Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Trek DS owners thread

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Trek DS owners thread

Old 06-10-19, 06:46 PM
DSL6
Trek DS Fan

Bikes: Trek 8.2 DS / Trek DS 4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Today, I installed a couple of upgrades to the 8.2. Front derailleur from Tourney to Altus and rear derailleur from Altus to Acera. Still need to get them dialed in. (Thanks to Park Tools videos!) Tomorrow, I am installing a new BB and a Shimano freewheel.

I had been looking at older bikes and new/old frames for a build but decided to do the 8.2 up at this time. I may do a build this winter. An old frame with new components would be kinda cool. Kinda like what I'm doing. I really enjoy tinkering with bikes now that I have plenty of time and a DS 4 to ride while I'm working on the 8.2
Old 06-10-19, 07:04 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
Originally Posted by Sumal86
As I have disc brakes I know I should use that one but I have also looked at the Deluxe version. Now I can’t seem to find anywhere if the Deluxe version will fit on the Dual Sport bikes? Can anyone help?
You most likely do not need a disc-specific rack. They are designed with a wider stance/mount at the bottom to clear disc brake calipers as they were traditionally mounted (on top of the seat stay). However, most modern bikes, including the Trek DS, have the caliper mounted on the chain stay; this is down below where the rack mounts, so a standard rack works well. In fact, you will probably prefer a standard rack because it's not as bulky down at the frame mount.

I recommend the Topeak MTX series racks and bags. The racks and trunk bags are top-shelf stuff. I have two racks, one on each of my primary bikes, and one of their DXP bags. I simply click the bag into the bike I'm taking that day and off I go.

For the kickstand, I would absolutely recommend the one Trek sells for the bike. I don't have any experience with it, but I'm sure it's good (and it'll fit perfectly). I have a Giant accessory kickstand on my Roam, which mounts directly to the frame similar to how the DS is designed. The fit and function is perfect.
Old 06-20-19, 02:29 PM
Nicktrek8.4

Bikes: Trek DS 8.4

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I’ve fitted a pletscher double legged stand. I used an old inner tube to stop it scratching the paintwork as the Ds isn’t built with a centre mounting plate, but it works perfectly! Bike maintenance is easy with this stand too!
Old 06-20-19, 02:34 PM
Nicktrek8.4

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Also I have a Topeak disc specific rack and really want to change it as it’s to big, really widens the rear unnecessarily. As mentioned before about the Caliper mounting doesn’t need a disc specific rack, I found it made locking the bike more difficult as I needed a longer chain due to not being able to put the bike close enough to the pole/rail
Old 06-20-19, 02:43 PM
Nicktrek8.4

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I agree that the frame would be nicer if it had a tapered head tube. But that being said I upgraded to a new rockshox 30 rl gold and it’s brilliant! A bit ott now tho and wanting to change for a rockshox paragon
Old 06-20-19, 09:39 PM
neal03

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chain guard

I Have 2018 DS, Can I remove the chain guard and will I have problems if I do. I don’t care for how it looks.
Old 06-21-19, 01:39 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by neal03
I Have 2018 DS, Can I remove the chain guard and will I have problems if I do. I don’t care for how it looks.

The only problem you might encounter is a greasy leg.
Old 06-21-19, 11:27 AM
fat2fit

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Is that the plastic covering the front chain ring?
Old 06-21-19, 11:34 AM
DSL6
Trek DS Fan

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
If you mean the rear guard, yes. But you will need a cassette tool and chain wrench unless you want to chop it off from behind. I've done that too but it can be a pain. Much easier with the tools.
Old 06-21-19, 12:45 PM
Jac of Hearts

Bikes: 2012 Trek Dual Sport 8.5 Gary Fisher Collection

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neal03 View Post

Originally Posted by DSL6
If you mean the rear guard, yes. But you will need a cassette tool and chain wrench unless you want to chop it off from behind. I've done that too but it can be a pain. Much easier with the tools.
Doesn't that keep the chain out of the spokes if your rear cassette is out of adjustment?
Old 06-21-19, 12:47 PM
DSL6
Trek DS Fan

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jac of Hearts
Quote:

Doesn't that keep the chain out of the spokes if your rear cassette is out of adjustment?
Yes. But, I've taken them off numerous bikes. Just make sure your stop is set right.
Old 06-21-19, 01:08 PM
fat2fit

Originally Posted by Jac of Hearts
Quote:

Yes. Most higher end bikes don't even have them on. Lots of people remove them because "it looks cooler" - they call it a noob disc or something like that. I personally keep mine on because I don't really give a **** and feel like it serves a purpose lol
Old 06-22-19, 01:22 AM
Zmija

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vitarra
I was about to buy a DS but was put off by components, lack of tapered head ( most suspensions are tapered these days so no future proof) , Duotrap only S version (which looks old on new frame) overall Trek used to be good but now is way behind competition with its components and old fashioned solutions. If you look at Giant Roam 0 or Kross Evado 10.0 then the latest DS bike looks like their grandfather )
Hi. I'am new here and this is my first post. Totally agree with Your opinion, Sir. But on Giant Roam you feel like grandfather riding super cool machine. On DS you just feel supercool. The Wild Bunch would ride DS!

cheers
Old 06-23-19, 02:04 AM
vitarra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well..

Originally Posted by Zmija
Hi. I'am new here and this is my first post. Totally agree with Your opinion, Sir. But on Giant Roam you feel like grandfather riding super cool machine. On DS you just feel supercool. The Wild Bunch would ride DS!

cheers
It all depends on adjustments. When I rode Trek M size felt too small and L too big that's why I decided on Giant which feels just right. All my mountain bikes where Trek but hybrid just didn't feel ok for me. Giant frame is basically copy of Trek )
Old 06-28-19, 12:18 PM
BiciMan

Bikes: '97 Bianchi CDI, '97 Specialized RockHopper, '13 Specialized Sirrus Pro, '13 Trek 8.5 DS, '13 BH EasyMotion NeoXtrem, '14 Trek Domane, '86 Schwinn AirDyne ;)

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by vitarra
I was about to buy a DS but was put off by components, lack of tapered head ( most suspensions are tapered these days so no future proof) , Duotrap only S version (which looks old on new frame) overall Trek used to be good but now is way behind competition with its components and old fashioned solutions. If you look at Giant Roam 0 or Kross Evado 10.0 then the latest DS bike looks like their grandfather )
The Roam 0 costs a third more than the DS4, and should spec higher. Trek probably figures or has learned too-few hybrid buyers will spend the extra $$. The roam has a better shock, but the DS4 still has internal cable routing and that remote lockout which I've always liked on my 8.5. And Duotrap S is still better than no integrated ant+ support option. I didn't have it on my 2013, but I really appreciate it on my Domane. Still, both bikes are nice and they may both come off the same Taiwan assembly line.
Old 06-29-19, 10:13 PM
neal03

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hybrid Tires

I currently have Schwalbe Landcruiser 700x40c I ride 75% on road and 25% on light trail, hard pack, fire roads.
Any recommendations for new tires?

Last edited by neal03; 07-02-19 at 08:21 PM.
Old 07-02-19, 01:28 PM
urbanOrange

Bikes: 2020 Trek FX Sport 4, 2014 Specialized Sirrus Elite Disc

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Exclamation

Hi all. I just noticed TREK updated their Australian site with the new 2020 DS 3:
https://www.trekbikes.com/au/en_AU/b...colorCode=grey
Old 07-02-19, 07:31 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanOrange
Hi all. I just noticed TREK updated their Australian site with the new 2020 DS 3:
https://www.trekbikes.com/au/en_AU/b...colorCode=grey
They had the same colour for 2019 too.
Old 07-03-19, 10:06 AM
fat2fit

Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
They had the same colour for 2019 too.
I like my black 2019 DS2. I wish they'll release a matte black or graphite color for the Dual Sport. Not a huge fan of the gray or yellow.
Old 07-03-19, 03:51 PM
fat2fit

Can anyone make a recommendation for new, larger pedals? The ones that came on my DS2 are too small for my big ass feet. Thanks
Old 07-03-19, 05:57 PM
LesG

