Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Campy SR Front Derailleur Part

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-15, 10:12 AM
TP_Mantis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,
I have a Campy Super Record Front Derailleur (2011ish)
Below is a similar pic.
the part on the left broke off. this is the part that slides over the front of the cage and screws into the rear of the cage. It serves as to hold up the chain if it drops off the rings (i believe). Anyone know what this is called and where i can get a replacement?
Right now the derailleur is still functional but rather it be complete.

https://www.wigglestatic.com/images/c...=430&h=430&a=7

Thanks,
Mantis
Old 06-17-15, 01:16 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Send a private message to the following member here. He is a certified Campy tech and expert and will tell if you the individual part is available and/or if you have any warranty recourse:

Graeme's user: gfk_velo
Old 06-17-15, 01:41 PM
TP_Mantis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks!
Old 06-19-15, 12:46 PM
TP_Mantis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bump.. still looking for an answer
Old 06-19-15, 01:21 PM
gfk_velo

Bikes: Too many!

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 45 Posts
Sorry, was at the Campag factory and not able to spend much time on line last week - don't live on a keyboard, I am afraid!

The link won't open in my browser but if it's the plastic bridge that ties across the back of the FD, no, it's not available as a spare - the only practical fix is an entirely new FD.

In these cases we usually recommend a Chorus FD as the cage is entirely alloy and breakage is still more uncommon than the relatively rare failure of the bridge on the Record / SR units.

Usually failure at this point on Record or Super Record is caused by repeated mis-shifting, shifting shifting under pressure or use of non-round rings. There are Record and SR FDs around (I own two) that are into 10s of 1000s of KM and still absolutely fine and the test units on the machines at the Campag factory are still going strong after 400,000 plus shifts ...

The function of the bridge piece is to hold the two sides of the cage at the right distance apart rather than to keep the chain from dropping out of the bottom of the cage, as such.

It can, though, be weakened by repeated chain throw-off, especially to the outside, as this loads the outer plate of the FD, and the bridge with it, in a way that they are not designed to withstand.

Non round rings load the FD with forces and at points that they were once again, not designed to support.

Shifting under load (i.e. not easing off slightly at the moment of shift) forces the cage of the FD against a chain that doesn't want to go anywhere - so again either plate of the FD can be overlaoded. It will try and bend and the bridge piece will be transferring some of that load to the other half of the cage and if done on a serial basis, this can lead to failure.

If you run non-round rings, a non-Campag chainset or tend to shift late on a climb and under pressure for instance, the Chorus FD is a better alternative. Better still of course is to use the correct Campag rings on a Campag chainset, correctly set up the FD and to ease pedalling when you shift at either the front or the rear, making shifts as far in advance of needing the gear that you want, as is practical ... :-)

Last edited by gfk_velo; 06-19-15 at 01:24 PM.
Old 06-19-15, 03:40 PM
TP_Mantis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks so much for the reply!
I really appreciate it. I do run non round rings so that sounds like the culprit.

I will be looking on ebay for a chorus derailleur

thanks again!!!