Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

CHAIN UPGRADE, a waste?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

CHAIN UPGRADE, a waste?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-24, 03:26 PM
ArgoMan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 22 Posts
CHAIN UPGRADE, a waste?

Hi all. I'm slapping a 1x on my bike and got to wondering, are there any real advantages to "upgrading" my chain? Maybe a KMC chain? I currently use the Shimano chain that came with the groupset I purchased. So, the chain in question came with a Sora FC3550, which is a bit older. Chain is in really good shape, not many miles logged on it. I'm not looking to "go faster" or anything, but if an upgraded chain can give me a noticeably smoother ride, I'd be interested. Any advice here? Thanks!
Old 01-27-24, 03:55 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
If your current chain is stretched, yes, it's worth replacing.

You can use a Park CC-2 chain checker, or just measure 12 inches across 12 links, middle to middle rivet.

If your chain is 1/16" more than 12" across 12 links, time to replace.

If your chain is 1/8" more than 12" across 12 links, you've waited too long.

Chains that aren't stretched shift better, are generally quieter, and prolong the life of your drivetrain.

If you do need to replace, using any chain with a master link system (KMC, SRAM) makes for easy removal and maintenance. Even if the original chain didn't use a master link.
Old 01-27-24, 04:43 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Any advantage would seem to be lost if the old chain still had usable life left.

But depending on what new 1x crankset you put on it, you might need a new chain regardless.

I find that well used chains pedal smoother, but at some point the shifting suffers.

Last edited by Iride01; 01-28-24 at 10:56 AM. Reason: at not as
Old 01-27-24, 05:07 PM
ArgoMan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 22 Posts
Thanks. The chain has less than 500 miles on it. My concern is about whether or not I'd get an overall better ride if I "upgrade" to a "better" chain. I ride short distances of about 9-10 miles, 3-4 times a week, but at a fast pace with regular explosive pedaling up gradients. This hard pedaling comprises about 25% of my riding time. Thanks again!
Old 01-27-24, 05:20 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10238 Post(s)
Liked 5,185 Times in 2,226 Posts
Originally Posted by ArgoMan
Thanks. The chain has less than 500 miles on it. My concern is about whether or not I'd get an overall better ride if I "upgrade" to a "better" chain. I ride short distances of about 9-10 miles, 3-4 times a week, but at a fast pace with regular explosive pedaling up gradients. This hard pedaling comprises about 25% of my riding time. Thanks again!

No. You won’t. More expensive chains are typically lighter, which in your case would not help your ride.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 01-27-24, 06:22 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
Yep, use your chain up. When it is done you will be fine with the least expensive Shimano, KMC or SRAM.
Old 01-28-24, 10:38 AM
DCwheeler
Taking it easy!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts
I'm likely to swop in a Gold KMC SL chain purely for the aesthetic - if it looks fast I'll feel faster at least.
Old 01-29-24, 05:53 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
I don't believe you would notice an appreciable difference. A top-tier chain is obviously better in terms of performance, but the gains are marginal and you sacrifice - too much - lifespan. That's one of the reason why I buy Ultegra chains instead of DA.
Likes For eduskator:
Old 01-29-24, 07:45 AM
coupster

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
You won't gain anything but bragging rights if you upgrade the model of your chain as well as losing some thickness in your wallet. However depending on your setup, going to a narrow-wide chain may be warranted by the 1x change.. When I built up a formerly 2x bike to a 1x, I was regularly dropping the chain on big bumps, i.e. RR tracks. A switch to a narrow-wide solved the problem. Its also quieter and feels smoother. YMMV.
Old 01-29-24, 12:55 PM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by coupster
You won't gain anything but bragging rights if you upgrade the model of your chain as well as losing some thickness in your wallet. However depending on your setup, going to a narrow-wide chain may be warranted by the 1x change.. When I built up a formerly 2x bike to a 1x, I was regularly dropping the chain on big bumps, i.e. RR tracks. A switch to a narrow-wide solved the problem. Its also quieter and feels smoother. YMMV.
Do you mean chainring because surely all chains are narrow-wide?
Old 01-29-24, 03:38 PM
coupster

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo
Do you mean chainring because surely all chains are narrow-wide?
Oops elderly brain fart. Sorry. You are correct.
Likes For coupster:
Old 01-29-24, 06:18 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
The answer is no. Except for very, very, very marginal gains, virtually imperceptible, spending more money on a "higher end" chain is not an upgrade.
Likes For Camilo: