Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

POLL for Americans...What kind of units do you use?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: Imperial or Metric
Imperial
59.42%
Metric
26.09%
Units...I don't need no stinkin' units
14.49%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

POLL for Americans...What kind of units do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-21, 03:24 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,966 Times in 1,915 Posts
I use what the manufacture instructs to use. If none are available, I use my hot air to determine what is best practice. Metric is more likely used in general.
Old 02-18-21, 03:35 PM
onsay99

Bikes: 3 road steelys, 3 alu, 1 mtb, 1cx

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Mostly MKS, but I am comfortable with both.
Old 02-18-21, 05:04 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I use whatever is convenient. Cycling related: Miles, Fahrenheit, metric dimensions on modern bikes, imperial on old bikes, some Whitworth threads too. Work related: Mostly metric, but some assemblies still have imperial fasteners. Many building materials have their own standards: Plywood comes in 4 x 8 foot sheets, but the thicknesses are not precisely in inches.

Living with two unit systems is an occasional minor inconvenience, but really doesn't matter any more. Modern design and production tools switch units effortlessly. Consumer products are mostly metric. The typical American household has a dwindling need for imperial tools.
Old 02-18-21, 06:11 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,923 Times in 2,552 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Until you're doing infrastructure construction where we use tenths & hundredths of feet not inches. That asphalt lift isn't 3 inches it's .25 Ft
Then we get into water where we measure in things like CCF (hundred cubic ft),, acre feet, or Mgd (million gallons/day) depending on what you're doing
Ship design pre computer - engineering scales in decimal feet. (I think there have been small wars waged to get those things.) With those scales you could go directly from the drawing to the math, no need to deal with inches and feet. Every design office, everyone knew who had that scale and it got borrowed a lot but you had to sign over your first born to get it.
Old 02-18-21, 06:28 PM
vane171

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
We are lucky not having the old English currency and I think also their measuring system, that was something really devious. We are lucky that measuring calipers nowadays can display imperial values in fractional notation as well as decimal and convert btw the metric and imperial on the fly. With my carpenter friend, when we have done something together, I got used to call 1/16" parts the 'little guys' I would say for example, that it measures one and a half inch plus two little guys, which would be one and five eighth of an inch
Old 02-18-21, 06:32 PM
Swampthing 
Old and rusty

Bikes: 1983 Lotus, 1989 Haro Escape, Quax muni, KHS?, Nishiki Olympic 12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 64 Posts
This is a sore spot with me.
I normally use metric, but sometimes have to use feet and tenths of feet, and at other times feet and inches.
I often report the same issues in metric and then in other odd units like switching from cubic meters per second, to gallons per second, to a number of acre feet delivered.
it’s enough to give one a headache.
Old 02-18-21, 06:34 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by vane171
We are lucky not having the old English currency and I think also their measuring system, that was something really devious. We are lucky that measuring calipers nowadays can display imperial values in fractional notation as well as decimal and convert btw the metric and imperial on the fly. With my carpenter friend, when we have done something together, I got used to call 1/16" parts the 'little guys' I would say for example, that it measures one and a half inch plus two little guys, which would be one and five eighth of an inch
is there a difference when referencing midgets & dwarfs?
Does 4 midgets equate to 1 little guy? 7 dwarfs sum to 0.0625?
Old 02-18-21, 06:50 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
my weight is down to 5 stone
Old 02-18-21, 07:01 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
my weight is down to 5 stone
Kidney?
Old 02-18-21, 07:02 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2671 Post(s)
Liked 1,150 Times in 872 Posts
Ronald Reagan did away with the US Metric Board as part of his American agenda ... this killed the metric conversion movement
Old 02-18-21, 07:39 PM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
"Both" isn't in the poll. My field uses both and I'm comfy with either.
Old 02-18-21, 07:50 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,214 Times in 2,362 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
When I went to tour Andalucia for two months I was glad I could reprogram my CatEye to metric.

The biggest pain was converting currency on the fly. One dollar equaled about 167 pesetas. Try doing that math in your head when looking at something like a restaurant menu.
Just use “about” conversion. Rather than think of prices in terms of 167 pesetas to a dollar, think of them as 200 pesetas to a dollar. You’ll over estimate but in the end it’ll be close enough.

I’m very well versed in the metric system from my career but I don’t really use it much in my actual life. I don’t do the conversions but just estimate. For example, Fahrenheit to Celsius is mostly close enough if you just double Celsius to Fahrenheit, especially for higher temperatures. Not completely exact but close enough. For “normal” temperatures, remembering a few landmarks will help in conversions. The freezing point is water is 0°C which is easy. 20°C is 70°F which is pleasant and body temperature is 37°C so that’s hot.

I had to serve as a pro forma measurement interpreter when my wife and I did a Bike and Barge trip in Belgium. We were given a cue sheet and told to follow it for the route. The cue sheet would say something like “0.1: Turn right”. All us ‘Mericans were thinking a tenth of a mile (almost 600 feet or about 2 blocks). I had to constantly remind the other riders that Belgium uses metric distances so the “0.1” meant about 100 yards so just one city block.

One morning one of the Belgian guides was giving us a weather update and one of the ‘Mericans asked him what that temperature was in “real” units. He had no clue. I gave everyone a quick lesson in the temperatures above and everyone...’Mericans and Belgians...got it.

