Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Will baby boomers live much longer than expected?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Will baby boomers live much longer than expected?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-21, 03:58 PM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
Apparently Millennials will live longer due to cycling. Unless they get hit by cars.

Cyclists by age in US in 2018:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/227415/number-of-cyclists-and-bike-riders-usa/
Old 02-18-21, 04:58 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Never underestimate the incentive for baby boomers to live longer just to spite those who say, "Hey Boomer!"
Likes For Bill in VA:
Old 02-19-21, 07:42 AM
UncleG

Bikes: Surly LHT, Trek 950 Single-Track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
Eatin dust...

I'm at the tail end of the baby boomer generation, and I'll be honest there's a lot of baby boomers who are 10-15 years older than me who are totally bonked.

One thing I have hypothesized is that when the baby boomers are gone, myself included... There's going to be a lot of "toys" a lot of adult toys a lot of recreational toys a lot of toys that will make absolutely no sense but nevertheless retain a high dollar value... and all these toys are all going to be available for the next Generation(s) to enjoy or toss in the landfill.
Old 02-19-21, 12:24 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
Yesterday a sad report came out. Covid has already chopped off a year for whites and 3 years for blacks.
We'll be lucky if that's all, after it's done.
Old 02-19-21, 12:36 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
no. life expectancy went down this year
Old 02-19-21, 01:02 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by UncleG
I'm at the tail end of the baby boomer generation, and I'll be honest there's a lot of baby boomers who are 10-15 years older than me who are totally bonked.

One thing I have hypothesized is that when the baby boomers are gone, myself included... There's going to be a lot of "toys" a lot of adult toys a lot of recreational toys a lot of toys that will make absolutely no sense but nevertheless retain a high dollar value... and all these toys are all going to be available for the next Generation(s) to enjoy or toss in the landfill.
My wife is a home organizer. She's seen that trend happening for years now, but with things like adult children having to deal with multiple sets of "good china" or "good furniture" that Mom held on to but no longer needs now that they're downsizing or moving into assisted living. Bikes, golf clubs, fishing equipment now too. I've helped her sell a few of her clients' bikes in the last year.
Likes For caloso:
Old 02-24-21, 09:10 PM
UncleG

I'm at the tale end of the boomers and I'm 66. I ride.
Old 02-25-21, 06:29 AM
WheelsDoHeal

Bikes: 22 Specialized TurboVado SL 4.0,20 Specialized Sirrus X 4.0, 2019 Devinci Hatchet Carbon, Jamis Tangier

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
I’m past that !

From my adolescence, always thought that I would ride to the Big clouds in the sky before 68 yo, (69 if really fortunate), but I’m now in my early 70s, and still kicking (and riding, rowing, paddling, hiking and salt water swimming with my friends) and even with a few serious physically challenged health issues and a few near death events (proudly wear scars from the notorious, high-risk “family amusement venue, Action Park” in New Jersey adventures and lived to talk about it), I’m Still here.
I’m on borrowed time, and the clock is reportedly ticking (although I can no longer hear it so well) !! YES !!

Last edited by WheelsDoHeal; 02-25-21 at 07:40 AM.
Likes For WheelsDoHeal:
Old 02-25-21, 07:38 AM
lesoudeur

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If they have lucked out with genetics, have had a clean environment and keep doing stuff (including exercising)...and do get Covid
Old 02-25-21, 08:02 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
From my observation living in Charlotte North Carolina, this time of year I see "mostly" people over, say, 40 years of age riding with maybe half of those being over "55-ish". I see almost no children riding bikes. I am 62 now and that is a stark difference from when I was a kid. When I was a kid, ALL kids had bikes and that's how we got to Jimmy's house.

