easy to pick. It just takes a little patience.
Flashback! When I was in high school we'd pick the locks and move bikes to another part of the rack.
Old 02-24-21, 09:54 PM
droppedandlost 
small ring

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 925 Times in 370 Posts
I've been gravitating to those rusty, crunchy bikes that have so obviously not been on the road in some time.
You should visit that guy in Bremerton
Old 02-24-21, 10:02 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by droppedandlost
You should visit that guy in Bremerton

That's where this one was, albiet a different seller. I know which seller you're referring to. I was so tempted when that guy had a RockCombo a couple years ago. I've heard he's hard to deal with, but he does have some groovy,crunchy stuff pass through.
Old 02-24-21, 10:23 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3807 Post(s)
Liked 6,676 Times in 2,607 Posts
I’d say you have at least $50 worth of rust there.
Old 02-24-21, 11:11 PM
droppedandlost 
small ring

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 925 Times in 370 Posts
That's where this one was, albiet a different seller. I know which seller you're referring to. I was so tempted when that guy had a RockCombo a couple years ago. I've heard he's hard to deal with, but he does have some groovy,crunchy stuff pass through.
I've been tempted to go because he usually has some tall frames, but they're all so crusty!