Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Masters Racing (All Disciplines)
Reload this Page >

Training for Racing All Disciplines

Notices
Masters Racing (All Disciplines) Race on the track or road or on your mountainbike in the Masters Category? Want to talk tactics, strategy and training with your peers?

Training for Racing All Disciplines

Old 07-21-16, 08:41 AM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks guys.

On today's training ride, two blocks from my house, there was a dachshund wandering around in the street. No collar. Really docile but scared. A woman in a car stopped and together we knocked on a bunch of doors, but no one knew him. The woman said she worked at a vet hospital and she took him to work with her to find out if he was chipped and try to find the owner.

Not sure if that was the right thing, but it seemed like if we just left him running around by himself he would get run over, he was just a few hundred feet from a busy road.

Hope he gets home all right!!
Old 07-21-16, 08:57 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by valygrl
Thanks guys.

On today's training ride, two blocks from my house, there was a dachshund wandering around in the street. No collar. Really docile but scared. A woman in a car stopped and together we knocked on a bunch of doors, but no one knew him. The woman said she worked at a vet hospital and she took him to work with her to find out if he was chipped and try to find the owner.

Not sure if that was the right thing, but it seemed like if we just left him running around by himself he would get run over, he was just a few hundred feet from a busy road.

Hope he gets home all right!!
You did the right thing. Dogs running loose is dangerous, the chances of being hit by a car are high. If he has a microchip, they'll find the owner. If not, he should go to the shelter to increase chances of being reunited with his owner. But if he's at a vet hospital there will be pressure from the staff to look for his owners on their own (less chance of success) and then if the owner is not found, someone from the clinic will inevitably adopt the dog. It will almost certainly work out well for the dog, the owner is another story though! Lots of people in the vet med world advocate so much that they forget about the people involved!
Old 07-21-16, 09:10 AM
valygrl

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks HP, that sets my mind at ease. She said she would take him to the humane society if they couldn't connect with the owner.
Old 07-21-16, 09:24 AM
valygrl

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The lady just texted me back, he was chipped, the phone number was wrong but they tracked him down through a local vet and he is back home, he went missing last night and the owners were frantic. Yay!!!
Old 07-21-16, 10:11 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Originally Posted by valygrl
The lady just texted me back, he was chipped, the phone number was wrong but they tracked him down through a local vet and he is back home, he went missing last night and the owners were frantic. Yay!!!
Sweet.

One time the pool guy left our back gate open when he left and our little doxie just wandered out and went exploring. We found her on the other side of a very busy road maybe 30 min later. Unharmed but that could have been very ugly!
Old 07-21-16, 01:05 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked 2,439 Times in 1,426 Posts
Yay. A happy ending dog story. We needed that.
Old 07-21-16, 04:04 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
CF Bars

Took the old Vitus race bike, recently re-fitted, out on a favorite route this AM.
A feature of the route is a long down hill leading into a wind sheltered false flat/uphill ideal for a Test:

How much of a >30 MPH "leadout" can be held/exceeded at the "line" in a sprint effort?

Settled in, wound up, looked at the line and had at it.
Whoah! Front end side-to-side mush/vagueness.
( Unlike the perfectly normal side-to-side mush/vagueness of a Vitus 979. )
Do not need a front flat going full out: Shut Down!

Not a flat, the new CF bars were flexing under my underwhelming elderly wattage.

1) The old Vitus works best w/ classic Cinelli bars/stem.
B) I still can't Sprint.

-Bandera
Old 07-21-16, 05:38 PM
Cleave
Old & Getting Older Racer

Bikes: Bicycle Transportation: 2022 Hyundai Kona Electric, 2019 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Heading to the track for the first time in over a month.
Visit my blog at https://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
Lightning Velo Cycling Club: https://www.lightningvelo.org/
Learn about our Green Dream Home at https://www.lawville.org/
Old 07-22-16, 11:08 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Have fun at the track, @Cleave.

@Bandera, wanna sell your bars?

Great workout for me today yet again, everything is just easy of late. Nothing too taxing on the agenda for today and I wound up making it work with the Friday morning coffee shop ride, so it was fun. I've had some frustrating stuff going on, so a nice workout + some socializing totally hit the spot today.

Old 07-22-16, 11:33 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

@Heathpack Nice shot. Am I allowed to comment on the legs? Probably not.
@Bandera 3T Scatto carbon bars are the big sprinters bar of choice. You will not flex those babies.

