Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Mechanicals on tour

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Mechanicals on tour

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-19, 06:46 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
I can say is that I have used it quite a few times and have not had any problems. I don't tighten cassettes super tight though.

Could it damage some dropout designs? I don't know, but it seems unlikely to me for it to do real damage unless you fail to follow the directions for the tool. Minor paint issues can occur in a spot I wouldn't even notice, but they can be avoided. These days Unior provides a piece of what looks like HDPE plastic to protect the paint where the tool bears against the dropout. I never bothered protecting that spot and never noticed any damage, but you certainly can if you are worried about it either with the now provided piece of plastic or with something else.

Check out a video of it at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcuUjEzsuT8
Man that is EXCELLENT! Light, small and versatile! I need to get one of these for touring as I have needed to remove a cassette to replace a spoke. More than once. I stopped carrying the lockring remover as I now ride a really strong wheelset to lower my chance of needing this, but Hey taht si a great tool!
Old 11-18-19, 07:12 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
I used to carry a pretty robust set of tools until ine day I had a pedal self destruct on a tour. I had to pedal On tHE stub of an axle for several hours until I got to my destinaion. From there I called Nashbar and ordered a replacement pedal overnighted for 10:30 AM delivery. The FedEx guy came and even had a crecent wrench in his truck to loan me for a minute to make the swap. Now I carry just a few basic tools and basically use FedEx and local bike shops if something severe happens. I mean, you can get a set of wheels or a chain tool overnighted anywhere in the world if you need them... though pretty much I do not tour in very remote places so I can find a way to get a few miles to somewhere I can get more serious help if I need. I rely a lot on other resources now in an emergency.

I managed to travel about 8 miles on a chainless bike by walking it, strider riding it and coasting down hills. I averaged 8 MPH that way, so you can almost always get by. I have loaded my bike in my lap in thr back of an Uber ride in a pinch. I hve a carried the luggage of a friend on a tour for 15 miles when his frame showed a crack as he nursed it along for the final day of our tour..

For me, a good quality bike well maintained before departure and resourcefulness on the ride are a pretty good replacement for a lot of infrequently used worst-case tools like BB tools, cone/pedal wrenches, spare wheels, etc... And just good multitool, tire levers, extra master, link small rag and gloves and now that thing in the video above is basiclly what I will carry.
Old 11-20-19, 04:18 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Not sure if this is possible on all hubs but I use a SunXCD high flange hub. I tapped (M6) the hub so I can use a quick-release skewer to pop off the entire cassette body. Makes it fairly easy to replace drive-side spokes if it ever comes to that.
A 6mm bolt is fairly light to carry around...

Velo Duo made a video about it.

As for tools, this is what I carry. I love the (fairly expensive) Knipex 8603125 mini wrench pliers. 105 grams for all bolts between 0-23mm and it helps to grip or bend items back into shape.

Last edited by JaccoW; 11-20-19 at 04:35 AM.
Old 11-20-19, 06:39 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18398 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
For me, a good quality bike well maintained before departure and resourcefulness on the ride are a pretty good replacement for a lot of infrequently used worst-case tools like BB tools, cone/pedal wrenches, spare wheels, etc... And just good multitool, tire levers, extra master, link small rag and gloves and now that thing in the video above is basiclly what I will carry.
+1. I rode across the country with a group of 12 others. That represented nearly 50,000 bike/miles. (Two people dropped out at different points along the way.) No one was ever unable to continue due to mechanical issues. The worst problem arose when a guy rode into a cinder block-sized pothole and twisted both of his rims. I trued them as good as I could. He made it to the day's destination. The next day was a short day to a town where there was a good shop which replaced both wheels. We didn't even have one chain mechanical the entire three months.
Old 11-20-19, 08:00 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
I agree with adding a cassette removal tool, and I usually carry a 6" adjustable. That can change a pedal in a pinch.

Most of my tool kit is in my head. I pay close attention to the bike as I ride it. For instance, if I need to adjust shift cable tension more than once a week, I'll inspect the cable for fraying or housing failure, then replace it before it breaks. When I pump up tires, I'll check the wheels for play. I'll check the headset when stopped with the front brake on. I'll give a crank a squeeze against the seat tube once in a while to check the bottom bracket, and check pedals while I'm there.

