Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Portland Crossing Lights for Cyclists

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-12, 03:56 PM
Sooner Rider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is from the 9/24/2012 online edition of the Wall Street Journal. The image shows a small blue light that indicates to cyclists that they have been detected by a stoplight sensor. It's a great idea because motorists wouldn't necessarily even see the blue light, much less know what it means. On the other hand, cyclists would know what it is and look for it.

Cyclists coming to a red light in the absence of waiting vehicles don't know whether they've triggered the sensor in the pavement that will turn the light green. In Portland, blue LED indicator lights installed at the start of this summer let cyclists know that the sensor has detected their presence and the signal
Attached Images
Old 09-24-12, 06:22 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
that's awesome. I'm pretty sure they intentionally tune the sensors to not pick up cyclists around here
Old 09-24-12, 08:33 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
that's awesome. I'm pretty sure they intentionally tune the sensors to not pick up cyclists around here
You may be saying that tongue-in-cheek, but my local city was doing exactly that. I had to enlist the aid of a former mayor, who was running for re-election after a four-year hiatus, to get one signal changed. It took four city staff and myself and these guys were rather upset at having to tune a sensor to detect a bike.

They explained that they preferred to leave a cyclist stranded in a left turn lane rather than risk having the sensor get tripped by a motor vehicle that was in the adjoining straight only lane, which would cause a momentary delay for oncoming motorists when the left turn signal tripped for a phantom vehicle.

I contacted a local state legislator who makes big claims about being pro-cycling. He did not feel there was any justification for requiring the jurisdictions that control the signals to tune them to detect bikes. I guess he doesn't ride much.
Old 09-24-12, 09:54 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Honolulu City and Hawaii State both refuse to tune the sensors for cyclist. They must consider us false detections.
The military bases on the other hand, all detect cyclist.
Old 09-24-12, 10:14 PM
ro-monster

Bikes: Pacific Reach, Strida

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A few of the streets in downtown San Mateo, California actually have special bike sensors for the lights, with cute little bike markings on the pavement.
Old 09-24-12, 10:15 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Glad to see someone has developed that 'you've been detected' indicator light. I was once asked by one of the transportation guys here what signage they could put up to discourage cyclists from pushing the pedestrian buttons (they require a longer cycle time based on slow walkers making it across the street and therefore restrict traffic flow). My response was that unless cyclists got a clear indication that the sensor had actually detected them and the light would change that they'd continue to push the ped. button. He said he'd look into it but didn't know of any traffic light vendor that offered such a feature.
Old 09-25-12, 09:46 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Hell, a lot of the lights around here don't even detect motorcycles, forget about bicycles. In WA, if the light completes a cycle and doesn't change, or you wind up waiting more than one full minute with no change, you are allowed to proceed through the red when it's safe. I assume the same rule would apply to bicycles, but they generally can't clear an intersection as quickly as a motorcycle.

I just as soon keep pushing the crosswalk button and holding up traffic, if that's what it will take to either get them to tune the sensors, or install something like the have in Portland. I like that idea.