Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What type of bike is your commuter?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.
View Poll Results: My commute bike is a
comfort bike -- few gears, upright riding, medium tires
4.43%
hybrid bike -- straight/short handlebars, medium/thin tires
28.48%
mountain bike -- straight handlebars, wide tires
16.14%
performance bike -- not alumimum frame, light weight, thin tires
3.80%
recumbent bike -- pedals above seat height
1.90%
road bike -- drop handlebars, thin tires
25.63%
touring bike -- stronger frame, longer wheelbase, medium/wide tires
19.62%
Voters: 316. You may not vote on this poll

What type of bike is your commuter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-05, 04:41 PM
markhr
POWERCRANK addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
Let's see a big smile from everyone who rides a cyclocross bike.

https://gallery.roadbikereview.com/sh...&ppuser=246067
Don't run red lights, wear a helmet, use hand signals, get some cycle lights(front and rear) and, FFS, don't run red lights!
Old 06-01-05, 04:50 PM
beekay
la moda de nada

Bikes: early 80's bianchi dog/ Klein Pulse Race

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
heavily customized early 80's steel taiwanese bianchi of unknown model.
Axiom Journey rack, Arkel bug, SKS fenders, Panaracer pasela tg 27" tires, toe clips
This is the setup I've been using after much trial and error, and I'm happy with it, though I'm thinking of going clipless next paycheck.
Old 06-01-05, 05:37 PM
trickdog

Bikes: 2005 MTB

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Previous to today, my commuter was an old tired early 90's Arashi MTB.

Today I just bought a new Norco MTB for my new daily commuter ...could not beat the price. I pick it up tomorrow after work. I am having 26x1.5 slicks put on instead of the stock 26x2.10 tires. By the weekend it will be outfitted with full fenders, rear rack etc.

My New Bike
Old 06-01-05, 05:57 PM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 540 Times in 267 Posts
Old road bikes & old touring bikes, voted road bike because I ride them most. If I wanted only one & went with a new bike, it would be a full fendered touring bike of some kind. Don
Old 06-01-05, 06:02 PM
Cyclaholic
CRIKEY!!!!!!!

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 365 Posts
I ride a Learsport TR3240, all the bike shops that I've been to reckon they're ***** but so far it's been bulletproof. Here's a link to their site, tell me what you think of the specs...

https://www.learsport.com/index.php?c...20Country'

I changed the knobbies for slicks and went with shimano clipless, otherwise stock. I'm not entirely sure but I don't think this brand is available anywhere else but here in Australia

The thing about all the bike shops that say how bad they are is that I ask them what they could do for a bike with equivalent componentry and they give me prices 60% - 80% more than what I paid

Would I buy it again? YES!

[edit] Forgot to mention, the prices on their site are in Aussie dollars, I got mine for $500 plus they threw in a good quality helmet, saddlebag and upgraded the seat to the one on their top of the range downhill bike (I didn't like the stock seat on the test ride) - I couldn't be happier
Old 06-01-05, 06:30 PM
al-wagner
Happy old man

Bikes: Trek 4500 mountain bike, Trek 7500fx disk, and Trek 2200 Road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My main commuter bike is a mountain bike "Trek 4500" but when I feel lazy I use my road bike a "Trek 2200" and for the last 2 month I have been lazy. The mountain bike got a good work out ALL winter riding in the ICE and SNOW.
Old 06-01-05, 06:46 PM
Roadmistress
Black Sheep

Bikes: Roadmaster Mtn Sport, Huffy Powerline, Huffy Sportsman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDL
Now THAT is a true commuter! I have yet to weigh my bike, I need to find a scale. I dunno if they'd let me put it on the scale back in our shipping department. I'd love to see pics of the RoadMaster if you have them.

I weigh my roadmaster and all my other bikes by picking it up, holdng it balanced on my shoulders, and standing on the household bathroom scale. Then I put down hte bike and weight myself again. Subtract the second number from the first = weight of bike.

Yeah I need....pictures...of all my bikses. ^_^
Old 06-01-05, 07:29 PM
ruppster
Bike Builder

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Was riding a Mountainsmith Altitude (Dick's SG) MTB, but bought a new Trek 1000 roadbike on Sat. The roadbike works much better and faster (at least on sunny days).
Old 06-01-05, 08:52 PM
mod-eddie

Bikes: Novara Fusion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Novara Fusion.

It's so much fun, I'm almost sad to pull into my driveway at the end of my commute, even in the summer heat of the desert.
Old 06-01-05, 08:55 PM
JohnBrooking
Commuter

Bikes: 2006 Giant Cypress EX (7-speed internal hub)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Diamondback Crestview hybrid. I only commute, and before that (3 years ago), hadn't ridden a bike steadily since college, so I didn't (and still don't) know much about what's out there. Went into the LBS, explained my situation, said I didn't want to spend a fortune, and this is what he sold me.

