Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Ugly scene in Oklahoma. 2 cyclists dead

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-09, 06:59 PM
fosmith
my brain hurts!

Bikes: Numerous bicycles.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Jesus....
https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/artic...0_SANDSP252506

Car collides with cyclists; two killed, one injured

An Oklahoma Highway Patrol trooper walks past the wreckage of an accident that killed two bicyclists Tuesday afternoon. A woman was driving east on Oklahoma 51 near Sand Springs when she stuck the cyclists and tried to leave the scene. MATT BARNARD/Tulsa World

By MATT BARNARD World Staff Writer
Published: 6/9/2009 4:58 PM
Last Modified: 6/9/2009 7:15 PM

SAND SPRINGS - Alcohol may have been involved in an automobile-bicycle collision that killed two people and injured another Tuesday afternoon, authorities said.

A woman in her early 30s was pronounced dead at the scene after medics arrived about 4 p.m., EMSA spokeswoman Tina Wells said.

A man who was thought to be 33 or 34 was flown by Life Flight to St. Francis Hospital in Tulsa, she said.

Another man, who is roughly the same age, was seriously injured and was taken by ambulance to St. John Medical Center in Tulsa, Wells said.

Oklahoma Highway Patrol Trooper Brian Warren said after 6 p.m. that one of the men had died.

Their names and that of the driver involved have not yet been released.

All three bicyclists were riding east on Oklahoma 51 near 165th West Avenue when they were struck by a vehicle.

Warren said the bicyclists were on the shoulder and that the woman’s car veered off the road and hit them before continuing into a ditch and knocking down a stop sign.

She eventually drove back onto the highway and continued east until a motorist who saw what had happened was able to get her to stop, Warren said.

After she had pulled over, the woman tried to drive away again but was stopped by another motorist, he said.

Troopers found an open container of alcohol in her car and said she seemed very disoriented, Warren said.

The woman is being detained while authorities take a blood sample for a toxicology test, and she likely will be arrested on a felony drunken-driving and hit-and-run complaints, he said.

Warren said the stretch of highway is particularly dangerous for bicyclists and that bike crashes happen there frequently. This, he said, was the worst such wreck he has seen.

Part of the highway is closed down while investigators work and the road is cleared. More information will be posted as it becomes available.
Old 06-09-09, 07:34 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Another apparent DUI killer and hit&run driver.

Here is hoping for an very long jail term, 20+.
Old 06-09-09, 08:00 PM
Square & Compas
Banned.

Bikes: Vision R40 Recumbent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fosmith
The woman is being detained while authorities take a blood sample for a toxicology test, and she likely will be arrested on a felony drunken-driving and hit-and-run complaints, he said.
Anyone else see a problem with this statement? "She likely will be arrested..." WTF? There's a chance she'll get off? And what about killing someone? All that is mentioned is felony drunken driving and hit and run. So what, another murderer is not prosectured for killing someone?
Old 06-09-09, 08:27 PM
maddyfish

Bikes: KHS steel SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is irratating about this is, she is only being charged (if she is) because she was drunk. Had she not been drunk (and just been a typical car driving idiot) and used the "I didn't see them" excuse, no charges would be filed.
Old 06-09-09, 08:28 PM
uke
it's easy if you let it.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CB HI
Another apparent DUI killer and hit&run driver.

Here is hoping for an very long jail term, 20+.
I'll be surprised if she actually serves a jail term. Past history suggests even drunk drivers are handed "one free murder" cards when the victim is a cyclist. Then again, she killed one over the limit, so they might have to put her away for a year or two. It certainly won't be anything close to 20.
Old 06-09-09, 08:33 PM
Dchiefransom

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
She felt so bad that she started drinking after she hit them?
Old 06-09-09, 09:28 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I was going to post about this 'event', but somebody beat me to it. Here's another source covering the story. There's a aerial shot of the scene.
Old 06-09-09, 09:33 PM
redtires
Extra Medium Member

