Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What specific type of car or truck do people who hate cyclists the most drive?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-18, 07:25 PM
Off piste pista
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What kind of car or truck do the people that usually hate cyclists the most drive? Use your personal experiences and other info to put in this thread.
Old 10-24-18, 07:30 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
I encounter such drivers so infrequently that there is no pattern as to the vehicle.
Old 10-24-18, 07:33 PM
Off piste pista
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beat up old American pickup trucks. And the drivers are always white men.
Old 10-24-18, 07:36 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Subscribed......this should be entertaining before its closed!
Old 10-24-18, 07:41 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
I encounter such drivers so infrequently that there is no pattern as to the vehicle.
My observations exactly.
Old 10-24-18, 07:42 PM
Off piste pista
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beat up old American pickup trucks. And the drivers are always white men. This is what the people who are always trying to hit me with their trucks drive.

I was on the roads of rural Colorado, or Colorado's little Alabama when a truck just like this drove up at me at about 120mph and tried to run me off a ditch. I swerved out and he drove away. There were a bunch of white supremacist stickers on the rear windshield.
Old 10-24-18, 07:43 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Well...studies show that Audi drivers are the biggest d1cks on the road, followed by BMW drivers. Hey, I don't make this stuff up.
Old 10-24-18, 08:27 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
I get them in all types of vehicles and shades of skin but I do find the most threatening to be driving large pickups. That said way less than .1% of pickups have ever given me any trouble. The vast majority are driven by more magnanimous people than me.
Old 10-24-18, 08:38 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
Very few deliberately hassle me out there, and I'm a fairly aggressive commuter who's in traffic daily.
That said, I've found the Lexus RX350 is consistently the worst-driven vehicle on the road and I pay extra attention when one of them is near.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 10-24-18, 08:39 PM
mtbikerinpa
Shimano Certified

Bikes: 92 Giant Sedona ATX Custom

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Crown victorias, Large SUV, minivans. Driven by either elderly or distracted women. I know... stereotyping but I do camera every road ride lol.
Old 10-24-18, 08:42 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 137 Posts
I find it's guys driving around town in late model muscle car clones. When I'm out, particularly in the more rural parts outside of town, most everyone just waves at me.
Old 10-24-18, 09:51 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
cars with coexist and = bumper stickers have been the worse at shouldering crowding, being aggressive on the roads.

but of course that ^ is city people for you, Out in the rural roads people just wave.

I am probably the most nervous with Dodge neons honda civics and other similar type cars that all have swapped out the exhaust for fart cans. Not so much that they are young and incompetent drivers. but most of them are incompetent self proclaimed do it yourself mechanics. and they all seem to be missing a few lug nuts. On a well known road for hill hopping and pavement gouging, they found 2 of them hanging in a culvert in an upside down car on a below freezing night.

Recklessness is far more dangerous than hate IMO.
Old 10-24-18, 09:58 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
I had a run in with one of these one time. Fortunately, the semester of karaté I took at Jr. College paid off.

Old 10-24-18, 10:20 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
By far, most drivers I encounter are fine.

But I'm willing to generalize about the comparative few idjits I do encounter.

Beat up, barely running SUVs with windows open because the a/c doesn't work, mostly driven by youngish men, 20s-40s who seem PO'd at the world. They're the honkers and yellers, even if they're two lanes away. They're worst in hot weather. One of my cousin's ex-husbands was that guy. Besides being a jerk, he was also suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning from his own beat up old SUV. So he came home every day with a headache, dizzy, nauseated and angry. After he was home for awhile he calmed down. Turns out his own vehicle was trying to kill him. I take perverse pleasure in that, since I had to give my truck to his ex- when he dumped her without any means of transportation or support.

New dualie trucks, mostly driven for cosmetic effect by guys with a passive-aggressive streak. These are the guys who'll right hook you, brush-by pass you before returning to their own lane center, lane split, roar up behind you before swerving at the last possible moment, etc. Pretty much half the guys in my own neighborhood.

Women in late model compact and mid-sized cars with their faces buried in their phones. Like the one who hit me last spring. I had several near-misses from those types before being hit by a missus. She was sorry, just not sorry enough to look where she was going.

Fortunately those are relatively few and far between. Most drivers are considerate human beings.
Old 10-24-18, 10:25 PM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Off piste pista
Beat up old American pickup trucks. And the drivers are always white men. This is what the people who are always trying to hit me with their trucks drive.

Hey, I resemble that remark!

I make it a point to always give cyclists a wide berth when passing, because I know those wide towing mirrors stick out quite a bit. And I know how it feels to be on the other side of that maneuver.

Around here there's no discernible pattern of vehicle type that is driven by cycle haters.
Old 10-24-18, 10:28 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Old 10-24-18, 10:34 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Cars that are deliberately driven in a ******y fashion? Yep, it's pickups. In SoCal, Fords specifically. I've never been "punish-passed" by anything other than a pickup.