I've been satisfied with it, although I don't have any other experience to compare it to. The upright position was good to start out, and I've never been a fan of the leaning over position of road bikes, but lately I've been thinking it would be nice to be more aerodynamic, so my feelings on that may be changing. It has 24 gears, and although I don't use all of them, I like having a geared bike because I'm lazy and to this day am not overly fond of exerting myself!
Old 06-01-05, 09:24 PM
GrodyGeek
Displaced Yooper

Bikes: Atlantis, Bridgestone, Trek, Cannondale, Osell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride on a Rivendell Atlantis, a hand made touring/all-rounder frame with racks, fenders, a generator hub, and a leather Brooks saddle. Drop handlebars with shellac coated cotton bar tape. Good old eight speed geartrain. I use a waxed cotton saddle bags and small panniers to commute.
Old 06-01-05, 11:12 PM
discosaurus
i like mud

Bikes: Trek 7.2 FX WSD, beaters

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride a Giant Cypress hybrid, which is an upgrade from a 1995-ish Schwinn Sidewinder--it was a 15" frame, which is a tiny bike, but it weighed 35 lbs unloaded!
Old 06-01-05, 11:15 PM
TheDL
Survival of the Fitest

Bikes: 198? Univega Custom Maxima, 2009 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Roadmistress
I weigh my roadmaster and all my other bikes by picking it up, holdng it balanced on my shoulders, and standing on the household bathroom scale. Then I put down hte bike and weight myself again. Subtract the second number from the first = weight of bike.
I could do that too...if I had a bathroom scale
Old 06-02-05, 12:36 AM
ben trim

Bikes: '05 Giant T-1, '98 Lightspeed Tuscany, '95 Ritchey P22, 80's Motobecane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HiYoSilver
Curious about:

1. what type of bike you are commuting with

2. If you are happy with that choice. If you were buying a new bike for your commute what type would it be?
1.mid 80's slime green Motobecane w that one piece handlebar covering, suntour gearing, fenders, rack, paniers and nightstick lights. Had it about 2 years now.

2. Yes, it's kind of a tank by today's standards but a joy to ride. Wouldn't buy a new comuter. I'd just fret about it getting lifted. Gonna convert my old mt bike for SWMBO. It's a Ritchie Comp 24.
Old 06-02-05, 12:49 AM
womble
No longer in Wimbledon...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In Sydney, I have a Cannondale front suspension bike with narrow tyres. Here in Vancouver, I'm riding a 1980s road bike (a Centurion).

Having tried both, I believe that the road bike is better for Vancouver as the roads are great and traffic is aware. I'd stick to my mountain bike in Sydney though as there are more hills and traffic is dangerously clueless about cyclists.
Old 06-02-05, 05:20 AM
bnet1
'Bent Brian

Bikes: Trek 1000, Rans Tailwind

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
RANS Tailwind recumbent. Good solid bike. Handles well in traffic. Cagers seem to give a wider berth when passing. Like the granny low for starting on hills. Comfort is unsurpassed. No need for panniers as my backpack hangs nicely off of the seat back. AHH, you might want to edit the "recumbent" in your poll. The BB is typically level with, or slightly lower than the seat bottom on most LWB/CLWB formats.
Old 06-02-05, 05:42 AM
sdouglaslt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2005 Motobecane Cafe Noir flat bar road bike. My present to myself after starting my new job. Got an Arkel brifcase pannier, too. Wish I'd have bought one of those a long time ago.
Old 06-02-05, 05:56 AM
vtjim
Belt drive!

Bikes: 2011 Trek Soho DLX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blackberry
It's people like you who are sending the American economy to hell in a rowboat.
Seriously! Why does he hate freedom?
Old 06-02-05, 06:46 AM
Boogs
Kelly Drive Amateur

Bikes: '86 Super Sport with mods

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mine is a Schwinn Voyageur - a strong 27lb.-ish touring bike with drops, full Freddy fenders, a Delta Universal rack, Jandd Economy panniers, strong dble rimmed 27" wheels (40 spoke rear, 36 spoke front), and Conti Ultra Gatorskins (listed 1.25", but actually 28mm) with Tuffy liners. This is an absolutely perfect bike for commuting and pleasure riding in the city (and it's parks and 'burbs) - the steel frame makes it more forgiving, and the Gatorskins are fast, smooth, and are puncture-free after 700 miles.

For the winter, I'm going to refurb my old Crossroads Cruz with studded tires and a rack, so I'll be ready for snow/ice days.
Old 06-02-05, 06:50 AM
Wheel Doctor
Ride it, don't fondle it!

