Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Sturmey Archer front hub seized and sheared

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Sturmey Archer front hub seized and sheared

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-20, 12:59 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 1,755 Times in 1,195 Posts
Confirmed, it's not for a Raleigh-style hub. That fella probably considered it the "best of the lot" only because it happened to fit the 90mm fork spacing.
Old 06-15-20, 01:07 PM
Funktopus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
Confirmed, it's not for a Raleigh-style hub. That fella probably considered it the "best of the lot" only because it happened to fit the 90mm fork spacing.
So what difference does a Raleigh fork have? This worked fine for me before my friend had it.
Old 06-15-20, 02:00 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,057 Times in 1,256 Posts
Originally Posted by Funktopus
So what difference does a Raleigh fork have? This worked fine for me before my friend had it.
It's hard to say that it was working fine. Every time you rode it, it could have been slowly tightening and unfortunately, your friend inherited the bike just before it seized. You can choose to pop a new spindle and cones in this hub, lube it well, put it in the frame correctly, adjust it properly and then tell your friend why the wheel needs to be inserted the same way every time. Or find another front wheel with locknuts that somewhat matches the rear wheel and the bike.
As far as differences in Raleighs, just go to sheldonbrown.com and catch up on the idiosyncrasies of Brit bikes and more. It's a resource that pretty much everyone here has used to school them on vintage bikes. He's a much better read than my posts.
Likes For clubman:
Old 06-15-20, 02:23 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 1,755 Times in 1,195 Posts
Hard to describe the Raleigh fork dropouts, and I don't have a photo. It's designed so the left dropout locks in with the flats on that adjustable cone. So when the wheel turns, the cones don't lock or unlock. Mounting such a wheel backward in a Raleigh fork, as mentioned above, can cause exactly what happened to your friend. MAYBE the adjustable cone could be oriented in a more generic fork dropout so that the dropout does the same thing, but I wouldn't chance it.

I thought someone had referenced a passage in a Sheldon Brown article about how these hubs work, but apparently not. Anyway, here it is - https://sheldonbrown.com/english-3.html#fronthub . Note the comment about mounting backward. Words don't illustrate it well, however; there are youtube videos showing how the axle fits the fork, and how the bearings are adjusted.

TL;DR -- with a conventional fork, you're better off with a conventional hub/axle with locknuts.
Likes For madpogue:
Old 06-15-20, 02:35 PM
Funktopus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Very bizarre that I was able to use this bike for so long without trouble, but oh well. Shame I bought a replacement hub that's also Raleigh style, although obviously changing hubs would mean a new spoke length.

My friend doesn't want the bike back, that was a full-on return, I refunded him. The wheel repair was so I can ride it from time to time. Looks like it might be destined for a hiatus while I sort my new frame out, maybe by the end of summer I'll have another look at getting it back on the road.

Thanks all for the help everyone, and the info around Raleigh hubs. Obviously I'm familiar with Sheldon, but I had never thought a front wheel could go in backwards!
Old 06-15-20, 07:14 PM
BigChief

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
Something odd about this hub. Looks like a regular Raleigh hub but there's no shoulder on the axle for the fixed hub to bottom out on. That design won't work without one. What happened here is the only possible outcome if the fixed cone isn't fixed.
Likes For BigChief:
Old 06-15-20, 08:05 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by Funktopus
note the small extension on one cone- on Raleigh, Phillips by Raleigh and others the fork had a slight “keyhole” end at the end of the slot, it helped keep things as they should be placed - in a typical fork the load is just carried by that wee protrusion... not enough friction and the cone under “procession” moved, in this case it just wound in, seized the hub, then with a pilot of low mechanical aptitude ... destructive testing
Old 06-15-20, 08:29 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Originally Posted by BigChief
Something odd about this hub. Looks like a regular Raleigh hub but there's no shoulder on the axle for the fixed hub to bottom out on. That design won't work without one. What happened here is the only possible outcome if the fixed cone isn't fixed.
Fair question. Perhaps the cones would still stop dead if the steel was hard enough when the thread ran out. Or did the PO swap in a different 26tpi axle from another generation?
Old 06-15-20, 08:49 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Originally Posted by repechage
note the small extension on one cone- on Raleigh, Phillips by Raleigh and others the fork had a slight “keyhole” end at the end of the slot, it helped keep things as they should be placed - in a typical fork the load is just carried by that wee protrusion... not enough friction and the cone under “procession” moved, in this case it just wound in, seized the hub, then with a pilot of low mechanical aptitude ... destructive testing
Good eye, cones fitting keyholes. The axle is not original to this hub design and may have jammed up, proper orientation or not.