Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Diverge 2018

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-17, 12:51 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by moe79
The under mount water bottle is silly in my opinion. Maybe for road touring or something, but if I just had to bolt something down there, I don't think it would be a water bottle. Even on the road the bottle would get plastered with dead worms and crap.
This thread has been gold.

Fuggo adams apple bikes interlaced with mystified comments about how to utilize a 3rd bottle cage.

1- it can be used to store stuff using an anything/anywhere salsa/blackburn cage.
2- it can hold water which can then be easily poured into an empty bottle occupying one of the other cages.
3- it can hold a tube, multitool, snack, etc.

Just use a velcro wrap to secure a full water bottle to the downtube as cages werent designed to hold weight with the front lip pointing down.

There is simply no reason to drink from bottles with worm crap caked on.
Old 06-15-17, 02:17 PM
bh85

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by curttard
Really? Looks more midnight blue there.

Here's the E5 Comp in graphite/black from the website, looks very boring:

Guess the other pic just got hit by the light in the perfect way.
I kind of like it. I don't like bright bikes. Good specs but price is still a little high, 1800. I was hoping for 1600.
Old 06-15-17, 04:40 PM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by vinuneuro
Most of all this is now squarely a gravel bike, whereas the previous one perfectly straddled the line between road and gravel. I guess Spec has abandoned the type of bike they inspired Trek and Focus to build in the Domane SL/R and Paralane. Understandable since many wanted more tire clearance. Shame that now you have to choose between road and gravel with the Roubaix and Diverge. Their N=1 bike died after one gen.
Yeah, I kind of agree with this. It's looks to me like it's clearly a gravel bike, whereas the previous iteration was more of a versatile road bike with off-road sensibilities. I suppose it makes sense from a marketing perspective, but it makes the new Diverge much less appealing to me. I may look for a 2016 if there are any models left that would work for me.

One thing I'll grant though: the new models have way more appealing colour schemes!
Old 06-15-17, 05:21 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by winston63
Yeah, I kind of agree with this. It's looks to me like it's clearly a gravel bike, whereas the previous iteration was more of a versatile road bike with off-road sensibilities. I suppose it makes sense from a marketing perspective, but it makes the new Diverge much less appealing to me. I may look for a 2016 if there are any models left that would work for me.

One thing I'll grant though: the new models have way more appealing colour schemes!
Yeah, I like my '17 better. They look sleeker than these new ones. I see the Zertz fork is gone.
Old 06-15-17, 05:29 PM
curttard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by vinuneuro
Shame that now you have to choose between road and gravel with the Roubaix and Diverge. Their N=1 bike died after one gen.
What is the problem with riding the 2018 Diverge on the road?
Old 06-15-17, 05:32 PM
winston63 

Originally Posted by Lazyass
Yeah, I like my '17 better. They look sleeker than these new ones. I see the Zertz fork is gone.
Yeah they've gone with the Future Shock instead. I don't mind that per se, but it does add weight.

Though it really works amazingly well based on my experience with the Roubaix.

And, your post reminds me that I meant to say that I'm going to look for a 2017 model, not a 2016.
Old 06-15-17, 05:44 PM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by winston63
Yeah they've gone with the Future Shock instead.
Not on the lower end aluminum ones. Now if they had the Future Shock that would be a major plus.
Old 06-15-17, 05:56 PM
Lazyass

What is the problem with riding the 2018 Diverge on the road?
Look at the geometry. Totally different than the previous ones. On my '17 I have the stem slammed and only a 2 inch saddle/bar drop, and that's with 8 1/2 inches of seatpost sticking up. The '18 is 9mm taller. Wheelbase is longer, HT angle slacker, more fork rake, more trail.... It's a completely different bike.

I do see the Claris group is new this year with internal shift cables.

Last edited by Lazyass; 06-15-17 at 05:59 PM.
Old 06-15-17, 06:11 PM
curttard

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Look at the geometry. Totally different than the previous ones. On my '17 I have the stem slammed and only a 2 inch saddle/bar drop, and that's with 8 1/2 inches of seatpost sticking up. The '18 is 9mm taller. Wheelbase is longer, HT angle slacker, more fork rake, more trail.... It's a completely different bike.

