Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Chosen hub, unknown bearings

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-20, 04:09 AM
sysrq

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts

After 350km and some light shock loads the front and rear bearings (IBR-STAR) in Chosen hubs (Raleigh Pro Build) feel slightly gritty and notchy. Can't remember how smooth they were in the beginning. Not sure if it's normal or not since it has been said that hubs with spacers over axle joining two bearings together are designed to loosen when tightening QR sqever. Couldn't find anything about these Chinese bearings in forums, or anyone complaining about Raleigh Pro Build wheels in reviews. Only in the link below it says that they are high-end bearings.
​​​​https://www.nine-global.com/en/product.html

Last edited by sysrq; 10-13-20 at 04:18 AM.
Old 10-13-20, 06:33 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
just read the number code on the bearing seal to get the size. It should be something like 6804 or some other four-digit number. that code tells you the dimensions.
Old 10-13-20, 07:18 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
It reads like you have a cartridge bearinged hub, true? (Link didn't work for me).

Radical contact bearings are very sensitive to conditions of the install. Any distortion of the bearings, relative to either each other or to the axle, will result in fast wearing bearings. So an axle that bows under the skewer's pressure, a hub shell with bearing seats that are not parallel to each other and/or drop outs that induce a bending to the axle are all bad situations.

Additionally the seals that the bearings have are not usually designed to keep out water (there are water emersion grade seals/bearings, just never seen any on a bicycle). So lots of water with the bearing spinning means that water can enter the bearing and once there reduce the effectiveness of the lube or help rust start up. Andy
Old 10-13-20, 03:47 PM
sysrq

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
It reads like you have a cartridge bearinged hub, true? (Link didn't work for me).

Radical contact bearings are very sensitive to conditions of the install. Any distortion of the bearings, relative to either each other or to the axle, will result in fast wearing bearings. So an axle that bows under the skewer's pressure, a hub shell with bearing seats that are not parallel to each other and/or drop outs that induce a bending to the axle are all bad situations.

Additionally the seals that the bearings have are not usually designed to keep out water (there are water emersion grade seals/bearings, just never seen any on a bicycle). So lots of water with the bearing spinning means that water can enter the bearing and once there reduce the effectiveness of the lube or help rust start up. Andy
The only reason for misalignment I see is centering the wheel between the chainstays and seatstays, it won't stay in the center naturally (as usual). There hasn't been any water or rain near the bike. Maybe metallic particles from the pawls and engagement ring got past the seals due to overgreasing noisy freehub?
Old 10-13-20, 06:55 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Originally Posted by sysrq
The only reason for misalignment I see is centering the wheel between the chainstays and seatstays, it won't stay in the center naturally (as usual). There hasn't been any water or rain near the bike. Maybe metallic particles from the pawls and engagement ring got past the seals due to overgreasing noisy freehub?
Independent of the bearing issues this situation would make me stop and figure out why.

Back to bearings- There are well made hubs and less so using the same design elements. There are better grades of bearings, and less so, of the same dimensional spec. As mack_turtle said get the bearing spec number (usually molded onto the seal) and replace with the best (non ceramic) you can source. Install using proper techniques and go ride the bike. If the QC of the hub (or some other production issue) is poor the new ones will feel rough soon enough.

I very much doubt that metal chips have gotten past the seals. But when you remove the bearings and expose the internals you'll see easily what the insides look like. Andy
Old 10-13-20, 07:28 PM
mrrabbit 

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
After 350km and some light shock loads the front and rear bearings (IBR-STAR) in Chosen hubs (Raleigh Pro Build) feel slightly gritty and notchy. Can't remember how smooth they were in the beginning. Not sure if it's normal or not since it has been said that hubs with spacers over axle joining two bearings together are designed to loosen when tightening QR sqever. Couldn't find anything about these Chinese bearings in forums, or anyone complaining about Raleigh Pro Build wheels in reviews. Only in the link below it says that they are high-end bearings.
​​​​Star Bearing Co., Ltd. Tongxiang drill
Upload a photo of the hub.

(Chosen importer...)

Chosen's cartridge bearing hubs are Taiwan with Taiwan/Japanese bearings.

=8-|

Disclaimer:

1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
5. My all time favorite book is:

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
Old 10-13-20, 07:49 PM
sysrq

Independent of the bearing issues this situation would make me stop and figure out why.

