Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Titanium vs Steel which is better????

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Titanium vs Steel which is better????

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-10, 07:18 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
My Merlin (before the hideous American Flag cork wrap)

Old 01-29-10, 07:35 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
I don't have anything against Ti bikes but I do prefer steel bikes aesthetic-wise;

Everytime I look at this pic of my Peugeot PSV, I get reminded on how perfectly balanced and interesting the look of 80's steel racing bikes were.
I now have a higher spec Vitus Carbone, but I think I still like the looks of the PSV a litle bit better because of the details on it. It would be the same reason why I would prefer a steel 80's bike to a Ti.
JMOs

Chombi
Old 01-29-10, 09:02 PM
Reynolds 753

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Ti vs. Steel

I've had during the same time for several years a steel and titanium bike. Both were LeMonds - same size (55cm) and geometry. They also had the same type of wheel/tires which can influence the quality of ride a bike provides. To me there was very little (if any) difference between the two. The only "advantage" that Ti has over steel is it's non-corrosive properties which for me, living/riding along the Atlantic Coast was a plus. Due to this they also don't rust from the inside out due to condensation.

...and yes I know about 'frame saver' and like products for steel frames - salt and humidity are still formidable foes for a steel frame.
Old 01-30-10, 02:01 AM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by a_phat_beat
On another note, I pose this question to you and anyone else who wants to chime in.... What frame, in your opinion, would give the ULTIMATE steel experience?

thanks.
Best riding steel frame I've ever experienced was the Tommasini Tecno. Phenomenal.
I'd imagine Serotta, Waterford, Richard Sachs, and the like would be shoe-ins for the "ultimate" category.

Last edited by canyoneagle; 01-30-10 at 02:09 AM.
Old 01-30-10, 09:55 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi
.....I get reminded on how perfectly balanced and interesting the look of 80's steel racing bikes were......
Chombi
70's too! It's the colors, the skinny tubes, and all the coruscating.

Old 01-30-10, 10:35 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
It's really diificult to compare materials and particulary steel with ti. The differences between frames and bikes have much more to do with what the builder does than the material. Both can be made to be stiff, flexy, comfortable, etc. I have a custom ti and I got to pick how I wanted it to ride. The builder used differt tubes to vary the characteristics. For example I wanted it light but stiff in the rear. It turns out to ride almost identical to a steel bike I have.

People also compare bikes and don't realize the wheels and tires have a lot to do with the ride; perhaps more than the frame.
Old 01-30-10, 12:27 PM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Talk about a buzz kill. I had this Ti fantasy going.....
Keep it going. I love my ti bike - it rides like steel but I never have to worry about rust or paint scratches. Plus it's a little lighter.
Old 01-30-10, 06:07 PM
froze
Banned.

Bikes: 84 Trek 660 Suntour Superbe; 87 Giant Rincon Shimano XT; 07 Mercian Vincitore Campy Veloce

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'd like to own a ti bike, but I have other projects taking excess money so I stay with steel. I have a 67 Ford Galaxy 500 conv and a 79 Chev Camaro Z28 that I finished painting last summer after someone smacked into it; and now I'm turning the engine into a 383 stroker with about 450hp and 435 ft lbs of torque to the rear-nothing huge in the hp department but I don't want to swap trannies and rearends to hold down higher hp's, but I will have to have the tranny rebuilt and shift kit installed. So these things take any excess money I have, plus this summer I want to race the Z at Osceola Dragway near Mishawaka airport here in Indiana and that cost money as well.

By the way, cheap TI bikes have been having problems with frames failure, so I'm not so sure about buying a cheap TI frame just because it's TI and can be had for cheap...BUT...there's also been in increase in cheap CF frames failing too, and these are failures that occur without warning and suddenly resulting in serious crashes.
Old 01-30-10, 06:10 PM
froze
Banned.

Bikes: 84 Trek 660 Suntour Superbe; 87 Giant Rincon Shimano XT; 07 Mercian Vincitore Campy Veloce

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sced
70's too! It's the colors, the skinny tubes, and all the coruscating.

You have an extremely nice looking bike and it's a classic; thanks for showing it.
Old 01-31-10, 08:42 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Originally Posted by froze
You have an extremely nice looking bike and it's a classic; thanks for showing it.
Thanks. It doesn't look to me that steel frames changed very much from the late 60's to the late 80's, when the specialty steel alloys, shaped tubing, and tig welding became prevalent.
Old 01-31-10, 10:10 AM
froze
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks. It doesn't look to me that steel frames changed very much from the late 60's to the late 80's, when the specialty steel alloys, shaped tubing, and tig welding became prevalent.
Weight wise they changed a bit when they figured out that they could make thin wall double butting the main tubes would lighten the frame and still keep the frame strong. I had a a top of the line late 60's racing Puch I bought used in the early 70's and it was about 2 pounds heavier then the Trek TX900 I bought in 77, so just in those few years weight reduction improved. But not much in weight reduction of a frameset (not components) occurred from 1934 with the introduction of double butted Reynolds 531 until early 70's! Then the weight issue went stagnate again from about early 70's until about 1995 when higher performance steel came out like the Reynolds 853 that lowered the weight of a frame by about a pound. Then steel makers figured out by removing lugs (but I like the looks of lugs) they could save about 1/4th of a pound, then of course going with CF forks instead of steel would save about a pound.

