Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Old Rockhoppers

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old Rockhoppers

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-19, 09:10 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by marius.suiram
1993 Expert.
all original except the set of wheels.
Sweet! It looks to have the same subtle purple fade as my '92 Sport.
Old 12-30-19, 11:31 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
That's one huge Rocky!
Old 02-01-20, 07:07 PM
bargo68 
Dedicated Detritus Dodger

Bikes: Some mighty fine ones at that!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 247 Posts
First Rockhopper of the 20's! In this thread, at least. Picked up this dead -stock 97 Rockhopper at the Goodwill.

Likes For bargo68:
Old 02-04-20, 01:28 PM
LloydL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought my 87 Rockhopper about 3 years ago for £25 through a local sales website. It was listed as 'rough', but cleaned up ok.

I added the carrier, bags and mudguards and changed to a shorter stem, but the rest is as bought. I think that the handlebars and twist shifters are non original.

I ride about 60 miles a week with my local group and really enjoy riding this bike.

As I am new here I can not yet post photos, but will do so when I can.

Regards, Lloyd
Old 02-04-20, 04:28 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Pic assist:

"Cleaned up ok" is an understatement; that's a very sharp example. And a sweet deal. I picked up its doppelganger, same color and I believe the same year, and paid almost as much ($US25.00), but that's with no wheelset, no derailleurs. It did have the nice original thumbie shifters, however. Indeed, your grip shifters must be a a replacement. Rear mech appears to be a 21st-Century replacement as well.

BTW, Jimmy from Quadrophenia called; he wants his mirror back.
Likes For madpogue:
Old 02-04-20, 05:15 PM
LloydL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your help with the pics madpogue.

I know that several parts are not original, but it works well for me, so I am happy with it.

As for the mirror, we have narrow roads with lots of traffic here and, with the group, I ride at the back, so it is handy to know what's back there! It is an old moped mirror like Jimmy's though!

All the best, Lloyd.
Old 02-04-20, 05:35 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts
Cut the derailleur cable down. You dont want it to get tangled in your pulleys. Nice bike.
Old 02-04-20, 05:40 PM
LloydL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks curbtender, I have done that. These photos were taken soon after I got it and there were a few details left to do back then.

Regards, Lloyd.
Old 02-04-20, 08:17 PM
thedriveside

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 8 Posts
Super ride! Great to see it loaded up. How's that front rack, looks like you've beefed it up by replacing the riveted brackets that bolt into the bosses?

I ordered one, but the hardware that affixes to fork crown is...tin foil. How's it holding up for you? Loaded?

Originally Posted by AlmostGreenGuy
Yep. The Wald 137 basket is zip tied to a Sunlite Goldtec front rack via the canti bosses and mounting hole in the fork crown.

Old 02-04-20, 08:55 PM
madpogue 

Originally Posted by LloydL
As for the mirror, we have narrow roads with lots of traffic here and, with the group, I ride at the back, so it is handy to know what's back there! It is an old moped mirror like Jimmy's though!
Moped??!? Jimmy rode a GS _scooter_, or as he might say, "skoo-ah". Call it a "moped" and he and his mod friends'll rough you up.

I love mirrors, I just happen to like the Mountain Mirrycle, pretty strong, very stiff/stable, and the right size field of view. I even have a little swingy Cateye bar-end mirror to put on one of my roadies when I take one out. We do have wider roads, but people drive fast here, so for me a mirror is Indispensable.

How're you liking that rear u-brake? I read of people ragging on it at times, but I like it. After researching it some here on BF, I shortened the straddle cable a bit, to change the angle of pull, and it's very capable.

Last edited by madpogue; 02-04-20 at 09:02 PM.
Old 02-04-20, 09:18 PM
AlmostGreenGuy
Intrepid Bicycle Commuter

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, Austro Daimler 'Ultima', 2012 Salsa Vaya, 2009 Trek 4300, Fyxation Eastside, State Matte Black 6, '97 Trek 930 SHX, '93 Specialized Rockhopper, 1990 Trek 950

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by thedriveside
Super ride! Great to see it loaded up. How's that front rack, looks like you've beefed it up by replacing the riveted brackets that bolt into the bosses?

I ordered one, but the hardware that affixes to fork crown is...tin foil. How's it holding up for you? Loaded?
I’m totally lost. Are we both talking about the Sunlite GoldTec front rack? I don’t remember anything riveted on the canti mount brackets. They were standard right angle brackets with bolts, and the rack arms were welded to the rest of the rack.

