Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

First Ride on Fixed Gear

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-13, 01:33 PM
bbeasley
Cat 5 field stuffer

Bikes: Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
Welcome to the non-hipster world of fixed gear cycling. You are already enjoying the experience. If you want more information on riding (even though it has a long-distance theme), try this thread in the LD forum.
Thanks! I read this a couple of weeks ago when I was trying to push myself to buy the bike. Great information there. I've been fighting Achilles pain for over 6 months. I've blamed it on the running I do for Triathlons. When I read that thread the bit about seat height resonated with me and presto my Achilles pain is gone! I only lowered my seat about 1/4" and it made all the difference.

I'll be doing a Century this year fixed gear. We've got one in particular that covers mostly rolling hills. Should be appropriate.
Old 01-23-13, 01:48 PM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
This was an interesting read, being the OP is a brand new fixed rider. I have an 80's Benotto in the garage that I'm going to convert with a flip flop hub soon, then I can find out why everyone has been wowing about these. Just need a few more parts. Minor stuff like a rear cog.
Old 01-23-13, 02:15 PM
bbeasley
Cat 5 field stuffer

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Yo Spiff
This was an interesting read, being the OP is a brand new fixed rider. I have an 80's Benotto in the garage that I'm going to convert with a flip flop hub soon, then I can find out why everyone has been wowing about these. Just need a few more parts. Minor stuff like a rear cog.
Cool! One mistake I narrowly avoided was gearing. I went out on my Roadie, for 50 miles, and picked one gear that I thought was correct. I was going to use this to spec my gearing on the FG. Richard at Wabi suggested a set that was actually more aggressive and it seems to be spot on. I'm sure some folks here can help.
Old 01-23-13, 02:24 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
I've been riding FG on one of my bikes for a little over a year now, and all this sounds familiar. It's a fun discovery. The OP mentioned the muscle memory change to ride a FG. The opposite is true- if you go back to a freewheel bike, it will feel very weird, almost like it's broken, because you start "leaning" on your trailing foot as well as the lead foot for balance. With a freewheel bike, if you do that, the pedal will fall out from under you. When you go from freewheel to fixed, your muscle memory adapts. When you go back to freewheel, it adapts back. The trick is to ride both types of bikes enough that you develop a second set of muscle memory... which I think I've done at this point. If I haven't ridding FG in a while, though, I will still "coast" once in a while and almost get thrown off the bike. I try to remember and concentrate when I come up to my first few stops not to do that.

Yo Spiff.... I think our relative strength in riding is comparable, I ride 69 or 70 gear inches on my FG. I could see maybe going a little higher, but any lower would be too low. I've left it as it is because of things like the Oakmonster and Taylor Street and the hills on South Drive. I can still get up those hills with my current gearing.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 01-23-13, 02:42 PM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
If I haven't ridding FG in a while, though, I will still "coast" once in a while and almost get thrown off the bike. I try to remember and concentrate when I come up to my first few stops not to do that.
this is one of the big reasons I don't flip my wheel and ride the fixed cog. the last time i did this it was painful cause I had stood up and locked my leg, then had the pedal come up smack my foot. felt like i had been kicked.
Old 01-23-13, 03:23 PM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Doohickie
...if you go back to a freewheel bike, it will feel very weird, almost like it's broken, because you start "leaning" on your trailing foot as well as the lead foot for balance. With a freewheel bike, if you do that, the pedal will fall out from under you.
That's what I meant by...
Originally Posted by jyossarian
Sloppy habits: It's a myth that fg will make your pedaling "rounder". If you're not careful, you'll rest on the upstroke knowing the pedal will push your legs up and over. You'll immediately notice it on a geared bike. Working on spinning will help develop a rounder stroke and you can do that on any bike. Descents on a fixed gear make it easy to learn since you have to learn.
As for switching between fixed and free wheels, you get used to it w/o having to remind yourself you can or can't coast.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 01-23-13, 03:38 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Sloppy habits: It's a myth that fg will make your pedaling "rounder". If you're not careful, you'll rest on the upstroke knowing the pedal will push your legs up and over.
Is that sloppy or bad necessarily? I mean, I use that side of the stroke for speed modulation- if I have to slow down, I just lean a bit on the rear pedal. This makes for smoother transitions in speed that tapping the brakes (and is particularly useful in group rides for that reason- the slowing is not as abrupt to people following). Perhaps if I was track riding for speed, it would be a bad habit, but I don't see it as a negative while tooling around town.

Old 01-23-13, 09:07 PM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's more a warning. Some people think riding fixed improves their pedal stroke when it can actually make it worse if they constantly rest on the upstroke. I control speed and "coast" the same way, but for training the pedal stroke, you have to be make a conscious attempt to pull up. Riding up gradual inclines seated helps w/ this.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 01-23-13, 10:11 PM
idc

Bikes: quite a few

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice! What do you think of the Wabi? I've been looking at them for a couple months but haven't pulled the trigger. Is that the "Special"?

I started riding an older bike I switched to SS a few months ago, and also tried a friend's FG and had a blast.
Old 01-24-13, 05:08 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

It's more a warning. Some people think riding fixed improves their pedal stroke when it can actually make it worse if they constantly rest on the upstroke.
I don't ride with clips or straps, so there is no upstroke for me. (I use toe clips without straps.) I've never clipped in and I'm not about to start now, even with FG.

Old 01-24-13, 05:54 AM
bbeasley
Cat 5 field stuffer

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by idc
Nice! What do you think of the Wabi? I've been looking at them for a couple months but haven't pulled the trigger. Is that the "Special"?

I started riding an older bike I switched to SS a few months ago, and also tried a friend's FG and had a blast.
Mine's the Classic. I'm very happy with it, Richard the owner and designer is exceptional to work with. He answered my all my questions over a 1 1/2 year period without ever trying to sell my anything. I picked the Wabi for several reasons. Many of the folks who buy cheaper FGs end up putting Wabi wheels on their bikes as an upgrade. By the time you do that your getting very close to the price of a Wabi and you get a much higher quality bike. I'm a bit over 200 lbs so I tend to pay attention to my wheels. Same goes for the head set and brakes all quality stuff. I also wanted road bike geometry but with FG bottom bracket height.

If you send Richard some measurements, defined on the Wabi site, from your current bike he'll recommend a size and setup your Wabi for you. Mine was spot on. The only thing I did was put on my saddle. The Wabi saddle looked fine but I like my Adamo so I didn't even try the one that came with the bike.
Old 01-27-13, 10:48 AM
bbeasley
Cat 5 field stuffer

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Went 51 miles yesterday in the rolling hills, well our version of hills. The descents were the toughest part. I either had to attack them or ride the brakes, I need more work on a smooth spin.

I see the day coming when I'll be able to ride with the groups on the Wabi. Not quite there yet.