Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Question about a bike with front suspension that can be locked out

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-18, 04:05 PM
ryanmm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bikesdirect has the Fuji Sunfire 3.0 for $300 as a BF deal. It has a front suspension fork that can be locked
out. Bike would be a general use exercise/transport bike, will never be ridden on dirt trails. So I would keep
the fork permanently locked out. Would the expected life of a locked out fork be substantially less than
a rigid fork? It's a cheap Suntour fork if it matters. Rest of the bike looks decent.

I'm gonna wait till tomorrow to see if the local shops have any interesting deals.

Happy Thanksgiving also I've stuffed at the moment glad I got my ride in this morning.
Old 11-22-18, 04:10 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
A few steps up your price ladder and Bike companies
begin offering a lock out fork feature,

you can buy a fork like that, just you are buying 1..

Where a factory buys thousands.. so you pay more, .. per unit.

But It sounds like you just want a simple rigid fork ..
ask about that..
'suspension corrected' means the blades are longer so head tube won't drop..
and negatively change the steering geometry..

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-22-18 at 04:16 PM.
Old 11-22-18, 04:15 PM
ctxcrossx

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ryanmm
Bikesdirect has the Fuji Sunfire 3.0 for $300 as a BF deal. It has a front suspension fork that can be locked
out. Bike would be a general use exercise/transport bike, will never be ridden on dirt trails. So I would keep
the fork permanently locked out. Would the expected life of a locked out fork be substantially less than
a rigid fork? It's a cheap Suntour fork if it matters. Rest of the bike looks decent.

I'm gonna wait till tomorrow to see if the local shops have any interesting deals.

Happy Thanksgiving also I've stuffed at the moment glad I got my ride in this morning.
I'm jealous! I don't think I'll get a chance to get in a workout today. With such an inexpensive bike, I wouldn't expect any longevity on the fork/components at all. I don't think locked out vs. not locked out would matter. Considering the type of riding you're doing, I'd be looking at maybe a hybrid that has a rigid fork instead. It'll have better tires for pavement, have more appropriate gearing, and likely would be lighter overall for the same price.
Old 11-22-18, 04:44 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,971 Times in 1,918 Posts
as much as i'd liked to have been using a rigid fork up until this point, the road conditions around by me just would just increase the pinch flat or a taco exponentially more. The "energy" lost in the rebound effect is fine by me. I just leave mine set on firm, not locked out.
Old 11-22-18, 10:28 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
A fork that is locked out will actually last longer!
Less movement = less wear and tear!

And yes, a moving suspension fork will cause you to lose some efficiency. You'll have better power transfer with it locked.
For day to day use, definitely have it locked if you're going uphill. Perhaps unlock it for a stretch of bad road.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Pound sign: Kilo TT
Old 11-23-18, 04:16 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Leukybear
A fork that is locked out will actually last longer!
Less movement = less wear and tear!
This is not so straight forward. Hitting bad bumps can damage a locked out suspension fork; only higher end forks will have a safety valve which prevents them from getting damaged in such an event.
Also, a locked out fork, is not fully stationary, it still has a few mm travel; and a cheap fork also will probably develop some play in the stanchions over time. So to answer OP's question, I'd say yes, a permanently locked out fork won't probably last as long as fully rigid fork. Plus it weighs 2-3 times more.
However, if you buy the bike and want to replace the suspension fork with rigid one, be prepared that
a) a nice rigid fork may cost quite a bit more than a cheap suspension fork;
b) to not mess up the bike's geometry (which is critical to handling), you'll have to look for "suspension corrected" rigid fork, which has (roughly) the same axle-to-crown length - which might not be so easy to come by.

Last edited by subgrade; 11-23-18 at 04:27 AM.
Old 11-23-18, 06:09 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 246 Posts
OP, if you're looking for opinions.....at your price point and for your intended use get yourself a rigid hybrid and keep your tires properly inflated.
Old 11-23-18, 09:34 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Suspension forks on bikes at that price point are notoriously cheap. Fully active or locked, it’s probably not gonna last very long. Based on the type of riding you’ve described, you would be much better served by buying a bike with a rigid fork.

Buy a hybrid, put generously sized tires on it and keep them inflated properly and you’ll save the weight and performance issues of the low quality fork.

-Kedosto
Old 11-23-18, 11:58 AM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by subgrade
This is not so straight forward. Hitting bad bumps can damage a locked out suspension fork; only higher end forks will have a safety valve which prevents them from getting damaged in such an event.
Also, a locked out fork, is not fully stationary, it still has a few mm travel; and a cheap fork also will probably develop some play in the stanchions over time. So to answer OP's question, I'd say yes, a permanently locked out fork won't probably last as long as fully rigid fork. Plus it weighs 2-3 times more.
Valid points but it's not likely that OP will encounter such a bad bump riding primarily on-road though.

