Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Treating a vintage leather saddle..... how much?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-20, 07:21 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts

I recently acquired an older Perjohn saddle that I’ll be putting on a vintage Peugeot. The saddle was in ok condition as I received it but clearly needed some treatment as the leather was cracking in some spots.
I’ve been applying Brooks Proofide throughout the afternoon and the saddle seems to absorb it within minutes. How many times are needed until it has adequate coverage? Until it stops soaking in so quickly ?
Old 10-06-20, 05:18 AM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
I think you have probably already over done it. The proof hide isn’t going to fix the cracks or really restore the leather from being left to dry out, but it will protect it from further damage. But you don’t need a lot for that.

Last edited by DOS; 10-06-20 at 06:35 AM.
Old 10-06-20, 06:28 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 410 Posts
Search for the term "proofide" and you will get nearly as many opinions as with chain lube. I would hold off until you get some time in the saddle and be very careful with tensioning as you don't want to pull the leather through the rivets.
Old 10-06-20, 10:26 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Originally Posted by easyupbug
Search for the term "proofide" and you will get nearly as many opinions as with chain lube. I would hold off until you get some time in the saddle and be very careful with tensioning as you don't want to pull the leather through the rivets.
It did need tension added as the bracket was wobbling loose. I only applied enough tension to stop the looseness and then a couple turns more.
Old 10-06-20, 11:44 AM
phughes

Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,291 Times in 744 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
It did need tension added as the bracket was wobbling loose. I only applied enough tension to stop the looseness and then a couple turns more.
If you actually did a couple of full turns past the point in which the bracket was snug, I will venture to guess you tightened it way too much.
Old 10-06-20, 11:45 AM
Tomm Willians

Originally Posted by phughes
If you actually did a couple of full turns past the point in which the bracket was snug, I will venture to guess you tightened it way too much.
No not full turns as the nut is a real pain to get to. I made probably about 1/2-3/4 of a complete turn.
Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 10-06-20, 11:48 AM
phughes

Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,291 Times in 744 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
No not full turns as the nut is a real pain to get to. I made probably about 1/2-3/4 of a complete turn.
Ah, okay, that sounds better. Be careful tightening it, as it can destroy the seat and create a ridge at the top. It can also tear the leather, especially on an older seat.
Old 10-06-20, 12:08 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Here's my 2 cents:
New leather saddles will get thin applications of leather preservative/ waterproofing until the leather has an even tone.
Old dry leather will get thin applications of LP/W until the saddle starts to allow buildup on the outside of the leather.
It's true that cracking leather is the beginning of the end of a leather saddle. The cracks are where the collagen fibers have failed, further stressing the remainder. These fibers chafe against each other while the leather is in use, and the better LPs will lubricate them a little bit. Too much, like neatsfoot oil, will make the saddle too soft. The rider then uses the tension bolt and stretches the saddle out of shape.
Old 10-06-20, 12:38 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Thanks for the reminder, it's about time my B-17 got some TLC.

Unlike neatsfoot oil or some other treatments, I'm not sure it's possible to put too much Proofide on a leather saddle. I expect a thin layer will be soaked up within 10-15 minutes when it's warm. If I put some on and it's disappeared by the time I get to the other end of the saddle, I'll apply some more. After 15-30 minutes, whatever's left will get wiped off.
Old 10-10-20, 12:22 AM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Thanks from me too for the reminder. I need to Proofide my Brooks B-17's also.