Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Carbon and Alloy Mixed Frames

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-24, 11:24 PM
ArgoMan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 32 Posts

Hey all. I'm seeking opinions regarding frames that use a mix of carbon and alloy parts. I recently built up a Fuji Roubaix frame for my son. It's a mix of aluminum and carbon seat stays. I recently saw a video with an English carbon frame expert who advised that it's a bad idea to attach carbon components to metal components in a frame. The reason is that the metal will expand or contract with temperatures, but the carbon will not. This, he argued, stresses the areas where the carbon and the metal are joined, and that they eventually will separate at those areas. I see the carbon/metal combination with a lot of forks. I run such a fork on a bike, where the steerer tube is aluminum, but the lowers are full carbon. I imagine lots of us have forks of such construction. This worried me, as I live in the desert where we get extremely high temperatures. I was also thinking about buying a new frame made of high-end steel, but with carbon seat and chain stays. Now I'm wondering if that's such a good idea. I'm also worried about my son's bike falling apart! Does anyone have any perspective on this issue? Thanks!
Old 02-25-24, 07:42 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 414 Posts
They add nothing, and introduce potential issues, so while not inherently bad, no real reason for them, but like anything else there have been good and ones that don't identify as good examples....
Old 02-25-24, 11:23 AM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 317 Posts
I havea K2 with mix carbon/aluminum front fork and carbon seat stays. K2 stopped with hikes more than a decade ago but I have had no such issues with mine. I don't put a crap ton of miles on it but it's at least 10 years old, maybe 20. And I also live in the desert. No signs of delamination on mine. I'm sure it can happen, just like anything else, but I suspect we're talking about many, many years and many, many miles.
Old 02-25-24, 01:06 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 6382 Post(s)
Liked 4,980 Times in 3,428 Posts
It depends on the design. So no one right answer. There was a bike back in the early days of CF that was made from carbon fiber tubes fastened together in metal lugs where the tubes transitioned from top tube to head tube and seat tube to top tube. And etc. It was a bad idea. Maybe not so much for the lugging. But just poor understanding of the technology used in it's day.

Carbon fiber fork blades have been common in many aluminum and steel bikes for a while now. And they don't seem to have any issues.
Old 02-25-24, 01:14 PM
Kontact

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 4628 Post(s)
Liked 1,776 Times in 1,162 Posts
Originally Posted by ArgoMan
Hey all. I'm seeking opinions regarding frames that use a mix of carbon and alloy parts. I recently built up a Fuji Roubaix frame for my son. It's a mix of aluminum and carbon seat stays. I recently saw a video with an English carbon frame expert who advised that it's a bad idea to attach carbon components to metal components in a frame. The reason is that the metal will expand or contract with temperatures, but the carbon will not. This, he argued, stresses the areas where the carbon and the metal are joined, and that they eventually will separate at those areas. I see the carbon/metal combination with a lot of forks. I run such a fork on a bike, where the steerer tube is aluminum, but the lowers are full carbon. I imagine lots of us have forks of such construction. This worried me, as I live in the desert where we get extremely high temperatures. I was also thinking about buying a new frame made of high-end steel, but with carbon seat and chain stays. Now I'm wondering if that's such a good idea. I'm also worried about my son's bike falling apart! Does anyone have any perspective on this issue? Thanks!
My perspective is that the "english carbon frame expert" is not an expert. This type of manufacturing goes back to the '70s for bikes and earlier for aircraft. It isn't a problem.

He might have mistaken galvanic failures for this, but that is caused by improperly designed frames that don't have any fiberglass between the aluminum and carbon. Which good manufacturers have been doing since the beginning.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 02-25-24, 03:05 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 1,277 Times in 812 Posts
I have a Jamis Nova Pro frameset - I'm not sure how old, I got it used about 13 years ago and it was a couple of years old at that point. Through 3 or 4 different builds it's still going strong.

Full carbon fork, aluminum triangle and chain stays, carbon seat stays. It's always been a comfortable bike, but I think that has mostly to do with running 38mm tires and having a good fit on it.

I look at the stay-frame joints every once in a while and haven't seen any evidence of failure.

Last edited by Camilo; 02-25-24 at 05:55 PM.
Old 02-25-24, 06:01 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3605 Post(s)
Liked 3,791 Times in 1,888 Posts
Originally Posted by ArgoMan
Hey all. I'm seeking opinions regarding frames that use a mix of carbon and alloy parts.
Calfee Design, one of the pioneers of carbon frame building, has an "interesting" white paper that covers the problems when joining carbon to metal:

Calfee Design: Technical Paper-Materials

See section 4: Interfacing Carbon with Metal Parts

Old 02-25-24, 07:24 PM
Kontact

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 4628 Post(s)
Liked 1,776 Times in 1,162 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Calfee Design, one of the pioneers of carbon frame building, has an "interesting" white paper that covers the problems when joining carbon to metal:

Calfee Design: Technical Paper-Materials

See section 4: Interfacing Carbon with Metal Parts
It's a little self serving, since he doesn't even mention fiberglass cloth which is commonly used on this kind of interface. It's more a statement of his preferences.
Old 02-26-24, 02:13 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 491 Times in 338 Posts
From a manufacturing perspective joining carbon to alloy can be less sound than doing a full carbon frame but in practice I'm not sure if the end consumer will experience shorter longevity with the former. In theory yes the interface between alloy and carbon can be more likely to fail than full carbon but that's not saying they all will fail. Reputable frames should pass quality standards regardless.