15 minute 95% effort followed by higher power over / under. I think @Heathpack stole my chain although I do not seem to need it. Reality will set in tomorrow on the climb to the finish of the ITT.
Old 07-22-16, 12:06 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Originally Posted by Hermes
[MENTION=351576] Reality will set in tomorrow on the climb to the finish of the ITT.
Take it by storm tomorrow, why not?
Old 07-22-16, 01:04 PM
Bandera
~>~

Originally Posted by Heathpack
wanna sell your bars?
Ms. HP,

Heck no!
They're part of my project to take a perfectly functional old race bike and "upgrade it" to be completely useless while wasting $$$ at the same time.

Next up:
60mm deep carbon rims to impart that modern sail-effect that should make the 979 totally un-ride-able.

-Bandera
Old 07-22-16, 01:08 PM
Bandera
~>~

3T Scatto carbon bars are the big sprinters bar of choice. You will not flex those babies.
@Hermes,

Thanks for the recommendation.

Easton EC-70 bars certainly do not suit the old Vitus, was looking at Pro Vibe Compact CF bars to see if I can screw-up the CF Merckx too.

-Bandera
Old 07-22-16, 01:57 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Take it by storm tomorrow, why not?
Absolutely
Old 07-22-16, 02:05 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

@Bandera I suspect the flex you are feeling may not be the bars per se. For the vintage track bikes, they are very sensitive to slight changes in configuration and tend to be more flexible. Changing the width of the bars, stem or even the weight can change the handling of the bike.

One of my track racing buddies, who helped me when I started, told me he preferred heavier steel bars due to performance and feel issues. Today, he races a BT Stealth with Scatto bars. However, I rode his old BT stealth and although it was a heavy bike, it was very stable in the turns.

At the track, how the bike performs out of the saddle in the turns is where the action is. The more stable and secure the bike, the more confidence I have to put in more power.
Old 07-22-16, 02:27 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Track fever. This is on the heels of my friend Barb doing really well at Districts last weekend at Hellyer. She and coach have been after me to "get out there". So, I'm shopping track bikes. Right now I'm interested in the MEKK Pista T1, the Cannondale CAAD10 Track 1, the Dixie Flyer and a host of others. I've found one has to dig to find bona fide track bikes (not hipster fixies).

I'm racing a circuit race on Sunday with a teammate, the Bump Summer at Patterson Pass. It's going to be hot, I just hope not freaking hot!

Something @Heathpack said struck a nerve "everything is easy as of late". It is for me, too. I'm in mid-season form and on a strong plateau. I've had some good races as of late. I hope to continue that on Sunday, if I have the legs and the planets align.
Old 07-22-16, 07:37 PM
Bandera
~>~

@Bandera I suspect the flex you are feeling may not be the bars per se. For the vintage track bikes, they are very sensitive to slight changes in configuration and tend to be more flexible. Changing the width of the bars, stem or even the weight can change the handling of the bike.
Agree, fit changes affect handling.

That machine was properly fitted to me w/the Guimard/Le Mond System 24 years ago for competition.
The Vitus 979 was considered by many (fat/timid/slow) to be a nervous machine at high speeds "back when". Calm & confident bike handling was well advised.
It suited me well for my size/weight/riding style in road racing and still excels in ride quality on our rough TX chip seal roads today.

Re-fitting w/ 3cm less drop and 2cm less reach to accommodate a chronic shoulder injury have no doubt changed the weight distribution significantly.
The CF bars were a "bauble/joke" but it's ride-able now so the re-fit does what was intended, may be temporary and back to Cinelli 1A & #64 (or not).

Either way I'll adapt.
It's never going to be raced again, my "Sprint" was only a Test and I'll know that it's not (maybe) a flat next time but a new "feature".
Just more 979 "Character".

For grins a pic of the Vitus pre re-fit, DT controls and all.

-Bandera
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Vitus_1.jpg (96.9 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by Bandera; 07-22-16 at 10:08 PM.
Old 07-23-16, 05:42 AM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Today, he races a BT Stealth with Scatto bars. However, I rode his old BT stealth.
Nice combination... Old Stealth? Are you referring to the Cyclone? The Stealth is a tank, the Cyclone is another level of heavy!
Old 07-23-16, 06:15 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Enjoy the track, @sarals! I hadn't given it much thought but that really probably would suit you well- your physiology and the logistics of your life right noe. I think it sounds like a great idea.

