Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

[start] First Ride, ouch

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-13, 06:32 PM
DaveSC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[start] First Ride, ouch

So I have been kicking around buying a mountain bike as a good method to get in shape. Yesterday I bought a Kona Fire for a very good price.

Today I came home from work a bit early and figured I would take my inaugural ride on swamp rabbit trail in Greenville, SC since it's close to my house. I made some adjustments to the bike and aired up the tires then headed out. At almost 40 and 249lb's I figured it was going to be painful but I didn't count on this portion of the trail having such long uphill grades considering that I heard this trail was so easy (at one point I wondered if I was going to actually make it back lol). I ended up walking my bike up several areas but I put in some sweat equity as well. When I finally got back to the house I was completely trashed but my awesome wife was waiting with a towel and a change of clothes knowing that I would want to jump in the shower and rest asap. After taking a shower I talked to a relative and he got me back in a good mental place so I headed to amazon and loaded my shopping cart with all the stuff I was missing like a camelbak, proper shorts, gloves, multitool, etc. Being a financially driven guy spending money is going to be a big part of the motivation. I feel great now after resting for a bit and I think I am going to head back out tmr.

I know I am going to be doing a lot better after I get these bike muscles use to doing some actual work but I wanted to start a thread here to kind of chronicle my journey. I plan to update this as time goes by. Reading the threads in this sub forum was a big motivation for getting myself to commit to this and I want to thank everyone for it.
Old 02-08-13, 07:17 PM
fatpunk

Bikes: '12 Giant Sedona, '15 Specialized Crave

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dave, welcome to the forum! It gets easier and it's a ton of fun, esp because you're upstate. I'm in the Charleston area and we have NO hills so the rides are flat at best. If you make it down to this area there is a local group of Mtn bike enthusiast called the Low Country Fat Tire Freaks who recently opened a trail in Goose Creek that's a real blast. There's a group up there called Clydesdale Cycling Club in the Greenville area (https://clydesdalecyclingclub.com/), those guys will defiantly help you as you come along. Congratulations bud! If you ever make it down to the Charleston area shoot me a PM and we'll ride.
Old 02-08-13, 07:23 PM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Welcome!

Hills suck. And for people our size, they suck more. So go climb more hills.

You don't say how experienced you are with riding a bike. Make sure you are down shifting (into easier gears) before you hit the steep slopes. You want to keep spinning your legs at the same speed and when the hill gets steeper, shift gears instead of slowing your legs down.

Hills suck. Did I mention that? Keep trying, you'll get better quickly.
Old 02-08-13, 07:36 PM
howsteepisit

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
welcome and good luck. From my perspective, Hill Suck. Now matter how low I go with gearing, its hard to lug my 230 pounds up hills.
Old 02-08-13, 07:53 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I say don't shy away from hills. After you get used to them, you can climb them all day long. At 50 and more weight than you, we still have fun climbing mountains.
Old 02-08-13, 08:20 PM
bbeasley
Cat 5 field stuffer

Bikes: Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Welcome Dave! As you poor some miles into your legs you'll come to love the hills. I live in the flats and we drive 40 miles just to start riding in some hills.
Old 02-08-13, 08:26 PM
DiscTruckerMF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fatpunk
Dave, welcome to the forum! It gets easier and it's a ton of fun, esp because you're upstate. I'm in the Charleston area and we have NO hills so the rides are flat at best. If you make it down to this area there is a local group of Mtn bike enthusiast called the Low Country Fat Tire Freaks who recently opened a trail in Goose Creek that's a real blast. There's a group up there called Clydesdale Cycling Club in the Greenville area (https://clydesdalecyclingclub.com/), those guys will defiantly help you as you come along. Congratulations bud! If you ever make it down to the Charleston area shoot me a PM and we'll ride.
this guy is a liar! It doesn't get easier! But you get faster and it gets more fun!
Old 02-08-13, 10:03 PM
DaveSC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone realy appreciate the well wishes and tips
Old 02-08-13, 10:18 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Bravo! And welcome!

Old 02-09-13, 09:29 AM
iforgotmename

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One of the best things about mountain biking is discovering that a workout can be a lot of fun. Welcome and enjoy!
Old 02-09-13, 01:11 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
I typically recommend that new riders go VERY easy on the 1st day and see how you feel on the 2nd day. If you feel good, add some more distance & repeat the next day.
I think a lot of people overdo it on the 1st day, are so miserable on the 2nd, they simply give up.