My other observation is that there "seems" to be a "decline" over-all in younger adults exercising regularly. Before you bash me, I said a decline, not that no young adults are exercising. I think us Baby Boomers who got on the exercise train when we were young have continued and it has kept us healthier than our parents. Hence, many Baby Boomers are living longer.
Likes For drlogik:
Old 02-25-21, 08:03 AM
WheelsDoHeal

Bikes: 22 Specialized TurboVado SL 4.0,20 Specialized Sirrus X 4.0, 2019 Devinci Hatchet Carbon, Jamis Tangier

...and If they did Not luck out with genetics, and are Still riding, then what ? I ask because my dad died from stomach cancer in his mid-thirties.
...and he died The Same Month that I was Born, and I have his genes. My point is that even when the cards were not dealt in my favor, it did not seem to matter all that much, given the logical heart-healthy diet and life-style adjustments that I have embraced.

It IS Still a roll of the dice for some.

Point made the hard way.

Last edited by WheelsDoHeal; 02-25-21 at 09:40 AM.
Old 02-27-21, 12:42 PM
surveyor6

Bikes: 1961 Higgins Flightliner

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 70 Posts
I went to a testing center on Monday to get a covid test. They took my vitals, and then became concerned that my resting pulse was only 55. They were so concerned about my pulse that they brought over a PA to check me.
- I explained that I am a lifelong runner and cyclist and they finally let me take the covid test.
- I didnt realize that 55 was so far below average in the general population. Lance Armstrongs pulse is in the 40s.
Old 02-27-21, 05:26 PM
Gyro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by surveyor6
I went to a testing center on Monday to get a covid test. They took my vitals, and then became concerned that my resting pulse was only 55. They were so concerned about my pulse that they brought over a PA to check me.
- I explained that I am a lifelong runner and cyclist and they finally let me take the covid test.
- I didnt realize that 55 was so far below average in the general population. Lance Armstrongs pulse is in the 40s.
I had a hernia operation a few years back. My surgeon was the head surgeon for the local hospital. I let him know before hand, my heart rate also ran in those numbers. Being in my mid-sixties I was concerned what could happen on the table if they saw them running that low. Afterward he told me I was in better shape than all his fifties aged patients.
Old 02-27-21, 08:05 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6935 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
Originally Posted by surveyor6
I used to ride with a guy whose resting HR was usually around 32. Once, at a doctor's office, the nurse did the routine check of his pulse, and immediately ran out and called for a crash cart -- then he quickly told her that it was perfectly normal for him.
Old 02-27-21, 08:11 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I'm at the tale end of the boomers and I'm 66. I ride.
1946–1964 is generally accepted to be the Baby Boom.
Old 02-28-21, 11:38 PM
mr_pedro

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
Yesterday a sad report came out. Covid has already chopped off a year for whites and 3 years for blacks.
We'll be lucky if that's all, after it's done.
That might not say what you think it is. It does not mean that people are now expected to live those 1 or 3 years shorter.

Main reason is that the higher mortality experienced in the last year is not expected to continue into the future. But that is exactly what is assumed in the underlying calculations of that study.
Old 03-02-21, 06:15 AM
Schwinneffect

Bikes: Invicta 3 speed

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
New tech and old problems

I expect life expectancy to fall in spite of promising new tech. Rapamycin, senolytics, etc might add 5 to 10% to health span, but opiate overdoses and type 2 diabetes kill thousands. For those interested and dedicated to fitness 100 years of quality life is more realistic than ever. Unfortunately sick people are very profitable. The sheer number of people on this planet means non perishable food such as refined carbs and hydrogenated oils will remain major parts of the average diet. But why be average? I will be eating veggies from my wife's garden. I hope to see y'all on the bike trails when I'm 95.
Old 03-02-21, 08:18 AM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 86 Posts
Yup

Originally Posted by drlogik
From my observation living in Charlotte North Carolina, this time of year I see "mostly" people over, say, 40 years of age riding with maybe half of those being over "55-ish". I see almost no children riding bikes. I am 62 now and that is a stark difference from when I was a kid. When I was a kid, ALL kids had bikes and that's how we got to Jimmy's house.

