Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bike work stand advice

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Bike work stand advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-22, 01:41 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
.... A trick I use at home and at my local co-op is to mark the post with a Sharpie before I put it in the stand. Pull the seatpost out enough to clamp, work on the bike, and then push the seatpost back in. A seat post is far cheaper than a frame if something goes wrong.
I am conflicted about this approach. My Italian bikes have Campagnolo seat binders that are nearly one time use. Replacements are not inexpensive. Oh use something else, not.
Unfortunately, it takes a fair amount of torque to get the clamp tight enough to keep the post from slipping.
Old 01-07-22, 04:37 PM
galyons
the dream shall never die

Bikes: Cannondale RT3000 Tandem Cannondale R900 CAAD 8 Campy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
I have used the older version of this Park stand for over 10 years. https://www.parktool.com/product/tea...egory=Portable I think it is the PRS22. The stand is heavy duty, very stable and portable. It does not use the typical seatpost/frame type mount, which it replaced. I have been using it to refurbish my, new to me, 2002 Cannondale road tandem. I did have to add counterweight tot the front to offset the weight of the tandem overhang.

Cheers,
Geary

Last edited by galyons; 01-07-22 at 05:03 PM.
Old 01-07-22, 04:40 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
It depends on what maintenance I’m doing.

I’ll lightly clamp a top or seat tube for low frame torque situations. That can range from an after wash dry and lube to cable, housing, brake pad replace/adjust, etc.

If I’m doing something that requires a tighter clamping pressure or needing to torque against the clamp, I’ll raise or remove/replace and clamp on the seatpost.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 01-07-22, 06:06 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I’ve used the Feedback at outdoor events and I find the clamp mechanism to be fiddly. You have to get it wide enough to take whatever tube you are clamping to, then slide it down to actually clamp the tube, then screw the clamp down so that the bike doesn’t move. It’s difficult to do one handed.
Yeah, the Feedback clamp does require some practice. My method is to (1) lift my bike with my right arm, (2) squeeze the clamp together (around the seat post) with my left hand, (3) tighten the clamp with my left hand. This works better than holding the knob to push the clamp close and tighten in a single step.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 01-07-22, 07:02 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,912 Times in 1,142 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
I am conflicted about this approach. My Italian bikes have Campagnolo seat binders that are nearly one time use. Replacements are not inexpensive. Oh use something else, not.
Unfortunately, it takes a fair amount of torque to get the clamp tight enough to keep the post from slipping.
I have the Hirobel addition that I use with my work stand to hold the exotic frames. It does not stress the frame and uses only the top tube to hold the bike stable for work. It does not use any clamping mechanism but relies on a small rubber strap to hold the bike in place within the attachment. Smiles, MH
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 01-07-22, 07:36 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
I have the original version of this Feedback stand. The company was Ultimate back then. I have no idea when I bought it, but it was more than 25 years ago. I really like the clutch clamping mechanism. A quarter turn, then slide it out freely. Slide it back inward then turn the knob to clamp. Fast and easy, and won't crush a tube.

About 4 or 5 years ago, the clutch mechanism quit grabbing consistently. The replacement part fit my old stand, and was surprisingly inexpensive. I think it's better designed, too, good for another 20 years.
Stands are a lifetime investment. It's so much easier to adjust shifting and brakes, and to rewrap bars, and even clean the bike.

I never clamp the frame, just the sturdy seatpost.

My older road bike had a short seatpost, so I hacksawed the clamp "feet" a little shorter. That worked fine. I got a replacement set of full size pad feet when I got the replacement clutch.

Last edited by rm -rf; 01-07-22 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-07-22, 09:09 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
I have a bikehand stand that looks to be about the same as https://www.jensonusa.com/Foundation-Bike-Repair-Stand

Does everything I need. I clamp on the seatpost.

scott s.
Old 01-08-22, 11:10 AM
blinky

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Tuscany with Ultegra R-8000 components

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
I have the original version of this Feedback stand. The company was Ultimate back then. I have no idea when I bought it, but it was more than 25 years ago. I really like the clutch clamping mechanism. A quarter turn, then slide it out freely. Slide it back inward then turn the knob to clamp. Fast and easy, and won't crush a tube.