Same thing for the motor--if something starts hurting, don't ignore it.
Agree -- but as for adjustable wrench, I've been known to cut down a 8- or 10-inch adjustable so it would fit in my tool bag... My Fuji's headset nut would have needed the larger adjustment that the bigger (but shorter) wrench provided... A few minutes with a cut-off wheel in your home shop can/will save you HOURS of time on the side of the road.
Old 11-20-19, 11:06 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 616 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT

I usually carry a pretty good set up, but of the tools I have not brought are:
Cone wrenches
Bottom bracket tool
Cassette tool

Now, I'm starting to wonder if I should carry them

Looking over my tools and wondering if I need to add some to the travel kit. Is a bottom bracket tool really useful for the hollow techs?
I mean, they are sealed systems where no maintenance can be done, if it becomes loose, a good hand tighten will be enough for a temp solution, and if I need to replace it, I'm sure the LBS where I buy one will have the tool.
Am I missing something?

As far as carrying a crescent wrench (adjustable) just for a cassette tool, my tool has a hole where I can use a hex wrench for leverage for moderate torque. No need to carry such a heavy piece for very rare use.
Old 11-20-19, 11:36 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 192 Posts
I'm probably the only person on this planet that carries a crank arm bolt when I tour. Why, because I'm probably the only person on this planet that has had one actually back out, getting lost somewhere along the way and create a miserable experience (it's a show stopper). Normally it's hard to get one of those loose when you want to remove it unless you're the Hulk or use a cheater bar, but NOOOO, I had one actually back out on it's own. Btw, good luck finding one anywhere, short of ordering online.
Old 11-20-19, 11:52 PM
linus
Crawler

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by JaccoW
Not sure if this is possible on all hubs but I use a SunXCD high flange hub. I tapped (M6) the hub so I can use a quick-release skewer to pop off the entire cassette body. Makes it fairly easy to replace drive-side spokes if it ever comes to that.
A 6mm bolt is fairly light to carry around...

The current generation of hubs that use endcaps for different axle compatibility will do the same. DTSwiss, Stan's Notubes, Hope, and etc.
Likes For linus:
Old 11-20-19, 11:58 PM
linus
Crawler

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by robow
I'm probably the only person on this planet that carries a crank arm bolt when I tour. Why, because I'm probably the only person on this planet that has had one actually back out, getting lost somewhere along the way and create a miserable experience (it's a show stopper). Normally it's hard to get one of those loose when you want to remove it unless you're the Hulk or use a cheater bar, but NOOOO, I had one actually back out on it's own. Btw, good luck finding one anywhere, short of ordering online.
I had a CX bike with an FSA crankset that had that issue. I crashed hard because I didn't know and during a race, my crankarm fell off. Apparently they have changed the installation instruction to add Loctite after so many complaints.
Old 11-21-19, 10:41 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3454 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
Originally Posted by robow
Not sure which type of crank arm you had come loose, my touring bikes are square taper.

A few decades ago in the era of toe clips (before clipless pedals), a friend of mine was telling me that he was out for a ride and suddenly heard someone yelling loudly several swear words, he looked and saw a cyclist with the pedal hanging from his shoe, strapped on with the toe clip, and a crank arm hanging loosely from the pedal. So, if that happened to you, I can see why you carry a spare.

I have to pull the crank arms off to pack my S&S coupled bike, I carry the puller but do not carry a spare bolt. And carry the 8mm allen wrench you need for the bolt.

I used to use self extracting bolts, but one of the self extracting mechanisms self extracted somewhere in the middle of Iceland. When I went to pack up the bike, I had to remove the self extractor off of one arm and install it on the other to get that crank off, and I did not have the proper tools to do that, but it had to be done and somehow got it done. Now I carry a proper crank puller instead of gambling on those self extractors.

Major bummer when you realize the extractor is missing.

I have heard that a broken seatpost bolt can be pretty disastrous. I used to carry a spare, but when I realized that my stem cap bolt would fit, stopped carrying a spare. But one of my bikes, the stem cap bolt will not fit so I do carry a spare on that bike.
Old 11-21-19, 10:45 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Re seatpost bolt, amongst my various doofus moves over the years, I've broken seat post bolts twice, on one of my bikes and a kids bike.... Simply being stupid and over tightening...
Old 11-21-19, 03:48 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Originally Posted by djb
Re seatpost bolt, amongst my various doofus moves over the years, I've broken seat post bolts twice, on one of my bikes and a kids bike.... Simply being stupid and over tightening...
Did you have any trouble getting the threaded part out?

