Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Ketogenic "Keto" Diet?

Old 05-07-19, 11:49 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Yendor72
Weighed in again at 206 this morning, had to pull my belt another notch tighter this morning too. What is going on? My legs are more muscular, but I don't think that much, or are they?
Weight alone is a "dumb" measurement since it doesn't tell you what type of weight you're measuring. Could be fat? Could be muscle? Could be water? You need weight and something else.
Old 05-07-19, 01:30 PM
Yendor72

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2016 Framed Wolftrax

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Weight alone is a "dumb" measurement since it doesn't tell you what type of weight you're measuring. Could be fat? Could be muscle? Could be water? You need weight and something else.
When you're 5'6" and over 200 lbs weight is a factor that has merit. While that may not be true for everyone, for me weight is very important. Even shredded up and muscular I should only be about 180lbs, that's not me.
Old 05-31-19, 07:20 AM
Podagrower

Bikes: Giant Defy Composite, Spechialized Ruby (hers), Niner RLT9, Miyata 712, Condor ??

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
It's just a number (well 4 of them) and it doesn't tell the entire story for sure. But I can't remember the last time my weight was under 250, and this is the second week in a row that I am. I hovered at 252 for a long time, but I've been riding a lot and could tell I was building muscle in my legs and loosing fat around my middle so the scale not moving was only a small irritation.

Another thing that occurred to me last night while doing intervals was the change in fuel for my body. When I first went low carb, I still had endurance, but I had no reserve for short bursts, any incline during a ride resulted in screaming legs, being spit out the back of the group, or both. I haven't had that in a long time, I'm not sure which is the bigger factor-becoming fat adapted or weekly intervals building more muscle-but I'm enjoying the benefits.
Old 05-31-19, 07:41 AM
Aahzz

Bikes: '17 Trek FX2, '19 Trek FX 3 Disc

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 214 Times in 87 Posts
Started Keto 10 days ago, the most amazing thing is how good my blood sugar has gotten . Weight is coming off, blood sugar is in a great range, and I had no Keto Flu...I am happy so far .
Old 05-31-19, 11:54 AM
KraneXL

When you're 5'6" and over 200 lbs weight is a factor that has merit. While that may not be true for everyone, for me weight is very important. Even shredded up and muscular I should only be about 180lbs, that's not me.
My point is, we can't see you. So when you say your weight (alone) is 200 lbs, we don't know whether your frame is 5'6 or 6'6. One would be considered overweight, the other, skinny.

Simple stated, weight needs to always come as a ratio with height to be meaningful. Although we can make assumptions from the thread, the more information, the better.

On the other hand, the best single figure measurement would be body fat %. That figure can more generally stand all by itself, since its significant at any height.
Likes For KraneXL:
Old 05-31-19, 12:48 PM
Sablerider

Bikes: Trek 7.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sticking to it

I have started doing keto about 2 weeks ago and I want to get back on my bike this summer. What are some realistic goal I can stick to? 100 miles a month?

For example I normally start exercising really strong but fall off do to life and such.

How do I balance wanting to lose weight bad and not burn out and end up gaining more weight in the process?
Old 06-02-19, 07:20 PM
pwomble

Bikes: Cannondale Quick CX4, Cannondale Trail SL-2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pwomble
I'm three days into my third week of Keto. I am down from 351 to 338. I'm sticking to under 20g of carbs a day and logging all of my food in Carb Manager. So far so good...
Three months down the Keto path. My weight this morning was 314. My first goal of sub-300 pounds is in sight. I did not take any measurements when I started but I am having to buy new clothes!
Old 06-02-19, 07:44 PM
Jac of Hearts

Bikes: 2012 Trek Dual Sport 8.5 Gary Fisher Collection

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 46 Posts
I started LCHF, ketoish, in February of 2016. I weighed 355 lbs at 5'7". I did it to cut my diabetes and lower my a1c. My intention was never to lose weight but guess what?

For reference my a1c was 7.1 with 3 500mg metformin 3 x a day.. As my bs dropped I dropped my meds until with 3 months I took none. Of course I'm not advocating this for anyone under a doctors care. It worked for me. My current a1c is 4.8 and has been under 5.2 for 2 1/2 years now.

Last year at this time I was thrilled to be at a weight where I could actually be back on a bike. I bought a Gary Fisher Mako from a friend and started riding it. Last May I rode 36.27 miles and weighted 295.7 lbs.