Worst drivers by distraction, obliviousness, or simple fecklessness? Weighted to ignore uneven distribution of vehicles, three way tie between Nissan Altima, Nissan Maxima, and Toyota Prius. Has to be weighted because again, this is Southern California, the Prius capital of the world. I've been nearly right-hooked or left-crossed dozens of times, and it's been one of those three cars +80% of the time. A lovely young lady in a Maxima pulled up alongside me one fine afternoon and yelled through the passenger window, "Sir! You need to get on the sidewalk!!" She then proceeded to accelerate hard, and make a lane change in an intersection on a yellow light. <c'est magnifique!>
Old 10-24-18, 10:42 PM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts
The drivers are mostly pretty aware by me. But I’d say pickups and SUVs are neck and neck. Not far behind, in my experience, are Prius drivers!
Old 10-25-18, 02:41 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
in the city...bmw's. in the country...any pickup trucks.
Old 10-25-18, 02:46 AM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Off piste pista
Beat up old American pickup trucks. And the drivers are always white men.
geezz don't know if you are racist or sexist
Old 10-25-18, 04:54 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
Where I live it’s almost always pickup truck drivers, but more specifically it’s usually immature guys who haven’t grown up yet that treat cyclists and often pedestrians, like their lives don’t matter. It just seems like these type of people (and it’s ALWAYS men) typically drive trucks. You know, the whole hyper masculine show your dick prowess horse$hit type trucks. But I do live in the south, so I guess it’s to be expected. Every encounter that only happened because the driver decided to put my life in danger, I’ve had with a truck driver. And yes they were, in every case, white men ^^^ usually between the age early 20s to mid or late 30s.

But when it comes to putting cyclists lives in danger the most often, it’s usually some sort of commercial/construction vehicle. These drivers seem to flat out refuse to follow basic traffic laws. I found this to be true as well when I lived in London, UK for four years. The lorry drivers are dangerous, and here, the construction vehicles never follow the 3 foot rule or switch lanes.

The only time I’ve ever actually been hit though, was by a Porsche driver who apparently believed he didn’t need to look before pulling out of his parking space and slammed into me from behind as I was waiting to make a right turn. Then tried to say we were both at fault. When I said there are cameras that captured it all and we can see who the police say is at fault, he literally went into a bank across the street and paid me a $1000 dollars for the damage. (He only destroyed the rear wheel, which was at best, worth $400) but he was mumbiling something about the cost of his front bumper and everyone need to be more careful as he got into his car to drive off. I would hesitate to lump sports car drivers together, but I think a lot of them have the same mentality of pickup truck drivers.

All in all though, I think pretty much all motorists are a danger and public nuisance, and it’s only gotten worse since driving has become understood to be a birthright instead of privilege nowadays. I really think that’s the main issue. We need to have harsher punishments and start taking licences away. Bring back the notion of earned privilege. I’m no hypocrite though, I think we need to have harsher punishments for cyclist who purposely disobey traffic safety law as well. I’m not advocating for bicycle licenses or the return of number plates, but I think a lot of people who ride bikes genuinely think the rules don’t apply to them. I see it all the time and it’s pretty frustrating.

Last edited by seamuis; 10-25-18 at 05:08 AM.
Old 10-25-18, 05:02 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius
I had a run in with one of these one time. Fortunately, the semester of karaté I took at Jr. College paid off.

Wheel funny.

Old 10-25-18, 05:05 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by General Geoff
Hey, I resemble that remark!

I make it a point to always give cyclists a wide berth when passing, because I know those wide towing mirrors stick out quite a bit. And I know how it feels to be on the other side of that maneuver.

Around here there's no discernible pattern of vehicle type that is driven by cycle haters.
+1. You know, in PA, where I live, we have a 4' passing law. I have taken three tours across the sate. Pickup drivers in rural areas are almost universally courteous. Same when I tour out west in places like Montana, where pickups are a plenty. During one such tour, the GF and I had just started out on a 20 mile section of dirt/sandy road. A man driving a pickup was coming the other way, kicking up a large dust plume. He actually slowed down until we passed so we wouldn't get caught in his trail.

Last edited by indyfabz; 10-25-18 at 05:09 AM.
Old 10-25-18, 05:07 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by coffeesnob
geezz don't know if you are racist or sexist
Neither if it's really true.
It hasn't been the case for me, I've been yelled at, honked at, and lectured to about non-existent rules by people of both genders and many races. I do find that it's pickup trucks in rural areas that do things like swerve towards me when I am riding in the breakdown lane, and the drivers of those vehicles in those areas are almost always white men, but I think that just reflects the demographics of those areas. I find drivers in urban areas tend to be a bit better behaved, but that just might be because they have a bigger fear of getting caught if they actually get close to hitting me.
Old 10-25-18, 05:12 AM
indyfabz

I like people who drive cattle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.