Back to bearings- There are well made hubs and less so using the same design elements. There are better grades of bearings, and less so, of the same dimensional spec. As mack_turtle said get the bearing spec number (usually molded onto the seal) and replace with the best (non ceramic) you can source. Install using proper techniques and go ride the bike. If the QC of the hub (or some other production issue) is poor the new ones will feel rough soon enough.

I very much doubt that metal chips have gotten past the seals. But when you remove the bearings and expose the internals you'll see easily what the insides look like. Andy
It's a Thorn Audax mk3 frame with 132mm dropout width (might be the reason for additional fidling to seat the wheel (1mm of center).
The rear hub has an oversized aluminium axle (transition fit), so might be more immune to misalignment. The front hub is trough axle used with QR axle conversion (essentially supported by the end caps, clearance fit).
Can't see the reason to replace them yet (unless therey disintegrate during the tour) since
seems like the roughness sometimes goes away,
they haven't paid for themselves yet,
all Chinese bearings have been durable enough so far (high quality stuff usually is more delicate/fragile(might not apply to bearings probably),
not able to justify buying blind bearing puller yet since I normally ride about 6-8 times per year,
if rims wear out then I will need another wheel anyway.

Can’t see the reason to replace them yet, unless they disintegrate during the tour. So far all Chinese components in my cycling history have been durable enough. High quality parts are usually more delicate.

Last edited by sysrq; 10-13-20 at 09:13 PM.
Old 10-13-20, 08:11 PM
sysrq

Originally Posted by mrrabbit
Upload a photo of the hub.

(Chosen importer...)

Chosen's cartridge bearing hubs are Taiwan with Taiwan/Japanese bearings.

=8-|
The only reference to Taiwan I could find in their website was their sales department email
sbr@sbr.com.tw
Tongxiang City itself is in China.
Another one mentioning IBR-STAR in their company profile is here.
https://www.etradeasia.com/supplier-2591/I-STAR-INTERNATIONAL-CO-LTD.html

Last edited by sysrq; 10-13-20 at 08:27 PM.
Old 10-13-20, 08:31 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
Radical contact bearings...
Minor spelling quibble, Andy... "radial", not "radical".
Steve
Old 10-14-20, 12:41 AM
mrrabbit 

The only reference to Taiwan I could find in their website was their sales department email
sbr@sbr.com.tw
Tongxiang City itself is in China.
Another one mentioning IBR-STAR in their company profile is here.
https://www.etradeasia.com/supplier-...AL-CO-LTD.html
As I stated, I'm a Chosen importer. Their SCB hubs are made in Taiwan and use Taiwan/Japanese bearings.

=8-|

Picture of the hub please...

=8-|

Disclaimer:

4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
Old 10-14-20, 03:18 AM
sysrq

As I stated, I'm a Chosen importer. Their SCB hubs are made in Taiwan and use Taiwan/Japanese bearings.

=8-|

Picture of the hub please...

=8-|

Front hub only, for now.

8 speed dork hub
Old 10-14-20, 12:23 PM
mrrabbit 

Your rear hub is this one:

Chosen Co., Ltd:::HUBS?Disc brake?wheel set

Front hub is probably an M9 version of this:

Ask for "April"

Make sure you send the same photos.

And then ask for the Cartridge Bearing Numbers #### for rebuilding the hubs.

Finally, I recommended checking the dropout alignments front and rear - cartridge bearing hubs are sensitive to dropout misalignment.

=8-|

Disclaimer:

Old 10-15-20, 07:01 AM
sysrq

Ask for "April"

Finally, I recommended checking the dropout alignments front and rear - cartridge bearing hubs are sensitive to dropout misalignment.

=8-|
Probably will have to check the dropout and frame alignment since I have crashed recently due to front wheel loosing traction on a slippery grass.

Last edited by sysrq; 10-15-20 at 07:24 AM.
Old 10-22-20, 05:47 PM
sysrq

Ask for "April"

=8-|
"Justin (Burls, the frame designer) echoed what Dave said; the 132.5mm mid point setting would always stress the frame and the dropouts would never be parallel to the hubs."
The wheel also is offset more to one side when flipped over with the cassette on non-drive side. Otherwise it seems to be in the center on drive side, when trying to fit some spacers as a feeler gauges between seatstays and chainstays.
Old 11-03-20, 04:49 PM
sysrq

The actual dropout spacing is 134.5mm (frame advertised as 132.5mm). Dropouts are even less parallel when installing the wheel then.

Last edited by sysrq; 11-03-20 at 06:30 PM.