Bikes: Fezzari Empire; State 6061 Allroad gravel; Scott Spark; Specialized Status 140

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Square & Compas
Anyone else see a problem with this statement? "She likely will be arrested..." WTF? There's a chance she'll get off? And what about killing someone? All that is mentioned is felony drunken driving and hit and run. So what, another murderer is not prosectured for killing someone?
I know what your saying, but that's actually kind of a "technical" statement. While she is in the hospital, she is legally being detained by police, when the docs are done with her, then she will be formally placed under arrest, and then transported to a county jail to be booked in with charges. I would be surprised as hell if they did not immediately arrest her as soon as she is released from the hospital's custody.
Old 06-09-09, 09:37 PM
SeattleShaun
Team Fat Boy

Bikes: Bridgestone MB3 Commuter, Surly Long Haul Trucker, and Custom Ti roadbike by High Ti Cycles

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
“We have problems with bicyclists on this road all the time being struck,” he said.

Um...no, you have a problem with negligent drivers....
Old 06-09-09, 09:48 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SeattleShaun
“We have problems with bicyclists on this road all the time being struck,” he said.

I thought that statement was odd as well. I live not too far from there.

I haven't heard about other cyclists being struck at all.
Old 06-09-09, 10:47 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
Originally Posted by SeattleShaun

No kidding, that's an 8 foot wide shoulder.
Old 06-09-09, 11:05 PM
biffstephens
Biker looking for a ride!

Bikes: Kuota Kreedo...looking for something different.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is a HUGE shoulder...I lived in Tulsa for 5 years and did the "bait shop" ride many many times. It can be a busy HWY and it is a HWY...I think the Speed limit is 55...

I don't remember anyone getting hit in the area either...

The sad thing is 2 people maybe 3 got killed for nothing. The punishment wont be enough and people will blame the cyclist for being there....Hopefully someone can turn this in to something to help people....
Old 06-10-09, 03:22 AM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
That driver may actually face some stiffer charges, depending on who has jurisdiction. Tulsa just recently attained 'bike friendly' status from the LAB. The Mayor, Chamber of Commerce, and the more savvy Realtors are all using that as marketing, since it's the only city/town in the state to have the designation.
Old 06-10-09, 04:44 AM
JonnyHK 

Bikes: Baum Romano, Brompton S2, Homemade Bamboo!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 129 Posts
Photos are very scary. Those bikes are just destroyed - a carbon bike in small pieces! The dent in the front of that SUV is huge.

Video footage showed the driver in handcuffs being loaded into a police car.
Old 06-10-09, 05:46 AM
jamesl
Tinkerer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I've ridden that road -- flat as a pancake, straight as an arrow, with at least 8 foot shoulders so cars can pull off safely. The only way you could hit a cyclist is by aiming -- or being blind drunk.

That driver may actually face some stiffer charges, depending on who has jurisdiction. Tulsa just recently attained 'bike friendly' status from the LAB. The Mayor, Chamber of Commerce, and the more savvy Realtors are all using that as marketing, since it's the only city/town in the state to have the designation.
The area is outside Tulsa city limits -- most likely Tulsa County or the suburb of Sand Springs.

Sad and so pointless. When I see a story like this I have to hold my breath hoping to god it's not someone I know....
Old 06-10-09, 07:00 AM
lewie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okies are sweet people an whatnot but I guessing the last think the woman expected to see on the road was some bikes in the middle of oklahoma. I heard Tony Randall was born near that town you have got to be kidding me lol
Old 06-10-09, 07:10 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
I suppose someone will say that "taking the lane" was the best solution...
Old 06-10-09, 07:41 AM
Cycho

Bikes: Canondale CAAD 10 3; Trek 7200; Motobecane Grand Sprint

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sad and senseless. I have to give kudos to the two motorists that were able to detain the homicidal driver when she tried to flee the scene.
Old 06-10-09, 09:46 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
I suspect the woman was aiming at what she thought was traffic far in front of her. I think that's what the blind guy that killed one of our professors was doing, he saw lights and aimed at them.
Old 06-10-09, 09:57 AM
maddyfish

