Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Home built xtracycle...

Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Home built xtracycle...

Old 06-24-08, 02:01 PM
HSean

Bikes: Many. Ralieigh sports`s, Raleigh Superbe, sears Spaceliner, Firestone supercruisers, many vintage mountain bikes, random cruisers, and other unique bikes.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
pics

Pictures of a pretty intresting bike, MINE! lol I love it.

Old 06-24-08, 10:50 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 95 Posts
My rear wheel is a Shimano 105 laced to a WTB dw hub and has an 8 speed block... I have 2 Sachs Huret half ratchet shifters that will go on tomorrow after I pick up a tandem cable for the rear d and a friend is dropping off a few decks for me to play with.

It will also get a mount for my trailer so I can max out the utility of the bike...

More pics in a bit...
Old 06-24-08, 11:24 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Day two... and a few hours in to the project.

(image tag removed)

Last edited by Sixty Fiver; 10-14-11 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-26-08, 12:14 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Day three and she's home... tomorrow I might have to get a shot at the pond

Replaced the brace with a 7/8 steel pipe, added grips, Sachs Huret shifters, an idler, and the deck... it had to be a skateboard.

The ride is amazing with nary a creak and the bike does not know what a bump is...everyone at the shop had to take the bike for a ride and all gave it an enthusiastic thumbs up for how it rides and handles.

The wheelbase is 62 inches !

(image tags removed)

Last edited by Sixty Fiver; 10-14-11 at 11:30 AM.
Old 06-26-08, 05:49 AM
Sianelle 
Sister Annie

Bikes: Retro Hercules adult tricycle, 1953 Hercules ladies roadster, 1950s Wearwell fixed gear 'Club' pathracer, 1980s Malvern Star 'Super Star', 1980s Healing GTX-105 Arabesque, 1980's Morrison Concorde & etc & etc.......

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Crikey, - that's a nice bike ya got mister
OMNIPOTENS aeterne Deus, qui nos secundum imaginem Tuam plasmasti, et omnia bona, vera, pulchra, praesertim in divina persona Unigeniti Filii Tui Domini nostri Iesu Christi, quaerere iussisti, praesta quaesumus ut, per intercessionem Sancti Isidori, Episcopi et Doctoris, in peregrinationibus per interrete factis et manus oculosque ad quae Tibi sunt placita intendamus et omnes quos convenimus cum caritate ac patientia accipiamus. Per Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen.
Old 06-26-08, 09:54 AM
HSean

Bikes: Many. Ralieigh sports`s, Raleigh Superbe, sears Spaceliner, Firestone supercruisers, many vintage mountain bikes, random cruisers, and other unique bikes.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Indeed, it looks nice, mines abit odd looking, sure it has many colors but it works, I like your rack idea, mine would of been thatway but one of the back ends didn't support it, my little brother skateboards soI can borrow one of those lol
Old 06-26-08, 11:00 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Obligatory pond shot...

(image tags removed)

The bags are my old motorcycle bags that have a 60 litre capacity and I loaded up my Kenda slicks and a new front wheel so I can install them after work... I won't need the knobbies until winter.

My friend is giving me Nexus 7 hub for the bike too and that should be going in before the snow falls.

Last edited by Sixty Fiver; 10-14-11 at 11:30 AM.
Old 06-26-08, 03:23 PM
Rusty Piton
Watcher

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Damnit!
This thread makes me feel like a jerk for just saying f-it and dishing the clams for the commercial model!
Everything above is so much cooler than mine!!!
Old 06-26-08, 04:30 PM
HSean

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

SO I liked the two rack thing better then random bike parts here and there, this is what I came out with, it looks much better, just needs paint I suppose.

Old 06-26-08, 04:32 PM
HSean

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

The tires are to fat though, the front one almost rubs alover it's so big lol and it makes it harder to peddle
Old 06-26-08, 06:32 PM
Allen

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Obligatory pond shot...

The bags are my old motorcycle bags that have a 60 litre capacity and I loaded up my Kenda slicks and a new front wheel so I can install them after work... I won't need the knobbies until winter.

My friend is giving me Nexus 7 hub for the bike too and that should be going in before the snow falls.
Flat sweet, SFer!
Old 06-26-08, 09:59 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Thanks Allen...

The high pressure slicks make a world of difference as does the old Deore crank I installed today... I decided to run a single 28 tooth Biopace ring up front with the 11-32 cassette as that is all the gear range the bike or I need. The gear inches are 22 - 66 with the single and a few folks said it looked pretty cool... I still need to fabricate a bash guard although the chain ring clearance is now awesome.

I hope the pics aren't boring y'all but this is the most fun I have had building a bike in a very long time.

