Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Weird rear brake cable hanger. Did I do this right?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-21, 06:21 PM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts

I am refurbing a 90s Trek step thru hybrid that has Shimano cantilever brakes. In my previous experience with step thru frames, the rear brake cable routes down the sloping TT then comes up the seat tube and transitions back down to the brake arm via some hanger that allows a single length of cable — via a grooved wheel, for example —to transition down to the brake arm fixing bolt. But the bike I am working on has a hinged hanger where the cable from the brake lever routes through a hollowed out threaded barrel end where a 2mm hex bolt threads in and pinches the cable at the top of the seat tube. (see rusty barrel at rt of 1st pic)

Then a second short length of cable runs from the top of the ST to connect to the brake arm (see nonrusty barrel in left of 2nd pic seated in hinged arm extenting up and rearward). It took me forever to figure out the routing to get the brake to work. But I am still not sure I have it right.
Old 10-02-21, 06:37 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,878 Times in 2,315 Posts
How does the brake brake feel in use? The hanger rocker has different lever arm lengths. So set up one way it will lessen the cable pull amount that acts of the straddle cable. Reversing the hanger rocker will increase the straddle cable 's pull up amount. I can't say which is the better performing arrangement, can you by trying the set ups on the road? Andy
Old 10-02-21, 07:52 PM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
This brakes feel ok. This was the only way I could get enough pull to fully engage the brakes.
Old 10-03-21, 08:18 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,753 Times in 966 Posts
That's one heck of a clustering.
Old 10-03-21, 09:19 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
DOS i've honestly never seen or used a hanger like that. but, i'd say that's the correct set up. and i don't see how you could set it up any other way and still have it function. and, if the brake is just working "okay" you might play with the link wire length or install a traditional yoke and straddle cable. also, what kind of pads are you using?

Last edited by thook; 10-03-21 at 09:23 AM.
Old 10-03-21, 09:28 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,003 Times in 488 Posts
Those were on 94s, just before linear brakes made all that unnecessary.

From 94 Dealer's Manual:

Likes For DorkDisk: