Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Individuals Who Are No Longer Fit To Drive

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-12, 04:39 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Okay, this seems to be a recurring theme: mom or dad (or some other family member) has reached the point in their lives, where for whatever reason it is no longer safe for them to drive. "Everyone" knows it, but they're reluctant to take the keys, because they don't want to strip them of their independence, or it's too much work to drive them around, or whatever excuse they come up with.

Then one day the inevitable happens, mom or dad (or whatever family member) hits and kills someone. The kids are heard saying "we should have taken their keys."

Should they, by NOT having taken the keys when they knew that they should have, be also held responsible for the drivers actions?

Also, for those who don't want to be the "bad guy" by taking the keys, can't they contact the DMV or their doctor to do their "dirty work?"

Last edited by Digital_Cowboy; 09-01-12 at 05:59 PM.
Old 09-01-12, 06:13 PM
Essex

Bikes: Tarmac, Focus Urban 8, Giant Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't see how loved ones can be implicated unless power of attorney is given to the caretakers?
Old 09-01-12, 06:13 PM
AlabamaCommuter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, they should not be held responsible. If you really want to regulate elderly driving, then let the DMV handle it.
Old 09-01-12, 06:21 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy
Okay, this seems to be a recurring theme: mom or dad (or some other family member) has reached the point in their lives, where for whatever reason it is no longer safe for them to drive. "Everyone" knows it, but they're reluctant to take the keys, because they don't want to strip them of their independence, or it's too much work to drive them around, or whatever excuse they come up with.

Then one day the inevitable happens, mom or dad (or whatever family member) hits and kills someone. The kids are heard saying "we should have taken their keys."

Should they, by NOT having taken the keys when they knew that they should have, be also held responsible for the drivers actions?

Also, for those who don't want to be the "bad guy" by taking the keys, can't they contact the DMV or their doctor to do their "dirty work?"
I can see the emotional context of that kind of argument. But the legal argument would be too broad and thin.
Old 09-01-12, 07:07 PM
009jim

Bikes: Giant CRX3, Trek 7100

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
What if the person is only 18 is not fit to drive because of their really poor judgment and consistently breaking road rules? Should the parents be held responsible if they don't take away their keys?
Old 09-01-12, 10:58 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 009jim
What if the person is only 18 is not fit to drive because of their really poor judgment and consistently breaking road rules? Should the parents be held responsible if they don't take away their keys?
If the parents are providing the car, gas or insurance, then I think they should be held responsible for junior's poor driving decisions. Yes, I also think this should go for anyone you lend your car to.

Back to the OP: Many years ago there was a letter in either Dear Abby or Ann Landers. (I always get those twins mixed up.) Grandpa was clearly no longer capable of safely operating a motor vehicle, but no one wanted to be the "bad guy" and tell him it was time to give up driving. At a family gathering, grandpa put the car in drive instead of reverse, pressed firmly on the accelerator, and proceeded to remove both of his grandson's legs when he pinned them between his front end and the rear end of a parked car.

Two lessons here:
1. We all have a moral obligation to tell our elderly relatives when it "is time".
2. Stay well clear of cars that are being parked and removed from parking places.
Old 09-01-12, 11:08 PM
Shellyrides

Bikes: C1970 to 74 Peugeot, 80's Lotus 3000 m mountain bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In CA you can call the DMV and alert them to a problem. They in turn send out a letter stating they must come in for a driving test.The person who made the call is not reveled to the senior.
Old 09-01-12, 11:37 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Essex
I can't see how loved ones can be implicated unless power of attorney is given to the caretakers?
Fortunately or unfortunately (whichever way one chooses to look at it) that may be true. However, I would have to think that both morally and ethically one should have an obligation to report not only family members, but anyone who is an unsafe driver so that they can be retested.
Old 09-01-12, 11:39 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AlabamaCommuter
No, they should not be held responsible. If you really want to regulate elderly driving, then let the DMV handle it.
Ah, but how is the DMV suppose to "handle it" if no one has an "obligation" to step up?

