Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Anybody use a Burley kid-type trailer for commute/errands?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-11, 10:53 AM
hhnngg1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Just wondering how well this would work out - road bike + Burley child trailer (no child in it). For groceries, or commuting, etc.
Old 06-10-11, 11:09 AM
JR97
Golden Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used a kiddie trailer for errands all the time. Hauling groceries, hauling my hockey gear, etc. I even took on a 2 day tour loaded with my camping gear. Friend of mine hauls her dog in hers.

One thing I noticed is that I got a lot of clearance from people because they assumed there was a kid in there.
Old 06-10-11, 11:26 AM
sggoodri

Bikes: 1983 Trek 500, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2023 Litespeed Watia

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I used to ride back from the daycare with an empty Burley D'Lite before dropping it off at home and riding to work. It adds a lot of wind resistance and I really feel it there on the hills and when accelerating. Unless I have something really bulky to move, I don't want to be pulling it.

I've used it to carry supplies for classes and presentations, but most of my shopping errand cargo fits well enough in two panniers and a trunk bag, which I'd rather use.
Old 06-10-11, 12:48 PM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've seen many posts from people who do just that and I have seen some in real life. I built a DIY cargo trailer based on a Burley child trailer, but many people just use them straight up, without any modifications. It works fine. Check out the Utility Cycling forum.
Old 06-10-11, 01:00 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2497 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 523 Posts
If one already has a kiddie trailer then I think it wouldn't be the worst thing to re-purpose it for cargo duty on occasion. For someone looking into making a purchase... don't do it. Get a proper utility trailer from go and you will be much happier. Personally I love my Bob Yak. Where I lived, a single track trailer was a must. Now I could run two wheels but the single track has much less impact on your cycling efforts.

H
Old 06-10-11, 01:22 PM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
My son outgrew ours a couple of years ago, but I keep ours around for hauling stuff. I don't use it that often, but it works. It does pull hard due to the wind resistance, so I wouldn't want to ride with it every day.

The last three years, I've hauled home my company provided Thanksgiving turkey using the kid's trailer. I just strapped it in like a child and headed out into traffic. I'm sure some people thought I was the world's worst parent by pulling a kid down a busy city street.
Old 06-10-11, 02:09 PM
sdold
Hi, folks

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use one for this sometimes, everything said previously I would agree with. You might look for a Burley Cub with the plastic pan bottom, that's what I have an it's really nice for carrying just about anything from kids to firewood.
Old 06-10-11, 02:12 PM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
If one already has a kiddie trailer then I think it wouldn't be the worst thing to re-purpose it for cargo duty on occasion. For someone looking into making a purchase... don't do it. Get a proper utility trailer from go and you will be much happier. Personally I love my Bob Yak. Where I lived, a single track trailer was a must. Now I could run two wheels but the single track has much less impact on your cycling efforts.

H
Except that you can pickup an old Burley kid carrier for like $50 on Craigslist and DIY a nice, capable, waterproof, dorky looking trailer for under $100 Why stop there? What about a cheap flatbed, ha? Certainly, I wouldn't trust that trailer on a cross-country tour, but for running errands it rocks. And I am cheap
Old 06-10-11, 05:01 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
I used a kid trailer to pull all kinds of stuff besides my children. Laundry, groceries and it helped it our pre-move into our new place. Eventually the kids didn't need the trailer and I was using it less and less for those other things. It was a bit of a pain as it is wide and it limits riding in downtown traffic.

Last month I purchased the Burley Travoy and bought the Market Place bags to fit and every time I use it I think it is one of the best cycling products I have purchased (outside of my White Industry pedals and Bruce Gordon half clips). When you live in high rise like I do, being able to guide the bike with one hand and the trailer in the other to get it into the elevator makes life much simpler. I have even used the Travoy for commuting and wheel it right up to my office.
Old 06-10-11, 05:08 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
If one already has a kiddie trailer then I think it wouldn't be the worst thing to re-purpose it for cargo duty on occasion. For someone looking into making a purchase... don't do it. Get a proper utility trailer from go and you will be much happier.
+1

Actually our newer burley is actively less useful for cargo than our old one. Now that our youngest has outgrown it, we're going to ditch it, it's not worth the storage space to us. Get a trailer 2nd hand and break it down to put a platform on it, or get a dedicated cargo trailer, but don't buy a kid trailer for cargo.
Old 06-12-11, 04:05 PM
Sirrus Rider
Velocommuter Commando

Bikes: '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by hhnngg1
Just wondering how well this would work out - road bike + Burley child trailer (no child in it). For groceries, or commuting, etc.
I use mine with my Schwinn Town and Country Trike.

I love the looks of the Blue Hairs as I'm such a "Bad" daddy taking my kids into the middle of traffic.

I've also hauled it to work behind my '07 Sirrus; however, I found it made the Sirrus harder to ride so I'm not inclined to do that again.
Old 06-12-11, 04:23 PM
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
I ride to the grocery store, unhook the Burley trailer, swing down the front wheel and then use it as a shopping cart. That way, there is no doubt that what I get will fit for the ride home.
Old 06-12-11, 06:44 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I have an old Instep kiddie trailer that I modified to use the Burley hitch... which I bought online. I get a lot of use out of that thing. I'd say it's paid for itself.
Old 06-13-11, 08:51 AM
monsterpile
This bike is cat approved

Bikes: To many to list...

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an old one that I have used a few times over the past year or so. I am sure there are better trailers out there but for $5 its tons better than the crappy one I had before and I am very happy with it overall. The most I ever put in it was 3 bicycles I picked up a few miles away. It was slow going back but what do you expect pulling an extra 100lbs?
Old 06-13-11, 09:43 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I own a Burly flatbed, made in the last year of the worker owned co-op..
it features a fold down tow bar , and 2 QR wheels ,
So packs away in the closet, nicely..