And yes, a rigid fork is the best choice for OP's planned riding style.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Pound sign: Kilo TT
Old 11-24-18, 10:38 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
It has a front suspension fork that can be locked
a rigid fork?
Yes, the life of a locked out suspension fork will be substantilally less than the life span of a rigid fork, which is pretty much infinite, particularly on a $300 bike.

Depending totally on the design of the lockout, riding 'permanently locked out' will / can / may cause premature failure of the fork internals, since any big bumps (like curb crossings) will be borne entirely by the lockout mechanism, instead of the springs, which are there specifically to absorb impacts.

The Fuji you're linked to has a 50mm travel fork, which is really really short, especially by modern standards. It also appears to spec an adjustable preload. By increasing the preload, you can basically increase the threshold that the fork will start to respond to. That means it won't bob up and down for every little thing, but will still be able to react on the big bumps.

I find that most recreational riders have their forks set way too soft, which is where a lot of the "Suspension is too Mushy" sentiment comes from.
There's also a lot of road-bike bias here at BF (no offense) and a penchant to classify all bike suspension as either cheap Walm*rt junk, or by the standards of current-gen long-travel trail-monster MTBs.
Old 11-25-18, 07:11 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Occasionally, I'll take my (heavy) mtn.bike out for a road ride (for a workout). Got to say I enjoy having the suspension fork (set to firm). I think if you set your fork to firm, you'll like it better than locked out, and you won't lose any great deal of efficiency. Try it, you may find you like it! And just my opinion, but I think the fork may last longer than if locked out (less jarring to the bushings,etc.)
Old 11-25-18, 08:09 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Just to pile on what has been said.....

Whatever suspension fork comes on a $300 bike is almost certainly such crap that a rigid fork is going far far more reliable and long lasting.

In addition, if you are going to run the fork locked out, the rigid will perform better, too, because the cheap suspension fork will have a lot more flex (and not in a good way).

A locked-out cheap suspension fork is the worst of both worlds. You get the lack of suspension of a rigid fork, and the unreliability and flex of a cheap suspension fork.
Old 11-25-18, 10:44 AM
ryanmm

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedway2
OP, if you're looking for opinions.....at your price point and for your intended use get yourself a rigid hybrid and keep your tires properly inflated.
In the end that's what I did, Nashbar had a deal on some old-stock Breezer hybrids.
Old 11-26-18, 11:49 AM
BrocLuno

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I like lock forks. Dual air weighs very little. Being able to flick teh lever for bad roads and baike paths with heaved pavement is nice. If climbing where you can't let the energy go into fork movement, sure lock them. Otherwise, they are not a big downside. Keep the compression pressure up and they have little sag, but will still flex for big bumps
Old 11-27-18, 08:05 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 246 Posts
In the end that's what I did, Nashbar had a deal on some old-stock Breezer hybrids.
Good choice! Nashbar has some nice deals on Breezers....
Old 11-27-18, 10:06 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
The Fuji you're linked to has a 50mm travel fork, which is really really short, especially by modern standards.
There's also a lot of road-bike bias here at BF (no offense) and a penchant to classify all bike suspension as either cheap Walm*rt junk, or by the standards of current-gen long-travel trail-monster MTBs.

50/63mm travel, which seems to be the standard for hybrid bikes, is enough for the riding they are intended for, given the fork isn't set too soft.
Old 11-27-18, 10:57 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
The Fuji you're linked to has a 50mm travel fork, which is really really short, especially by modern standards.
Quote:

Originally Posted by subgrade

50/63mm travel, which seems to be the standard for hybrid bikes, is enough for the riding they are intended for, given the fork isn't set too soft.
Exactly. For mixed use, a well set-up fork can make a bike not only more comfortable, but marginally 'faster' than a similar rigid bike. I raced XC in the early '90s when a Mag-21 was state-of-the-art and remember the difference those early short-travel forks made.

My commuter bike is my retired (last) race bike, a Cannondale F-1000 with an 80mm air fork. It gives up 5~6 mph in top speed to my road bikes, due to the gearing and 26" wheels, but my average (moving) speed is within 0.2 mph on all three bikes over the 12-mile route. My fastest time is on that bike, too. The fork takes away the effort of dealing with terrain / obstacles / surface changes, so I can put my effort in to making the thing go.
Old 11-27-18, 03:35 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
I think you'll be happier with the Breezer with a rigid fork. Looked up Nashbar and they do have some good deals. Enjoy!!
Old 11-28-18, 09:33 AM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Not said above (or missed it), if you can find a rigid fork bike you like, you'll save a few pounds. I moved from a cheap suspension fork on a $700 bike to a rigid fork and saved 4 lbs.

Last edited by MAK; 11-28-18 at 09:37 AM.