And as I've said it seems to be a recurring theme. An elderly member of the family has demonstrated an inability to drive safely. They first start having "minor 'accidents.'" Then, sadly, they end up in an "accident" that kills an innocent bystander.

Last edited by Digital_Cowboy; 09-01-12 at 11:44 PM.
Old 09-01-12, 11:42 PM
Clarabelle

Bikes: Co-Motion Mocha, Fuji touring, Trex hybrid, Bike Friday Tandem Traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't see how the children can be held responsible if the parents are licensed and insured. If they were responsible, where would it end? Would I be responsible for my Aunt Agnes' erratic driving, or my cousin's nephew who was driving drunk?
Old 09-01-12, 11:47 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yes, particularly if as B. Carfree says they are providing the car, gas and insurance.
Old 09-01-12, 11:48 PM
Clarabelle

Bikes: Co-Motion Mocha, Fuji touring, Trex hybrid, Bike Friday Tandem Traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just to add on: When my father got too old and vision impaired, we took the keys away, but gave him an old fashion coaster bicycle at the same time. He rode all over our area on that bike, and to those who fretted about his safety, I said, "I'd rather he die doing something he enjoyed rather than wasting away in a rest home bed." Sadly, it was the latter; dementia took his mind but left his body to slowly rot away. I always felt good about the bicycle.
Old 09-01-12, 11:50 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
If the parents are providing the car, gas or insurance, then I think they should be held responsible for junior's poor driving decisions. Yes, I also think this should go for anyone you lend your car to.

Back to the OP: Many years ago there was a letter in either Dear Abby or Ann Landers. (I always get those twins mixed up.) Grandpa was clearly no longer capable of safely operating a motor vehicle, but no one wanted to be the "bad guy" and tell him it was time to give up driving. At a family gathering, grandpa put the car in drive instead of reverse, pressed firmly on the accelerator, and proceeded to remove both of his grandson's legs when he pinned them between his front end and the rear end of a parked car.

Two lessons here:
1. We all have a moral obligation to tell our elderly relatives when it "is time".
2. Stay well clear of cars that are being parked and removed from parking places.
Agreed, if the family had told grandpa it's time to stop driving, then the grandson would still have his legs.

I'll also add stay behind cars being operated by teenagers who are learning to drive.
Old 09-01-12, 11:57 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Shellyrides
In CA you can call the DMV and alert them to a problem. They in turn send out a letter stating they must come in for a driving test.The person who made the call is not reveled to the senior.
I think that as well as alerting a doctor is probably the best way to handle it. As well as, as has been suggested before. More frequent testing of EVERYONE is in order.
Old 09-02-12, 12:01 AM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Clarabelle
I don't see how the children can be held responsible if the parents are licensed and insured. If they were responsible, where would it end? Would I be responsible for my Aunt Agnes' erratic driving, or my cousin's nephew who was driving drunk?
If you know that they're a danger to either themselves or to others, don't you think that at the very least that you have a moral and ethical obligation to report them?
Old 09-02-12, 02:25 AM
009jim

Bikes: Giant CRX3, Trek 7100

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Agreed, if the family had told grandpa it's time to stop driving, then the grandson would still have his legs.

I'll also add stay behind cars being operated by teenagers who are learning to drive.
I don't get near cars being operated by anyone of any age.
Old 09-02-12, 05:37 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
And as I've said it seems to be a recurring theme. An elderly member of the family has demonstrated an inability to drive safely. They first start having "minor 'accidents.'" Then, sadly, they end up in an "accident" that kills an innocent bystander.
Yes YOU have said it and you believe what you want to believe about an alleged "recurring pattern" of accidents by the elderly prior to their killing someone else. Any chance you can document this "recurring pattern" that prompts your proposals for broad assignment of "responsibility" for car key confiscation from the elderly.
Old 09-02-12, 05:58 AM
Essex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fortunately or unfortunately (whichever way one chooses to look at it) that may be true. However, I would have to think that both morally and ethically one should have an obligation to report not only family members, but anyone who is an unsafe driver so that they can be retested.
Agreed. It makes sense to ensure safety on the road for all. More states should have the California anonymous testing procedure.