(image tags removed)

And I cannot forget to thank all of the people who have been building up bikes and posting pictures as what I built here stems from what I've seen in this thread.

Last edited by Sixty Fiver; 10-14-11 at 11:31 AM.
Old 06-27-08, 07:46 AM
Mook

Bikes: Schwinn Cimmarron

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I need some help!!!

I have the source, but can't find a donor for the back end. I'll gladly pay the shipping if someone can send me a rear section from a 26 inch bike. I have EVERYTHING I need except for that.

Then, I can start posting my pix of my homemade creation!

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 06-27-08, 08:10 AM
oldfool
Infidel

Bikes: 1976 step thru Schwin 10 speed with fenders, home made20" long bike, '73 Puegeot P-15, several beaters, kids bikes and projects

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That is the best looking long tail, cargo bike I have seen yet outside of the Extracycle conversions. I have been going to build one but even though I have built a 20 inch version as an almost recumbent (semi-bent) I am throughly intimidateded by this one.

I don't mean to diminish any of the others but this one just looks right.
Old 06-27-08, 09:11 AM
BikeKraft
BikingYupik

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yes this one does look good. I lost my trusty Xtracycle last week. Now I'm thinking of making one for the fun of it. Oh the possibilities!!
Old 06-27-08, 05:13 PM
HSean

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

My extracycle saved me today, my front tire exploded and since I made my extacycle I have room for spare tire, that wheel came in handy today, take flat off and install whole rim, and ride away, I love it
Old 06-27-08, 09:39 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

I spent a good part of the day packing about 150 pounds of mobile bike shop and my own gear today and criss crossed the city 4 times (40 plus km) and took "Stretch" on the critical mass ride with my daughters for another 10 km (sans bike shop).

I have done the same thing with a trailer but this was far better as I could ride faster, stop and handle better, and was way more comfortable although moustache bars are in the works as I would like more than one hand position.

At the bike breakfast I used the skateboard deck as a table to lay out all my small tools and it worked like a charm...
Old 06-27-08, 11:00 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by oldfool
That is the best looking long tail, cargo bike I have seen yet outside of the Extracycle conversions. I have been going to build one but even though I have built a 20 inch version as an almost recumbent (semi-bent) I am throughly intimidated by this one.

I don't mean to diminish any of the others but this one just looks right.
If that was for me... thanks!

It was really a pretty easy build... my DIY trailer was more work.
Old 06-30-08, 11:44 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

I put the bike to work on Saturday as it carried most of our mobile shop to our Bikeology Festival and have been riding it pretty much non stop finding that it is as good a commuter as I have and without 100 plus pounds of gear is pretty quick.

Everyone has test driven the bike and the word they have all used is "smoooth".

I've done a few little things like change the bars and install a 36 tooth ring and shifter which just make the ride that much better.

Saturday's cargo... 100 plus pounds of mobile bike shop.

Old 07-01-08, 09:52 AM
HSean

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

People around where I live have never seen a Xtracycle, so they always question mine, no one will steal it because it's hard to hide something like that when theres only one, Mines gonna be Army colors lol
Old 07-01-08, 10:00 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

But if you park it in the woods, how will you find it ?

Old 07-01-08, 11:04 AM
oldfool
Infidel

Bikes: 1976 step thru Schwin 10 speed with fenders, home made20" long bike, '73 Puegeot P-15, several beaters, kids bikes and projects

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HSean
People around where I live have never seen a Xtracycle, so they always question mine, no one will steal it because it's hard to hide something like that when theres only one, Mines gonna be Army colors lol
Never underestimate a thief. Around here bikes are stolen just to run them into a ditch a few blocks away if you are lucky.

If you're not lucky the run them into the bayou just to see the splash.
Old 07-01-08, 10:12 PM
donnamb 
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeKraft
I lost my trusty Xtracycle last week.
What happened??
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
Old 07-02-08, 06:35 AM
mackstann

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why don't more people run a 20" rear wheel? It would give a lower center of gravity and would give you more room, since there's less room being taken up by the wheel. Seems like a no-brainer.
Old 07-02-08, 07:08 AM
BikeKraft
BikingYupik

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by donnamb
What happened??
It was actually on extended loan to me. I was starting to think it was mine! I got the bright idea to ask the rightful owner if he would like to sell it. Well that reminded him that I still had it. He came and picked it up the next day. All of a sudden he couldn't live without it. And I had polished it up and made such a nice spot for it in my little garage. But something good will come of this, but they are out of stock right now. Or maybe build my own. How about a folder made into an Xtracycle. My mind gets revved up thinking how cool and difficult that would be.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.