Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Should Bicyclists Pay TWICE For Their Own Safety?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-12, 11:05 AM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts

"Just when you think Miami couldn't possibly be more hostile to bicyclists, the village council of Key Biscayne is suggesting Miami-Dade County charge the public to pedal on the Rickenbacker Causeway, one of the most popular spots to ride.

Making cyclists pay a toll for their own safety is akin to a punishment for merely riding a bike," Chester said. "Bear in mind, most cyclists are also motorists as well, often driving to Key Biscayne and paying the toll before they ride... This shortsighted idea will discourage cycling. It will also make biking more dangerous by reducing cyclists’ numbers on the road, and eroding the well-documented 'safety in numbers' effect."

Read the full article:
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1862693.html
Old 09-11-12, 11:10 AM
myrridin
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1nterceptor
Bear in mind, most cyclists are also motorists as well, often driving to Key Biscayne and paying the toll before they ride...
Should a motorist who uses a toll facility more than once for a given trip not pay multiple tolls. The principal is the same... One pays the toll each time one uses a facility. That does not mean the cyclists are being charged twice, while implying no one else is...
Old 09-11-12, 12:05 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by myrridin
Should a motorist who uses a toll facility more than once for a given trip not pay multiple tolls. The principal is the same... One pays the toll each time one uses a facility. That does not mean the cyclists are being charged twice, while implying no one else is...
If all road users are not paying a toll relative to their vehicle, then this is a tax specific to one means of transportation, and thus a fine against cycling.

If all other road users are paying a toll (usually based on axles or weight) then such a toll is fair.
Old 09-11-12, 12:12 PM
Commodus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Every time a discussion like this comes up, I think there needs to be a frank, realistic discussion regarding the costs to society of varying modes of transportation. If it turns out that cycling is in fact being subsidized by the non-cycling public, then sure. Tax me. I do not think this is how the figures will fall.
Old 09-11-12, 12:23 PM
Keith99

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
If all road users are not paying a toll relative to their vehicle, then this is a tax specific to one means of transportation, and thus a fine against cycling.

If all other road users are paying a toll (usually based on axles or weight) then such a toll is fair.
Actually the link indicates that now cars pay and bikes do not. The bike toll would be used to put physical barriers between the bike lane and cars. Somethign of no benefit to cars but a significant benefir ot cyclists.

Yet some cycling advocates whine about this. And we wonder why cyclists get a bad image.
Old 09-11-12, 12:29 PM
chrisb71

Bikes: 09 Jamis Aurora, 4 Giant ATX 870, 64 Schwin Traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It didn't sound like a big deal at first, but after reading the arguments I must agree.

Those cyclists already paid for road infrastructure through property tax and sales tax. The toll for cyclists is a symptom of completely misunderstanding who funds transportation. Car drivers often think they pay their share, and their driving is not subsidied.

Adding a toll for bikes will probably just drive down usage, which will then be used to say "we don't need a separation, no one is using it to bike down"

Last edited by chrisb71; 09-11-12 at 12:59 PM. Reason: edited for spelling
Old 09-11-12, 12:36 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Keith99
Actually the link indicates that now cars pay and bikes do not. The bike toll would be used to put physical barriers between the bike lane and cars. Somethign of no benefit to cars but a significant benefir ot cyclists.

Yet some cycling advocates whine about this. And we wonder why cyclists get a bad image.
Based on this response, I'd have to agree with the toll. If motorists are paying, so too should cyclists.
Old 09-11-12, 12:46 PM
Commodus

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Keith99

Much of my tax money has been used for motorist-only infrastructure. If this is the rationale we want to use, I think I'm due for some pretty big reimbursement cheques.
Old 09-11-12, 01:04 PM
myrridin
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Commodus
Much of my tax money has been used for motorist-only infrastructure. If this is the rationale we want to use, I think I'm due for some pretty big reimbursement cheques.
Much of everyone's tax payments go for things they do not use... Doesn't mean they are entitled to refunds...

BTW, every time you purchase an item you have received benefit from the transportation infrastructure that was used to get that item from where it was grown/manufactured to where it was delivered/purchased by you...
Old 09-11-12, 01:22 PM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
The city council of Key Biscayne wants to actively discourage cycling to and from their little, $850,000 median price homey island community.

what a collective bunch of gas huffing elitist NIMBYS. The Rickenbacker causeway serves a state park as well as Key Biscayne.

I'm not fond of the idea of collecting maintenance and upkeep fees from bicyclists to keep them safe from the damaging and hazardous vehicles, against which user tolls are rightfully levied against.
Old 09-11-12, 01:36 PM
Sooner Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't have a problem with this proposal. They're proposing to build a safety barrier that would protect cyclists (and I also suspect pedestrians), so why shouldn't cyclists be expected to pay a portion of its cost? Far from discouraging the use of bicycles, I believe that it would encourage cycling by providing greater safety - would you rather ride in harm's way, or on the other side of a concrete barrier?
Old 09-11-12, 01:58 PM
Commodus

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Much of everyone's tax payments go for things they do not use... Doesn't mean they are entitled to refunds...