I do need a calculator to get exact conversions but for the most part we estimate most everything anyway.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-18-21, 08:38 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by vane171
I have news for you, your pipes are metric in size, just called by imperial names. For example, the most common half inch copper pipe diameter is not 25.4/2 mm which is some 12.7 mm but 15 mm, same as in Europe. There are many instances where the actual sizes are round numbers in metric system but for convenience still called by the imperial system names.

I grew up in metric but moved to Canada long time ago and I can see the advantages of both system and also why the imperial is still with us (it is more natural in many ways). Canada is more metric minded but it is mixed anyway. Even in metric Europe (of course not fully counting British), for example the clock 12/24 hour system is effectively imperial, based on 12 base. If clock divisions were to be decimal, you'd have decimal points all over the clock displays which would be ridiculous.

In Canada, we use degrees Celsius but in the place I work, everything is in Fahrenheit degrees. It actually happened to me that I heard temperature forecast on radio the other day and was wondering why they use Celsius scale, I was fully expecting it to be in Fahrenheit degrees. That's how deep rooted the imperial system is among native, read long time settled folk here, in other words, true blue Canadians.

And not only them, all tradesmen that I know, that immigrated from Europe long ago or even more recently, use the mixed system. You very simply can't get around it and you don't want to because they, like everybody else, also see the advantages of the imperial system.
Actually...even 'imperial' units are actually metric.

The USA signed the International Yard and Pound treaty, along with Canada and Russia and the UK etc, way back in the late 1950s. This defined as a matter of international standards, and legally, that all the 'imperial' units were defined via metric measurements. All those 'imperial' measurements are actually defined in metric and then obfuscated, because--well--'murica'.

No matter what--the USA actually uses metric units--we just refuse to come out of the closet.

Last edited by Marcus_Ti; 02-18-21 at 08:41 PM.
Old 02-18-21, 08:40 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Atomic units.

That, and \alpha = 1/137

Not everything gets to be 1.
Old 02-18-21, 09:50 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
Atomic units.

That, and \alpha = 1/137

Not everything gets to be 1.
I've forgotten all of them: e = c = hbar = g = i = 2 = pi = 0 = 1, or something like that.

My professor refused to use atomic units. He said it just led to formulas that couldn't be used for calculating anything, plus invited lots of dimensional errors.

In my view, metric failed in the US because of the way it was introduced. The message was, "metric is easy, it's just a bunch of math." Well, most people freeze up when they see math. I still remember a machinist who told me: "I hate the metric system because of all the math."
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 02-19-21, 12:17 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Work-wise, I always use metric units. Much more rational. Much easier math. Everything is base 10.

For things like observing the weather, purchasing gas, sizing clothing, etc, I use the crazy system that everyone does in the US. But I almost never have to do conversions (and if I do, I just use some google interface).

British pints are 20 oz rather than 16 oz. My wife ( who is British) thinks that this is a con that bartenders invented to cheat you out of 20% of your beer.
Old 02-19-21, 12:46 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
Blog post by an official site of the United States government.

On a related note: I used to run a NIST affiliated calibration lab in a former life. So I went to school for this.

More detail from the government.

Short story: All Imperial units are defined in metric. Not the other way around. The US is Metric in official capacities, Imperial by convention for the proletariat. Literally, it's because it just plain costs too much to change all the road signs & there's no compelling reason to do so.

Last edited by base2; 02-19-21 at 01:15 AM.
Likes For base2:
Old 02-19-21, 01:48 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
My favorite are bootleg metric units like calories (both sizes) and kgf. We have some really awful units for heat like BTU’s and kilowatt-hours and therms.

Considering the power output on a bike maybe we should be using dynes and ergs

In my job a few of the properties we use have an exponential relation (due to activation energy of a chemical reaction) and the units on that equation are... put back on after you get the result

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 02-19-21 at 01:57 AM.
Old 02-19-21, 04:50 AM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 140 Posts
No choice for both.
Old 02-19-21, 08:06 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
being BikeForums i automatically assumed the question would be understood to be directed to bikes.

being BikeForume i guess not.
Old 02-19-21, 08:42 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
being BikeForums i automatically assumed the question would be understood to be directed to bikes.

being BikeForume i guess not.
I think it is because you asked, that we assumed it was a question about more than just bikes.

If your bike is metric, you're pretty much going to be using metric tools on it. I suppose you can search the toolbox for the closest SAE sockets and Allen bits which might fit, most of the time, but why? Proper metric tools which fit correctly are available everywhere and won't booger up the fasteners on your bike.

To put it another way, your car probably needs a 19mm socket to remove the lugnuts. A 3/4-inch socket will fit.... But it might damage the lugnuts. Why risk it?
Old 02-19-21, 10:28 AM
guachi

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
For cycling I use metric because the numbers are larger.
Old 02-19-21, 10:43 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
My favorite are bootleg metric units like calories (both sizes) and kgf. We have some really awful units for heat like BTU’s and kilowatt-hours and therms.

In my job a few of the properties we use have an exponential relation (due to activation energy of a chemical reaction) and the units on that equation are... put back on after you get the result
The argument of an exponent or log has to be unit-less. So an equilibrium constant technically has no units. Students just love hearing about that.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 02-19-21, 10:44 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty

You're leaving out the most absurd unit of them all still in use in the USA air-conditioner 'tons'
Old 02-19-21, 11:09 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4347 Post(s)
Liked 3,984 Times in 2,661 Posts
I use Smoots, Tatums, Sagans and MegaFonzies. I also find Potrzebies and Banana Equivalent Doses to be acceptable as well. The silly Murican and EuroDisney measurements aren't really worth using, I mean they are so outdated.
Likes For veganbikes:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.