Bikes: KHS steel SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
I generally say to be out in the lane. ANd I never ride on emergency lanes (shoulders) but a drunk behind the wheel trumps all strategies.
Old 06-10-09, 10:46 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by maddyfish
I generally say to be out in the lane. ANd I never ride on emergency lanes (shoulders) but a drunk behind the wheel trumps all strategies.
OK I'll take your drunk behind the wheel trump. (I agree there is no "strategy" for that)

But as to being out in the lane... did you look at this road in the videos?
Old 06-10-09, 12:41 PM
Feldman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 51 Posts
Never mind these candyass little crosses by the side of the road. Drunk drivers who have killed need to be shot dead at the wreck location, their heads severed and displayed on a pike.
Old 06-10-09, 12:58 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fosmith
Jesus....
https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/artic...0_SANDSP252506

Car collides with cyclists; two killed, one injured

An Oklahoma Highway Patrol trooper walks past the wreckage of an accident that killed two bicyclists Tuesday afternoon. A woman was driving east on Oklahoma 51 near Sand Springs when she stuck the cyclists and tried to leave the scene. MATT BARNARD/Tulsa World

By MATT BARNARD World Staff Writer
Published: 6/9/2009 4:58 PM
Last Modified: 6/9/2009 7:15 PM

SAND SPRINGS - Alcohol may have been involved in an automobile-bicycle collision that killed two people and injured another Tuesday afternoon, authorities said.

A woman in her early 30s was pronounced dead at the scene after medics arrived about 4 p.m., EMSA spokeswoman Tina Wells said.

A man who was thought to be 33 or 34 was flown by Life Flight to St. Francis Hospital in Tulsa, she said.

Another man, who is roughly the same age, was seriously injured and was taken by ambulance to St. John Medical Center in Tulsa, Wells said.

Oklahoma Highway Patrol Trooper Brian Warren said after 6 p.m. that one of the men had died.

Their names and that of the driver involved have not yet been released.

All three bicyclists were riding east on Oklahoma 51 near 165th West Avenue when they were struck by a vehicle.

Warren said the bicyclists were on the shoulder and that the woman’s car veered off the road and hit them before continuing into a ditch and knocking down a stop sign.

She eventually drove back onto the highway and continued east until a motorist who saw what had happened was able to get her to stop, Warren said.

After she had pulled over, the woman tried to drive away again but was stopped by another motorist, he said.

Troopers found an open container of alcohol in her car and said she seemed very disoriented, Warren said.

Warren said the stretch of highway is particularly dangerous for bicyclists and that bike crashes happen there frequently. This, he said, was the worst such wreck he has seen.

Part of the highway is closed down while investigators work and the road is cleared. More information will be posted as it becomes available.
Alcohol and cars and bikes do NOT mix. She should be charged with murder NOT vehicular manslaughter. As well as given a VERY stiff jail sentence and when she get's out have her license permanently suspended.

As well as having to do community service in a trauma ward, or with the disabled.
Old 06-10-09, 01:00 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Square & Compas
Anyone else see a problem with this statement? "She likely will be arrested..." WTF? There's a chance she'll get off? And what about killing someone? All that is mentioned is felony drunken driving and hit and run. So what, another murderer is not prosecuted for killing someone?
We had an "accident" down here in St. Pete a few months back where a woman struck a bicyclist from behind in the right hand turn lane. There were no charges pressed at the time of the "accident" by the FHP. Keeping in contact with the Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordinator's office I haven't yet heard IF any charges have been filed in the case.
Old 06-10-09, 01:02 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad
I was going to post about this 'event', but somebody beat me to it. Here's another source covering the story. There's a aerial shot of the scene.
That's one hell of a dent in the front of her truck. How fast was she traveling when she hit them?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.