Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Day 5, 3rd day with rain in a row

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Day 5, 3rd day with rain in a row

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-20, 12:58 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18419 Post(s)
Liked 15,559 Times in 7,332 Posts
Originally Posted by mev
I think you might be creating a bit of a straw man when you refer to a "norm". In my experience, slamming miles, 100 miles a day and gram counting is much more an exception that what I see myself and most others I meet doing.
+1. It’s not a binary situation. I don’t carry an immense load, but I also don’t “slam miles” or count grams. Over the years I have developed a sense of what I want/need for each trip and make decisions like taking the somewhat larger and heavier tent for a pretty flat, long weekend trip but taking the smaller, lighter tent for a two-week trip in western mountains.
Old 11-01-20, 01:05 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 795 Posts
kc, what I meant by a different mindset was really referring to car camping etc, and I responded just because of your complaining of how hard the climb was to that town.
Its pretty clear about your view on having x, y or zed things, and it's pretty clear that you probably won't change, but hey, like you said, you gotta ride your own ride.
To me the most important thing is that you are enjoying yourself and that's all that matters.
Old 11-01-20, 01:30 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by mev
What has worked best for me is to do a bit of a feedback cycle on what worked/what didn't work after my trips as well as slowly developing checklist. In that regard, I had found that weight on the bike was less about buying the most lightweight stuff and more about setting out my gear and taking a good look at it to divide into a few piles...

So I think this is less about conforming to a specific "norm" or trying to be difference and more about looking at how one tunes ones process and gear as you learn more what works and what doesn't work...
Excellent post.

Originally Posted by djb
kc, what I meant by a different mindset was really referring to car camping etc, and I responded just because of your complaining of how hard the climb was to that town.
Its pretty clear about your view on having x, y or zed things, and it's pretty clear that you probably won't change, but hey, like you said, you gotta ride your own ride.
To me the most important thing is that you are enjoying yourself and that's all that matters.
The point about the climb for that resupply run was an example of trip decisions and rolling with what is dealt - one of those "gotchas" you mentioned:
Originally Posted by djb
for as long as I can remember when bike touring, these sort of "gotcha" moments at the end of the day, to the campground, to the town to buy food, whatever, have always been around--and always will be, it's just part of bike touring.
Was it complaining? Sure. Was it complaining to the point I'll never cycle tour again? Not hardly. Same goes for all the rain/mist/fog. It was what it was. Yeah, it would have been nice to resupply in that example down on the valley floor but there wasn't a place close. It would have been easier to get up to the store with less weight, yea, but for the duration I was out - and at that point I had a pretty full supply of water (the gallon jug was mostly full as I filled it on the north end of the national park where I had access to running water to fill up from) - given what I know if I was in that same position I would have made the same decision at that time because that got me protein and snack bars. I had some breakfast stuff, but my main food was run down and I didn't want to stretch it another 2-3 days on just eating pancakes and cream of wheat... Plus thats a lot of time cooking. So the climb got me a few days worth of food which stretched me through my 2nd 0 day so it worked out. If I had it to do over again, I am not sure if I would have topped off all my water at the north end of the national park - that would have easily dropped 10-15lbs. Then I could have picked up a couple gallons at the store then just rode down with it, and not up. But at the time I filled up I had no idea where/when I was going to resupply and I had problems getting water on the way up so my priority was making sure I had water on the way back.
Old 11-01-20, 02:28 PM
djb

no doubt about it, having to carry food and water adds a lot. Ive been lucky in that Ive pretty much always had access to enough water, so havent had to carry more than maybe 4 litres or so, so about 1 U.S gallon.
Oh, and you can sometimes find ebay listings of used equipment, so if you bide your time, you can bid on some good stuff, but of course, no need to do my bidding (there, three for three ;-)
Likes For djb:
Old 11-01-20, 05:46 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Just curious. About how much do you think all your gear weighs?

Hats off to you for making any kind of hill climb whilst riding with that load.

Cheers
Old 11-01-20, 06:07 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Originally Posted by Miele Man
Just curious. About how much do you think all your gear weighs?

Hats off to you for making any kind of hill climb whilst riding with that load.

Cheers
I tallied up the weights I wrote down when I left - as I put bags together and loaded the bike I took the weights but I never added them up until earlier today. That weight came to 116 pounds. There were a couple things that the weight did not account for - fishing rod case and my radio antenna + mount + pole that was already on the bike. So I am rounding that weight up to 120lbs.

If you figure the discrepancy with water and food at times - going back to the extra gallon I had full at times and some canned food I added on-the-go - the weight range was probably between 120-140lbs to the best of my guessing.

If it means much, my weight is usually around 155lbs also.

I am not sure what my bike weighs with the racks etc but I believe the bare stock weight is right about 30lbs - so figure add a few lbs for the racks and the cabling for the power system I run, the dummy bar/2nd stem, spacers on the tall steer tube, etc, etc.
Old 11-01-20, 07:36 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Did I understand you last post? The weight of the gear, 130lbs, did not include the bike.
Old 11-01-20, 07:43 PM
KC8QVO

Originally Posted by Doug64
Did I understand you last post? The weight of the gear, 130lbs, did not include the bike.
Correct. The tallied weights when I loaded the bike (bags etc) was the 116lbs, but there were a couple things that tally did not include. So that is the 120-140lb estimate range - that does not include the bike.

In case anyone missed it - I did post another thread with the video link in it I mentioned earlier. Link below. It is mostly on the gear break-down, but there is a slideshow towards the end also. Please read the description for the video - it has more tidbits in it as well as a list of timestamps to better assist in navigating as it is a long video and I realize a lot of people will click through. Hopefully the timestamps make clicking through that much easier.
https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/1...trip-pics.html
Old 11-01-20, 08:21 PM
djb

Kc, will look at video more another time, but for some reason I thought you were an older dude. Doesn't make a difference, waa just surprised.
re the gear weight, I gotta hand it to you, that's one heck of a physical accomplishment you did. I wouldn't have been able to do that, now or 30 years ago.
And totally get how you used only the two smaller rings, I've spent ages it seems in the 22t on my bike with easily half the weight, so hat off to you.