Cheers,

Essex
Old 09-02-12, 06:22 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Shellyrides
Ya mean anyone can anonymously call in a complaint about anybody else and the CA DMV will send out a letter and demand a retest with no other evidence? Sounds like a good avenue for cranks and self appointed Dudley-Do-Rights to harass their family, neighbors and/or total strangers.
Old 09-02-12, 07:00 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
The whole idea is subjective until they fail a vision or driving exam. Nobody else can be held liable unless, they are providing a vehicle for them to drive. It's usually best, from a liability standpoint, for a licensed teen to have a car registered in his name and be responsible for his own insurance also. My mother is at that point where she is not able to drive safely but can't admit that to herself. We are doing everything in the world to keep her from driving again. Hopefully, she will fail her next test.

Marc
Old 09-02-12, 08:05 AM
Essex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Ya mean anyone can anonymously call in a complaint about anybody else and the CA DMV will send out a letter and demand a retest with no other evidence? Sounds like a good avenue for cranks and self appointed Dudley-Do-Rights to harass their family, neighbors and/or total strangers.
I highly doubt that the CA DMV would send out a retest if they are not factoring in bits of data like - driving record, age, existing ailments and who is reporting - like direct family etc.

A google search seems to indicate family members vs. others.
Old 09-02-12, 08:27 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

I highly doubt that the CA DMV would send out a retest if they are not factoring in bits of data like - driving record, age, existing ailments and who is reporting - like direct family etc.

A google search seems to indicate family members vs. others.
Then they don't act on anonymous calls? Sounds like it may not be an adequate tool for some of our more aggressive "advocates" who would like to pull keys from as many motorists as possible for whatever reason they deem any adult is "not fit to drive."
Old 09-02-12, 08:30 AM
Essex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Sounds like it may not be an adequate tool for some of our more aggressive "advocates" who would like to pull keys from as many motorists as possible for whatever reason they deem an adult is "not fit to drive."
Again, I would imagine that the DMV would have safeguards / laws /layers designed to avoid possible litigation based on whatever 'anonymous' reporting protocols they have.
Old 09-02-12, 08:35 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Again, I would imagine that the DMV would have safeguards / laws /layers designed to avoid possible litigation based on whatever 'anonymous' reporting protocols they have.
I hope so. As this thread, and others on this forum indicate, there are at least some cyclists who are quite eager to make a "report" or have a report made against any and all "individuals" that rub the reporter/snitch the wrong way as "unfit to drive."

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 09-02-12 at 09:17 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 09-02-12, 09:17 AM
SlowNeasy

Bikes: new Trek3700,Experianced Raleigh500RT.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A co-worker of mine back in the 70s did just this. His father in his 80s no longer recognized traffic signals or even curbs. Had several accidents and kept driving. Friend went to the State of Fl. and after several affidavits and hearings the Father's DL was revoked Lic.Tags pulled. Old man was pretty upset didn't speak to son for a long while. Friend said' that's allright ,Pop isn't going to get killed of kill someone'.
This was an extreme case, and the friend was an Officer who saw and got reports of the old guys driving.
But is this really a big problem or are our younger riders just angry at old people?
At least from what I see , I get menaced by young and middle aged drivers a lot more than elderly ones and that's in Fl. where there are lots of seniors. How do we test for that.
Sure teenage drivers have better vision and lightning reflexes. So why does if seem they are the last ones to see the accident/blue lights ahead, or the Officer out in the street directing traffic?
Why do the insurance companies charge the young driver more for insurance ?
So if we are going to go after groups of people, who are the most dangerous? Let's get them!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.