Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Transporting bike(s) in bed of pickup?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-20, 07:27 AM
SteckMark

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How have you transported your bike(s) in the bed of a pickup? Would you put your bike flat under a Tonneau cover?
Old 05-14-20, 08:05 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts

a lot of options for pickups on a search. Lying down flat not my fav but a strap with bike upright cheap and so is tailgate mat

Old 05-14-20, 08:07 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 2,637 Times in 947 Posts
No tonneau. Just lay it down flat in the bed. Thinking about getting a rack.
Old 05-14-20, 08:30 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts
Fork Mount

I've had a fork mount crossbar for about 20 years and it has worked very well. I don't have my own picture of it but I snipped one from an ad (different brand; I doubt mine is available anymore).

Similar to what I've had for 20 years.

There are other options; search "bike rack for pickup truck bed" in the big South American river site.

I've seen single fork clamps that fit in the sidepost slots but I'm not seeing them now for sale. That seemed like a good option for a single bike.
Likes For flangehead:
Old 05-14-20, 08:42 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 826 Posts
Originally Posted by flangehead
I've had a fork mount crossbar for about 20 years and it has worked very well. I don't have my own picture of it but I snipped one from an ad (different brand; I doubt mine is available anymore).

There are other options; search "bike rack for pickup truck bed" in the big South American river site.

I've seen single fork clamps that fit in the sidepost slots but I'm not seeing them now for sale. That seemed like a good option for a single bike.
This is what I do.
Old 05-14-20, 08:43 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I lay my recumbent flat in the bed. I have a tonneau cover that locks, and keeps the bike safe.
Old 05-14-20, 08:49 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
I have a setup like flangehead posted above. My brother uses a setup like this that attaches to the side gunnels of the pickup bed and hold the bike by the frame with straps. https://www.etrailer.com/Truck-Bed-B...o/INRT201.html

Dan
Old 05-14-20, 08:52 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I don't own a pick up. I've seen them set up both ways, with cover or with the fork mounts. I like the fork mount approach for its rigid setting of the bike's position. Laying it flat within the bed seems (to me) to allow for sliding around, which will wear the contact points between bed and bike. The over-the-rear gate method seems like it contacts the downtube of the frame. I wouldn't like that, even though it's fine in all practicality.
Old 05-14-20, 09:47 AM
AndrewJB

Bikes: FUJI Transonic 2.3; Motobecane LeChampion TI SL; Trek 2.3

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 22 Posts
Many truck bed liners have slots on the side walls that will fit a 2x4 wood stud. You can mount the bike fork clamp to a 2x4 that is cut to fit across the bed in those slots. it is secure, doesn't required drilling or permanent attachment to he truck bed, and is easily removed if you need the full truck bed. You can mount multiple fork clamps depending on the size of your pickup. My truck bed bottom has ridges, the rear tire fits in one of the ridges and is very secure, doesn't require straps or anything other than the fork clamp.

https://smile.amazon.com/MBP-Alloy-R...9470631&sr=8-5
Old 05-14-20, 09:51 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts

Swagman makes that exact cross bar mount, I have two and they work perfectly.
Old 05-14-20, 02:12 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3661 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
I've put fork mounts on a 2X6. I have a bed cap so obviously I have to put the bike in backwards. I clamp the fork and the back wheel is snugged up against the front of the truck bed. Seems very secure.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-14-20, 02:27 PM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 184 Posts
I used to have a setup like flangehead when my bikes had quick release wheels. However, now that thru axle is becoming the default standard on both road and mountain bikes, regular fork mounts don't work so well. After a lot of research I ordered two racks from Pipeline Racks that bolt onto the rail in my Tacoma's bed. The racks aren't cheap, but they are very well made, can be adjusted to fit mountain or road bikes, and the best part is that I don't need to take a wheel off the bike at all.

https://pipelineracks.com/collection...ard-facing-arm

Old 05-14-20, 03:51 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6958 Post(s)
Liked 10,959 Times in 4,686 Posts
Post #4 is a great option.

When I owned a pickup truck (with a topper), I did a more ghetto solution: I just bolted an old front hub to the bed - drilled right through the bottom of the bed. When I wanted to transport a bike, I removed the front wheel, put the front fork in the hub, and clamped it down with the QR. It was a great solution.

Last edited by Koyote; 05-14-20 at 04:59 PM.
Old 05-14-20, 04:21 PM
c0rbin9

Bikes: None

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 20 Posts
Just tie it to the trailer hitch and drag it behind. Don't want to scratch the bed.
Likes For c0rbin9:
Old 05-14-20, 10:11 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by SteckMark
How have you transported your bike(s) in the bed of a pickup? Would you put your bike flat under a Tonneau cover?
If you have a tonneau, yes, put it under. I have a cap,

My truck has a 6 foot bed. I carry mine and the wife's in the back of the bed laid flat. I use a big folded painters canvas drop cloth over one and lay the other on top with handlebars on opposite ends, and drive sides up, and fold the remaining end over the top bike. Before the painters tarp we used an old sleeping bag. Paint is protected, dirt is contained, bars, brake levers, pedals, etc, do not hook other parts, and they fit below the bed walls away from curious eye level. We usually remove the front wheels. THe bed liner is ridged so sliding has never been an issue.

If going on vacations we take both wheels off and use a Pedro's chain holder at the rear, due to all the other 'stuff' (or dog) being carried.

We do it the same in the SUV, but remove both wheels for dog and luggage room.

If I was using a truck with no tonneau or cap, I would use the blue waterproof camping tarps instead to hide the load, or if not stopping enroute, an upright bed rack where you remove the front wheel and clamp in the fork..
Old 05-15-20, 04:17 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts

I also do this. I got some steel angle iron and mounted the axle holders from thule on them. Used the stake pockets and just use a ratchet strap to keep the bar going across the pickup tight. (probably not needed but I am paranoid). Works awesome. Using it now for years and holds well over long and short trips all over heck.
Old 05-15-20, 06:39 AM
SteckMark

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks hillyman! Why don't you like to lie your bike(s) flat?
Old 05-15-20, 06:40 AM
SteckMark

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi loco! What kind of rack would you get and would it work under a Tonneau cover?
Old 05-15-20, 06:48 AM
SteckMark

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks flangehead! I don't know South American River site? I googled it and just get river information. Do you mind posting a link?
Old 05-15-20, 06:50 AM
SteckMark

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's what I'm looking to do, but with a road bike. My concern it that I'll damage the cranks or frame. I need the security of transporting the bike under the Tonneau cover. Thanks!
Old 05-15-20, 07:27 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
For a single bike, I like the Thule Insta-gater, easy to use and easily removable if you need the bed space. With disc brakes, I like not having to remove the front wheel.

Old 05-15-20, 09:10 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
I just throw them in the back. I had fork mounts bolted to the front of the bed of my truck, but they broke on the road into Big Bend state park a couple years ago and I haven't bothered replacing them. Normally the truck is hooked to a horse trailer, so I take the car instead.
Old 05-15-20, 12:13 PM
Ferguron

Bikes: '15 Giant Propel Advanced SL1, '17 Trek Madone RSL

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 15 Posts
I lay mine down (derailleur side up) on a moving blanket to prevent scratches and run a bungee through the wheel nearest the cab to stop it from flying away...not that I think that would happen.
Likes For Ferguron:
Old 05-15-20, 07:47 PM
257 roberts

Bikes: 2008 Trek Police bike 2019 Jamis Coda Sport 2021 Surly Bridgeclub

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 304 Posts
I lay mine down (derailleur side up)
Likes For 257 roberts:
Old 05-15-20, 08:26 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by SteckMark
I take the front wheel off so the bike will fit under the cover (Honda Ridgeline). I don't tie it down or secure it in any way. I've never had a problem, and I've taken multiple trips this way that were more than 250 miles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.