IF your legs are real sore, still go out and ride "some", even if it's just around the block. Even that little amount helps to keep from reverting back.
Old 02-09-13, 10:32 PM
DaveSC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ended up riding again today. I took someone with me that was experienced and we covered a pretty good distance. I still had some issues on the hills but not nearly as bad as the first day. My biggest problem was breathing correctly and it was better today than it was yesterday. I did better on the hills today by far and felt a lot better about the ride when I got back. I am planning on doing light rides (possibly street only) for the next week and then starting on the trail again on the weekend. We raised my seat up and tuned in the derailer as it was giving me a bit of trouble.
Old 02-09-13, 10:50 PM
otg 

Bikes: I've lost my mind!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Keep up the good work Dave! I'm 57 and got back into riding 2 years ago for the same reasons as you. I started at 260 lbs 2 years back and could barely make 8 miles without my legs killing me and my heart feeling like it was going to jump out of my chest. My usual rides now are between 25 and 40 miles on the road in Connecticut. It is fairly hilly here, and it still takes me quite a while to complete the ride, but I weigh around 180 these days and feel better than I did when I was 25.
Old 02-10-13, 05:29 AM
OiS

Bikes: 2010 Trek Madone 6.9 Project One Livestrong, Single Speed "Tokyo Bike", BH 29'er, Trek California Cruiser Classic Springer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cplager
Hills suck. And for people our size, they suck more. So go climb more hills.
That's it right there!
Old 02-10-13, 08:20 AM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
I like hills, because at the top is where the view is. And, you get to come back down 'em.
Old 02-10-13, 09:20 AM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tractorlegs
I like hills, because at the top is where the view is. And, you get to come back down 'em.
I ride a heavy aerodynamic bicycle (and I ain't skinny). So I climb hills more slowly and come down them more quickly than average. this means I spend even more time climbing the *#$ hill and even less time enjoying the descent. For steep hills, it's easily a factor of 6 difference in speed (sometimes more). So I spend 6 times more suffering than I get the reward.

Hills just suck.
Old 02-10-13, 10:29 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Hills are great! As long as the grade isn't anything stupid, like 20%.

You can't food physics though - it's harder for bigger guys to get up those hills.

You'll get better at it, keep up the good work.
Old 02-11-13, 08:38 AM
DaveSC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lots of lower back pain late Sunday and Monday morning. I think it was from walking up all those damn hills. I likely overextended myself a bit but I am fine with that, I am not deterred and I have some biking goodies coming via amazon that will help to renew the need to get out there. I am thinking about grabbing a seat post suspension system since my bike is a hard tail.
Old 02-11-13, 09:11 AM
melvinator

Bikes: 2012 Marin Larkspur CS Series.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSC
Lots of lower back pain late Sunday and Monday morning. I think it was from walking up all those damn hills. I likely overextended myself a bit but I am fine with that, I am not deterred and I have some biking goodies coming via amazon that will help to renew the need to get out there. I am thinking about grabbing a seat post suspension system since my bike is a hard tail.
give it a few days rest and you wil feel great! and about the post suspension system .. it doesnt really work for us big fellows. I have one right now on my hybrid and i am a big guy so when i sit down i completely depress the shock and it feel as if am riding with a regular post ... i ended up putting a regular stem back because that sucker was heavy.
Old 02-11-13, 10:47 AM
DaveSC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Appreciate the recommendation on skipping the post suspension, saved me a few bucks there.
Old 02-11-13, 11:40 AM
DiscTruckerMF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yep, skip those seatposts, really not worth it, more of a selling feature to newbie cyclists to make them think they will be more comfortable. your body will get used to things in a couple weeks time. get a good pair of bib shorts and check out chainlove.com for deals on various little things you may need for cheap. often times they have good deals on shorts, camelbacks, etc
Old 02-11-13, 12:26 PM
DaveSC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ordered https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00 and a camelback https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o01_s01_i02

Last edited by DaveSC; 02-11-13 at 12:30 PM.
Old 02-11-13, 01:31 PM
melvinator

Bikes: 2012 Marin Larkspur CS Series.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...35_-1___202543

https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...66_-1___202543

thats about all you need to be honest. o yeah and a good saddle and good cycling shorts.

also those are liner shorts they are not really what you are looking for ... yes they help dont get me wrong but you want something with a strong seam line and a good chamois.

https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...2_518808_-1___

also i used nashbar links cause i am fimiliar with the website but get them anywhere.

Last edited by melvinator; 02-11-13 at 01:37 PM.
Old 02-11-13, 02:10 PM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by melvinator
I ride with an Camelbak Unbottle attached to the back of my seat (I ride a recumbent) and I really don't like riding without it. I've never run out, the water stays cool, and I can sip easily as I ride.

As far as padded shorts and saddle? I ride a recumbent, so I have no idea there...

Cheers, Charles

p.s. I find it flows much better if you link text (highlight text and click on the globe with a link in front of it) instead of posting links as I don't have to click on the link to know what's being talked about.
Old 02-11-13, 08:28 PM
skilsaw

Bikes: Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSC
Being a financially driven guy spending money is going to be a big part of the motivation.
I'm not sure what you mean by "financially driven" linked to motivation. Will buying a $3000 carbon fibre bike motivate you more than the bike you have?

Spending money is the easy part. Getting out and doing something takes motivation. I have an apartment full of canoeing, skiing, biking, snowshoeing, camping, and backpacking equipment in near new condition that indicates my low motivation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.