As with other bicycle related items , stands have evolved in a good way - my first stand many years ago was a Minoura that I thought was flimsy at the time , and then subsequently got the Ultimate which was OK but the upper throw lock lever didn't hold tight - Like the OP I will continue to use the stand in the garage but am now looking at the fixed stands from Park that I provided links to above - in my case it could attach to either a wooden support post of a stairway coming down to the garage from inside the house or on the work bench - the OP could nail a 2x4 to a wall stud and accomplish the same thing .

The two fixed stands from Park that I linked above look to me like they would be worth the money and provide everything you would need to work on your bike for a long time .

For bike cleaning the video I linked above is a great and straight forward option instead of using a portable bike stand .

Last edited by blinky; 01-08-22 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-14-22, 12:21 AM
Ryan_M

Bikes: Some

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by pbass
I have some Jenson $$ to spend and was looking at this stand: https://www.jensonusa.com/Feedback-R...epair-Stand-20

My question is: this will be for my garage and learning to wrench on my bikes, not for travel as this thing is ideally intended for, so the portability factor isn't important to me. Is something like this gonna offer enough support for those times when you gotta muscle some component into submission? I'm used to watching the pros at my LBS work on their stands that are mounted to the floor!

Next level up would be this, which looks more stable, but still, not terribly much more: https://www.jensonusa.com/Feedback-S...nic-Work-Stand
Just to throw a different viewpoint at you... Since you're going to be working on your own bike I'm assuming you have some proficiency with tools. Have you thought about building something and spending those Jensen bucks on something more fun? I did this (yeah I still haven't trimmed the 2x6 to length), it was kinda meant as a proof of concept but has worked out perfectly. It was all scraps and repurposed wood, I also didn't need it to be mobile so I anchored it to my table saw. I've built a few bikes on it and it doesn't leave me wanting for anything - otherwise I'd just build a new one! The close spacing of the "hangers" was meant so I could flip the bike around but with the adjustable height I've never done that. This was free for me but maybe $15ish if you had to buy the materials. I have the means so I dadoed the joints but completely unnecessary, as it is I can hang my body weight on it (190lbs). Easily achievable to make it using only a jig saw and drill. There's also lots of other designs on the net.

Not as attractive or polished as what you're looking at but just floating an idea.

Likes For Ryan_M:
Old 01-15-22, 05:15 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryan_M
Just to throw a different viewpoint at you... Since you're going to be working on your own bike I'm assuming you have some proficiency with tools. Have you thought about building something and spending those Jensen bucks on something more fun? I did this (yeah I still haven't trimmed the 2x6 to length), it was kinda meant as a proof of concept but has worked out perfectly. It was all scraps and repurposed wood, I also didn't need it to be mobile so I anchored it to my table saw. I've built a few bikes on it and it doesn't leave me wanting for anything - otherwise I'd just build a new one! The close spacing of the "hangers" was meant so I could flip the bike around but with the adjustable height I've never done that. This was free for me but maybe $15ish if you had to buy the materials. I have the means so I dadoed the joints but completely unnecessary, as it is I can hang my body weight on it (190lbs). Easily achievable to make it using only a jig saw and drill. There's also lots of other designs on the net.

Not as attractive or polished as what you're looking at but just floating an idea.

Nicely done! My garage space unfortunately wouldn't be conducive to a setup like that.
Old 01-16-22, 07:48 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Just to throw another different viewpoint at you: I do most of my bike work by hanging the bike from a loop of rope attached to the ceiling in my shop, mostly minor adjustments and cleanings. At times I prefer a more stable arrangement so I use this trunk rack I fished out of the tip at the transfer station. I removed what I did not need and attached the bit of wood that holds it in place in the jaws of the vice until I tighten the jaws. A bike is cradled with the top tube across the two arms. I've also bent the right side arm down a bit so the bike tips down and the fork settles straight ahead. The hooks are wrapped with inner tube and felt to protect any paint and I keep "bungee balls" handy to secure the F wheel to the DT if desired. Works pretty well for many tasks and is easy to put away when not needed. I cannot dedicate a space in my shop to bike work and a floor stand. TOO many other projects all the time.