This May I sold the Mako and bought a Trek DS8.5. I rode 87 miles this May and this afternoon I weighed 275.7 lbs. after my ride. I guess that's progress.

My June goal is 100 miles and under 270. That's my keto story.
Old 06-02-19, 08:02 PM
MartinezNYC
Club Sohoku

Bikes: 2003 Trek 2000 SL, 2008 Gary Fisher Utopia, 2011 Gary Fisher Rumblefish, 2015 GT Richochet

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Aahzz
Started Keto 10 days ago, the most amazing thing is how good my blood sugar has gotten . Weight is coming off, blood sugar is in a great range, and I had no Keto Flu...I am happy so far .
I used a brand called Propel, think Gatorade owns them but they make electrolytes powder with no carbs which was great on keto and especially when I did get the keto flu.
Likes For MartinezNYC:
Old 06-03-19, 10:05 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Sablerider
I have started doing keto about 2 weeks ago and I want to get back on my bike this summer. What are some realistic goal I can stick to? 100 miles a month?

For example I normally start exercising really strong but fall off do to life and such.

How do I balance wanting to lose weight bad and not burn out and end up gaining more weight in the process?
Losing weight quick is cool, but to sustain it you have to break the habits that got you to that weight gain. Depending on how long you've had those bad habits, and your personal fortitude, they can be a hard thing to break forever. The severe change that leads to quick weight loss makes it something that is harder to sustain in the long term. Some can do it but most can't and end up bouncing back. Make changes that are far more sustainable and focus on some sort of goal, and keep shifting the goal posts to keep things going.

As for on the bike, it's personal. I did a whole lot more than 100mi/month myself, but it depends on where you're at with fitness and what kind of riding you like to do. I like faster bunch riding and racing, so I do more miles in line with that. Some people just like to cruise around and "smell the roses" and that's fine too. Just do what works for you and try and get something consistent going. Remember that that exercise is every bit as good for the mind as it is for the body
Old 06-04-19, 07:17 AM
CMBravo

Bikes: Fuji Altamira 1.3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sablerider

I went from 277 lbs to 209 lbs.I still need to lose more weight . am 5.7 feet tall. (66 yrs)If you are starting out from scratch ,you should listen to your body. tRY TO RIDE 3-4 TIMES A WEEK . Set goals according to your endurance ability. I would think 10-15 mile per ride is doable. challenge yourself .Good luck!
Old 06-04-19, 08:59 PM
KraneXL

Keto is really for those who are very overweight or obese. Although it could work on anyone, its should only be used as a temporary measure to get the ball rolling when you have a big challenge on weight loss ahead of you.
Old 06-05-19, 09:58 AM
Yendor72

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2016 Framed Wolftrax

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Keto is really for those who are very overweight or obese. Although it could work on anyone, its should only be used as a temporary measure to get the ball rolling when you have a big challenge on weight loss ahead of you.
What are you basing this statement on? I have been on it for 8 months +. Is there a study or other information you can share?

Last edited by Yendor72; 06-06-19 at 08:02 AM.
Old 06-17-19, 10:47 AM
Podagrower

Bikes: Giant Defy Composite, Spechialized Ruby (hers), Niner RLT9, Miyata 712, Condor ??

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
Third round of bloodwork since Keto/LCHF. Cholesterol is up a little over last time, but still in the "normal" range. Triglycerides are lower, LDL is higher. ALT and AST levels continue to fall as I repair my fatty liver by eating more fat.
Old 06-17-19, 01:04 PM
KraneXL

What are you basing this statement on? I have been on it for 8 months +. Is there a study or other information you can share?
I didn't keep a database in anticipation of that question if that's what you mean. I have researched it however, to determine if it were something I could use. Once I determined it wasn't for me I moved on.

Nevertheless, Keto was suggested to work best for those with a much higher fat percentage. Besides, for one study that says one thing, I'm sure someone can find another opinion that says just the opposite. Or you could just choose to ignore it altogether.

Although anyone could use Keto, it works best for overweight and obese dieters. Once you get to around 12% and below the results from keto will become much less noticeable. Its an intro diet to jump-start the fat reduction process. It will work fine initially, but not indefinitely.

It is not a healthy long-term diet alternative since valuable nutrients are contained in carbohydrates, not to mention their capacity as an instant energy source. You're not going to sustain a high energy training interval on fats once you lose weight and need to transition to burning additional calories through HIIT. Still, there is no one-size-fits-all only fundamental which I've mentioned here.