Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Diverge 2018

Old 06-20-17, 12:56 PM
curttard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
E5 Comp shows in-stock at one of the LBSes near me. Too bad I broke my foot and ankle a few weeks ago.

How are there no impressions from any Diverge owners on the new models by now? I thought everyone would rush to their LBS to try them out!
Old 06-20-17, 12:59 PM
curttard

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
E5 Comp shows in-stock at one of the LBSes near me. Too bad I broke my foot and ankle a few weeks ago.

How are there no impressions from any Diverge owners on the new models by now? I thought everyone would rush to their LBS to try them out!
Old 06-20-17, 01:26 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
The '18's only went up on the website a couple of days ago. They're already shipped to the dealers?
Old 06-20-17, 01:30 PM
Chader09

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dealers got notification early and the option to order 2 models for early stock/demo.

Some took the option and got bikes in stock late last week. Others did not.

Many models are not available until later this summer.
Old 06-20-17, 02:29 PM
Lazyass

Cool. Anyone know how much weight the Future Shock adds? I'm actually looking at possibly a ShockStop suspension stem for mine for singletrack purposes. Has the same 20mm of travel.
Old 06-20-17, 02:40 PM
Chader09

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Future Shock weight is around 200g.

I have the Shockstop and it is around 250-290g. Really nice addition to any bike if you are looking for an affordable upgrade that makes a noticeable difference.
Old 06-20-17, 03:03 PM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by Chader09
I have the Shockstop and it is around 250-290g. Really nice addition to any bike if you are looking for an affordable upgrade that makes a noticeable difference.
Does it bob enough to be an issue when climbing out of the saddle or sprinting? What I like about it is that it looks pretty much like a regular stem.
Old 06-20-17, 03:08 PM
Chader09

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
Does it bob enough to be an issue when climbing out of the saddle or sprinting? What I like about it is that it looks pretty much like a regular stem.
That will depend a bit on the spring settings you choose. But at what I have now, there is only a slight movement that is noticeable.

Ultimately, you get used to it and it essentially disappears beneath you. I remember it at times when I smack something really big and wonder how bad it would have felt without it in place. But it really works so seamlessly that you just don't notice it that much.

I think that is a compliment since it does the job (and very well based on my 200 miles so far) and you really don't think about it much. The rotation at the bars is noticeable on the larger hits, but I countered it with a slight increase in starting angle (about 2* up). I plan to try some softer settings to see how it works at the max limit of travel.

I think balancing the spring settings and tire pressure will take some testing, but ultimately can yield a great mix of small and large bump control.

For the $140, I don't know if there is a better upgrade to a gravel bike other than tires.
Old 06-20-17, 05:31 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
A month ago I expected I would be building up my Sequoia Pro Module by now. Then the availability was pushed out to September. Then the Diverge was announced with a projected availability of July. I had convinced myself that this was a blessing as the lighter weight and much lower bottom bracket of the Diverge would suit my needs better. Now the Sequoia Pro Module is in stock. I have to make a quick decision. Arrgghh!
Old 06-20-17, 06:59 PM
cobra_kai

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
A month ago I expected I would be building up my Sequoia Pro Module by now. Then the availability was pushed out to September. Then the Diverge was announced with a projected availability of July. I had convinced myself that this was a blessing as the lighter weight and much lower bottom bracket of the Diverge would suit my needs better. Now the Sequoia Pro Module is in stock. I have to make a quick decision. Arrgghh!
What's your planned use case for the bike? I think probably if you'll be majority pavement with some gravel/dirt mixed in you wold go for the diverge, and if the ratio is flipped the sequoia. Also if you want to do some touring I think the sequoia would be better.

I would be pretty interested in a diverge if the stack was around 2 cm lower and the reach 1 cm longer.
Old 06-20-17, 08:30 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Originally Posted by cobra_kai
What's your planned use case for the bike? I think probably if you'll be majority pavement with some gravel/dirt mixed in you wold go for the diverge, and if the ratio is flipped the sequoia. Also if you want to do some touring I think the sequoia would be better.