I occasionally note that my seatpost slipped a bit, thus needed more tightening. I wrap some electrical tape around the post but leave about a 5mm gap between the tape and frame so I can see if there was any slippage.
Old 11-21-19, 05:24 PM
djb

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Did you have any trouble getting the threaded part out?

I occasionally note that my seatpost slipped a bit, thus needed more tightening. I wrap some electrical tape around the post but leave about a 5mm gap between the tape and frame so I can see if there was any slippage.
I don't recall both times being an issue. Seems to me on my bike I maybe used some pliers and was able to get the broken part out as enough was protruding, same with the kids bike, but both were probably more than 10 years ago, so a bit vague on the details.
I've taken a spare bolt when I traveled with my old mtb maybe 6 years ago, and should have a spare for my troll in case i repeat the mistake one day, although i certainly am more careful now.
I've done other dumb over tightening things too, so one never knows if I could mess up again.

And yes, I also put tape or a grease pencil mark as a reference to keep an eye on.
Old 11-22-19, 05:16 AM
staehpj1

Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
Agree -- but as for adjustable wrench, I've been known to cut down a 8- or 10-inch adjustable so it would fit in my tool bag... My Fuji's headset nut would have needed the larger adjustment that the bigger (but shorter) wrench provided... A few minutes with a cut-off wheel in your home shop can/will save you HOURS of time on the side of the road.
I have to wonder about all of the folks who say they took a 6" adjustable wrench to use with their cassette puller. If I remember correctly none of my 6" adjustable wrenches opened far enough to fit my cassette tools. I have three different cassette tools and three different 6" adjustable wrenches and if I recall correctly none of them fit. The wrenches were a little too small to fit the cassette tool. Maybe they found a 6" adjustable that opened wider, a cassette tool that was smaller, or they modified a 6" adjustable or the cassette tool. At one point, before I had the Unior Cassette Cracker I considered just brazing a handle onto the cassette tool. I sometimes wondered why they don't have a handle.

As far as an 8" or 10" adjustable wrench, that is a pretty heavy tool even if you cut the handle down. I'd think you could take a whole stack of the thin park tool wrenches like the HCW-6 (a short pedal-headset combo), cone wrenches, and others, basically all the wrenches for everything on the bike, and still be as light as a cut down 8" wrench.
Old 11-22-19, 06:58 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
I have to wonder about all of the folks who say they took a 6" adjustable wrench to use with their cassette puller. If I remember correctly none of my 6" adjustable wrenches opened far enough...
depends....some cassette tools are a wee bit thinner than others, some folks grind down the flats. you could always modify an old cone wrench, but then you'd lose the benefits of having an adjustable wrench.

not all 6" wrenches have identical jaw gaps. i took my cassette tool to the local tool store to try out all the brands until i found one that fit. most did not.
Old 11-22-19, 07:26 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
I had my nephew weld a small but to the top of my cassette tool in order to be able to use a small crescent wrench. Works great. BTW I do not over tighten so I can easily use my modified chain whip. I short length of chain and a length of nylon cord wrapped around the wheel.
Old 11-22-19, 07:35 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by saddlesores
depends....some cassette tools are a wee bit thinner than others, some folks grind down the flats. you could always modify an old cone wrench, but then you'd lose the benefits of having an adjustable wrench.

not all 6" wrenches have identical jaw gaps. i took my cassette tool to the local tool store to try out all the brands until i found one that fit. most did not.
I agree with all of that. I am just surprised that so many comments just say "I take a 6 inch adjustable wrench". It seems to imply that they just fit. I found that as a general rule they don't. If they ground the cassette tool you would think that would be mentioned. I checked my tools and the 8" adjustable wrenches that I have just fit the cassette tools that I have with very little extra wiggle room.
Old 11-22-19, 07:36 AM
djb

as staep says, same with me, all of my smaller adjustable wrenches are too small.
re a larger wrench, on my first big bike trip I took waaaay too much stuff, specifically tools, and although I dont recall exactly, I may have taken a bigger adjustable wrench and other dumb stuff that weighed a ton.

oh btw, I never heard back from the Unior company in eastern europe about do they sell their product in canada....
Old 11-22-19, 07:38 AM
djb