Also, the bracket that bolted to the crown was really, really solid. I actually had to mount the bracket in a vice, and grip it with a large set of pliers, in order to bend it into the shape I needed to mount it perfectly. It was way more solid than I expected.

Here’s a pic of the canti mount:

Overall, I’m more than impressed with the Sunlite GoldTec. I’ve hauled crazy loads in it, and proceeded to zoom down single and double track paths while fully loaded.

Here’s a loaded pic from my last autumn bikepacking trip:

Likes For AlmostGreenGuy:
Old 02-04-20, 09:23 PM
AlmostGreenGuy

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, Austro Daimler 'Ultima', 2012 Salsa Vaya, 2009 Trek 4300, Fyxation Eastside, State Matte Black 6, '97 Trek 930 SHX, '93 Specialized Rockhopper, 1990 Trek 950

Here’s the latest iteration of my Rockhopper. I’m trying some new tires for 2020 bikepacking. I really love the look of the Schwalbe Table Top tan walls, and boy are they light. Like a feather, and oh so supple.

Old 02-05-20, 02:03 AM
LloydL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haha Madpogue, I know Jimmy would not appreciate me calling his scooter a moped, entirely the wrong image! Having said that, my NSU Quickly moped got me around just fine when I was 16 back then.

The low mounted U brake works well and gives no problems, even when covered in mud.

Regards, Lloyd.
Old 02-05-20, 10:30 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 249 Posts
Here’s the latest iteration of my Rockhopper. I’m trying some new tires for 2020 bikepacking. I really love the look of the Schwalbe Table Top tan walls, and boy are they light. Like a feather, and oh so supple.
- how fat of a tyre are you getting through that fender-less frame? I think I saw someone else getting a 2.3 inch with no issues.
I'm contemplating a this route: https://bikepacking.com/routes/north-country-traverse/
- maybe in the fall. And I'm thinking I'll pull my fenders off and go from a 2.0 inch tire to maybe 2.5 if it fits.

Old 02-05-20, 11:06 AM
AlmostGreenGuy

Originally Posted by mrv
- how fat of a tyre are you getting through that fender-less frame? I think I saw someone else getting a 2.3 inch with no issues.
I'm contemplating a this route: https://bikepacking.com/routes/north-country-traverse/
- maybe in the fall. And I'm thinking I'll pull my fenders off and go from a 2.0 inch tire to maybe 2.5 if it fits.
My old Kenda K-rads were 2.3", and had plenty of room to spare. My guess is that I could fit 2.5" tires, as long as the sides aren't highly lugged, but it would be a tight fit. If you want clearance for mud and tire lugs, I'd probably consider 2.3 to be a maximum.

Your route looks awesome. I'm envious. That's exactly my style of riding. I remember reading that route article when it was first published, and I was about ready to take a long trip to Michigan that day.

Are those 26X2.0 Surfas Drifters that you're running?
Old 02-05-20, 07:33 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 249 Posts
Are those 26X2.0 Surfas Drifters that you're running?
- Yes, those are them.
As far as never getting flats - excellent. Almost a year riding them and no flats (3500 miles? not sure, I have several bikes and got almost 6000 miles in for 2019) .
That includes the GAP - C&P Trails / suburban commuting / lots of coffee shop dirt road rides.
On pavement you can hear them, and if you're a sensitive rider, you might find the on-pavement vibration annoying. I'm OK with it. And they sound weird on wet surfaces, kind of a squishy sounding sizzle. Like lots of tiny suction cups or something.
Price was really good, maybe $20~$25 a piece from my LBS.
I'd love to go up market with some of those nice supple kind of tires. Maybe one day.
Old 02-06-20, 08:11 AM
AlmostGreenGuy

Originally Posted by mrv
- Yes, those are them.
As far as never getting flats - excellent. Almost a year riding them and no flats (3500 miles? not sure, I have several bikes and got almost 6000 miles in for 2019) .
That includes the GAP - C&P Trails / suburban commuting / lots of coffee shop dirt road rides.
On pavement you can hear them, and if you're a sensitive rider, you might find the on-pavement vibration annoying. I'm OK with it. And they sound weird on wet surfaces, kind of a squishy sounding sizzle. Like lots of tiny suction cups or something.
Price was really good, maybe $20~$25 a piece from my LBS.
I'd love to go up market with some of those nice supple kind of tires. Maybe one day.
I still have a set or two of Drifters that I used to use. Maybe not the softest tires I ever used, and a bit heavy, but I NEVER got a single flat on them. Great grip too. I thought they were the pretty close to the perfect short range commuter tire.
Old 02-06-20, 09:12 AM
MrK.