Bikes: Raleigh M80, Bacchetta AERO, Bacchetta GIRO, BikeE, 83' TREK 970, Catrike Speed, IRO Fixie/SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't participate cause I have to check most every box. I live in a very nice rural area. My commute is 15 miles each way. It is 11 miles of open secondary road with a wide shoulder and no reason to stop and no need to fro the entire 11 miles. 2 miles are more congested on one end when going thru town, still no stoplights, but pedestrians and some tight traffic areas. The other 2 miles on the other end is over a drawbridge and thru a small village area. The problem? Boredom!!!! The 11 miles although peaceful farmland and rural housing is again boring. How I deal with it is by riding different bikes. I have two recumbents a road bike and a fixie/SS. I am working on a MTB conversion for a slick tyred commuter with dropped bars even as an addition. I would never ride a true MTB for that distance although I have a SS MTB Hardtail and a geared Hardtail. The bike I ride most for the trip is a Bacchetta GIRO recumbent. It has a rear rack with a racktop bag, underseat panniers and can pull a BOB. It is really my most versitile commuter due to ti's carrying capability. I hope to make the MTB commuter able to do the same. In the arena of a dedicated commuter bike if I had to choose one that would be best for most venues, I would choose a Cyclocross style bike with disks, dropped bars , but with an extended forktube and appropiate stem to provide an upright positioning, gearing would be what would be appropiate for the area. I would elect for a double 52/39 with an 11/23 since there are no hills here, but there is wind. So I prefer tightly space gearing to find my most efficent cadence and speed combination to deal with the conditions and a high gear for when I'm lucky enough to have a tailwind. The cyclocross bike I think properly outfitted is a gem for commuters especially with disks. Some complain that equipping a disk bike with racks is a pain. For a good LBS or a homemechanic with the right collection of parts it's a piece of cake. I am very particular to a recimbent for rural commuting, fast and comfy....They also work well for urban use but they have limits. I like the ability to bail out over curbs and other urban obstructions so the beefy wheels and the better manuverability of an upright IMO provide a margin of extra safety. So a beefy tyred/wheeled cyclocross, road tourer or slick MTB is the order of the day.

Over the years anyone who has read my musing on this forum and othere knows that I believe in using the best bike for the type of use/conditions. It's practical. No one bike does everything very well. So if you riding is mostly of one type/venue choose the best bike for it. I realize that many if not most are one or two biked. IMO it is best to outfit it for it primary use. To me a commuter bike is a ultilitarian bike and should be reliable. While speed is nice, dependability is paramount with a commuter.

Last edited by Wheel Doctor; 06-02-05 at 06:59 AM.
Old 06-02-05, 06:51 AM
Crash Dummy
I get hit by cars

Bikes: Fuji Team Pro '05 / Ancient Bianchi commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. I commute on a Fuji Supreme with a rear rack. I rock the grocery back panniers, so my bike doubles as errand-runner and grocery-getter too. I can haul a week's worth of food in one run.

2. I've got no complaints about the bike. It gets me where I want to be with no trouble. The shifting is quick and trouble free. But, as always, I yearn for something fancier. Mostly, I'd like a real touring bike so that I can actually do some touring. Can't put front-end panniers on the Fuji without replacing the fork.
Old 06-02-05, 07:00 AM
rajman

Bikes: Miyata 600, Marin Larkspur, Marin Muirwoods, GT tequesta, Fuji Ace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My ride for commuting - 2004 Marin muirwoods.

I just got it this year. Overall I'm happy with it, but only for commuting. The LBS lists it's use as "aggressive urban". I concur. The bike is rugged, has slicks, and a relatively small frame. Since it is difficult for me to maintain a tuck position for any length of time (legs crash into chest) I can't really go at very high speeds on the flats (maybe 30+kmh with no wind) for any length of time - it really excells at stop and go riding. The acceleration is excellent and the stopping power and manouverability is also excellent.

I have to break out my touring bike for the 75k ride for heart though.
Old 06-02-05, 07:16 AM
Juha
Formerly Known as Newbie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I have a hybrid Nishiki. It's my touring bike too, and also used to tow kayak trailer frequently. I like the bike, but it's heavy. So lately I've been looking at lighter bikes (like an entry-level Bianchi), but still with fenders. I imagine with a largish saddle bag I would be all set for commuting. Add a handlebar bag and I could do short tours with it. I would still keep the hybrid for hauling heavier loads and towing kayak.

--J

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Old 06-02-05, 07:19 AM
chocula

Bikes: '79 Peugeot UE8, '89 Schwinn Mesa Runner, '79 Schwinn Traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. 1978 Peugeot UE-8 with upright bars, WALD rear baskets from the LBS and two of those old bullet headlights that someone was talking about recently in another thread. Bent a chain ring years ago, which led me to convert the bike to a 5-speed and add a chain guard.

2. I'm looking for a used mountain bike for an Xtracycle conversion.
Old 06-02-05, 07:40 AM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
1) Peugeot UO8 fixie or Peugeot PX10E fixie (The UO is for when I have to lock up)
2) Bridgestone RB2 or Trek 560 road bike
3) Panasonic Touring Deluxe
4) Peugeot UO10, hauls the trailer (I need a kayak trailer!)
5) The mighty Vello Kombi Spesial Euro city bike for dinking around the neighborhood.

You might suppose I am supprting the economy with so many rides (I have more) but the most expensive of these bikes was 40$ and my time/labour. I'm pretty sure you could buy the roadmaster for my total purchase price on these bikes, but most of the others on this thread would be out of reach.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.