I do see the Claris group is new this year with internal shift cables.
Sure, but doesn't sacrificing some aero while making it much more capable on unpaved surfaces mean it is at least as versatile as the 2017 if not moreso? It was never a race bike, but a road for long, comfortable rides. It seems like now it will be even more comfortable without sacrificing too much speed, and much stronger offroad.
Old 06-15-17, 06:19 PM
Lazyass

Sure, but doesn't sacrificing some aero while making it much more capable on unpaved surfaces mean it is at least as versatile as the 2017 if not moreso? It was never a race bike, but a road for long, comfortable rides. It seems like now it will be even more comfortable without sacrificing too much speed, and much stronger offroad.
When you have only a 2 inch saddle to bar drop max (and can get the bars higher than the saddle if you want) and can fit a 38c tire, then you either need to see a doctor if you aren't comfortable or just toughen up. How much stronger off road it will be I don't know, but I doubt it will be a huge difference. Just seems like a more sluggish bike now. Don't like it one bit. If I was riding strictly off road maybe.
Old 06-15-17, 06:36 PM
winston63 

Not on the lower end aluminum ones. Now if they had the Future Shock that would be a major plus.
Wow - I didn't notice that. I'm surprised they didn't retain the Zertz for models withouth the Future Shock.
Old 06-15-17, 09:35 PM
Sullalto

Bikes: Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Why would you only put one eyelet on the forks? C'mon, give us two so people can carry more water than they probably need easily!
Old 06-16-17, 03:03 AM
wheelhot

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix, 2007 Giant Anthem, Polygon Quatro

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bh85
I kind of like it. I don't like bright bikes. Good specs but price is still a little high, 1800. I was hoping for 1600.
Yeah, luckily they have that colour, or else I'll go blah. Though I wished they retained 2017 Orange, that colour is awesome!

Though, I can't help but wonder why 9r instead of 10r, cost cutting perhaps? As with the CGR and FS, a stiffer but lighter carbon layout wouldn't be a problem.

And I wonder what's the weight of the E5 Comp, and I noticed DSW is absent from all the aluminium models, another cost cutting? Or are they scrapping the DSW tag line.

Wheelbase is longer, HT angle slacker, more fork rake, more trail.... It's a completely different bike.
Hmm, guess it'll be a more stable bike even on the road, though probably more sluggish? I wonder if the sluggishness can be offset with a high PSI tyres since the FS and CG-R will reduce any rough road patches.

And I get where you're coming from, as I too will be using it more on the road than off road. So now it'll be either the Diverge or Roubaix. Though how does the new Diverge geometry compare to the Open UP or 3T Exploro, as the new Diverge certainly seems to be able to configure just like the UP or Exploro.
Old 06-16-17, 05:20 AM
curttard

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelhot
I noticed DSW is absent from all the aluminium models, another cost cutting? Or are they scrapping the DSW tag line.
I'm wondering about that too. They do seem to be cheaper than last year's corresponding models. The E5 with Tiagra is $1150 now, while last year's comparable E5 Elite DSW was $1450.
Old 06-16-17, 08:03 AM
Chader09

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They claim that the 9r carbon is used to give more compliance than the 10r.

Not sure why you think it will be more sluggish? The obvious issue is tire size, but any bike will feel slower with a larger tire like these. The geo is not race-bike short and steep, so it may feel a bit slower in turns by comparison. But I suspect it will ride just fine.

The only issue I see in using the new bike on the road is the fact that the low BB will make pedal strikes more likely if pedaling in a steep lean during a turn.
Old 06-16-17, 09:43 AM
wheelhot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chader09
They claim that the 9r carbon is used to give more compliance than the 10r.
Yeah, the 9r does give the most compliance but it's also the heaviest (and cheapest) carbon, and as I mentioned, with the Diverge having FutureShock and CG-R, compliance wouldn't be an issue.

Also, that doesn't explain why their S-Works gets the latest 11r.

