Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best tubeless road bike tire?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-20, 08:29 PM
InvertedMP 

Bikes: 2021 Scott Addict RC 20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 104 Posts

So I’ve been on Conti GP5000TLs and have loved them. Got some cuts in the tire so I’m looking at replacing them, and finding those tires in 28 for a good price right now seems to be hard. What’s a compatible tire at a decent price?
Old 10-07-20, 07:40 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
The Schwalbe Pro One Addix TLE is excellent (the non-Addix were the previous generation - Addix will have the orange "1" on the sidewall label), but they're currently hard to find at decent price in a 28mm, too.

Vittoria Corsa/Corsa Control, Michelin Power Road TLR and Pirelli P Zero Velo Race SL are on my list to try, but I usually only go through one type of tire per year... so it'll be a while 'til I have hands-on with all of them.
Old 10-07-20, 07:53 AM
InvertedMP 

I am not willing to say that there seems to be a slight tire shortage, but there does kinda seem to be a bit of a tire shortage. Many shops in 28mm are out of stock on premium tires and the places you can find them, the prices seem to have gone up. It is a bit weird. The Pro One Addix TLE have been on my list of tires to try, I should finally pull the trigger on them.
Old 10-07-20, 08:47 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by InvertedMP
I am not willing to say that there seems to be a slight tire shortage, but there does kinda seem to be a bit of a tire shortage. Many shops in 28mm are out of stock on premium tires and the places you can find them, the prices seem to have gone up. It is a bit weird. The Pro One Addix TLE have been on my list of tires to try, I should finally pull the trigger on them.
Pretty much. I was able to pick up my Addix TLEs at ~$35 ea before covid hit. Tough to find a good 28 for under $50 right now.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 10-07-20, 08:57 AM
InvertedMP 

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Pretty much. I was able to pick up my Addix TLEs at ~$35 ea before covid hit. Tough to find a good 28 for under $50 right now.
Yep, I think I bought two sets of GP5000TLs for like 40 a tire, now if you can find them, they’re 65 a tire. I can’t find Addix TLEs for less than 75 bucks in 28mm as I search for them right now.
Old 10-07-20, 09:55 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Yep, I think I bought two sets of GP5000TLs for like 40 a tire, now if you can find them, they’re 65 a tire. I can’t find Addix TLEs for less than 75 bucks in 28mm as I search for them right now.
https://www.merlincycles.com/schwalb...0c-174255.html
Old 10-07-20, 10:03 AM
InvertedMP 

27 dollar shipping to the US kinda hurts it a bit, but still a good price, thanks!
Old 10-07-20, 10:45 AM
noodle soup

27 dollar shipping to the US kinda hurts it a bit, but still a good price, thanks!
unfortunately they won't let you order more than 4 at a time.

At least the shipping is very fast. Orders now take 3-4 days instead of 2 weeks.
Old 10-07-20, 12:42 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
unfortunately they won't let you order more than 4 at a time.

At least the shipping is very fast. Orders now take 3-4 days instead of 2 weeks.
+1. I placed an order from them this past Sunday at 4am their local time. Showed up yesterday (Tuesday).. though I'm in NYC so probably a country entry point.
Old 10-07-20, 01:09 PM
InvertedMP 

Also, those tires linked from Merlin appear to not be the tubeless version.
Old 10-07-20, 02:40 PM
WhyFi

I'm always keeping a loose eye on pricing, just in case. I haven't seen anything spectacular recently, but if I needed some tires right now, I'd either get:

Michelin Power Road TLR from pbk for ~$51ea plus whatever discount code you can find (I've seen 14 or 15% off within the last couple days)
Vittoria Corsa 2.0 TLR from Excel in CO - $89 for a twin pack plus another ~$50 for a Corsa or Control 2.0 TLR (I like to buy in threes: two rear, one front).
Old 10-07-20, 03:00 PM
Princess_Allez

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
The Schwalbe Pro One Addix TLE is excellent (the non-Addix were the previous generation - Addix will have the orange "1" on the sidewall label), but they're currently hard to find at decent price in a 28mm, too.

Vittoria Corsa/Corsa Control, Michelin Power Road TLR and Pirelli P Zero Velo Race SL are on my list to try, but I usually only go through one type of tire per year... so it'll be a while 'til I have hands-on with all of them.
I'm really enjoying the previous generation Schwalbe Pro One TLE. All the bad reviews haven't applied to me [yet]. I've logged ~200 miles now and there doesn't appear to be any wear. I don't have any slashes/tears/cuts that people complain about. The grip is also impressive. The only downside was that it was a ***** to mount. For $25-30/tire it can't be beat, IMO. I'm looking forward to trying the new, improved Addix version.
Old 10-07-20, 03:12 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Princess_Allez
I'm really enjoying the previous generation Schwalbe Pro One TLE. All the bad reviews haven't applied to me [yet]. I've logged ~200 miles now and there doesn't appear to be any wear. I don't have any slashes/tears/cuts that people complain about. The grip is also impressive. The only downside was that it was a ***** to mount. For $25-30/tire it can't be beat, IMO. I'm looking forward to trying the new, improved Addix version.
The reputation for being not terribly robust scared me off of that generation, but the current pricing is tempting. No complaints on the Addix, personally. I replaced the first rear tire at ~2600 miles, which isn't bad for a performance tire for me. That tire did take a 1/4" cut that sealed but re-opened a month later when it took a rough bump just right; it did re-seal again on its own, though, FWIW. As much as I'd like to try the others I've previously mentioned, I'd happily run them again if I found a decent price on them. Oh, and they also mounted pretty easily on two different wheelsets.
Old 10-07-20, 04:20 PM
noodle soup

Also, those tires linked from Merlin appear to not be the tubeless version.
you’re right.