Speaking of new bikes, the MTB is scheduled to arrive Monday. It actually go to LA yesterday and I assumed would sit at Fed Ex until Mon am, and then head out for delivery. Now I can see that as of this am, the bike is on the move again. No idea where they're going with it, so far it's not marked as out for delivery. But I guess there's a chance it could be delivered today. Of course we have plans & will be in & out all day, so who knows if we'll even catch the Fed Ex guy today?
Old 07-23-16, 10:19 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Enjoy the track, @sarals! I hadn't given it much thought but that really probably would suit you well- your physiology and the logistics of your life right noe. I think it sounds like a great idea.

Speaking of new bikes, the MTB is scheduled to arrive Monday. It actually go to LA yesterday and I assumed would sit at Fed Ex until Mon am, and then head out for delivery. Now I can see that as of this am, the bike is on the move again. No idea where they're going with it, so far it's not marked as out for delivery. But I guess there's a chance it could be delivered today. Of course we have plans & will be in & out all day, so who knows if we'll even catch the Fed Ex guy today?
@Heathpack, thank you, my friend! I had to get the mass start over the road stuff out of my system, and I'll still do some as long as there is a modicum of success, which I gauge as "finishing with the group". But, yes, certain people have been gently nudging me towards the banked ovals for some time, and I finally started to listen!

You bought a mountain bike? I miss that, somehow. Hey, photos when you get it!!! And, have fun.
Old 07-23-16, 11:01 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Originally Posted by sarals
@Heathpack, thank you, my friend! I had to get the mass start over the road stuff out of my system, and I'll still do some as long as there is a modicum of success, which I gauge as "finishing with the group". But, yes, certain people have been gently nudging me towards the banked ovals for some time, and I finally started to listen!

You bought a mountain bike? I miss that, somehow. Hey, photos when you get it!!! And, have fun.
I've posted about the mt bike over in Addiction for sure, maybe I did not post here? There's not much happening in the Master's Racing forum of late, sometimes it just seems like I'm talking to myself. And since I already know about the MTB, what would be the point?

But for sure there will be pics when I am up and rolling on it. It looks like the inaugural ride might have to be Fri or Sun of next week. No idea where to go but my friends know fortunately.
Old 07-23-16, 04:40 PM
Bandera
~>~

No idea where to go but my friends know fortunately.
Good for you widening your experience cycling from the track to the MTB is excellent!

Although I am not allowed to have a mountain bike due to an unfortunate tendency to charge about willy-nilly at inappropriate speeds on un-forgiving terrain ending not-so-very-well it is great fun and a super skill-school.

Favorite early NORBA racing era quote post a "slightly" mis-judged downhill corner:
"Hey, that was Radical! You just disappeared....(over a drop-off)
Have a beer and watch those stiches don't open up....."

Note that one of the great road bike handlers of the current era Sagan will be riding the Rio Olympics on the MTB.

Take 'er easy as I'm sure you will and have Fun!

-Bandera
Old 07-23-16, 05:06 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

@Bandera, I'm looking forward to the MTB thing. Hopefully it will go better than the track went.

My thoughts on it are that its a way to work on bike handling in an unconstructed way. I was thinking it would be a mellow thing.

But of course me being me, I am already trying to figure out how to work a skills course into the schedule/budget. My options being a mellow-sounding women's two day skills thing up at Mammoth Mtn. Awesome location and women's course tend to be less prone to psych out for me. I'm often bolder than most women (but less bold than most men), so in women's things I tend to feel pretty confident

Or do I try out the three day clinic down in San Diego (same weekend so I can't do both), which sounds actually much better- more focused on core skills, understanding them in your brain and getting them into your body's physical memory via practice small segments of movements (what they are calling drills but I can tell is really just practicing each element until you've got it down- this is exactly how I teach neurosurgery, so I know this method works). Sounds really great but every pic on the website is some male doing something very bad a$$ that I have very little interest in doing. So not sure they would value someone with the aspirations that I have. Plus men tend to label women as "afraid" if we just want to look at something a little longer, think before we act. The you get seen as being "afraid" and your instructor loses interest in you or gets exasperated. I really am not sure another psych out experience like the track would be good for me until I'm a little more over that.

So I think I should go for the woman's clinic for now or just wait until Ex and I can get together (which will be no time soon, sadly).

I have several friends who want to ride MTB next weekend, people I can trust to take me to actual easy places. I'm thinking I'll see how much easy stuff we have locally. If it's all really doable, I might just ride for a bit & not worry about any skills clinics. But if it feels dicey, I might just do the skills clinic in Aug.

I might bail on the aero testing if I do the skills thing, though. It's been a lot of money on bikes lately. I'm just hugely conflicted because the TT bike is the clear priority for me, so it's just a bit contrary to that concept to bump the aero testing in favor of MTB stuff.
Old 07-23-16, 05:27 PM
Bandera
~>~

@Bandera,My thoughts on it are that its a way to work on bike handling in an unconstructed way. I was thinking it would be a mellow thing.
Ms. HP,

I mean this in the most positive/fond way:
Don't be a complete obsessive nut-ball about MTB riding. It's Just NOT like that in my experience.
"Mellow" is very, very good.

Taking "clinics" is seriously not in the ethos, history or may I say "Vibe" of the sport unless MTB race results need serious coaching. Newbies just need to ride the Dirt Up/Down, no offence.

Having talked with G. Fisher about riding "Bombers" (???? Fun/Nuts/How to Try That?) during '77 Cyclo-cross Nationals the soul of the MTB experience was not structured in Any way and just Went. John Tomac & the Ex-BMX boys did stuff on the bike that we 'cross riders were amazed at and we all just screwed around, going faster and faster.
So go screw around w/ friends, have Fun and stay safe

-Bandera Ex-NORBA "Dude"

Last edited by Bandera; 07-24-16 at 06:20 AM.
Old 07-23-16, 07:05 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Originally Posted by Bandera
Ms. HP,

I mean this in the most positive/fond way:
Don't be a complete obsessive nut-ball about MTB riding. It's Just NOT like that in my experience.
"Mellow" is very, very good.

Taking "clinics" is seriously not in the ethos, history or may I say "Vibe" of the sport unless MTB race results need serious coaching. Newbies just need to ride the Dirt Up/Down, no offence.

Having talked with G. Fisher about riding "Bombers" (???? Fun/Nuts/How to Try That?) during '76 Cyclo-cross Nationals the soul of the MTB experience was not structured in Any way and just Went. John Tomac & the Ex-BMX boys did stuff on the bike that we 'cross riders were amazed at and we all just screwed around, going faster and faster.
So go screw around w/ friends, have Fun and stay safe

-Bandera Ex-NORBA "Dude"
Well, I'm not saying that I know better than you do. But I do know how I personally learn best: by being taught, by having a mental construct of what I'm doing and then by practicing practicing practicing. I really don't enjoy the process when I'm thrown into something and told to just emulate what other people are doing. Especially if things unfold quickly- it's probable I just won't do it, I'll be frustrated by it. Not 100% for sure, I might take to it right away. Which is why I'm going to go out and ride first and see how I feel about it. But I don't want to feel limited to just fire roads if there's more challenging stuff I'd like to try but don't feel comfortable with because I don't know how to approach it.

A few years ago, I really wanted to learn to play the ukulele. Everyone told me it was easy, I should just watch YouTube videos to learn. That was completely no fun to me. Then I went to the local guitar center and took lessons there, which was awesome. Very fun to actually learn and I really liked my teacher. But they charged you every week, whether you could make the lesson or not, and you couldn't reschedule. We travel a lot so that didn't work too well and I had to quit the guitar center. I found a private instructor which was one of the most frustrating experiences ever, I almost hit her upside the head with my ukulele. All she would do is play something slow and have me play along. Then faster but I couldn't keep up. Then my brain would get confused because she'd be playing something ahead of what I was playing. So I'd stop and she'd just tell me to copy her. I tried to explain that I couldn't copy her when she went too fast (this by the way is exactly how the brain works if you understand the wiring of the cerebral cortex, it's exactly how seizure patterns become ingrained & why some epileptics are refractory to medical therapy- basically, it's hard to do something skilled proficiently until you have a certain number of repititions under your belt). But OMG she had zero idea what the problem was. When you become really proficient at something, you forget on an intellectual level what you originally did to master the thing. Unless you really break it down in your own head so that you can teach someone else, it's really difficult. I sometimes am trying to teach somebody something in surgery and whatever they are doing is so one-off and weird that I actually have to have them stop, let me walk over to their side of the surgery table and consider it from their angle, wrap my head around it, have them put the instruments down, then pick them up myself and see what I would do. Then articulate it and then show them and then let them do it.

Anyway, I get what you're saying about that being against the MTB ethos and that's now how learning occurs on the MTB. I'm willing to see if that seems true to me. My guess is that it won't work for me as well as explicitly learning will.

BTW, all along in cycling so far people have told me that I'm "overthinking it". Whatever. That's how my brain works and so far I like cycling as much as anyone, despite my consistently taking the "wrong" approach.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.