Bikes: 2011 Handsome/ Twin Six Speedy Devil, 2006 Soma Groove, 1991 Haro Impulse Comp, 1987 KHS Montana Pro, 1986 Ross Mount Hood, 1986 Mongoose ATB, 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker I, 1973 World Voyageur, 1941 Schwinn DX "Klunker"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 45 Posts

This picture just makes me want to hop on that bike and go.

Last edited by MrK.; 02-06-20 at 09:13 AM. Reason: spelling fail
Likes For MrK.:
Old 02-06-20, 11:09 AM
AlmostGreenGuy

Originally Posted by MrK.
This picture just makes me want to hop on that bike and go.
Thanks. She is a sexy beast. The Rockhopper may not be as racy and light as a comparable Stumpjumper, but the frame and fork are absolutely perfect for non-race activities. Bikepacking, grocery getting, trail riding with family, commuting, and general load hauling duties are the meat and potatoes of this bike. It's still a lot lighter than a Hardrock, but just as capable. That perfect middle ground.

Old 02-06-20, 11:51 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
My First Rockhopper

I don't think I've ever posted this bike to this thread. I looked back and didn't find it. Also, I was using Pee-Bucket to host my photos back then, and we all know about that crap they pulled.

Anyway, here is my first Rockhopper, after extensive mods to turn her into a stylish grocery getter:

I was going for a more Organic vibe, with the wicker baskets, leather saddle, and wood fenders. Nothing plastic, if it could be avoided.

The 1x10 Deore conversion was a challenge, but once properly installed, it worked perfectly. This seems to be the only photo of this bike that has survived. I have one somewhere with the bike loaded up from the Farmer's Market, but I can't find it right now.

Anyway, the point being, these are VERY versatile steeds. Sometimes I regret trading it away, but I can always build up another one. They're not exactly rare.

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
Likes For DQRider:
Old 02-06-20, 12:19 PM
madpogue 

Originally Posted by DQRider
They're not exactly rare.
They're not? They must be migrating north from here, then. You see them in service somewhat frequently here, but they're getting few and far between on CL, and thusly at higher and higher ask prices.
Old 02-06-20, 12:29 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Originally Posted by madpogue
They're not? They must be migrating north from here, then. You see them in service somewhat frequently here, but they're getting few and far between on CL, and thusly at higher and higher ask prices.
Well, to test your theory, I just pulled up CL for our area, and found 3 for sale within 20 miles of my house. Low ask is $60, high is $150. I bought my last Rockhopper Comp for $25. There are 2 in WI that I could find on a cursory search, and remember, this is the SLOW season, when most available bikes are tucked snugly in the basement, or hanging in the garage. You can get `em if you want `em.

Old 02-06-20, 12:41 PM
madpogue 

Originally Posted by DQRider
Well, to test your theory, I just pulled up CL for our area, and found 3 for sale within 20 miles of my house. Low ask is $60, high is $150. I bought my last Rockhopper Comp for $25. There are 2 in WI that I could find on a cursory search, and remember, this is the SLOW season, when most available bikes are tucked snugly in the basement, or hanging in the garage. You can get `em if you want `em..
There's exactly ONE here in the WI's second largest county. More than $100, and a suspension fork that wouldn't last a saltine winter. Nearby area search (which includes Milwaukee, Rockfish, etc.) shows none.

'Course, 'round here, you're more likely to see old Trek 8xx's.
Old 02-06-20, 12:46 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Originally Posted by madpogue
There's exactly ONE here in the WI's second largest county. More than $100, and a suspension fork that wouldn't last a saltine winter. Nearby area search (which includes Milwaukee, Rockfish, etc.) shows none.

'Course, 'round here, you're more likely to see old Trek 8xx's.
You have to do the search BOTH ways: Rockhopper, and Rock Hopper. Then the others show up.

Old 02-06-20, 12:47 PM
madpogue 

Search terms: (rock|rockhopper|hardrock|stump|jumper|stumpjumper|hopper)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.