My other observation is that there "seems" to be a "decline" over-all in younger adults exercising regularly. Before you bash me, I said a decline, not that no young adults are exercising. I think us Baby Boomers who got on the exercise train when we were young have continued and it has kept us healthier than our parents. Hence, many Baby Boomers are living longer.
It's not just that they're exercising less, its the fact you don't see kids outside playing anymore.
The local bike shop owner here said that is worrisome that they'll be no new customers because they dont use bikes these kids coming up??
Old 03-02-21, 08:39 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
I just saw this topic. I didn't read all 5 pages to get up to date. However, I work at a place that makes insulin. We often have training about how hard life can be for type 2's and the typical outcomes. This training often includes how many people are diabetic or undiagnosed. The chart is not flattering in the pattern, increasing. All age ranges. Basically following the trend of obesity.

I say that to mean, I do not believe boomers will live longer than expected if you actually research and look into the data to form the "estimate" of life expectancy. I wish the prognosis was better. Care is improving on that front with the goal to get people diagnosed early, and onto diet/exercise programs instead of too late and on a lifetime of medication.

I can see however if you look at data sets that paint a horror story of life expectancy that the outcome in the end might end up better.

But, with the incidence of disease on the rise, it's tough in the short term to expect the prognosis to have a miracle turnaround. I hope it does! But, it isn't yet.

This also is not to exclude older or younger generations from the metric or data set. It appears to apply to most of the range of ages.
Old 03-02-21, 10:32 AM
UncleG

Originally Posted by WheelsDoHeal
when I was kid
A while ago I was reminded that as a baby boomer growing up in a neighborhood we all had plenty of kids in the neighborhood to play with. We could scrounge up a baseball game in a half a minute.

It was wonderful, and I had forgotten that.
Old 03-02-21, 08:00 PM
WheelsDoHeal

A while ago I was reminded that as a baby boomer growing up in a neighborhood we all had plenty of kids in the neighborhood to play with. We could scrounge up a baseball game in a half a minute.

It was wonderful, and I had forgotten that.
...and, back in the day (sixty years ago-ish) half the time, the sentence of younger people, would start out with “Let’s Pretend...”

So, When was the last time that “Let’s Pretend...” phrase, with few exceptions, or word or concept, was used by someone, Anyone that You can remember, except when referring to the boomers ?

The imagination today, in my opinion, may, to many, has been supplanted/replaced by the “WOW” factor and, high and higher energy-driven-experience expectations, so that the present reality needs (Must) Deliver for the Combined Visual, Aural and Tactile sensory overload for even the most trivial of any cause/effects ? And then, to Even catch the person”s attention, let alone a response, other than to move their thumb over their digital device, or save the finger effort altogether and just “instruct” the robot to perform the desired task.

Example: Just try Operating the windshield wipers on a new vehicle, without taking the 6-week “training instruction course”, now available on whatever media platform you choose. You can rely on the automatic sensing circuits to activate the wipers. Of course you can...

So many assumptions...

So the next time you get behind the wheel of an unfamiliar vehicle, and you experience a thunderstorm without any warning or “training”
...Not to Worry...
WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG ?

Last edited by WheelsDoHeal; 03-02-21 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-03-21, 02:27 PM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 895 Post(s)
Liked 605 Times in 362 Posts
Originally Posted by coffeesnob
Thats not physical work. I'm talking about regular 7 to 3:30 back breaking jobs. Younger folk don't want that. They are even having a hard time of getting people who want to drive semi trucks.
It's physical work but it's not in the same league as something like blacksmithing or digging. It's still a lot more tiring to do than sitting at a desk. Even then I see a fair mix in ages when it comes to manual labour here - There were some landscapers working on my neighbours place today which was an older guy who delivered the digger, talked to the client and then left whilst 2 guys in their low 20's did a full day of work.