Likes For Prowler:
Old 01-16-22, 08:50 AM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
I have had feedback elite from before it was feedback (it was Ultimate when I bought it). Its been a great stand and I like the auto release mechanism on the clamp. But I do agree with @cyclcommute’s observation that getting clamp set one handed is a bit fiddly, and I covet his commercial park clamp. I have found the feedback stand plenty stable even with older heavier steel bikes.
Old 03-25-22, 06:57 AM
southpier

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 41 Posts
once again

the search function lead me too far afield although among some educational threads. but to the point, is there a bottom bracket style workstand with a concession to holding a full fendered bike? or will i be tasked with making something; i'm thinking the lightest aluminum extrusion in the vein of 80-20 and associated hardware. this will most likely cost as much as the stand!

thanks
Old 03-25-22, 08:04 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by pbass
I have some Jenson $$ to spend and was looking at this stand: https://www.jensonusa.com/Feedback-R...epair-Stand-20

My question is: this will be for my garage and learning to wrench on my bikes, not for travel as this thing is ideally intended for, so the portability factor isn't important to me. Is something like this gonna offer enough support for those times when you gotta muscle some component into submission? I'm used to watching the pros at my LBS work on their stands that are mounted to the floor!

Next level up would be this, which looks more stable, but still, not terribly much more: https://www.jensonusa.com/Feedback-S...nic-Work-Stand
It’ll be fine. Really the only things you’re really going to the hauling on are BBs and cranks, and even then it’s nothing compared to the forces exerted on the frame just by riding on it. At the end of the day, just by keeping the bike immobile and at a comfortable working height, any stand will be a quantum lead forward compared to no stand. It’ll transform your bike maintenance 👍
Old 03-25-22, 08:51 AM
Roadies_Rok

Bikes: Litespeed Arenberg Road Bike; Specialized Crossroads XC Pro

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
pbass if you are looking at a Jenson repair stand I'd suggest that you get a Park 9.3 stand. The money is similar and IMO the Park is a better stand. I have the Park 10.4 stand which I scored for $50 from a buddy who had upgraded his stand and wanted to help me out but the Park 10.4 which is no longer made was a $450 stand. Good luck and have fun.
Old 03-25-22, 10:00 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by southpier
the search function lead me too far afield although among some educational threads. but to the point, is there a bottom bracket style workstand with a concession to holding a full fendered bike? or will i be tasked with making something; i'm thinking the lightest aluminum extrusion in the vein of 80-20 and associated hardware. this will most likely cost as much as the stand!

thanks
About the only one that I can think of that might work is the Park PRS-22.2 but it is really pricey. Frame clamp stands are cheaper and, frankly, more useful. You really can’t work on a headset with the PRS-22.2, for example.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-25-22, 10:19 AM
oris
I like speed

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod, Specialized Allez Sprint, Bottecchia Emme 4 SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 61 Posts
I'm sure the OP has already made his decision. However here's my 2 cents.

I have the Feedback Sport stand when it used to be Ultimate Support; had it for at least 10 years now and is the best non-bike investment. Only issues I've had is the rubber on the clamp has dryrotted and fallen off. Otherwise it's solid and packs down easily.

Overall having a quality bike stand is a worthwhile investment for the serious cyclist or tinkerer.
Old 03-25-22, 10:27 AM
phtomita

Bikes: '87 Centurion Ironman, '86 Nishiki Tri-A, '84 Centurion PT15

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 112 Posts
I got a wall mount one, similar to this
https://www.ebay.com/itm/14427976389...YAAOSw0~hhhgog
The design is different from mine.
Mine has two metal plates you can attach to the wall, then the arm is inserted to it. When not using I just remove the arm out.