BTW, every time you purchase an item you have received benefit from the transportation infrastructure that was used to get that item from where it was grown/manufactured to where it was delivered/purchased by you...
Obviously, and such was the point I was making, regarding the post I quoted. Really man, reading is your friend.
Old 09-11-12, 01:59 PM
Commodus

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sooner Rider
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't have a problem with this proposal. They're proposing to build a safety barrier that would protect cyclists (and I also suspect pedestrians), so why shouldn't cyclists be expected to pay a portion of its cost? Far from discouraging the use of bicycles, I believe that it would encourage cycling by providing greater safety - would you rather ride in harm's way, or on the other side of a concrete barrier?
I'm guessing that most cyclists are already tax payers, so they're already paying it. Further, cyclists' tax money is regularly used for things they can not use at all, leaving plenty left in the pot to build the occasional barrier.
Old 09-11-12, 02:37 PM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

The toll is for a protective barrier, right? The cause of the threat is not the fault of the bicyclists, it rests firmly with the motorists on the causeway.

Since the cars are the dangerous element in the equation, the motor vehicle tolls should pay for the barrier.

if the bicyclists were the threat then the cost should be borne by the bicyclists.
Old 09-11-12, 02:42 PM
Commodus

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bekologist
The toll is for a protective barrier, right? The cause of the threat is not the fault of the bicyclists, it rests firmly with the motorists on the causeway.

Since the cars are the dangerous element in the equation, the motor vehicle tolls should pay for the barrier.

if the bicyclists were the threat then the cost should be borne by the bicyclists.
Yea, that too.
Old 09-11-12, 07:57 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
The city council of Key Biscayne wants to actively discourage cycling to and from their little, $850,000 median price homey island community.

what a collective bunch of gas huffing elitist NIMBYS. The Rickenbacker causeway serves a state park as well as Key Biscayne.

I'm not fond of the idea of collecting maintenance and upkeep fees from bicyclists to keep them safe from the damaging and hazardous vehicles, against which user tolls are rightfully levied against.

Spot on, both times. Nicely said, Bek.
Old 09-11-12, 10:03 PM
oronzous

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite, Fuji Allegro, Trek 800, Oriigami Crane 7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If a tool boot for bikes is placed near the bridge (probably the only rideable incline in the whole county and hence a popular biking spot) then yes, riders that get there with their cars would end up paying twice
Old 09-12-12, 07:10 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
In this day and age of tax and spend b'crats digging for every dollar they can lay their hands on, this is no surprise.
Old 09-12-12, 07:33 AM
myrridin
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oronzous
If a tool boot for bikes is placed near the bridge (probably the only rideable incline in the whole county and hence a popular biking spot) then yes, riders that get there with their cars would end up paying twice
Sorry, but anyone who goes over the bridge twice will be asked to pay twice. That was the point...

Folks, grow up... The infrastructure needs funding to maintain it. Since no one has the fortitude to collect that funding using traditional mechanisms, we will continue to see more and more of these 'user fees'.
Old 09-12-12, 10:37 AM
Daves_Not_Here
On your right

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Elite

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trying to wrap my head around this:

Under no circumstances should cyclists ever be charged a toll, even when it will partially fund infrastructure that directly benefits cyclists. At the same time cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users.

Sounds like teenage thinking to me: we behave as irresponsible children, but we demand the respect and priviledges afforded to responsible adults.
Old 09-12-12, 11:49 AM
Commodus

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Daves_Not_Here

Under no circumstances should cyclists ever be charged a toll, even when it will partially fund infrastructure that directly benefits cyclists. At the same time cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users.

Sounds like teenage thinking to me: we behave as irresponsible children, but we demand the respect and priviledges afforded to responsible adults.
nonsense post.
Old 09-12-12, 12:52 PM
Sooner Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let's not confuse general taxes with user fees - a tax is rarely paid by specific people for specific benefit (I'm childless but my property taxes fund public schools), but a bridge toll is for specific benefit of the user (motorist or cyclist).

To those who want to make motorists pay for the barrier that protects cyclists, I say that its improper to impose a fee on another party just because they impose a threat. However, if an actual injury occurs, recourse is provided through the criminal and civil justice systems based upon the specific injury. I wear a helmet because it offers greater safety in a crash, but I don't expect anyone else to pay for it. The same holds true for the ABS brakes and airbags in my car.
Old 09-12-12, 01:13 PM
myrridin
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Commodus
nonsense post.

Perhaps this will help you understand what he was saying

Originally Posted by Daves_Not_Here

Old 09-12-12, 03:49 PM
Commodus

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Perhaps this will help you understand what he was saying
Somehow it still fails to address either argument, while insulting all who disagree.
Old 09-12-12, 07:48 PM
Bekologist
totally louche

Originally Posted by Sooner Rider
I say that its improper to impose a fee on another party just because they impose a threat. .
Actually, it's been almost 80 years since the US supreme court ruled states can, indeed should regulate motor vehicles, license them, levy fees for road upkeep and require insurance due to their hazardous and damaging nature.

People that drive cars should expect to pay all sorts of fees due to the threat to others and damaging effect on infrastructure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.