Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Cyclist dies after wheel gets trapped in unused streetcar track

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Cyclist dies after wheel gets trapped in unused streetcar track

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-12, 03:55 PM
asmac

Bikes: Salsa Vaya

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy
Never say never, there may in fact come a time when both this track and barn are reused.
No they won't. that ship has sailed. The plan is to rip it all up but they have delayed years in doing so until the street comes up for re-surfacing.
And I would prefer trolley buses or subways given the choice.
Old 08-13-12, 04:25 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12780 Post(s)
Liked 7,695 Times in 4,084 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy
Also, which would you rather deal with? One hundred single occupant cars, or two or three streetcars carrying the same number of passengers?
I vote electric buses with pantographs that can also go biodiesel/electric when they have to get off the catenaries.
Old 08-14-12, 10:11 AM
Sooner Rider

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Narrow tires and pavement cracks/splits are part of a cyclist's life on the road. At a charity ride with 1,700 cyclists last Saturday, one guy crashed behind me 0.1 mile after the start, and my wife crashed 0.5 miles from the finish, both after riding into cracks.
Old 08-14-12, 10:32 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
Nope, that's pretty much how I feel. The Darwin Awards are all about people getting killed doing ill-advised things (when they should know better). This is a case in point.
You probably don't want to know how I feel about jerks who discuss Darwin Awards and helmets in the same sentence, especially when discussing a recent death of a cyclist.
Old 08-14-12, 10:49 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Meh. It wouldn't bother me.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 08-14-12, 12:46 PM
Keith99

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by capejohn
We will never know if the helmet saved his life or not. There is nothing wrong with encouraging people to wear helmets but story telling usually weakens the argument and very often turns people against which ever side we are debating. Wearing a helmet does not prevent crashes. Some riders survive unscathed with no helmet and some riders with helmets get killed. Of course the opposite is just as likely.
Funny thing is people are most apt to wear helmets where the percentage safety increase is the least.

I always wear a helmet when riding on the beach bike path, lots of people many of them clueless. And while at most 5% of my riding has been there 80% of the accidents I have actually seen the results of were there. And over half of the path related incidents IO know of are ones where a helmet could make a significant difference.

But if yuo get run over by a bus there is little a helmet will do for you. Yet I see amny who insist on a helmet fo rthe street who have no such concerns on paths.
Old 08-14-12, 02:40 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
Meh. It wouldn't bother me.
I'm sure you are right, just as you are about everything else you posted on this thread, right?
Old 08-14-12, 03:45 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
I'm going to be one of the politically incorrect persons here by saying the moron needed to watch where he was going!!! Everyone knows that they should be crossing tracks at an angle, no matter if the guy was new to the city, this is true with tracks anywhere in the world. And whether the track was an active track or not doesn't matter because if the track was active he still would have killed himself. The argument for a helmet is an unknown factor, could he have lived had he been wearing one? More then likely, but not sure if there's strong enough evidence to support or unsupport that claim yet. The rider needed to ride with some degree of intelligence at work, but I understand, a lot of car drivers don't drive using intelligence either.
Old 08-14-12, 03:56 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I'm sure you are right, just as you are about everything else you posted on this thread, right?
Not right or wrong, just an opinion. We all got 'em. You got one, too.

Originally Posted by rekmeyata
I'm going to be one of the politically incorrect persons here by saying the moron needed to watch where he was going!!! Everyone knows that they should be crossing tracks at an angle, no matter if the guy was new to the city, this is true with tracks anywhere in the world. And whether the track was an active track or not doesn't matter because if the track was active he still would have killed himself. The argument for a helmet is an unknown factor, could he have lived had he been wearing one? More then likely, but not sure if there's strong enough evidence to support or unsupport that claim yet. The rider needed to ride with some degree of intelligence at work, but I understand, a lot of car drivers don't drive using intelligence either.
I already claimed the title of non-PC jerk. Go be unpopular in another thread.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 08-14-12, 04:36 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
35 posts....the end