Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Two type of cyclist I just dont understand.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Two type of cyclist I just dont understand.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-24, 07:58 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
You have to understand that there is a small group on this forum hates the type of bikes that an 85 year old cyclist rides. Their form of elder abuse. Some how I am considered a threat to their group think.

OTOH I hold the trump card here. One day they too will get old, if they are lucky, and im quite sure their attitude will change.
IMHO, they don't care what you ride, just that you seem to hold that it is a superior form of cycling and don't read the cues when your opinions are not well received. They are not abusing you due to your age, they simply attack your narrow viewpoint instead of scrolling by which comes with posting opinions online especially when the person holding the opinion feels that the opinions are facts. And if and when the day comes that they will explore riding something other than their current ride of choice, you will be worm food and hold nothing.

I'm really not trying to put you down, just pointing out why you don't get the support you look for.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 03-17-24, 08:13 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
You have to understand that there is a small group on this forum hates the type of bikes that an 85 year old cyclist rides. Their form of elder abuse. Some how I am considered a threat to their group think.

OTOH I hold the trump card here. One day they too will get old, if they are lucky, and im quite sure their attitude will change.
It has nothing to do with the bike you ride. You had/have a history of every single post touting the superiority of a recumbent for all uses in all situations as the superior vehicle for all persons. You weren't helpful. You were either smug, righteous, or indignant. It got a little old and people tired of it. Like it or not, you crafted your own reputation and people treat you accordingly.

Instead of proclaiming there are (only) 2 types of cyclists you don't understand, why don't you ask why the cyclist with all the bags has all the bags &/or what is in those bags? Where is he going with all those bags? Likewise with the no-bag cyclist. You might be enlightened with gems such as in frame storage. The former goes to suggest your sense if superiority over others; The latter to your sense of humility.

Which type of person would you want to associate with?
Likes For base2:
Old 03-17-24, 08:15 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
IMHO, they don't care what you ride, just that you seem to hold that it is a superior form of cycling and don't read the cues when your opinions are not well received. They are not abusing you due to your age, they simply attack your narrow viewpoint instead of scrolling by which comes with posting opinions online especially when the person holding the opinion feels that the opinions are facts. And if and when the day comes that they will explore riding something other than their current ride of choice, you will be worm food and hold nothing.

I'm really not trying to put you down, just pointing out why you don't get the support you look for.
My only point in this dust up is how a small group thinks I am a threat to their way of cycling. Did I post something that is too close to the actual truth they dont like?

Bottom line here is--------------if they dont like what I post, just put me on ignore, and have a good nights sleep.
Old 03-17-24, 08:16 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
No way to know what a given person's purpose is on any given ride, of course.

Over the years, I've cycled for various reasons. Mostly, to get from A to B. On many routes, it's been mildly likely I'd get a flat. On other routes, they tend to be squeaky-clean and the incidence of flats has been rare. Some days, I'll need to bring other stuff along, whereas some rides have been for the sheer joy of being out there unencumbered to the 'extraneous' weight of "stuff." So, you never know.

Myself, though, I've never been a so-called performance rider, as such. It's been for basic transportation and simple enjoyment. I'm good, if I need to take along a few things, and I'm okay if I don't. Depends somewhat on conditions (ie, wind, rain), and depends on whether I'm bringing something along (ie, fins/towel for a jaunt to the beach). I've always figured that whatever people's purposes for their own rides, that or any other day, are best determined by them ... and that they'll likely load-up accordingly.

What is it folks are saying quite often, these days? "You do you." For the most part, others are taking that approach when considering my own purpose and load-out. It's reasonable to afford them the same courtesy.
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 03-17-24, 08:18 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by base2
It has nothing to do with the bike you ride. You had/have a history of every single post touting the superiority of a recumbent for all uses in all situations as the superior vehicle for all persons. You weren't helpful. You were either smug, righteous, or indignant. It got a little old and people tired of it. Like it or not, you crafted your own reputation and people treat you accordingly.

Instead of proclaiming there are (only) 2 types of cyclists you don't understand, why don't you ask why the cyclist with all the bags has all the bags &/or what is in those bags? Where is he going with all those bags? Likewise with the no-bag cyclist. You might be enlightened with gems such as in frame storage. The former goes to suggest your sense if superiority over others; The latter to your sense of humility.

Which type of person would you want to associate with?
Your post is absolutely wrong. I know you cannot say I posted that bents were best for everything. Not at racing because of the rules, not on single track, or mountain biking.
Old 03-17-24, 08:28 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
IMHO, they don't care what you ride, just that you seem to hold that it is a superior form of cycling and don't read the cues when your opinions are not well received.
+1, assuming he is and does who and what he claims, which, IMO, is a big assumption.

And it’s not the first time someone had expressed the opinion that you have. No even close to the first time. Seems it’s futile.

Last edited by indyfabz; 03-17-24 at 01:14 PM.
Old 03-17-24, 08:36 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by indyfabz
+1, assuming is and does who and what he claims, which, IMO, is a big assumption.

And it’s not the first time someone had expressed the opinion that you have. No even close to the first time. Seems it’s futile.
You could just put me on ignore if you dont like what I post.
Old 03-17-24, 08:40 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
Your post is absolutely wrong. I know you cannot say I posted that bents were best for everything. Not at racing because of the rules, not on single track, or mountain biking.
Well, that is the reputation you built for yourself.

FWIW. 'bents are superior for racing because of aerodynamics. That is why the rules prohibiting them exist. It was you who even posted a video of amateurs keeping pace with the TdF leaders some time ago. At least I picked up that little tid-bit from your participation here.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 03-17-24, 09:09 AM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked 547 Times in 307 Posts
I have ridden a 'bent once. An old GF's parents had a neighbor who had one and thought they were the absolute best thing ever. They lived just west of the Rose Bowl in Pasadena CA.

The neighbor insisted I ride his bent, so I did... I tried to climb one of the 20% grade hills. I routinely rode my Peugeot CFX-10 up those hills, but I couldn't make that 'bent climb them. And not so good coming down, either.

And please no stupid comments about needing different muscle groups. At the time I ran and lifted weights regularly. 'Bents are the ultimate expression of trading aerodynamic shape for weight.

So I'll add another situation where 'bents suck: extremely steep hills.
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 03-17-24, 09:13 AM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 286 Posts
My only point in this dust up is how a small group thinks I am a threat to their way of cycling. Did I post something that is too close to the actual truth they dont like?

Bottom line here is--------------if they dont like what I post, just put me on ignore, and have a good nights sleep.
You really need to come to terms with the fact that you pose no threat of any kind to anyone in any way
Likes For Steel Charlie:
Old 03-17-24, 09:41 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts

I'm pretty sure none of them perceive you as a threat to their cycling hobbies. There is a wide range of road cyclists, gravel riders, mountain bikers, vintage owners and commuters that are not going to change their preferences. I think it all fine and well that you have found a way to get out and enjoy some form of human powered transportation, but you seem to have this off-putting sense that you are being attacked when someone doesn't agree that a capable and able bodied cyclist continues to ride their machine of choice.

And I think the ignore function of a board is a useless feature. Scrolling is easy enough. But perhaps you need to use it to guard yourself from the elder abusers.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 03-17-24, 09:43 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
My only point in this dust up is how a small group thinks I am a threat to their way of cycling.
No one feels threatened by you.
Likes For smd4:
Old 03-17-24, 09:43 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by Steel Charlie
You really need to come to terms with the fact that you pose no threat of any kind to anyone in any way
Im glad you understand that. Now try to convince others.
Old 03-17-24, 09:48 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
That guy who wears a cycling cap, whether to dinner at a nice place or riding.

The sexy girl/bot in Lycra who’ve never ridden a bike, posting pics of them next to a bike, and sending messages to members of Facebook cycling groups. I understand her/bot, I don’t understand the ones who reply to her/bot.

The guy who did Latoja (or similar) 20 years ago and gets winded walking up the stairs today.

The guy who spends as much time applying sunscreen as he does riding. No matter the weather.
Old 03-17-24, 10:24 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
That guy who wears a cycling cap, whether to dinner at a nice place or riding.
Um. When riding, it's either a cycling cap, a do rag, or skin cancer.

Club Hair Loss.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 03-17-24, 01:26 PM
indyfabz

But perhaps you need to use it to guard yourself from the elder abusers.
IKR. if one feels like they are being abused, it makes no sense to continue to expose yourself to the alleged abuse. Perhaps the feeling of abuse is fabricated. THAT would make total sense.

BTW…I have a slightly used bridge in Brooklyn for sale. Anyone who is interested can PM me.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-17-24, 02:11 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
My only point in this dust up is how a small group thinks I am a threat to their way of cycling. Did I post something that is too close to the actual truth they dont like?.
Are you unwell?

You are not a threat to anyone in any way ... ever. As far as posting something close to the truth .... it could happen but only by accident.

You do seem to think that everyone is a threat to your way of cycling ... which is hilario9us because ... No One Cares Much About You.

Sorry.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 03-17-24, 02:31 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 03-17-24, 02:47 PM
indyfabz

I have a challenge: See if you can trivialize “elder abuse” any further.

I can’t imagine that anyone who is truly 85 would call responses here “elder abuse.”
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-17-24, 04:54 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
When I visualize threat, I might see a mugger in a dark alley. This I see more as a large dog turd that appears periodically in the same spot on the sidewalk. Dodge it, step in it, ponder why someone doesn't care to control their dog.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 03-17-24, 05:16 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
When I visualize threat, I might see a mugger in a dark alley. This I see more as a large dog turd that appears periodically in the same spot on the sidewalk. Dodge it, step in it, ponder why someone doesn't care to control their dog.
Post of the year! 😂 👏
Old 03-17-24, 05:23 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I have a challenge: See if you can trivialize “elder abuse” any further.

I can’t imagine that anyone who is truly 85 would call responses here “elder abuse.”
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I've observed this sort of behavior in my mother: when I was a kid, she was barely paying attention. But as she has gotten older, she has been offering more and more advice and gotten very insistent about it. Of course, it's irritating and unnecessary, as I am an educated and experienced adult and she has nothing useful to offer in this regard. I know that seems mean, but it's true.

I've seen this behavior in other elderly people, too - almost always men: even outside of whatever expertise they may have, some of them love to share their 'wisdom' with us youngsters, as if every one of their utterances is a solid gold nugget of truth. Once, when one of these oldsters was sharing some of this worldly wisdom with me, I interjected, "You realize that I'm 60 years old, right? I've been around the block a few times." It's especially irritating when they do it to my wife, who is the leader of the largest and most visible organization in our small-ish city. It's pretty common for some eighty-something year old, who's never worked in her field or even achieved anything near the level of professional success she has achieved in her forties, to tell her how to do her job. She smiles politely and pretends to listen.

I don't know what drives this behavior -- perhaps they are pushing back against a nagging feeling of irrelevance -- 'rage against the dying of the light.' Whatever the cause, it makes me more inclined to listen and learn from younger people; most of them know some things that I don't know.

Last edited by Koyote; 03-17-24 at 05:26 PM.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-17-24, 05:50 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11971 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
That’s enough abuse for one thread. Seeya!