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 12 Posts
For reference, my shoe size is 12 (U.S.). I bought these for my DS3 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

However I did not pay 140 bucks for them but more like 80.00 and I'm sure you could still find them in that lower price range. That was about a year ago. These pedals are wider than the stock ones that came on my bike and plenty wide for my feet. For the riding I do (fitness, rail/trails and MUPs) those little nubs that stick up just a bit grab the soles of my shoes just enough that my feet don't slide around at all. You can remove the washers and make those nubs higher if you need more grab. So far they've been pretty much bomb proof after about 1700 miles. If you're a gram/oz. counter these probably wouldn't work for you.
Old 07-03-19, 09:10 PM
fat2fit

Originally Posted by LesG
For reference, my shoe size is 12 (U.S.). I bought these for my DS3 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

However I did not pay 140 bucks for them but more like 80.00 and I'm sure you could still find them in that lower price range. That was about a year ago. These pedals are wider than the stock ones that came on my bike and plenty wide for my feet. For the riding I do (fitness, rail/trails and MUPs) those little nubs that stick up just a bit grab the soles of my shoes just enough that my feet don't slide around at all. You can remove the washers and make those nubs higher if you need more grab. So far they've been pretty much bomb proof after about 1700 miles. If you're a gram/oz. counter these probably wouldn't work for you.
Yeah that's kinda the size pedal I want. How is the quality of these $30 pedals vs these $100+? Im in Canada so that's like almost $200 for pedals, hell nah lol.
Old 07-04-19, 06:52 AM
LesG

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 12 Posts
I really couldn't speak to the quality of the $30 pedals but I can say the ones I mentioned above have been great. My wife, even though she doesn't ride as much as I do, liked mine so much we had to order her a set of them too... even though her feet aren't anywhere close to being as large as mine.

Do a "copy and paste" of the pedal model from the link I gave and then go shopping elsewhere... if you're interested in them that is. I quickly just did that and found the same pedals in the $67 to $80 (U.S.) range outside of amazon. I wouldn't pay 140 bucks (U.S.) for them either or any pedals for that matter. I looked at my order history on Amazon and saw that I paid 68.00 bucks for them August, 2018.
Old 07-05-19, 09:23 AM
The Snowman

Bikes: 2017 Trek DS3

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by fat2fit
Can anyone make a recommendation for new, larger pedals? The ones that came on my DS2 are too small for my big ass feet. Thanks
If you're looking for really big flat pedals, try Pedaling Innovations Catalyst pedals.

I used to use them before switching to a hybrid clipless/flat pedal and they were pretty nice.

I now use the Funn Mamba One-Sided pedals, which are also wide and have a flat side and a clipless SDP side.
Old 07-05-19, 03:32 PM
fat2fit

Originally Posted by The Snowman
If you're looking for really big flat pedals, try Pedaling Innovations Catalyst pedals.

I used to use them before switching to a hybrid clipless/flat pedal and they were pretty nice.

I now use the Funn Mamba One-Sided pedals, which are also wide and have a flat side and a clipless SDP side.
Thanks for the reply. I don't plan to wear clips, ever, and I don't want too big of pedals lol. I was looking at something like this: https://www.amazon.ca/RockBros-Lightweight-Mountain-Bicycle-Platform/dp/B07CWRQQGD/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=bike+pedal&qid=1562362169&s=gateway&sr=8-7

or (https://www.amazon.ca/Mongoose-Mountain-Bike-Pedal-Pedals/dp/B071FG54V6/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=bike+pedal&qid=1562362169&s=gateway&sr=8-5)

Both are 9/16"x 1/2"

The ones that came stock on my bike are narrower, something along the lines of:
https://www.amazon.ca/Bell-Kicks-Universal-Nylon-Pedal/dp/B00I6AVDS4/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=bike+pedal&qid=1562362169&s=gateway&sr=8-6

I don't really care that they're plastic vs metal, I'd assume the nylon is probably stronger and won't bend anyway. Just honestly looking for a cheap fix to widen my pedal, I like those Mongoose ones because they have reflectors on them still.

Do expensive pedals really make a difference?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.