Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Diverge 2018

Old 06-16-17, 10:58 AM
wheelhot

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix, 2007 Giant Anthem, Polygon Quatro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
The 54cm '18 headtube is 9mm taller, wheelbase 6mm longer, and there was a couple of other things. The HT length alone is a no go for me. My bars are already 1/2 inch higher than I normally have, and the stem is slammed. Love the thru axles, though. That alone is almost worth upgrading.
Wheelbase is expected to be longer due to the bigger clearance.

Though doesn't taller headtube is to compensate for the future shock unit? HT length is an odd one, even comparing between the 2017 Diverge 54s and 56s, I'm just surprised at how big the difference is.

I guess the biggest issue for you will be the bars already 1/2 higher than you normally have. If it's worth anything, I think I saw some pro 2017 Roubaix went for negative stem to offset the height of the future shock, but it's not a pretty sight

+1 on thru axles, that's why I waited for the 2018 model instead of getting the 2017 model with SCS
Old 06-16-17, 11:45 AM
vinuneuro

Bikes: 2016 Diverge Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Head tube length alone does not tell the whole story since it doesn't account for BB drop. Stack height is what gives a complete picture of your position on the bike, and they are wildly different from the previous one. 23mm taller stack height increase from the old bike is crazy. That's almost an inch taller! The 613 number doesn't look right since the carbon HT is only 15mm taller than the aluminum (which also doesn't seem right considering they look the same in pics), but Specialized assures that the published numbers are correct, which doesn't bode well.

2018 vs. 2017

Stack: 613 vs. 590 mm

Last edited by vinuneuro; 06-16-17 at 11:58 AM.
Old 06-16-17, 12:03 PM
Chader09

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelhot
Aah, I never did this comparison before (cause this time I'm planning to sell my first gen Giant Anthem for either a Diverge or Roubaix), so never realise the usual BB drop for an average road bike. And you mention pedal strike tendencies cause of the low BB, but wouldn't during turning, we'll raise up our left or right leg depending on the direction we turn to so the tendencies to pedal strike is pretty much null??
True, it's good practice to not pedal thru corners (and hold the outside pedal down), but many still do.

May not be an issue for many, but it is a very notable difference in stock form and even more so if people toss on regular sized road wheels.
Old 06-16-17, 12:20 PM
bh85

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
I still like my 2016 with small upgrade. If I buy one I would go with E5 105 model.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0142.jpg (93.6 KB, 460 views)
Old 06-16-17, 12:28 PM
rec

Bikes: allez, p21, raleigh sscx, rockhopper, sycip, centurion

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm not a fan of the increase in stack for 2018. I think stack is now measured taking the FS into account.
Old 06-16-17, 01:00 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by vinuneuro
Head tube length alone does not tell the whole story since it doesn't account for BB drop. Stack height is what gives a complete picture of your position on the bike, and they are wildly different from the previous one. 23mm taller stack height increase from the old bike is crazy. That's almost an inch taller! The 613 number doesn't look right since the carbon HT is only 15mm taller than the aluminum (which also doesn't seem right considering they look the same in pics), but Specialized assures that the published numbers are correct, which doesn't bode well.

2018 vs. 2017

Stack: 613 vs. 590 mm

Yeah, I didn't even look at the stack numbers. I haven't really looked into the gravel racing scene. Do the racers all sit upright or something?
Old 06-16-17, 05:00 PM
welwyngc

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by curttard
What is the problem with riding the 2018 Diverge on the road?
Not that I am too knowledgeable, but my 2016 Diverge Comp has 32mm tires, but the newly announced 2018 edition has 38mm as a standard. I would think that the extra width would not be as conducive to the road
Old 06-16-17, 05:24 PM
welwyngc

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by winston63
Yeah, I kind of agree with this. It's looks to me like it's clearly a gravel bike, whereas the previous iteration was more of a versatile road bike with off-road sensibilities. I suppose it makes sense from a marketing perspective, but it makes the new Diverge much less appealing to me. I may look for a 2016 if there are any models left that would work for me.

One thing I'll grant though: the new models have way more appealing colour schemes!
Agreed - confused by the change in direction - what is Specialized's product for this bike/gravel cross over now?
Old 06-16-17, 05:44 PM
curttard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by welwyngc
Not that I am too knowledgeable, but my 2016 Diverge Comp has 32mm tires, but the newly announced 2018 edition has 38mm as a standard. I would think that the extra width would not be as conducive to the road
There's nothing stopping you from putting on 32mm tires, though. Or smaller. 38mm is actually the limit for the aluminum 2018s; they come stock with 30 or 32.

Here is a visual comparison of the 2017 Elite DSW and the 2018 E5 Comp with Futureshock:

Old 06-16-17, 06:36 PM
Lazyass

A '17 frame with thru axles and Future Shock would have been perfect.
Old 06-16-17, 08:06 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I completely understand the concern some who prefer a low, racing position have with the increased stack height on the new Diverge. But for me, that is one of the best features of this new model (along with the Future Shock) and has me seriously considering buying one instead of the Sequoia I had been planning on. The stack on the 58 Diverge is roughly the same as what I have currently on my Large AWOL and on my custom Zukas road bike. I prefer a more upright bar position for gravel riding, plus, my neck mobility is severely limited requiring even my road bike's handlebar to be just a hair under saddle height so I can see farther ahead than just beyond my front tire.

Last edited by BluesDawg; 06-16-17 at 08:18 PM.
Old 06-17-17, 03:36 AM
wheelhot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The cartridge offers 20mm of travel between the stem and head tube, and adds 25mm to the bike’s stack height, but the head tube length is well judged to still allow for an aggressive position.
Mountain biking legend, former World Champion and Specialized Ambassador, Ned Overend — who has lost little of his speed and love of cycling — was at the launch and talked to us about the Diverge. He assessed it as a blast to ride quickly both on- and off-road, with an overall mass and tough accelerative wheelset that, with a tyre swap, wouldn’t be outpaced on fast road rides.
From our initial experience aboard the S-Works Diverge, we can’t disagree with Overend, but we will organise a more extensive test of the new Diverge as soon as possible.
Bike Radar Diverge First Look

Guess we have to wait for more reviews to see if Spesh nailed the geometry of the new Diverge, especially with the non-S-Works model as it's heavier than the previous model Diverge.

Talking about weight, it seems no one knows what the other models weigh as I only see the S-Works which is at 8.4kg (with Dropper)

My est. would be

~9.2kg for the carbon models
~10kg for the alu models?

Last edited by wheelhot; 06-17-17 at 03:39 AM.
Old 06-17-17, 03:51 AM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by BluesDawg
I completely understand the concern some who prefer a low, racing position have with the increased stack height on the new Diverge. But for me, that is one of the best features of this new model (along with the Future Shock) and has me seriously considering buying one instead of the Sequoia I had been planning on. The stack on the 58 Diverge is roughly the same as what I have currently on my Large AWOL and on my custom Zukas road bike. I prefer a more upright bar position for gravel riding, plus, my neck mobility is severely limited requiring even my road bike's handlebar to be just a hair under saddle height so I can see farther ahead than just beyond my front tire.
You can get the bars above the saddle on the old Diverge if you want. It doesn't have a low racing position. I'm 5'10" with a 33 inch inseam on a 54 when most people my size would be on a 56 and the top of the hoods are actually level with the saddle with the stem slammed.
Old 06-17-17, 06:40 AM
curttard

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
And a visual comparison of the 2017 Elite DSW and the comparably-specced (and no Futureshock) 2018 E5 Elite:

Old 06-17-17, 07:01 AM
wheelhot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm, looks like the DSW has nicer welds
Old 06-17-17, 08:47 AM
curttard

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hmm, looks like the DSW has nicer welds
Yes, that's a downer. And is it just cosmetic?

So for the 2018 Elite you get inferior welding, possibly inferior, heavier frame; and the same components as the 2017 Elite. Downgrade rather than upgrade. And for the same price! One would think the lack of DSW and the switch to standard wheels would lower the price rather than raise it.
Old 06-17-17, 09:01 AM
curttard

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The E5 Comp, which is the one I'm considering (along with the 2017 Elite DSW), had this written about it by CyclingAbout:

The best value-for-performance bike in the range has to be the Diverge Comp E5. You’re still getting the 20mm Future Shock and Shimano’s midrange 105 11-speed groupset. This model employs the brilliant TRP Spyre cable disc brakes which are known to be the best cable brakes around. The Praxis Alba crankset yields a 1:1 climbing ratio (26.8 gear inches) and the wheels are the same as those on the US $3000 Diverge Comp Carbon. All Diverge aluminium models come with 30mm wide tyres, presumedly so that they can be marketed as ‘capable’ road bikes too. Total weight is 9.80kg (21.6lbs) in size 54cm.
I'm not sure where they're getting the weight figures from, though.

From Cyclist:

Verdict: The innovative Specialized Diverge makes a leap forward to encompass virtually all the terrain you could imagine while remaining a road bike at heart.

I had the opportunity on my first ride of the Specialized Diverge to ride on fast roads, on technical gravel and even mountain bike trails in the hills of New Jersey.

The Diverge feels immediately like a nicely finished and highly tuned bike. The sizing is much in line with the Roubaix, with the Future Shock creating a high front end, while the wide tyres and lay-up choices all contribute to a very smooth ride.

The surprising impression with the Diverge is the responsiveness of the bike even with wide tyres at low psi. It is a strikingly light bike for its class, while the stiffness of the rear end sees it leap up to speed with impulses of power.

Moving over to the road, the Specailized S-Works Diverge is capable on the tarmac, even with the wide tyres at a low pressure. It cruises happily without any real sense of drag or sluggishness.

Much like the Open U.P, the Diverge offers a huge amount of fine tuning with regards to wheel and tyre choice. Trimming the tyres down to 32mm would make a big difference to the overall speed.

I would be eager to put the Diverge to the test on a narrower tyre width at higher pressure to see how it fares against serious endurance bikes.

Given the weight and the all around stiffness, I’m confident that it would be able to sit happily in amongst a decent paced group ride.

Last edited by curttard; 06-17-17 at 09:07 AM.
Old 06-17-17, 11:09 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
You can get the bars above the saddle on the old Diverge if you want. It doesn't have a low racing position. I'm 5'10" with a 33 inch inseam on a 54 when most people my size would be on a 56 and the top of the hoods are actually level with the saddle with the stem slammed.
True, but with the limited tire clearance of the previous Diverge, it had no place in my lineup. I already have a road bike that will run 32mm tires with plenty of room to spare. In fact, I'm running 30/32 Roubaix Pro tires (tubeless) on it now. The new Diverge with room for 700cX42 or 650bX47, fits right in as my primary gravel bike. Being able to set it up to fit me well without having to resort to a stack of spacers and/or an extremely upward slanting stem is also nice. The Future Shock is another big plus for me and makes up for not being able to run even larger volume tires.

I'm strongly considering the Diverge Sport Carbon. I have a set of Roval carbon 29er wheels I can use (with a 15mm-12mm reducer shim from MTB Tools) and I was already building a set of 650b wheels with WTB i23 Frequency rims and a generator front hub. The 10 speed Tiagra is a good enough component set. If I like the bike enough, I might consider upgrading to a Campagnolo Potenza hydro group and a White Industries crank a year or so down the line.

Last edited by BluesDawg; 06-18-17 at 03:01 AM.
Old 06-17-17, 11:22 AM
wheelhot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by curttard
Yes, that's a downer. And is it just cosmetic?

So for the 2018 Elite you get inferior welding, possibly inferior, heavier frame; and the same components as the 2017 Elite. Downgrade rather than upgrade. And for the same price! One would think the lack of DSW and the switch to standard wheels would lower the price rather than raise it.
I don't think the welding will be inferior (strength wise) but it'll be heavier due to the putty as if you watched the whole DSW promo video back then, they mentioned they can use less welding putty cause of the tube shapes. So this is more inline to traditional welding.

Both DSW and the 2018 Diverge uses E5, so the aluminium quality will be the same. But yeah, if you're not going for the future shock model, based on the chart I posted, the DSW model will be a better buy (cause of the components as well), though you'll end up with QR SCS on the rear and even less tyre clearance.

Compliance wise I think both will be the same as the dropped seat stays in 2018 Diverge is a proven design and not only by Spesh, even BMC and etc. has similar dropped seat stay, not to mention, it's thinner which naturally means more flex.

So all in all, the noticeable difference will probably be cosmetic and probably a few hundred grams heavier between, E5 DSW and E5

---

Btw, how sure are you that cyclist tested the E5 Diverge and not 9r Diverge?
Old 06-17-17, 11:32 AM
wheelhot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm, in terms of stack and reach number, the 2018 Alu Diverge is quite similar to 2017 Diverge.

Also I'm still waiting for the official weight, I'm guessing the site that reported the weight is estimating it based on past year Diverge and S-Works Diverge

The pros for 2018 Diverge is it seems all models will be able to mount racks front and rear whereas 2017 only DSW is able to mount rear racks
Old 06-17-17, 04:31 PM
wheelhot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some more shots of the E5 Comp

https://www.chainreaction.co.nz/collections/new-2018-specialized-diverge

What do you think?
Old 06-17-17, 05:44 PM
Lazyass

If I wanted a new one I would get an E5 Comp. Flat mounts are another plus. I would like to test ride one and see how it compares on the road.
Old 06-17-17, 06:02 PM
Lazyass

New geometry

The Diverge gets a more stabile Open Road geometry good for gravel and rough roads. With a bottom bracket that's over a half centimeter lower, a slacker head angle, shorter chainstays and shorter wheelbase, the new Diverge is not only fun in the gravel, but also performs well on the road.

They say it has shorter chainstays and wheelbase, but they're longer.
Old 06-17-17, 08:32 PM
curttard

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Btw, how sure are you that cyclist tested the E5 Diverge and not 9r Diverge?
Oh, it's not. Didn't mean to imply that it was. It's just a review of the 2018 Diverge, in this case one of the carbon ones.

Last edited by curttard; 06-17-17 at 10:30 PM.
Old 06-17-17, 10:35 PM
wheelhot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They say it has shorter chainstays and wheelbase, but they're longer.
Not sure if you saw my post on Page 3, but the 2018 Carbon Diverge has the same wheelbase as 2017 Diverge, with the exception of 2018 Alu Diverge being 3mm longer.

Both the Carbon and Alu has a longer chainstay than the 2017 models, but that is expected due to the increase tyre clearance.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.