Originally Posted by Tandem Tom
I had my nephew weld a small but to the top of my cassette tool in order to be able to use a small crescent wrench. Works great. BTW I do not over tighten so I can easily use my modified chain whip. I short length of chain and a length of nylon cord wrapped around the wheel.
not the first time Ive read or seen of folks like you who made a lightweight thing like this, seems like a great idea
Old 11-22-19, 07:59 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
I agree with all of that. I am just surprised that so many comments just say "I take a 6 inch adjustable wrench". It seems to imply that they just fit. I found that as a general rule they don't. If they ground the cassette tool you would think that would be mentioned. I checked my tools and the 8" adjustable wrenches that I have just fit the cassette tools that I have with very little extra wiggle room.
this is just your basic cheap (cheaper than harbor freight) wrench from a local shop here in china, same for the cassette tool. tool weighs 48g, wrench is 126g.

the tool flats measure 19mm. the 6" (150mm) wrench is marked "大开口" (wide opening), and will open to 22mm.

I don't overtighten the lock ring, so do not carry a chain whip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
crescent-cassette tool-x.JPG (101.4 KB, 75 views)
Old 11-22-19, 08:54 AM
staehpj1

this is just your basic cheap (cheaper than harbor freight) wrench from a local shop here in china, same for the cassette tool. tool weighs 48g, wrench is 126g.

the tool flats measure 19mm. the 6" (150mm) wrench is marked "大开口" (wide opening), and will open to 22mm.

I don't overtighten the lock ring, so do not carry a chain whip.
Maybe the current crop of cassette tools are smaller than mine? Mine measure 24 mm. So 22mm wouldn't cut it. Granted they are probably from when cassettes first were popular (1980?).
Old 11-22-19, 09:14 AM
djb

Maybe the current crop of cassette tools are smaller than mine? Mine measure 24 mm. So 22mm wouldn't cut it. Granted they are probably from when cassettes first were popular (1980?).
got me curious, my old one is also 24mm
I have to say, I'm leery of having to carry another tool (an adjustable wrench specifically). I already have added a very light set of small needle nose pliers to my "long trip kit" because they make changing disc pads a lot easier on my BB7's, and am leaning very much towards a "unior" type small light cassette tool combined with a "strap and whatever" light chainwhip equivalent, for future trips, figuring the chances are smallish that I'll need them given my riding history--so keep the weight to a minimum.
Old 11-22-19, 10:23 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by djb
and am leaning very much towards a "unior" type small light cassette tool combined with a "strap and whatever" light chainwhip equivalent, for future trips, figuring the chances are smallish that I'll need them given my riding history--so keep the weight to a minimum.
No need for chain whip or equivalent with the unior or other cracker type cassette type tools.
Old 11-22-19, 11:17 AM
djb

oops, forgot to add, "if with my horizontal dropouts it wouldnt work properly" , although I guess at that point the only advantage to the unior is that its small and light, compared to a regular sized cassette tool like we have, the 24mm ones
Old 11-22-19, 11:24 AM
Tourist in MSN

.... I am just surprised that so many comments just say "I take a 6 inch adjustable wrench". It seems to imply that they just fit. I found that as a general rule they don't. If they ground the cassette tool you would think that would be mentioned. I checked my tools and the 8" adjustable wrenches that I have just fit the cassette tools that I have with very little extra wiggle room.
Initially, I filed two two of the six flats on a cheap Nashbar cassette lock ring tool to fit my adjustable wrench.

... . you could always modify an old cone wrench, ....
Last winter at a swap meet I saw a cone wrench of typical cone wrench length that on one end was 23 or 24mm. My Park cassette tools (one for Campy, one for Shimano/Sram) were both one inch, or 25.4mm. Bought the cone wrench and filed it down to fit. Weighs 55 grams.

I noted above and am repeating here that I previously started a thread with a light weight substitute for a chain whip. The photo I posted at this link also includes the cassette tool that I filed down to fit the wrench in that photo, but I now would carry the filed down cone wrench which is lighter.
https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/8...ip-travel.html

Wow, I started that thread in 2012, time flies when you are having fun.

A side note, when I put my folding bike into my S&S case, I found that the wheels fit better when I pulled the cassette off the rear wheel. Thus, broken spokes are not the only reason to pull a cassette off.

Note to Staehpj1, that also gave me an excuse to tighten up that little screw that holds all the cassette sprockets together, Sram cassette takes a 1.5mm allen wrench. If I recall, you had a problem with that little screw and your spoke heads on one occasion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.