Components have always been evolving, and in 60's (and of course prior to 60's) they were heavy compared to 80's stuff, but weight of components haven't changed much since the 80's up to today just the cost and reliability (lower now) changed a lot to get the higher end stuff today.

By the way, I almost bought a Holdsworth when I bought the Trek TX900, but opted for the Trek strictly on price, the Trek was about $500 less and equipped the same with Campy Record (actually when I bought the Trek Trek only sold frames with no components, the LBS supplied and installed the components). I hope you never sell that bike because if you do later you'll regret it like I do now for selling the Trek.

Last edited by froze; 01-31-10 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-31-10, 10:58 AM
luker
juneeaa memba!

Bikes: Crap. The box is not big enough...

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by a_phat_beat
I hear you on this one. My goal isn't the ULTIMATE steel experience, but rather, a nice steel experience, and BEAUTIFUL aesthetics (the paint job on the c-94 I've got is remarkable). I don't plan on racing it, or even pushing my limits on it. The Merlin has far exceeded any and all expectations I've had in a bicycle riding experience. I picked up the frame used. Luckily it was nearly flawless, and I feel I got it for a steal ($750 shipped w/ frame, reynolds ouzo pro fork, headset, american classic ti seatpost and a campy chorus alloy crankset). Weight definitely is NOT my main concern as I live in NYC and for the most part, the riding I do is relatively flat. I try and set up my rigs so that I can achieve comfort and performance as much as possible. Thanks for the input on the C-94, I still don't have much info with respect to the history of that specific model, but I look forward to building it up and ultimately riding the heck out of it.

There's a link to a picture of my merlin in my signature, and the c-94 can be seen here: https://go.bikeforums.net/?id=42X1295...142a5ed989.jpg
On another note, I pose this question to you and anyone else who wants to chime in.... What frame, in your opinion, would give the ULTIMATE steel experience?

thanks.
I would also like to know everyone's opinions on ultimate steel. I'm thinking right now that columbus XCR or Reynolds 953 might be the best overall. The new Columbus "bike-specific" steels are also contenders...I'm thinking life, spirit, zona. What others?
Old 01-31-10, 12:28 PM
sced
South Carolina Ed

..... I hope you never sell that bike because if you do later you'll regret it like I do now for selling the Trek.
Aye aye...a Christmas present from my parents when I was 16, that was custom made for me and delivered in 1973.
Old 02-01-10, 07:15 PM
LOIBLB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After 15 years of owing a very fast Litespeed Classic have to say Ti. But I have 6 steel rides that will bring great fun on any given day. But in group rides I noticed the plastic / carbon is all the rage. I just sold a plastic tall dollar bike. Give me Ti or steel.
Old 02-02-10, 09:27 PM
froze
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Aye aye...a Christmas present from my parents when I was 16, that was custom made for me and delivered in 1973.
Dang, were your parents into cycling? They seem like they were to pick out a steed like that! My first bike my parents bought me was a Mattel Varooom at the age of 8, that's probably worth a mint now but I was the joke of the neighborhood then; then when I turned 12 my brother needed to buy a car and thus needed money so I bought his Schwinn 3 speed. I jumped at the Schwinn because I broke the Mattel doing jumps about 3 years prior, and walking just wasn't the thing to do when all your friends had bikes.
Old 02-03-10, 06:51 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Dang, were your parents into cycling? They seem like they were to pick out a steed like that! My first bike my parents bought me was a Mattel Varooom at the age of 8, that's probably worth a mint now but I was the joke of the neighborhood then; then when I turned 12 my brother needed to buy a car and thus needed money so I bought his Schwinn 3 speed. I jumped at the Schwinn because I broke the Mattel doing jumps about 3 years prior, and walking just wasn't the thing to do when all your friends had bikes.
So you're an addict from an early age:-)

The Holdsworth was my consolation prize when my parents bought my older sister a new car, a Datsun 510. They didn't know anything about bikes, but I sure did. I ended up with the car about 5 years later after my sister trashed it. I learned a lot about working on cars just trying to keep it going. The engine eventually went because it had been so poorly maintained, but I still have the bike.:-)
Old 02-03-10, 07:57 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
I've had Ti, have carbon, aluminum and steel, prefer steel.
BUT
If they made a Ti bike to the exact specs of a 56cm Tange 1 Ironman, with a nice CF fork, yeah, I'd be all over it.

I still plan to get a Ti frame and build it, just have to find one the owner realizes is Ti, not gold.
Old 02-03-10, 01:48 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I'll provide a first hand report in March;

I'm sure this will be a little better than this;

Or;

or;

Last edited by Barrettscv; 02-03-10 at 02:03 PM.
Old 02-03-10, 02:52 PM
sekaijin

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Classic, 1984 Schwinn LeTour, 1998 Gary Fisher Marlin, 1969 Hercules, 1977 Sekai 5000 Superlite, 1993 Koga-Myata TerraLiner, 2013 Trek Farley.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Last edited by sekaijin; 03-15-10 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Trying to cover my tracks a little, just in case ;)
Old 02-03-10, 03:38 PM
dd74

Bikes: 2000 Schwinn Paramount Ti, 1994 LeMond/Bilatto, 1985 Colnago Super

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jet sanchEz
We need some pics in here. Vintage Ti pics...
I'll get you one tonight of my Schwinn/Serotta Paramount.
I'm also thinking of selling it.

53cm, full 9-spd D/A, except the cranks and pedals (Ultegra), brand new Brooks saddle, Mavic Helium wheels, rare Ti Serotta stem, Litespeed Ti seatpost. I'm figuring $1,800.
Old 02-06-10, 08:58 PM
tugrul

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi
Everytime I look at this pic of my Peugeot PSV, I get reminded on how perfectly balanced and interesting the look of 80's steel racing bikes were.
What about 80's titanium? Looks like Fuji had them back to 1987, and no plastic fork. No lugs either, but you can rarely have it all.

Finding one of those would blow my mind. Wonder how it rides.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1990 Fuji Titanium Road.jpg (60.3 KB, 156 views)
Old 03-03-10, 12:59 PM
Wiswell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sekaijin
Very interesting thread for me at the moment:

To the horror of my inner retro-grouch, and to the delight of my inner hammerhead-wannabe, I am doing my first modern road bike build. And it's ti.

Last month I happened on a Litespeed Classic frameset up for sale with very similar geometry to my favorite old steel ride, my 1977 Sekai 5000. It was not a crazy steal. But it seemed like a good deal on something just right for me, so (rather to my amazement) I went for it.

It's very pretty. Interestingly the weight difference is not huge - 4.4 lbs for the Litespeed frameset (frame, fork & headset) vs. 5.3 lbs (IIRC?) for the 1977 Sekai 5000 frameset (frame, fork, headset & fixed BB cup). And a lot of that weight difference is in the forks - the Sekai's original Tange fork is hefty compared to the Litespeed's carbon fork.

As for comparing the ride ... we'll see, come spring.
Hah. I knew I had to stalk you to find out what the frameset was you were building! I wasn't clever enough to figure it out by the picture previews.

I will tell you that a friend of mine has a ti litespeed and a steel Lemond. He prefers the Lemond. I have never ridden ti but I rode with a couple for about 100 miles all told (over two days) who had matching custom Spectrum ti's and they loved them.

Can't wait to see this ride in person!
Old 03-03-10, 03:24 PM
bikerosity57

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts
Titanium should be a better choice for a bike frame than steel, but a lot of steel framed bikes ride very well indeed. However, a properly made and designed titanium frame should be the ideal way to go: good vibration dampening qualities, stiff enough but not overly so, and extremely strong. Also, titanium does not corrode, is difficult to scratch, and unlike steel it can be repeatedly flexed up to a point with out damaging the metal FOREVER. Steel eventually fails even with modest flexing(although "eventually" could be a very long time/amount of flexes), and aluminum is even worse. If you left your titanium frame out in the weather for ten thousand years, it would be just as good as new.
If it were cheaper everything would be made of titanium.
Old 03-03-10, 07:04 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
I like my Ironman bikes, and a Paramount, and some Italian steel. To date, none has ridden like this Ti, and if if was a 56cm, I'd still have it.
Old 03-03-10, 07:19 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by bikerosity57
... and unlike steel [italics added] it can be repeatedly flexed up to a point with out damaging the metal FOREVER. Steel eventually fails even with modest flexing...
Unless the scientific understanding of steel properties has changed drastically since I went to school, that is incorrect. Steel has a "fatigue limit", which IIRC is about 20% of it's yield stress. In accordance with fatigue theory, stresses below a material's fatigue limit can be applied an infinite number of times with no damage. You are correct about titanium, however.
For more information, here is the Wikipedia entry: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatigue_limit

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.