Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How do I train these shorter days?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 10-21-04, 05:59 PM
ManBearPig
1/2 man,1/2 bear,1/2 pig

Bikes: .

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just took a new job that will require me to work longer hours. The days are simultaneously getting shorter. So pretty soon no evening rides. What do y'all working stiffs do this time of year to stay in shape, other than ride the trainer?
Old 10-21-04, 06:06 PM
stirlitz

Bikes: '04 Trek 1500 (black)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am facing the same situation, I am not comfortable to ride at night, so I might start running since it takes less time, and I don't have to be on the road. (hopefully I won't loose too much strength for my weekend rides which I will still continue doing)
Old 10-21-04, 06:08 PM
MtnMan

Bikes: Fondriest & Serotta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
12 oz curls while watching reruns to the tour de france
Old 10-21-04, 06:09 PM
Steelrider

Bikes: Albert Eisentraut custom w/DA, Kestrel RT 700 w/Ultegra, Jamis Tangier

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Towlie
I just took a new job that will require me to work longer hours. The days are simultaneously getting shorter. So pretty soon no evening rides. What do y'all working stiffs do this time of year to stay in shape, other than ride the trainer?
You can throw on some reflective clothing and run at night if your joints can take it. Maybe get up early and ride if that fits your schedule. Get a light and ride at night (if you can talk your wife into it...). Other than that, join a club and use their equipment. Once in a while, I'll keep one of my bikes in my office for a week and ride at lunch if possible.

Look forward to hearing about what you narrow down to
Old 10-21-04, 06:43 PM
Corsaire
Dancing on the Pedals

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting, I'm pondering the same dilemma, however my 2/3 days a week commute will help get some riding in; I got good lights that's why I'm planning to ride 1 or 2, if possible, night around 6 pm, I'll keep posted how those night rides go.
But worse come to worse I can always ride my Kinetic trainer, beats not riding at all.
Corsaire
Old 10-21-04, 07:08 PM
late

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 12172 Post(s)
Liked 1,481 Times in 1,094 Posts
Ha!
We will soon have lost 4 hours of daylight here in Maine, and we're losing more fast.Not to mention the fact that we're a whole lot colder. I use good lights, a Illuminite vest, and a great rear flasher from Cateye. Get up and go.
Old 10-21-04, 10:43 PM
labiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sometimes i think i am more visible to drivers at night... at least then they see my lights.
Old 10-22-04, 06:13 AM
galen_52657
Banned.

Bikes: 2001 Look KG 241, 1989 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp, 1986 Gatane Performanc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Towlie
I have done the night-lights gig on the road and did not enjoy it. I found I just could not see bad areas in the pavement in front of me soon enough to avoid them. So, when the end of daylight savings officially ushers in the final after-work ride, I will begrudgingly switch over to working out inside during the week and ride outside as much as I can on the weekends. The trainer is a must if you wish to maintain your fitness. I can only stand the trainer for 45 minutes or so, so I do a hard interval workout. If you can afford to join a fitness club or gym, you will have a lot of things to do. December through March I like to do a lot of weightlifting. And, I will ride the computerized stationary bike. Beats getting fat!
Old 10-22-04, 07:27 AM
lotek 

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Rollers. Feels somewhat roadlike and if you get bored they
remind you by uncerimoniously dumping you off that you
need to pay attention.

Marty

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 10-22-04, 07:28 AM
H. Star
Short bus rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I coughed up the change for a Nite Rider Cyclone light and it makes all the difference in the world. It's like riding a motorcycle at night. You can see the road fine and everyone can see you.
Old 10-22-04, 07:39 AM
Corsaire
Dancing on the Pedals

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by galen_52657
I have done the night-lights gig on the road and did not enjoy it. I found I just could not see bad areas in the pavement in front of me soon enough to avoid them.
What kind of lights you have makes a difference, galen (did you know that "galen" means "crazy" in swedish?), I got the Cygo Lite 10/25W and boy oh boy it's like somebody said, like riding a motorcycle, I can see well the road ahead of me.

Corsaire
Old 10-22-04, 07:54 AM
msparks

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Our club went on it's first every night ride downtown. It started with pretty good relative light, but by the time we were done it was pitch black out.

We moved our rides from the county roads, to town becuase of the slower traffic and the use of available street lights. Overall it was a hoot.

Right now I'm setting my MTB up with lights and slicks, reason being once it's dark missing potholes will be harder so the MTB will have no trouble with the front suspension and stuff.

It was so fun, we are planning a weekend night ride down in Nashville and maybe some other major cities. It really was fun.
Old 10-22-04, 08:24 AM
Maj.Taylor
World Champion, 1899

Bikes: Litespeed Vortex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have zero worries if I don't get to ride. The break is most welcome.

Now is the time to hit the gym after work, just as it's getting nice and dark outside. I work my upper body to improve its fitness and make it somewhat commensurate with my legs, and my legs either to maintain leg strength or increase it. I do not use heavy weights. I will do 25 reps with much lighter weights. I also do negative reps--quite a lot of them, if possible. That gives me the strength I need, but does not add bulk. (And it does improve your strength far more than many may think, especially the negative reps. I just love seeing guys 50+ lbs heavier with muscles than I have to lower the weights for their workouts with fewer reps. I can read it in their faces--"How does that little string of person lift this much weight?")

I use both the Stairmaster and the rowing ergometer. But quite frankly, the Stairmaster is nothing after a season of cycling. (Stationary bike? You have to be kidding. No freaking way. I want to get away from cycling. And invariably, chit-chat leads to cycling. That then leads to the person with whom you're chatting wanting to challenge a real cyclist to a race. I race on the road, not in gyms.) The rowing ergometer does 95% of the work to maintain my cardiovascular fitness over the winter. It can be a much harder workout than the bike even. It's certainly the best cardiovascular workout in any gym. (Running? No way. I'll need those knees for cycling. I'll also like to walk without cane or crutches in my older years.)

And last, I actually do row--in a scull on the nearby river. Cold? Not in it. In temps where I'd have 3 layers on for cycling, I'm entirely shirtless in my shell. You're moving too slow for very much wind chill, and you're working virtually every muscle in your body. In 40 degree temps, I'll be sweating like a pig. As with the rowing ergometer, it's the best full-body workout I can find. And, it activates many of the same leg muscles as cycling. As best I can determine, an hour in my scull is equivalent to 2, or even 3, hours on my bike.

In sum, I don't worry about the short days. I welcome them. I thank the gods for them. There are some seriously cute and fit women in the gym this time of year. No, not the whales and softies that go on diets and make resolutions after the holidays, but the women who have been working out the entire year. And believe me, there's no problem seeing they've been working out!
Old 10-22-04, 12:38 PM
steveh2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can you ride early in the morning?

It may still be dark, and a little colder, but at least where I live, the 6 a.m. traffic is a LOT better than the 6 p.m. traffic. My 10W Light & Motion is adequate for riding on the occasionally-lighted streets in the morning, with only a few cars here and there, but I wouldn't go out on any of these roads when people are coming home from work.
Old 10-22-04, 01:06 PM
Ex-rower

Bikes: Cervelo Soloist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maj.Taylor
And last, I actually do row--in a scull on the nearby river. Cold? Not in it. In temps where I'd have 3 layers on for cycling, I'm entirely shirtless in my shell. You're moving too slow for very much wind chill, and you're working virtually every muscle in your body. In 40 degree temps, I'll be sweating like a pig. As with the rowing ergometer, it's the best full-body workout I can find. And, it activates many of the same leg muscles as cycling. As best I can determine, an hour in my scull is equivalent to 2, or even 3, hours on my bike.
Hey, another rower on here. I actually recently sold my single and used the funds to buy new bikes for myself and my wife. Something to be careful of rowing when it is cold (especially if you row a single) is flipping. My old coach (former national team coach) wouldn't let us do anything other than easy rows after the water temperature dropped below a certain point; flushed skin, high heartrate, and cold water are apparently a potentially lethal mix.

Having recently switched over to cycling (planning to do triathlons though) I'm surprised by how well the fitness transfers over. When rowing you do get most of your power from your legs though.
Old 10-22-04, 01:09 PM
timmhaan
more ape than man

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
i'm going to run up and down steps a couple of times a week i think once it starts to get really cold and dark. i find it's easier on my joints than running and it really gives me a great workout in a short amount of time.
Old 10-22-04, 02:20 PM
53-11 alltheway

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lotek
Rollers. Feels somewhat roadlike and if you get bored they
remind you by uncerimoniously dumping you off that you
need to pay attention.

Marty
Are rollers loud? Is the resistance adjustable like a trainer?

I wouldn't mind trying the rollers......I've had negative experiences with trainers and much prefer my treadmill instead.
Old 10-22-04, 02:23 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Ride in the morning before work.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 10-22-04, 02:42 PM
lotek 

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
53-11,

Good rollers are not noisy. Get cheap ones with cheap bearings and they can be
godawful loud. Most Rollers have some option for resistance
(killer headwind from Kreitler, mag units from minoura) but generally
I prefer them without the resistance units.

There are a ton of roller threads, do a search.

Marty

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 10-22-04, 04:03 PM
SDS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Towlie, don't remember exactly where you are, but if you commute on I-20 through Grand Prairie, on the way home from work take 1382 south to the Joe Pool Lake Dam Overlook parking lot, and you've got 4 miles of paved road on top of the dam between the gates, with no powered vehicles except wheelchairs (never seen one) permitted between the closed gates. You still may need lights.

If you are convinced that the weather is truly too awful to ride, go to the Dallas Nature Center (408 south turns into Clark Road south to Mountain Creek Parkway, right to the Dallas Nature Center) and hike all the trails. Fast. Might need headlamp, I guess. You'll have to check the hours too. They have funding problems from time to time, and they have to cut back on hours. The other choice, farther south, is Cedar Hill State Park.