I would be pretty interested in a diverge if the stack was around 2 cm lower and the reach 1 cm longer.
Probably about 60/40, gravel/pavement, which I think falls right in the middle of the two bikes' ranges. Right now I'm definitely leaning towards the Diverge Sport. The taller stack and shorter reach are big advantages for the Diverge for me. The lower BB and what I'm guessing will be about 2 lbs. lower weight are also factors. Throw in the fact that since I replaced my Roubaix with a custom steel road bike, I don't have a carbon bike in my stable. If I had to make the call right now, I'd choose the Diverge, but I have some time to ponder it more and I will take it.
Old 06-20-17, 09:38 PM
wheelhot

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix, 2007 Giant Anthem, Polygon Quatro

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chader09
We tried the 33c Trigger and it fits, BUT there is not enough room for dirt & mud IMHO. It would make me nervous to run that in anything other than perfectly dry conditions. Depending on where you plan to ride, there are probably better 32c tires with a more neutral tread.
Good point, I'll probably just get them to change my tires to 32C and look for eventual replacement once the stock wears out. Haha

These looks nice
https://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/a...details-49450/

The new 34 will be nice, but totally depends on your riding area, riding strength and typical cadence preferences as to whether it is needed for you. I want a 1:1 ratio for my gravel bike eventually, but it is not essential for many people. If you don't plan to do much climbing outside of most paved roads, I doubt that it is really necessary. 50x34 and 11x32 is a very capable range.
Thanks for the info!

I'm still surprised that not one review online compares how it rides on the road vs the previous Diverge.

Last edited by wheelhot; 06-20-17 at 11:10 PM.
Old 06-20-17, 11:13 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Originally Posted by wheelhot
One of the shop guy even recommends me that perhaps I should wait for the '18 model as the upcoming Ultegra will come with 11-34T cassette (the largest one now is 11-32T, but does extra 2 teeth makes a big difference?), link.
Many people are already running the 6800 Ultegra midcage RD with an 11-36 cassette without problems.
Old 06-21-17, 05:10 AM
Lazyass

I need to go test ride one. Here's an idea in my head.

Diverge E5 $970
Tiagra 4703 30/39/50 triple group $330 (at Ribble)
Shockstop suspension stem $140 (better option than Future Shock possibly, I haven't ridden either)

That's $1440 with a few hundred dollars left over for a nice light road wheelset. Sell the Claris group for some money back. Put the biggest off road tires that will fit on the original wheels to swap out for singletrack and I have a road and MTB.
Old 06-21-17, 10:31 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Many people are already running the 6800 Ultegra midcage RD with an 11-36 cassette without problems.
I am. With compact road cranks.

Works perfectly on my bike.

-Tim-
Old 06-21-17, 12:50 PM
vinuneuro

Bikes: 2016 Diverge Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Though can you clarify if your Diverge DSW bottom tube looks like this?
I almost went for the 2015 DSW but ended up getting a 2016 Expert Carbon.

Knowing that the geo difference between Diverge and Roubaix, which do you guys think would be a better fit based on the terrain and condition I ride

1. Mainly roads
2. Island, so it's hilly most of the time (and some climbs are steep)
3. The mountain bike trails are usually poorly maintained roads (so you're looking at cracks, potholes and etc) and have some mixture of dirt roads.
That's a textbook use case for the Roubaix.

Originally Posted by curttard
I asked Specialized why no DSW this time out:
What they've said doesn't make sense. Sounds like customer reps giving out misleading information.

Originally Posted by Lazyass
I need to go test ride one. Here's an idea in my head.

Diverge E5 $970
Tiagra 4703 30/39/50 triple group $330 (at Ribble)
Shockstop suspension stem $140 (better option than Future Shock possibly, I haven't ridden either)

That's $1440 with a few hundred dollars left over for a nice light road wheelset. Sell the Claris group for some money back. Put the biggest off road tires that will fit on the original wheels to swap out for singletrack and I have a road and MTB.
New Diverge doesn't make sense unless you're getting one with FutureShock, and even then it's far from a slam dunk. For what you're doing you'd probably be better off getting a 2017 DSW Elite. msrp is 1400 but they're probably one sale now to clear stock, and it'd be a better frame than the 2018 E5.
Old 06-21-17, 01:17 PM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by vinuneuro
New Diverge doesn't make sense unless you're getting one with FutureShock, and even then it's far from a slam dunk. For what you're doing you'd probably be better off getting a 2017 DSW Elite. msrp is 1400 but they're probably one sale now to clear stock, and it'd be a better frame than the 2018 E5.
The DSW Elite has Tiagra double, with a compact crank that I hate. I like a 39T for the road since it keeps me in the middle of the cassette while at cruising speed. I'd be better off buying a complete triple group for $330 and put it on my A1 that I bought for $550. And a BDOP alloy disc wheel kit for $250. That's what I'll do to the '17 if I keep it.
Old 06-21-17, 02:16 PM
curttard

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I emailed Specialized to ask why the E5 product pages, along with all info on their site about the Diverge, says 42mm tire clearance, but previews have said the E5 versions only go to 38mm.

Hello,
The Diverge E5 Comp does have a 700 x 38c clearance in the rear wheel, and a 700 x 42. front tire clearance.

Such a bummer.
Old 06-21-17, 02:27 PM
speshelite
Banned

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So it turns out speculation about the new model year diverge including future shock turned out to be true.

Questions:

1. why doesn't the Diverge include the lower clamping point for the seatpost? If this an adventure/gravel bike wouldn't inclusion of rear suspension or flex be even more crucial than on a road bike like the roubaix?

Some possibilities:

a. the diverge is 'decontented' compared to the more upscale roubaix? Perhaps this prevents cannibalizing of sales across model lines.

b. the CGR seatpost received a silent/stealth redesign and is more compliant than before.

c. some models of the Diverge come with wide stock tires (35cc) as opposed to 26 on the roubaix, negating the need for additional flex from the seatpost.

2. is the much higher standover clearance due to the fatter tires on some models?
Old 06-21-17, 02:37 PM
speshelite
Banned

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
Shockstop is...disconcerting on singletrack if there's even the most minor rocks or roots. It's ok on the road or light gravel but I did not like it for anything rough. It's one of those things where if you're riding fast enough for it to make a difference in comfort you're losing trail feel and getting front end dive in corners so you have to go slower which means you don't end up getting much from it. There's a reason stem mounted suspension was a dead end for MTBs.

Here's a good review.
ShockStop Stem Review - The Riding Gravel Forum

For your plan, if you can't fit at least 50mm tires it's not going to be much fun on singletrack, especially with a carbon fork. There's a reason the bike designers have been waiting until clearances were at 2.1 before releasing crossover bikes like the Diamondback EXP or 3T Exploro. Anything smaller doesn't work very well. Clearance looks pretty limited at the chainstays:
https://cyclingtips.com/2017/06/2018...l-bike-review/

Of course, ymmv, imo, etc etc
But you don't own or use the shockstop.

Also you didn't bother to read the review? It was rated 5/5 by the OP.

It sucks for the forum when lazy people try to pass off (inaccurate) preconceived notions as fact.
Old 06-21-17, 03:07 PM
Chader09

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Too many people speculating rather than reading reviews from actual users or buying one for themselves.

It is a "cheap" part in the grand scheme of bike parts, and well worth the price IMHO.

I love mine, especially when I did some more aggressive single-track riding over tight, twisty and bumpy trails. It took the edge off and gave me far more control than I would have had without it.

Last edited by Chader09; 06-21-17 at 03:30 PM.
Old 06-21-17, 03:13 PM
curttard

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by speshelite

It sucks for the forum when lazy people try to pass off (inaccurate) preconceived notions as fact.
It sounds like he did use it. He said it was disconcerting and he didn't like it on anything rough.
Old 06-21-17, 03:16 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by speshelite

@Spoonrobot clearly wrote, "I did not like it."

That tells me that he has direct experience with the product.

-Tim-
Old 06-21-17, 03:28 PM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
Shockstop is...disconcerting on singletrack if there's even the most minor rocks or roots. It's ok on the road or light gravel but I did not like it for anything rough. It's one of those things where if you're riding fast enough for it to make a difference in comfort you're losing trail feel and getting front end dive in corners so you have to go slower which means you don't end up getting much from it. There's a reason stem mounted suspension was a dead end for MTBs.

Here's a good review.
ShockStop Stem Review - The Riding Gravel Forum

For your plan, if you can't fit at least 50mm tires it's not going to be much fun on singletrack, especially with a carbon fork. There's a reason the bike designers have been waiting until clearances were at 2.1 before releasing crossover bikes like the Diamondback EXP or 3T Exploro. Anything smaller doesn't work very well. Clearance looks pretty limited at the chainstays:
https://cyclingtips.com/2017/06/2018...l-bike-review/

Of course, ymmv, imo, etc etc
That review you posted a link to was a positive review. I have experience in the MTB scene, I started racing the year the Mag 21 was released. I've owned a Girvin Flexstem, rigid alu bikes, I've ridden a CX bike on singletrack with 32's. A 2.1 tire would be nice, but I have no problem riding singletrack on a 38, 42 or whatever with a suspension stem.
Old 06-21-17, 03:56 PM
BigPoser

Bikes: BAHL Giro, BAHL Uno, BAHL GVL, Cuevas

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Had my LBS order a 54 Comp E5 in black. If he's able to actually get it, then I'll be seriously considering it. Just yesterday I had ordered a Breezer Inversion Team, but the are all out of stock from Breezer and the 18's don't come out until Sept.

Also considering a Felt VR30, and Diamond Back Haanjo Trail.

Choices, choices.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.