Specialized Tarmac Road Bikes With FACT 9r, 10r vs 11r Carbon

Not sure why you think it will be more sluggish? The obvious issue is tire size, but any bike will feel slower with a larger tire like these. The geo is not race-bike short and steep, so it may feel a bit slower in turns by comparison. But I suspect it will ride just fine.
I guess when I say sluggish, it's more related to the bike feeling less stiffness. Cause that's what I read some reviewers felt when testing the 9r Diverge, this is in contrast to those who tested the Roubaix (10r) and commended on the frame stiffness allows the bike to feel sharp and agile despite the weight increase due to FutureShock

The only issue I see in using the new bike on the road is the fact that the low BB will make pedal strikes more likely if pedaling in a steep lean during a turn.
Wouldn't this only be an issue if you used 32/28mm wheels? Cause the new bike is designed with a sweet spot at 38mm or so I read. Though all the alu models comes with a 30mm stock. Haha
Old 06-16-17, 09:50 AM
wheelhot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For those interested, I created a comparison table between 2018 and 2017 Diverge

It appears that for 2018, Specialized broaden the choices as we now have an additional carbon and aluminium model for each price point.

For those who wanted a carbon bike, 2018 proves to be a good year to get it as the entry price point is much lower, though having to upgrade to 105 + hydros, and possibly CG-R might make the cost closer to the 2017 Diverge Comp

For those wanting the aluminium version with FS, your only choice is the top end aluminium which is $350 more than 2017 DSW model, does seem like a bummer but you do get 105.

If you don't care about FS, 2017 DSW might be a better model as you get a higher grade mech disc brake. Compliance between 2 models will be difficult to say as DSW is supposed to bring carbon performance to alu and none of the 2018 models come with DSW, but the redesign seatstays (similar to BMC and other Spesh models), probably is as compliant or slightly more then 2017 DSW.

The biggest gain would be the entry level Diverge as from past year reviews, there's a difference between A1 and E5 grade aluminum.

Since they're 2 possible value errors, I guess it's safe to assume that all the 2018 models has a top tube length of 561mm and that the standover height for the aluminum models are 781mm

The yellow boxes represent the difference between the 2018 model, I didn't highlight the difference with 2017 Diverge as both the DSW and carbon shares the same value and lets face it, those are the ones that people care about (sorry A1)

From the chart, we can see that there's a big difference in values between the 2018 Carbon and Aluminum model, this is probably due to the carbon model accepting up to 42mm clearance and 38mm for aluminum if I'm not mistaken.

It's quite interesting that the carbon model has a slightly shorter chainstay length then the alu model (-4mm) considering the increase maximum tyre clearance of the carbon model and quite impressive even with the increase tyre clearance, the carbon wheelbase is the same with 2017 Diverge and the 2018 alu only adds an additional +3mm.

I guess it's safe to say that the 2018 Diverge will feel more stable then the 2017 Diverge due to the increase chainstay length and lower BB?

I'm not sure if this is a mistake, but the carbon diverge has an awfully high bike standover height, perhaps the measurement is done with the largest tyre? And why is the 2018 Aluminium Diverge lower than 2017 Diverge?

Last edited by wheelhot; 06-16-17 at 10:29 AM.
Old 06-16-17, 10:12 AM
Chader09

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, the 9r does give the most compliance but it's also the heaviest (and cheapest) carbon, and as I mentioned, with the Diverge having FutureShock and CG-R, compliance wouldn't be an issue.

Also, that doesn't explain why their S-Works gets the latest 11r.

Specialized Tarmac Road Bikes With FACT 9r, 10r vs 11r Carbon

I guess when I say sluggish, it's more related to the bike feeling less stiffness. Cause that's what I read some reviewers felt when testing the 9r Diverge, this is in contrast to those who tested the Roubaix (10r) and commended on the frame stiffness allows the bike to feel sharp and agile despite the weight increase due to FutureShock

Wouldn't this only be an issue if you used 32/28mm wheels? Cause the new bike is designed with a sweet spot at 38mm or so I read. Though all the alu models comes with a 30mm stock. Haha
The S-Works always gets the Gucci carbon, no matter the basic goals of the bike, so that makes sense to me.

I get you point on sluggish now. Yeah, it won't feel snappy like a race bike, but that is really the point of this bike. To make it more comfortable on less than ideal surfaces (crap roads and gravel specifically).

The BB drop is 85mm with the stock 38c tires. that is super low compared to just about every "road bike I have seen. They range around 70-75mm drop from what I have seen. That means you are already 10-15mm lower compared to a regular bike. So the stock setup is low for cornering. They did the low bb for stability on loos surfaces and it makes perfect sense. But as with anything, there is no change without compromise.

Then if you drop to 25-28c tires, you will be REALLY low.
Old 06-16-17, 10:19 AM
Chader09

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For those interested, I created a comparison table between 2018 and 2017 Diverge

Thanks for that. Are these for the 56cm bike size? Just good to know your reference.

You might want to flag the Stand Over on the carbon too. It seems outlandishly high to me.
Old 06-16-17, 10:21 AM
Lazyass

I was comparing the aluminum 54's, since that's the size I have. The differences are a little larger than what you posted.
Old 06-16-17, 10:30 AM
wheelhot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry, I was editing my post with my comments. And yes the size is 56cm (see top left)

And now that I see the table, I must say that the value of 2018 Diverge is pretty much the same as 2017 models (with some plus and minuses), so the cry that some people made that the new models are of poor value is not accurate, unless they're comparing with other brands like Canyon which Spesh won't be able to compete with due to different business model.

Thanks for that. Are these for the 56cm bike size? Just good to know your reference.

You might want to flag the Stand Over on the carbon too. It seems outlandishly high to me.
Yes, I was updating my post before you guys commented, please see it again

Last edited by wheelhot; 06-16-17 at 10:34 AM.
Old 06-16-17, 10:34 AM
curttard

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I hope one of the reviewers finds out what the difference is, if any, between these E5 bikes and the E5 DSW of last year.

Also, it's a real bummer that the E5s only allow 38mm tires instead of 42mm like the carbons.
Old 06-16-17, 10:37 AM
wheelhot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was comparing the aluminum 54's, since that's the size I have. The differences are a little larger than what you posted.
Well I'm only comparing 56s, but I checked 54s and the differences seems about the same (comparing 54 and 56 DSW) and (54 and 57 2018 Diverge)
Old 06-16-17, 10:49 AM
Lazyass

Well I'm only comparing 56s, but I checked 54s and the differences seems about the same (comparing 54 and 56 DSW) and (54 and 57 2018 Diverge)
The 54cm '18 headtube is 9mm taller, wheelbase 6mm longer, and there was a couple of other things. The HT length alone is a no go for me. My bars are already 1/2 inch higher than I normally have, and the stem is slammed. Love the thru axles, though. That alone is almost worth upgrading.
Old 06-16-17, 10:53 AM
wheelhot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The S-Works always gets the Gucci carbon, no matter the basic goals of the bike, so that makes sense to me.

I get you point on sluggish now. Yeah, it won't feel snappy like a race bike, but that is really the point of this bike. To make it more comfortable on less than ideal surfaces (crap roads and gravel specifically).

The BB drop is 85mm with the stock 38c tires. that is super low compared to just about every "road bike I have seen. They range around 70-75mm drop from what I have seen. That means you are already 10-15mm lower compared to a regular bike. So the stock setup is low for cornering. They did the low bb for stability on loos surfaces and it makes perfect sense. But as with anything, there is no change without compromise.

Then if you drop to 25-28c tires, you will be REALLY low.
Aah, I never did this comparison before (cause this time I'm planning to sell my first gen Giant Anthem for either a Diverge or Roubaix), so never realise the usual BB drop for an average road bike. And you mention pedal strike tendencies cause of the low BB, but wouldn't during turning, we'll raise up our left or right leg depending on the direction we turn to so the tendencies to pedal strike is pretty much null??

I hope one of the reviewers finds out what the difference is, if any, between these E5 bikes and the E5 DSW of last year.

Also, it's a real bummer that the E5s only allow 38mm tires instead of 42mm like the carbons.
You mean in terms of compliance? Not sure if they'll be able to do since the change in geometry, though my guess is E5 DSW will probably be lighter (excluding FutureShock) due to less weld putty?

And yeah, it's only 38mm tires for E5s, I wonder why. The plus side is, the entry level carbon is lower then last year though you do get 10 speed and upgrading to 105 11 speed will probably bring the price back to the 2017 Carbon Diverge

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.