Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Screwed rim

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-20, 12:26 AM
btppberk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 23 Posts
Screwed rim

I finally got a pair of new wheels--Campy Zondas--only to put a screw into the rim on my fifth or sixth trip.

Do you think the wheels are safely rideable if I put some rim tape over them?

There are times I hate cycling!

Last edited by btppberk; 12-14-20 at 12:31 AM.
Old 12-14-20, 12:56 AM
mrrabbit 

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
That's looks to my like screw bit travel before final set and drill occurs.

=8-|

Disclaimer:

1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
5. My all time favorite book is:

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
Old 12-14-20, 01:29 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
I went and got my glasses and it's still not in focus....
Likes For Trevtassie:
Old 12-14-20, 06:44 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by btppberk
I finally got a pair of new wheels--Campy Zondas--only to put a screw into the rim on my fifth or sixth trip.

I've had a screw pucture the inside part of the rim (under the tape) and make a bulge on the part between the spokes. I put some electrical tape over the rim tape hole and kept riding it until I sold the bike 5000km later. After that, I'd checked the rim for cracks regularly though.
Likes For Amt0571:
Old 12-14-20, 08:08 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,436 Times in 818 Posts
I have a set of Zonda wheels that was damaged by a sheet metal screw on my second ride on them, not nearly as bad as yours. Mine had a single small hole with some scraping around the hole. It did have a rough edge that would flatten tubes. I just lightly sand papered the area and stuck some electrical tape over it and it has been no problem. I cannot say for sure, but I think this would work for you and you could safely ride it. Maybe try to fill in the holes with some kind of epoxy or other filler. The caveat would be to check the wheel often. There will most likely be more knowledgeable people that will post on this. Otherwise, take in to an LBS you trust, or contact Campagnolo via email, with pictures, to get there opinion. If you bought it from a shop, they may be able to help with this.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 12-14-20, 08:50 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
Hmmm... two people with rim damage from a screw. And both on Campy Zonda's.

So this brings up the question are Campy Zonda's magnets for screws? Or is this something unique to Campy Zonda owners personality and perhaps they throw boxes of screws out in front of them as they ride?

Oh well, take this with a smile. I just found it amusing while drinking my morning coffee.

More seriously, I wouldn't worry about it other than smooth any rough edges and make sure tape or rim strip covers it. Then add it to your list of things to check and watch.
Old 12-14-20, 09:32 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Hmmm... two people with rim damage from a screw. And both on Campy Zonda's.

So this brings up the question are Campy Zonda's magnets for screws? Or is this something unique to Campy Zonda owners personality and perhaps they throw boxes of screws out in front of them as they ride?
Unfortunately this isn't limited to Zondas. Several years ago I had a ring shank roofing nail go through my rear tire, both sides of the tube and through the inner wall and poke out of the rim between spoke holes of a Mavic CXP-33 rim. The nail was in there so firmly that I couldn't do a temporary roadside fix and had to make the "call-of-shame" and have my wife come and pick me up.

Once I got home, I extracted the nail, discarded the tire and tube, smoothed over the holes in the rim, replaced the rim tape and installed a new tire and tube. That wheel stayed in service for 20,000+ more miles.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 12-14-20, 10:53 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts

I did the same thing to an alloy Rolf wheel a couple of years back - drywall screw punched a hole in the rim bed. The tire and tube were beyond salvage, but I covered the hole with a new piece of rim tape and moved on. Coincidentally, I replaced the Rolfs with a pair of Zondas a year later, but that was simply because I wanted something a little blingier than 16-year-old Rolfs, but I would have no hesitation pressing the Rolfs, hole and all, back into service. I think alloy is a lot more forgiving of things like this than, possibly, the CF rim that was the subject of a similar recent thread
Old 12-14-20, 02:09 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 693 Posts
Did you buy them with a Credit Card ?
Some Card Companies offer purchase protection for a short period of time (Mine is 30 days), I don't know if it applies to wheels but for the price of a phone call.....

Best of luck

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 12-14-20, 02:33 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Put new rim tape and ride. I had the same type of thing happen with a roofing nail after Hurricane Ike. Roofing contractors dropped nails from removed shingles on the way to the dump.
Likes For davidad:
Old 12-14-20, 07:44 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
I would reach out to Campy and see what they say. The photos are blurry but it doesn't look like something I would want to ride on personally.

However they might be nice and send you a new rim or new wheel or give a discount towards one. A lot of these companies that make quality products are pretty decent and reaching out to them is never a bad idea.
Old 12-14-20, 07:59 PM
btppberk

Originally Posted by Barry2
Did you buy them with a Credit Card ?
Some Card Companies offer purchase protection for a short period of time (Mine is 30 days), I don't know if it applies to wheels but for the price of a phone call.....

Best of luck

Barry
Great idea! I had forgotten all about that. Will look into it!
Old 12-14-20, 08:03 PM
btppberk

Thanks all, for the thoughts, and sorry for the blurry pic: I'm having a hard time getting the camera to focus. There are three holes, each a bit bigger than a sharpened pencil tip.

The wheels look so solid, it is hard for me to imagine that those holes are that alarming. On the other hand, I don't know anything about aluminum, engineering, or well, anything. I'll see if I can reach Campy (though manufacturers always err on the side of liability--though I probably should to) and will follow up with the credit card. Thanks for the ideas.
Old 12-14-20, 09:26 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts
I had a fairly large screw go through tire, tube, rim strip, and out the other side of a velocity aerohead, like some of the others I just filed down the sharp parts and tossed in a new rim strip. Lasted as long as the brake surface and was tossed with its mate when I had the set rebuilt years later. Check on occasion but rims already have plenty of holes through them, as long as it isn't too bad it can handle another as long as there's no actual crack.
Old 12-15-20, 11:43 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Thanks all, for the thoughts, and sorry for the blurry pic: I'm having a hard time getting the camera to focus. There are three holes, each a bit bigger than a sharpened pencil tip.

The wheels look so solid, it is hard for me to imagine that those holes are that alarming. On the other hand, I don't know anything about aluminum, engineering, or well, anything. I'll see if I can reach Campy (though manufacturers always err on the side of liability--though I probably should to) and will follow up with the credit card. Thanks for the ideas.
Well, you have 25 (or 29, or 33, whatever) other, larger holes in the rim already for the spokes and valve. I would just clean up any rough edges, maybe drill them out round to avoid stress risers and go my merry way.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 12-15-20, 04:23 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Wow. you guys have some bad luck. I've never had a puncture that included a rim.
Likes For Pop N Wood: