Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Bending Head Lug Ideas Needed

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Old 05-18-19, 06:17 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts

I made bending rods for the DT, ST, ST. To bend the head lugs my thoughts are to slide both upper and lugs onto a head tube and insert bending rods into the lugs and bend to needed angle. Is this how you all do it? The angle on both lugs needs to be more acute.
Old 05-18-19, 08:51 AM
8aaron8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Indeed, I like to also use clamps to hold down the tangs while I do the prying.
Old 05-18-19, 04:13 PM
TiHabanero

Nuts, it did not work out so well. The bottom head lug ended up rocking on the head tube and getting the tang that located on the underside of the down tube didn't bend due to so much movement. I am attempting to bend the tang down toward the front wheel if it were in place. I will see if I can clamp the lug to the head tube to keep it from rocking.

On another topic, had a great 30 miler today. Knocked off early and took advantage of a day without rain.
Old 05-18-19, 05:25 PM
wsteve464

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
Can you tack the HT lug to the headtube then bend? Then remove and clean up when done bending
Old 05-18-19, 08:43 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
How much angle change are you aiming for? A degree or 3 isn't too hard but more gets tricky. Grinding away some of the socket's ID is a first method. Cutting out wedges of a lug's "crotch" can help and brazing the cut back together after the angle is met is one option. Making one's own lugs is another. Fillet removes the need for lugs all together. Andy
Old 05-19-19, 11:15 AM
TiHabanero

Unfortunately fillet is not an option as I this is only the 4th frame. Got the bottom head lug to move 1.5 degrees, and am not sure how much bending the thing can take. The BB shell was super easy and was able to move it 6 degrees. 8aaron8, clamping the HT to the lug made a difference as it kept the lug from rocking and the bend took. Going to attach in inside of the lug now and see what can be done.