Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

First carbon road bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

First carbon road bike

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-21, 06:13 AM
road bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First carbon road bike

Hi, I'm thinking of changing my aluminum road bike to a carbon one.The problem isthat I don’t have a chance to try any of the options I have in my mind because no bike shop has them on site, so I only have one choice and for the price I’m willing to pay, I don’t want to make a mistake.I am looking for an endurance bike, with more relaxed position, with the 105 or Ultegra groupset.My choices are:
  • IZALCO MAX DISC 8.7 or ORCA M20TEAM
Maybe one of you has one of these bikes and can advise or share your experience. I also consider buyng Rondo HVRT CF2 or SCOTT Addict RC 40 2021. Yeah, I'm super confused but it's just because I haven't seen any of them live. I would be grateful if you could give me some advice.
Old 01-15-21, 06:15 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Buy the one that you think looks the coolest.
Old 01-15-21, 06:40 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3664 Post(s)
Liked 5,410 Times in 2,748 Posts
Or you can compare the geometry charts and get the one that best provides the fit you want. If you can't do that you probably should wait until local supply improves.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 01-15-21, 08:10 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
If you know enough about your proportions and preferences, you can look at the various bikes' geometry charts and pretty much figure if you could fit them to you and vice versa.

If you are unsure .... maybe hold off? I understand you want a new bike Now, but a new wrong bike is not what you want.
Old 01-15-21, 09:02 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
If you know what size you need, just pick the one that you think looks best. Really, the differences between most of these bikes is pretty minimal. None of your options is bad.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 01-16-21, 12:49 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Between those two bikes, the Focus is not endurance fit. Just look at head tube length and compare that with similar to the Orbea. It doesn't mean it is a bad bike, it just doesn't fit your criteria. The saddle to bar drop is quite large. Some like to use stack and reach and compare these to the two bikes (I am not one of them but that is an argument for another day).

The Focus comes with 25 mm tires and they don't say how big of a tire you can fit in there. The Orbea comes with 28's so at least you have some leeway.

Also there is the difference between the groupsets. The Orbea having Ultegra and the Focus with 105. To me it's a no-brainer but it would depend on price also. Good luck on your decision.

The only other thing I would add is pick a bike that is somewhat sell-able if you decide you dislike it for any reason. Focus and Orbea are good in this area, just be aware of other bikes that don't have that panache.
Old 01-16-21, 01:25 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
If you are unsure .... maybe hold off? I understand you want a new bike Now, but a new wrong bike is not what you want.
^This
Old 01-16-21, 03:12 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Paralane has a huge geometry difference from Izalco Max. I would be looking in that direction if you want endurance geometry.
Old 01-17-21, 01:30 AM
Noahma

Bikes: 2022 Orbea Orca M20Team, 2017 Orbea Avant M40, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
your most likely going to have to wait on the Orbea unless you can find a shop with one in stock. They are sold out of just about every model of the Orca. I went to go order an M20Team just a month ago using the MyO program, and my dealer could not get ahold of one.

that being said, I have a soft spot for Orbea, I currently have an Avant and man it is a beautiful thing to ride. I really cant wait to get ahold of an Orca, but well that is out of my hand, Guess i will be waiting for the 2022's
Likes For Noahma:
Old 01-18-21, 01:03 AM
mcmoose

Bikes: Trek Silque S, Bianchi Aria e-Road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
If you really want to buy now and you like the fit of your current aluminum bike, you could look for a carbon bike with a geometry that matched your current ride. Good luck!