I guess they are out of Pro 1 addix TLE tires.
Old 10-07-20, 04:52 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
I generally hate all road tubeless but...

Pirelli P Zero Race TLR has been a super nice tire to work with. Long term reviews aren't in yet.

Always loved Michelin but I have been seeing quality issues lately.

Actually interested in the Goodyear offerings

GP5000 TL - I haven't been super happy with the 5000 in general. The tubeless seems "OK".

I hate Schwalbe and honestly think that while they did great at getting a useable tubeless road tire to market nearly the quickest the reason is because they just didn't care about the tire ride or feel all that much. There's a reason better tire companies waited.

Old 10-07-20, 07:44 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Psimet2001

Pirelli P Zero Race TLR has been a super nice tire to work with. Long term reviews aren't in yet.

GP5000 TL - I haven't been super happy with the 5000 in general. The tubeless seems "OK".

I hate Schwalbe and honestly think that while they did great at getting a useable tubeless road tire to market nearly the quickest the reason is because they just didn't care about the tire ride or feel all that much. There's a reason better tire companies waited.
I couldn't disagree with you more. Granted I've only used 2 different Schwalbe tubeless models(G-One Speed + Pro 1 Addix TLE), but I love both tires.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 10-07-20, 08:25 PM
tobey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Went with the Continental Grandprix 5000TL and they have been great. First thing I noticed is how well they track with good stability going downhill along with better then average grip when cornering.
1 sidewall puncture in 3,500 miles which I plugged and was able to complete the century ride. Not cheap but well worth it IMO. The only downside is they are a bear to mount.
Old 10-08-20, 07:04 AM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
The reputation for being not terribly robust scared me off of that generation, but the current pricing is tempting. No complaints on the Addix, personally. I replaced the first rear tire at ~2600 miles, which isn't bad for a performance tire for me. That tire did take a 1/4" cut that sealed but re-opened a month later when it took a rough bump just right; it did re-seal again on its own, though, FWIW. As much as I'd like to try the others I've previously mentioned, I'd happily run them again if I found a decent price on them. Oh, and they also mounted pretty easily on two different wheelsets.
Originally Posted by noodle soup
I couldn't disagree with you more. Granted I've only used 2 different Schwalbe tubeless models(G-One Speed + Pro 1 Addix TLE), but I love both tires.

I have been riding Schwalbe Pro Ones for almost 3 years and have been generally pleased with ride and durability. I started with the original microskin version and recently replaced a worn rear tire with the updated addix. Ride wise, I don’t notice a difference buut set up with the addix was easier. I had to use a compressor canister to get the originals to mount where the addix version pops right on with just a floor pump. That said, overall I think I prefer the originals. I seem to lose a touch more air between rides from the addix version suggesting the originals seal better (air loss is minor either way so not a big deal), but more importantly, the addix tire does seem to be wearing faster and a touch more prone to nicks than were the orginals, which lasted quite a long time.
Likes For DOS:
Old 10-08-20, 07:26 AM
InvertedMP 

Originally Posted by Psimet2001

What are your issues with tubeless road tires in general, and what don't you like about the Conti GP5000TL?
Old 10-08-20, 09:58 AM
Princess_Allez

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by DOS
I have been riding Schwalbe Pro Ones for almost 3 years and have been generally pleased with ride and durability. I started with the original microskin version and recently replaced a worn rear tire with the updated addix. Ride wise, I don’t notice a difference buut set up with the addix was easier. I had to use a compressor canister to get the originals to mount where the addix version pops right on with just a floor pump. That said, overall I think I prefer the originals. I seem to lose a touch more air between rides from the addix version suggesting the originals seal better (air loss is minor either way so not a big deal), but more importantly, the addix tire does seem to be wearing faster and a touch more prone to nicks than were the orginals, which lasted quite a long time.
how's the tire width when inflated? Is it true the addix inflates true to size? I kinda like that the old pro 1 inflates slightly larger as it gives more cushion.
Old 10-08-20, 10:27 AM
WhyFi

how's the tire width when inflated? Is it true the addix inflates true to size? I kinda like that the old pro 1 inflates slightly larger as it gives more cushion.
Schwalbe have stated that Addix are true to size on an 19mm int width rim. My own experience, on 17mm and 23mm rims, supports this. One nice thing about the Addix is that, now that they're more true to size on modern width rims, they've expanded their sizing and offer a 30mm in addition to the 28mm.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 10-08-20, 01:25 PM
Paopawdecarabao

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 10 Posts
I was using GP5k's before I switched to a Veloflex Corsa EVO TLR. The GP 5k's are a pain to install but the Veloflex is easier with minimal effort and it rolls better.
Old 10-08-20, 01:33 PM
InvertedMP 

Yea, there is no putting a tube in for me on the road with the GP5KTLs, really hard to get on the wheel. A wheel that performs as well or better, easier setup and still has some puncture resistance, would be amazing.
Old 10-08-20, 05:16 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
The Corsa/Corsa Controls TLR were pretty easy to get on with levers. You just have to be willing to send it. I don’t know if I could get those tires on without levers, honestly.

The bead stretched out - a lot - after a couple weeks. Taking the tire on and off became comically easy.

I got a cut in the sidewall from a rock after just a few miles. I haven’t used that tire since (sealant didn’t work).

The grip is fantastic but it also doesn’t seem to “glide” as nicely as my Pirelli P Zeros (with tubes).
Old 10-09-20, 05:40 AM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
The Addix are narrower, but I have 25s mounted to Hed Belgium + rims so both inflate wider than 25mm due to the wide rim (21mm internal). The addix inflate to about 27mm while the older tires inflated to 29mm. On a standard width rim, I would expect addix to be close to tru to size.
Likes For DOS:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.